• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plus-size model Tess Holliday’s Cosmopolitan magazine cover stirs controversy

Greedings

She is definitely obese.

Part of the problem is people denying that someone is obese if they carry their weight well. Obese is a medical term. It has nothing to do with looks, and it’s a LOT smaller than most people thing.

In general, normal plus sizes ARE obese.

It depends on how you define obese. In terms of BMI, yeah, a lot of people are obese. I'm obese. I'm also pretty strong and fit. Body fat percentages are a far more realistic measurement, but are ignored because it takes 5 mins for a doctor to work out your BMI.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It depends on how you define obese. In terms of BMI, yeah, a lot of people are obese. I'm obese. I'm also pretty strong and fit. Body fat percentages are a far more realistic measurement, but are ignored because it takes 5 mins for a doctor to work out your BMI.

Yeah, BMI is very inaccurate when muscle densitiy comes into play. Athletes/Body Builders, etc., would be "obese" or "overweight" on the BMI chart. For your average person however, it does serve as a starting point.

But as you said, BF% is a much more accurate indicator.

prag16

Banned
at least she has a lot of room for tattoos.
But what are those tattoos gonna look like if she ever loses a significant amount of weight?

I'm not for shitting on people for being fat. But we shouldn't be normalizing this type of morbid obesity either, obviously.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You lift bro?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sorry, but she's straight up obese. This is NOT a healthy body ideal (just like being too skinny).

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
If you haven't decided by now, Liberal powers find every single "victim" class and offer them a wave of support. People that look like her don't deserve ridicule, but this is too much. She is disgusting looking and extremely unhealthy. None of this needs to be glorified.

hecatomb

Banned
True, but you should't mix "obese" with merely overweight.

Her weight is not simply unhealthy, she has crossed a number of "very dangerous for your health" red lines.

One doesn't need to be thin to look attractive. For many attractive looking would mean slightly overweight, not thin.
But this...
Look again at her legs. There is NO beauty standard that accepts THAT unhealthy looking people as attractive and that is the major problem with the message.
Yes I know you can be overweight and still be in shape like how the words strongest man is like 6'9 and he weighs like 400 pounds, hafþór júlíus björnsson is his name. Though he's all muscle and not fat. That girl on the cover though is just fat, she has no muscle.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with beauty. That's something for medical literature on obesity.

Just as (potentially) dangerous as size 0 teenage models.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes I know you can be overweight and still be in shape like how the words strongest man is like 6'9 and he weighs like 400 pounds, hafþór júlíus björnsson is his name. Though he's all muscle and not fat. That girl on the cover though is just fat, she has no muscle.

Haf%C3%BEor-Julius-Bjoernsson-and-girlfriend-678716.jpg

This guy is a monster. I love it!

Kadayi

Banned
She is definitely obese.

Part of the problem is people denying that someone is obese if they carry their weight well. Obese is a medical term. It has nothing to do with looks, and it’s a LOT smaller than most people thing.

In general, normal plus sizes ARE obese.

Obese isn't an exclusive medical term. It might be used as a categorization within the profession, but it wasn't born out of it.

Bryank75

Banned
But what are those tattoos gonna look like if she ever loses a significant amount of weight?

I'm not for shitting on people for being fat. But we shouldn't be normalizing this type of morbid obesity either, obviously.

Bet she could get the whole Bayeux Tapestry on there....

As someone who weighs more than I'd like to, I feel conflicted on this.

Should you be able to love yourself no matter how you look/feel/exist-as? Maybe, I suppose so.

Do you need to be lauded for it? Be told how "brave you are" for whatever? I don't think so.

I assume everyone can agree being that overweight is not advantageous for a long healthy life.

I am sure there are a decent amount of people who are attracted to her and that look, and more power to them, whatever floats their boat.

I don't think she should be a role model for people though.

brap

Banned
If you’re objecting to Tess’s placement on the cover of a magazine, what you’re really saying is that anyone who is medically overweight or obese deserves to be miserable. Is that really the person that you want to be?
Lmao you don't know how I think at all you fucking idiots. You really wanna support morbidly obese people? Is that really the person that you want to be?
she got a fat ass doe ngl

As someone who weighs more than I'd like to, I feel conflicted on this.

Should you be able to love yourself no matter how you look/feel/exist-as? Maybe, I suppose so.

Do you need to be lauded for it? Be told how "brave you are" for whatever? I don't think so.

I assume everyone can agree being that overweight is not advantageous for a long healthy life.

I am sure there are a decent amount of people who are attracted to her and that look, and more power to them, whatever floats their boat.

I don't think she should be a role model for people though.

Similar boat. Gaining weight for people like me doesn't take a lot of effort--grab a few Cokes and some chips, sit in front of a PC doing work or playing games, voila, you gain weight.

What's "brave" for someone like me is being willing to sacrifice stuff I like (snacks, soft drinks, etc.) so that I can be in better health.

I don't believe people should be shamed for having a type of body, but I do believe that there needs to be information about the objective risks that certain body types entail. If a certain body type is more of a health risk, then it should not be celebrated as something to look up at. There is definitely a middle ground between "shaming a body type" and "celebrating a body type."

Last edited:

bitbydeath

what you’re really saying is that anyone who is medically overweight or obese deserves to be miserable. Is that really the person that you want to be?

0e3.png

Seriously though, if being miserable and/or depressed is what they need to give them a kick in the right direction then I'm all for it.

manfestival

I like how society went from all of these weight loss programs being huge(still very popular mind you) to... this whole love yourself trend. Granted loving yourself would actually mean to take care of your body since you would want to live longer cause you love your life and yourself and etc.... but I guess it has come down to not caring about yourself and accepting yourself regardless of what you let yourself become

I like how society went from all of these weight loss programs being huge(still very popular mind you) to... this whole love yourself trend. Granted loving yourself would actually mean to take care of your body since you would want to live longer cause you love your life and yourself and etc.... but I guess it has come down to not caring about yourself and accepting yourself regardless of what you let yourself become

well a lot of those weight loss things in the past were scams or those like appetite killing pills that all those people died from kind of went away. i think what emerged is a lot of gym culture stuff and while i hate that stupid kind of gym rat mentality its better than the alternative which is just being lazy. a lot of this fat acceptance thing is still fringe and youll have the usual suspects championing this view but its still very much a minority

Dunki

Nobody is going to decide to get fat because they see a fat person on the cover, but this will hopefully help fat people feel more confident in themselves. I suspect a lot of people don't lose weight because of lack of body confidence, not wanting to go to the gym etc or wear workout gear. This girl rocking it on a cover despite being extremely overweight, sends a positive message. Plus let's look at the larger context, every other magazine this month had a actor, supermodel of buff gym-bro on the front of it.
look if she was overweight I had no problem with this but this here is a health hazard and should not be encouraged. If you want to destroy your body and raise the risk of dying you can do what you want but to encourage others that this is ok is even upsetting me. No you are not ok and People like this need professional help.

Last edited:
well a lot of those weight loss things in the past were scams or those like appetite killing pills that all those people died from kind of went away. i think what emerged is a lot of gym culture stuff and while i hate that stupid kind of gym rat mentality its better than the alternative which is just being lazy. a lot of this fat acceptance thing is still fringe and youll have the usual suspects championing this view but its still very much a minority

I appreciate and see the struggle that people go through. Whether you start skinny and get big, or were basically big your whole life, it takes drastic change to lose significant weight, and for many its an infinite struggle.

JordanN

Banned
So apparently there was a thread on Resetera where they lost their minds over a GAF thread on some overweight model.

I finally had to go see what the hub bub was about and I wasn't expecting her to be THAT big.

While I personally don't care if someone wants to eat themselves into the size of a fridge, in no way do I have to accept or congratulate people who are extremely obese.

Like someone mentioned a few posts up, this type of female representation is more damaging and honestly, just revolting on the eyes compared to any sexualized video game character.
Video games are at least fake and treated as entertainment. Being obese has real life consequences and if it doesn't kill you today, it will kill you through diabetes, heart disease or asthma.

llien

That's not what I meant by "slightly overweight" though.
Women are more curvy in general, having 3 layers of fat cells, where men have only one.

DfjDuGY.png

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
While I get that she's obese and that we probably shouldn't celebrate her body figure, some of the language in here is pretty hurtful and disgusting. You can discuss this topic without letting the world know that you wouldn't want to have sex with this woman or how long you predict she will live for.

eot

Banned
Being a strongman is extremely unhealthy too, they're not free from heart problems. We're not made to be that big.

While I get that she's obese and that we probably shouldn't celebrate her body figure, some of the language in here is pretty hurtful and disgusting. You can discuss this topic without letting the world know that you wouldn't want to have sex with this woman or how long you predict she will live for.

nah i dont believe that shit. sometimes people need rude awakenings. sometimes people REALLY need it. she has a super pretty face thats why not one has never questioned her. you cant coddle people because i think it does more damage than good. if i was fucking up my life id rather people be stern and honestly probably kind of mean in the way they talk to me instead of someone just bouncing around the issue.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If you’re objecting to Tess’s placement on the cover of a magazine, what you’re really saying is that anyone who is medically overweight or obese deserves to be miserable. Is that really the person that you want to be?
Medically obese.... I chuckle every time I read this. People do love to put their problems somewhere out of their control, do they?

I have seen this being said and written so many times but I have actually yet to meet a person that is medically obese... Everyone else is just saying this crap so they don't have to feel guilty when downing a burrito every evening. Pathetic...

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
There's body confidence, which is fine and good and a positive thing...

...and then there's "what people find attractive" which are two completely separate things.

...and then there's health...which is kind of inarguable.

_____

I applaud this person for having the confidence to do something like this and be OK with her own image.

I don't find her attractive pretty much from the neck down.

She is unquestionably not healthy.

_____

I have no problem with people being comfortable in their skin. I envy it, actually. I've had body shame issues basically my entire life, and I was never as bad as the woman in this picture. To be on the cover of a magazine, knowing how controversial it would be and just being good with it is very much a positive thing in her life.

The problem comes in when someone tells me that I'm supposed to find her beautiful. That's my opinion, and just because she shouldn't be shamed for how she is doesn't mean I need to find her attractive.

And anyone defending her health or encouraging her to stay this way cares more about the social acceptability of letting people be unhealthy than actually encouraging them to live a longer and more fruitful life.

Dunki

Also I think someone needs to post this as well. No one said she should be made miserable but she should not be encouraged and there is the difference here. Just look at what kind of problems you can get?

MedicalComplicationsofObesity.jpg

Top Bottom