• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If u liked the fall, def check out the switcher
Puzzle adventure game
I couldn't find anything, did you mean Swapper? If so, yeah that was amazing.

The Dude

So many great games coming out, this genre is one of my all time favorites...It's been so awesome seeing the adventure games thriving and putting out fresh new titles.

How's Obduction btw? Are the puzzles somewhat doable without a guide?

Tizoc

Night of the Rabbit feels like the English translation suffers from the usual Daedalic issue of being competent but not translating well from German to English.

Tizoc

Primordia's neat so far. The grimy post apocalyptic-like setting isn't so bad.
Crispin's cool though.

Tizoc

Which ver. of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy is worth playing? Original or Remake?

Gonna start Resonance soon.

EDIT: Ooof triple post, will avoid that in the future :X

TripleSun

People looking forward to The Wardrobe like me will have to wait a little while longer since according to the newsletter it is being pushed back to Feb. 15

Think it was supposed to come out today and I was excited to pick it up but yeah 3 weeks isn't much.

ubique

Which ver. of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy is worth playing? Original or Remake?

Gonna start Resonance soon.

EDIT: Ooof triple post, will avoid that in the future :X

As far as I know the remaster is basically identical to the original. And that means that no version is worth playing

I finally managed to get Blade Runner running here. Never played it, so I'm looking forward to it

If anyone's interested btw I reviewed 2064: Read Only Memories last week and, like most of point and click Gaf I imagine, thoroughly enjoyed the game's retro inspired aesthetic with modern sensibilities/accessibility (especially in terms of inclusive characters)!

Also did an interview with the CEO and director of Midboss to come in video form...SHORTLY! :)

Tizoc

Contrary tomwhat my custom tag says i cannot create threads
By march or april inhope to put a thread about the pnc games i had played
Hopefully by then inwould have finished playing at least 20'titles ;p

Btw should i olay post mortem before still life 1 or after?

Tizoc

I liked Promordia actually. Wadjet Eye for the most part make wonderful PnC games despite their flaws.

OK got the part where the entire group meet up and the plot thickens! Although I felt things progressed a little too fast there but whatevs.

EDIT: I am stuck at this puzzle in Resonance, how do I solve it?
KsVidfN.png

EDIT: OOOOOH WAIT
M20 in the archive screen is where it starts FROM. In my case it is +4 Letters, -2 Numbers.
M+4= Q
20-2=18

Q18

Tizoc

That's Resonance completed
I did not like Ed killing Anna esp. since she was going to do what he actually wanted.
Is there really no way to save Anna?
I chose the ending where I kill Ed and published the article about Eleven Foundation.

While I enjoyed it I feel like the whole 'Illuminati want to monitor the world' angle wasn't that well established.

That's Resonance completed
I did not like Ed killing Anna esp. since she was going to do what he actually wanted.
Is there really no way to save Anna?
I chose the ending where I kill Ed and published the article about Eleven Foundation.

While I enjoyed it I feel like the whole 'Illuminati want to monitor the world' angle wasn't that well established.

Yeah, I didn't want to say while you were still playing, but the ending of resonance feels really abrupt. I dunno if the dev ran out of time/money or what. I can't believe that's what they were going for since it was so good up to that point. It's like Book of Unwritten Tales in that way.

Slaythe

https://www.twitch.tv/wadjeteyegames

Dave Gilbert streaming some Blackwell Epiphany !

The guy is charming so feel free to join !

The Resonance ending was indeed modified, but I think it did benefit from the change. Despite how abrupt it feels. I respect it.

And I enjoyed that they give the players a choice.

Tizoc

Playing Richard and Alice now and am halfway through.
Some really sad moments in this adventure game ;.;

Tizoc

EDIT: CROM-FRIGGIN'-DAMNIT

Aw yeah
Time to re-experience one of my fav. PnCs from my childhood
sm-cover.jpg

Thank you GOG and Disney for providing an easy to use Digital ver.~

EDIT: CROM-FRIGGIN'-DAMNIT

Aw yeah
Time to re-experience one of my fav. PnCs from my childhood
sm-cover.jpg

Thank you GOG and Disney for providing an easy to use Digital ver.~

Same here actually - playing the GOG version.

One of the greatest games ever made.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Lol, yeah. Adventure game puzzles through time were like a species that kept inbreeding and eventually just extincted itself hardcore. Started from questionable origins and didn't really evolve for the most part.

Hey, has anyone tried Memoranda yet? It looks pretty.

Is it a better experience then the unpatched game?

Unequivocally, yes. VO adds a lot to the characters and the performances, on the whole, are polished (some NPCs are charming even though they may or may not hold a candle to Melissa Hutchinsson). Puzzles are also made more intuitive. Highly recommend the game to all, even those whom have played the original release.

EVO

Having just finished Monkey Island yesterday, this is why I don't think I like adventure games.

I've tried getting into them; I've played Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey and some others over the years but in each game I always reach a point where I have to resort to a guide and I just end up frustrated with the game.

Is Monkey Island 2 an improvement over the first? I wouldn't mind continuing the story, but not if it means having to juggle an inventory again.

Having just finished Monkey Island yesterday, this is why I don't think I like adventure games.

I've tried getting into them; I've played Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey and some others over the years but in each game I always reach a point where I have to resort to a guide and I just end up frustrated with the game.

Is Monkey Island 2 an improvement over the first? I wouldn't mind continuing the story, but not if it means having to juggle an inventory again.

If you didn't care for the first one, then you most likely will not like Monkey Island 2. It's the same kind of inventory heavy puzzles. VBut they're really not that difficult, as long as you keep track of the given goals instead of just start trying to use everything with everything.

I still hold them both my favorites in the genre when it comes to puzzle design.

Slaythe

I feel like Monkey Island I is more archaic than Monkey Island II.

Monkey II has a much better world and adventure feel to it. It still has a lot of puzzles, but feel free to use a solution if you're stuck too long.

I think the world and the characters make it easier to get into it.

And the soundtrack.

And the graphics ! Make sure you play the old school version, not the Special Edition. And try to get scanlines and 4/3 aspect ratio if you can :D .

Tizoc

Inplay monkey island 1 and 2 for their setting humor, characters and story more than the gameplay tbh

Airola

But that's not a negative thing. Just like a Rubik's Cube or a game of Solitaire, not all are going to beat them. If you can't finish the game, then the game has won you. If you can finish the game, but resort to use a guide, you have beaten the game but by cheating and you should be embarrassed and ashamed.
I am too, over and over again.
If you beat the game without a guide, then you are the deserved hero of the world and the official winner of a person versus a digital video game entertainment thing.

Decent video, though I don't think stupid puzzles affected the fate of P&C's in the nineties at all, it was pretty much 99% genre shifts because of 3D.

Also Zak Mckracken had dead ends because of a lack of testing, not because of any desire of David Fox's to stop players from being able to progress (just like maniac mansion).

Lucasarts did have a problem where 95% of their games where set in somewhat - or very - surreal environments, and it can sometimes be a challenge to the player to determine the "rules" of the world. (Except grim, that just had useless puzzles).

What puzzles did you get stuck in on MI1 anyway?

Tizoc

So I downloaded Simon 1 off GOG and I want to play the OG Floppy ver. but when I run scummvm it only shows the Talkie ver.
Does GOG not download the Floppy ver. anymore? I downloaded using Galaxy BTW.

EDIT: OK I need tips on how to set up Start Trek 25th's graphics.
I tried to apply the same thing I DID WIth Gabe Knight 1 and it works fine windowed, but if I change any settings so it is fullscreen cutscenes and sprites flicker all over the place.
So what's the best settings to run the game under?

So I downloaded Simon 1 off GOG and I want to play the OG Floppy ver. but when I run scummvm it only shows the Talkie ver.
Does GOG not download the Floppy ver. anymore? I downloaded using Galaxy BTW.

EDIT: OK I need tips on how to set up Start Trek 25th's graphics.
I tried to apply the same thing I DID WIth Gabe Knight 1 and it works fine windowed, but if I change any settings so it is fullscreen cutscenes and sprites flicker all over the place.
So what's the best settings to run the game under?

So if you go start -> programs -> Simon the sorceror you don't see the floppy option?

ubique

Unequivocally, yes. VO adds a lot to the characters and the performances, on the whole, are polished (some NPCs are charming even though they may or may not hold a candle to Melissa Hutchinsson). Puzzles are also made more intuitive. Highly recommend the game to all, even those whom have played the original release.

Can the voices be turned off? I'm interested in this game but I had to mute the trailer

EVO

What puzzles did you get stuck in on MI1 anyway?

On Melee Island, there was a bunch of times I was wandering around aimlessly, trying to use items that ultimately had no purpose or attempting to solve puzzles that weren't actually puzzles, such as
the vending machine at Stan's
or
the guy guarding the governor's mansion.
Also,
transferring the grog between mugs to free the pirate out of jail
seemed straight up impossible in the special edition. I actually had to revert to the classic mode to complete it, which is where a lot of my issues with the special edition stem from: the new UI. There's an instance on the ship where you have to
open the cereal box.
In the original game, the solution to that probably would come more naturally as all of the available verbs and items are right there in front of you.

The thing that gave me the most trouble though was the Sword Master. I figured that when you're told "You're good enough to fight the Sword Master" you're ready to face her, but every time I did she would always have an insult that I had no response for. I ended up having to grind for responses which was pretty damn tedious.By the time I reached Monkey Island I was making liberal use of the hint system so I didn't really get stuck on anything for too long. One puzzle that would've had me stumped is
blowing up the dam with the gunpowder.
That seems like a good example of moon logic.

SOME-MIST

Ay a new thread! Last year was pretty top notch - samorost 3 being one of my favorite games all year.

This year really looking forward to Jonas Kyratzes the council of the crows (ithaka of the clouds backed), thimbleweed park (backed), and full throttle remastered.

Hoping there's some others that surprise me.

Tizoc

So if you go start -> programs -> Simon the sorceror you don't see the floppy option?
Didnt try that will see when inget back home

Currently playing thru teen agent and i am rather enjoying it
It is a prrtty simple pnc from what i olayed and i do enjoy the light humor

EDIT: Huh found the Floppy ver. fancy that.

mattiewheels

Has anyone tried Memoranda?

TripleSun

I already have all the games in this bundle but it's some serious value for anyone wanting to play Daedalic games. It's the Daedalic Armageddon bundle on Steam

Until Feb. 6, for $15.99 you can get:

Deponia 1-3
Whispered World Special Edition
Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
A New Beginning: Final Cut
Memoria
Night of The Rabbit
Both Edna & Harvey games
1954 Alcatraz

If you're lacking a lot of that you should totally get this. A really good deal.

Tizoc

Made it to the final area in Simon 1.
Hadn't really enjoyed playing it much to be honest.
I will give Simon 2 a try and see if I like it more though.

Top Bottom