• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plus-size model Tess Holliday’s Cosmopolitan magazine cover stirs controversy

hecatomb

Banned
Her bmi annointed medical condition is morbidly obese, but for modeling it's just plus sized.

You actually have no idea how long she's going to live.
I mean you can lower the risk of diabetes, cancer, heart attack, liver disease, kidney disease, just by not being overweight. Seems like being overweight doesn't have any benefits at all does it.

I actually agree with @ssolitare that there's no point harping about how long she'll live, especially speculations about dying extremely young. Though I feel like calling her plus-sized sets a bad standard for women who are more curvy and much less overweight, as they definitely don't want to be caught in the same category as Tess Holliday.

Kinda thinking about it, this thread has surprisingly more replies than I expected. I mean, I assume most agree that Cosmopolitan can use whoever they want for their cover, that people are allowed to find her unattractive/ugly due to her weight, that people are also allowed to find her pretty because of her weight and that being too overweight isn't good, like being too skinny isn't good. Most would probably also agree that shaming is a double-edged blade, as it can either cause someone to get motivated or it can cause them to gain even more weight. Likely what Cosmopolitan should do is promote people that are overweight and who struggle and attempt to get thinner and healthier.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
She's making that money as a plus sized model, so she has incentive to keep being one.

But I suspect as a semi public figure going back to a size 18 would net her a subway contract and even more money.

Dirty.

I must add that it's essentially nonsense to involve her money in this because really. What is her health benefiting her that money will? Just contemplation.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
This just means there are enough fat people who are just looking to validate their own beliefs. It's embarrassing honestly

Not much different than If anorexic women stood up for their unhealthy habits and attempted to normalize it. However unlike morbidly obese folks, these are the very small minority

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dirty.

I must add that it's essentially nonsense to involve her money in this because really. What is her health benefiting her that money will? Just contemplation.

To add, she is being rewarded to encourge gluttony... meanwhile there are starving women and children in this world. Let that shit sink in when you want to toss around Tessa the Hutt's "millie" rhetoric.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I actually agree with @ssolitare that there's no point harping about how long she'll live, especially speculations about dying extremely young. Though I feel like calling her plus-sized sets a bad standard for women who are more curvy and much less overweight, as they definitely don't want to be caught in the same category as Tess Holliday.

Kinda thinking about it, this thread has surprisingly more replies than I expected. I mean, I assume most agree that Cosmopolitan can use whoever they want for their cover, that people are allowed to find her unattractive/ugly due to her weight, that people are also allowed to find her pretty because of her weight and that being too overweight isn't good, like being too skinny isn't good. Most would probably also agree that shaming is a double-edged blade, as it can either cause someone to get motivated or it can cause them to gain even more weight. Likely what Cosmopolitan should do is promote people that are overweight and who struggle and attempt to get thinner and healthier.

I think a part of it is , is that her half naked figure is just shocking, especially for cosmopolitan. Though it isn't that shocking to see someone like that when I go shopping. I'm kinda mixed on the issue.

thief183

It took me years of work to get back in a healty state. And Now I have to see this kind of bullshit.

Being this much overweight is also a cost for the whole population in states with state provided health care.

Obese ppl will probably need more cures payed by everyone taxes.

This should not be encouraged at all.

Ew. More like plus plus plus plus. Come on that's not beautiful, nor is it healthy.

Edit:

"plus size"? Bruh she is supersized. And its gross. I bet she will cost us a pretty penny in taxes for her triple bypass and surgery to amputate her leg from diabetes.
"pie_tears_joy:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wouldn't she have to remove a lot of skin if that happened, anyway? Otherwise she'd get saggy arms, legs and probably all the rest

I would assume so. Usually done on the inside parts of the arms, etc., so scaring is less noticeable I think.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I am not surprised we have gotten to this point.

Fat people want to ride the train of unabashed vanity too. After all that's the world we live in right now, and you only get one life. It's not like the Cosmo fat bitch can come back and live again in the 90s as a Kate Moss lookalike.

You do you sister.

Mahadev

Her bmi annointed medical condition is morbidly obese, but for modeling it's just plus sized.

You actually have no idea how long she's going to live.

Well, I can tell that statistically she's not gonna live longer than me. I can also conclude that magazines glorifying this condition are irresponsible, obnoxious and pretty fucking condescending. No, being fat isn't attractive or "beautiful" no matter how much you try to make it so.

Last edited:

TFGB

I feel sorry for the Funeral Director that has to deal with that. I hope she wants to be buried because she won’t fit in a cremator.

I love today's NeoGaf. The old fascist bots would have this thread locked then banned the OP quicker than this chicks thighs rubbing together making a fire with her pantyhose.

Traianvs

As a former obese kid, I'm all for fighting bullying against fat people, but at the same time I find all this "you're beautiful too, accept and love your body" unhealty at least.

God knows I spent hell years while at school, being the fat kid is something I wouldn't wish to my worst enemy, but when I see obese kids I'd like to beat the living shits out of their parents.

There's nothing ok with being obese, nothing to accept or love. Modern society should have the moral duty to fight this kind of unhealty habit, while at the same time protecting and helping fat people to change their lifestyle.

I don't hate obese people, don't misunderstand me, I was one of them in the past, that's why I know when I say that there's no more beautiful feeling of changing your life for the better, watching your body getting in shape, being able to shop with your friends without being ashamed of not being able to find shirts of your size or going to pub evenings without the fear that everyone's mocking at you.

I'm not saying to be obsessed with your body, to strive for the perfect shape. I mean, if you can more power to you. Just try everyday to live an healtier lifestile. It's not so hard, I didn't even follow a specific diet... just cut the shit, eat less, eat health, eat everything, try to cook starting with base ingredients and not with premade foods... and move a little. Just walk, go out, take you bicycle.

Alfadawg

Banned
We shouldn't be insulting people who are fat but at the same time we shouldn't be celebrating it.

I've been skinny, I've been fat, now I'm jacked but honestly, being fat isn't good for you on so many levels.

The model is beautiful though, she would be a 10 if she was healthy and in shape.

McCheese

Good on her, to be honest it makes a nice change from size zero Instagram models. I would want my daughter growing up knowing beauty isn't defined by one specific set of standards.

Her weight is unhealthy, but it's not a health and fitness magazine. So what's the problem?

I don't care that she's morbidly obese. But I do agree with the sentiment that this shouldn't be normalized or celebrated. She's a good looking girl that looks almost imprisoned by her body. If she wants to live her life super fat and without the ability to do what most people can or want to, by all means have at it, but we shouldn't pretend that this is the new normal and healthy. I'm a fat dude and I know that I'm not very healthy and I should be. People need to learn to be honest with themselves and not avoid the truth just because it's uncomfortable or inconvenient to discuss openly.

Last edited:
I don't know why people are pushing for this over-weight movement, its like they just want people to be lazy and get diabetes. Like how does that benefit anyone?

I don't mind it. Less people is a good thing. Especially when stupidity takes them out.
I'm wondering how far that heart of hers is going to go before it shuts down. You can't even spin this positively.

I want to feel bad for her. I've read up extensively on heart conditions and she is example prime for the medical books.
Shame too, she is sexy, just.. too big for my tastes.

Good on her, to be honest it makes a nice change from size zero Instagram models. I would want my daughter growing up knowing beauty isn't defined by one specific set of standards.

Her weight is unhealthy, but it's not a health and fitness magazine. So what's the problem?
The problem is the beauty institution has been propped up by beauty industries as well as cosmo for years. Now they are changing their tune but instead of adjusting beauty they are flipping the tables.

Instead of using words, mental health and the lack of beauty products to be beautiful and push natural self they are pushing the same ol same ol bullshit industry and just saying they’ll let mentally ill people who can’t keep a fried chicken and 2liter of soda out their diet into the fold and glorify them as long as you obfuscate the nasty with trendy bullshit that will still sell product.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The problem is the beauty institution has been propped up by beauty industries as well as cosmo for years. Now they are changing their tune but instead of adjusting beauty they are flipping the tables.

Instead of using words, mental health and the lack of beauty products to be beautiful and push natural self they are pushing the same ol same ol bullshit industry and just saying they’ll let mentally ill people who can’t keep a fried chicken and 2liter of soda out their diet into the fold and glorify them as long as you obfuscate the nasty with trendy bullshit.

Oh we remember. Sir Mix-A-Lot:

So Cosmo says you're fat
Well I ain't down with that
'Cause your waist is small and your curves are kickin'
And I'm thinkin' bout stickin'

Yet Cosmo went full monty and skipped over the divine thiccness and went straight to the coronary.

Last edited:

McCheese

Instead of using words, mental health and the lack of beauty products to be beautiful and push natural self they are pushing the same ol same ol bullshit industry and just saying they’ll let mentally ill people who can’t keep a fried chicken and 2liter of soda out their diet into the fold and glorify them as long as you obfuscate the nasty with trendy bullshit that will still sell product.

Nobody is going to decide to get fat because they see a fat person on the cover, but this will hopefully help fat people feel more confident in themselves. I suspect a lot of people don't lose weight because of lack of body confidence, not wanting to go to the gym etc or wear workout gear. This girl rocking it on a cover despite being extremely overweight, sends a positive message. Plus let's look at the larger context, every other magazine this month had a actor, supermodel of buff gym-bro on the front of it.

Last edited:
Nobody is going to decide to get fat because they see a fat person on the cover, but this will hopefully help fat people feel more confident in themselves. I suspect a lot of people don't lose weight because of lack of body confidence, not wanting to go to the gym etc or wear workout gear. This girl rocking it on a cover despite being extremely overweight, sends a positive message. Plus let's look at the larger context, every other magazine this month had a actor, supermodel of buff gym-bro on the front of it.

Why should severely obese people feel confidant in their bodies? Their bodies are unattractive to the vast majority of the population.

Again, coming from someone who used to be severely obese, why would I have felt confidant in my body? Why would I go to a beach in swim trunks and flop around and look disgusting and feel GOOD about it? It's disgusting, and I was perfectly normal for thinking it was. When I did go the gym as I lost weight, I went late at night (like 11 or midnight) and wore baggy clothes. Nothing wrong with that. You can walk a mile or two on the treadmill, run through some machines, and build up some stamina and muscles just fine like that. When you are big you are going to sweat, so not hogging machines in a busy gym longer while you clean up is just courtesy. You don't even need a trainer - just Google correct stances and position and whatnot.

What got me to lose weight was concerns about my health as I got in my upper 20s, and wanting to be in a better position for a relationship. Which goes back to the earlier comment - I recognized that I was unattractive, in both a cosmetic sense and an intimate sense. I would be likely to die in my 40s or 50s, so why would someone want to be with me just to lose me to what amounts to food addiction?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

TFW we live on a timeline where a parody is encouraged irl

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
She has a pretty face. That’s the lure.

It is kinda... funny. I believe that we can all agree on this, yet the discussion at hand is the "beautification of the overweight." Clearly, that is the only thing Cosmopolitan expected people to fall for to purchase this issue. I say this with complete understanding of the negative implications that may be tied, but truly I cannot comprehend why we lie to ourselves like this with no restraint.

Last edited:
Why should severely obese people feel confidant in their bodies? Their bodies are unattractive to the vast majority of the population.

Again, coming from someone who used to be severely obese, why would I have felt confidant in my body? Why would I go to a beach in swim trunks and flop around and look disgusting and feel GOOD about it? It's disgusting, and I was perfectly normal for thinking it was. When I did go the gym as I lost weight, I went late at night (like 11 or midnight) and wore baggy clothes. Nothing wrong with that. You can walk a mile or two on the treadmill, run through some machines, and build up some stamina and muscles just fine like that. When you are big you are going to sweat, so not hogging machines in a busy gym longer while you clean up is just courtesy. You don't even need a trainer - just Google correct stances and position and whatnot.

What got me to lose weight was concerns about my health as I got in my upper 20s, and wanting to be in a better position for a relationship. Which goes back to the earlier comment - I recognized that I was unattractive, in both a cosmetic sense and an intimate sense. I would be likely to die in my 40s or 50s, so why would someone want to be with me just to lose me to what amounts to food addiction?

There's more to life then your body. People accept other short-comings all of the time. The issue really is the unecessary costs to the health system.

The funny thing is, is that fatness is not the exception. If magizines modeled reality, it'd sing an entirely different tune. But we won't get to that, we'll concentrate on one extreme and dabble in another.

Trying to shame people based on idealizations for the lack of assimilation is a little strange to me.

We live in societies that are more health conscious than ever, and obese people walking around with confidence won't change that.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's more to life then your body. People accept other short-comings all of the time. The issue really is the unecessary costs to the health system.

The funny thing is, is that fatness is not the exception. If magizines modeled reality, it'd sing an entirely different tune. But we won't get to that, we'll concentrate on one extreme and dabble in another.

Trying to shame people based on idealizations for the lack of assimilation is a little strange to me.

We live in societies that are more health conscious than ever, and obese people walking around with confidence won't change that.

I don't think I ever had people make fun of me for my weight, even in high school, aside from my parents. At least not to my face AFAIK. Hell, I had girls in college who would come up and flirt with me out on campus (like at a dining hall or study lounge), but I was far too self-conscious to ever reciprocate (not that I really can any).

I'm not sure fat-shaming actually exists in an explicit way. Obviously, there is implicit shaming (most people wouldn't want to see this model in a bikini, for example), but that is "fat-shaming" in the same way that a straight guy not wanting to watch a gay guy strip and helicopter would be "homophobic".

And I see it as the reverse - the healthcare system, just like all markets, exists to serve the needs of the marketplace. Asking people to adapt to make the markets fit some arbitrary metric is the road to corporatism.

tumblr_nr4rdosOKB1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

guggnichso

Banned
There's no universe where her knees are anything but ugly.

She has no knees anymore.

Seriously, replacing one unhealthy body image with another unhealthy body image is NOT the way to go. Why does everything have to be so extreme these days?

The hunger games 14year old androgyne models of the late 80s and 90s were definitely promoting a harmful body image, but normalizing morbidly obese body images is just as harmful.

llien

I mean you can lower the risk of diabetes, cancer, heart attack, liver disease, kidney disease, just by not being overweight. Seems like being overweight doesn't have any benefits at all does it.
True, but you should't mix "obese" with merely overweight.

I would want my daughter growing up knowing beauty isn't defined by one specific set of standards.

Her weight is not simply unhealthy, she has crossed a number of "very dangerous for your health" red lines.

One doesn't need to be thin to look attractive. For many attractive looking would mean slightly overweight, not thin.
But this...
Look again at her legs. There is NO beauty standard that accepts THAT unhealthy looking people as attractive and that is the major problem with the message.

Papa

Banned

I’m all for not judging people by things they have no control over, i.e. immutable characteristics. Obesity is not one of those things.

She has no knees anymore.

Seriously, replacing one unhealthy body image with another unhealthy body image is NOT the way to go. Why does everything have to be so extreme these days?

The hunger games 14year old androgyne models of the late 80s and 90s were definitely promoting a harmful body image, but normalizing morbidly obese body images is just as harmful.

That's what I don't get, the prior decade certainly took things too far in the opposite direction, there is such a thing as too skinny that is neither healthy nor attractive.

So it was totally reasonable to bring some balance to it, some curvier women look absolutely fine, but it's the story of the 2010s, everything always has to be taken too far these days.

guggnichso

Banned
That's what I don't get, the prior decade certainly took things too far in the opposite direction, there is such a thing as too skinny that is neither healthy nor attractive.

So it was totally reasonable to bring some balance to it, some curvier women look absolutely fine, but it's the story of the 2010s, everything always has to be taken too far these days.

I think it’s not about „curvier“ women, I think it should be about normal sized women. Hell, even normally fit women would be ok to promote a healthy body image for young girls. Also normally fit dudes should be used as models because this shit is a problem for males too.

You don’t have to have an extreme body to be attractive. I would LOVE to see average women and average men in advertising. Promoting extremes in body images is a problem and needs to be curbed.

Zoe

If Cosmo wants to go with a more Rubenesque look that should be looking at someone built along the lines of Lucy Collett (former UK page 3 model) whose definitely plus size, but not necessarily obese: -

She is definitely obese.

Part of the problem is people denying that someone is obese if they carry their weight well. Obese is a medical term. It has nothing to do with looks, and it’s a LOT smaller than most people thing.

In general, normal plus sizes ARE obese.

Top Bottom