• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

So AdventureGamers is saying April 25th for US release of Syberia 3, although the trailer I'm watching only says the month. Regardless, guess it's time to catch up on Syberia 2 lol.

The story better be bloody good because the animation looks straight out of 2002. Especially the facial animation/lip synching. Blech

inm8num2

Thimbleweed Park ain't your mama's adventure game (VideoGamer)

After playing through the build myself it's clear both the reactions are warranted: it is a very funny game, full of jokes both of the reflexive metatextual, fourth-wall-breaking, we're-in-an-adventure-game kind as well as the regular kind; it is a big, dense game, and you will probably never find all the details in it.

Thimbleweed Park Is Secretly an Open-World Point ‘n’ Click Game (IGN)

For a start, Thimbleweed comes with two difficulty levels. Casual Mode is for those who want a good story, without too much hard work – multi-step, obtuse puzzles are “pre-solved” at the cost of a few areas being removed from the story to stop players getting lost in now-functionless locations. Hard Mode is the classic adventure experience – you’ll be learning (and, probably, noting down) everything from the fundamentals of computer code to how to make printing ink. Gilbert thinks the latter mode’s extra puzzles make the game “easily twice as big”.

Two hours with Thimbleweed Park, the new adventure game from the creator of Monkey Island (PC Gamer)

There’s a lot more I could say about Thimbleweed Park, but I’m wary of spoiling too much before its release ("soon" says Gilbert). From what I’ve played so far, it’s a funny, charming, well-written, and well-designed point-and-click adventure with heaps of personality. The art is gorgeous, the characters are interesting, and the mysteries are compelling. If it can keep this level of quality up for the duration of the game, however long it is, it could be something very special indeed.

Thimbleweed Park is an old-school adventure game just the way you remember them (The Verge)

Last year, Gilbert told me that he wanted Thimbleweed Park “to be how you remembered [classic adventure] games, not how they actually were.” And, at least early on, he’s managed to do just that. Thimbleweed has exactly the things I love about the genre — quirky humor, clever puzzles, a great story — while getting rid of most of the frustrating aspects. Old games can be hard to go back to, with rigid structures and archaic mechanics that belie our memories of them. Thimbleweed Park, on the other hand, feels like the very first time you played a LucasArts adventure.

Thimbleweed Park is a 1980s point-and-click wearing rose-tinted glasses (PCGamesN)

epmode

Man, this is sounding like exactly what I wanted from Broken Age. I feel bad that I skipped the Kickstarter.

(I'm still not a huge fan of the verbs taking up so much screen space though)

Lafazar

Been playing Day of the Tentacle Remastered, first time ever playing it but I have played the original Sam n Max and Full Throttle. Really loving the game, but damn some of those puzzles make you pull your hair out. I heard that the Monkey Island remaster has a hint system, does this game have that as well or am I out of luck. I don't want to spoil everything by using a guide.

There was a hint system built into the original game from the very beginning: Keep talking to cousin Ted (the mummy), who appears in every time, and your character will basically talk through all objectives (s)he still has to do, including some pointers on how to actually do it. The clever thing: The correct answer is usually hidden among wrong dialogue options.

wilco

Neo Member
Are Zork Nemesis and Return to Zork worth playing?

Return to Zork is pretty fun but can be frustrating since it's hard and it has dead ends situations (without much notice if I remember correctly)
Zork Nemesis is on my favorites but it's more of Myst-type game with lots of good puzzles but more a serious story without any of the Zork humor.

Tizoc

Return to Zork is pretty fun but can be frustrating since it's hard and it has dead ends situations (without much notice if I remember correctly)
Zork Nemesis is on my favorites but it's more of Myst-type game with lots of good puzzles but more a serious story without any of the Zork humor.

Thanks. I'm playing Grand Inquisitor and like the humor for the most part, I don't mind playing an adventure game with good puzzles even if it's tone is different to its predecessors.

Tizoc

Well with Zork Grand Inquisitor finished, I can safely say I've completed my 'Phase 1' of my PnC Backlog playthroughs.
Gonna finish up some PnCs I have on Steam then go back and finish the ones I'm downloading atm on GOG.

BluWacky

I finished playing through Tales yesterday - it's an (originally) Italian point-and-click published by Screen 7 about a librarian travelling from book to book to thwart the machinations of the embodiment of Oblivion.

It's a pretty good indie effort; some of the voice acting is a little suspect (listen out for how many different ways the names of most of the characters or places can be pronounced, most of which are incorrect...) and the book-travelling antics are deliberately cumbersome at times, but if you have a fondness for stories (which most point-and-click gamers do I'd wager) and generally play these rather retro adventures then you'd probably enjoy it. The puzzles are actually vaguely puzzley, as well - although there is one sliding tile puzzle...

I also finished Broken Sword 5 today, after playing it on and off for about a year. I'm afraid I just spammed the hint button after a while as I was rather bored by the latter stages of the game (despite its remarkable similarities to Broken Sword 1!). It's fine, don't get me wrong - I just wasn't that engaged by the plot. Possibly the consequence of forgetting who almost everyone in the game was before picking it up again today, though...

Next up - The Beard in the Mirror. I only bought it because of the title...

ubique

I also finished Broken Sword 5 today, after playing it on and off for about a year. I'm afraid I just spammed the hint button after a while as I was rather bored by the latter stages of the game (despite its remarkable similarities to Broken Sword 1!). It's fine, don't get me wrong - I just wasn't that engaged by the plot. Possibly the consequence of forgetting who almost everyone in the game was before picking it up again today, though...

Kinda sad that the game that followed their aggressively shitty attempts to revitalize the franchise is a soulless nostalgia pandering mediocre reference festival, I wonder what they'll think of next

Sorry I only use this thread to shit on Broken Sword 3-5, and I'm sorry that I'll never stop

That was a great interview - thanks for sharing it!

GC: It sounds like you’ve enjoyed making this game, are you planning to make more of this sort of thing?
RG: If it does well. To me it is all about breaking out. There’s that core audience, I know every one of them will buy this game. But can I break out into that larger narrative audience? I think that’s kind of the critical thing.
Please let it do well. Having Ron Gilbert back making point and click adventure games on a regular basis would make me a very happy man.

inm8num2

Thimbleweed Park Steam page is up.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/569860/announcements/detail/521692792655602226
Thimbleweed Park Coming Soon!
February 17 - Khatie
Thimbleweed Park is the adventure game you didn’t know you were waiting for...

Lost along a dusty stretch of highway, Thimbleweed Park is a neglected and forgotten place, home to the lost and abandoned.

This once proud town boasted an opulent hotel, a vibrant business district, and the state’s largest pillow factory. Now boarded up and falling down, the town stinks of a desperate longing to be what it once was.

A body is found in the river and no one seems to care – not the pigeon plumbers or the drunk passed out by the bushes, not the sheriff or the coroner or the giant talking slice of pizza. Everyone has their own troubles in Thimbleweed Park.

The mystery begins to unravel when two uninvited agents show up to “investigate” the murder. Before long a cursed clown, a disinherited game designer, and the ghost of a pillow salesman are entwined in a conspiracy that takes them all deeper than they ever knew possible.

In a town like Thimbleweed Park, a dead body is the least of your problems.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Full controller support, awesome.

Tizoc

If you do a search for 'Thimbleweed' on Steam, this game show sup among the results
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/597210/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

TripleSun

Anyone try the Wardrobe yet? I bought it but haven't started it yet. Just wondering what some of your impressions are.

Anyone try the Wardrobe yet? I bought it but haven't started it yet. Just wondering what some of your impressions are.

I'm also wondering the same. I dont see a lot of ppl playing it/buying it which is odd, considering it looks pretty great. I havent bought it yet though.

ubique

The Wardrobe proudly displays Pedobear (and Johnny Bravo and an Angry Bird and at least 10 other "references" to random pop culture stuff) in its trailer

The official synopsis says it "has a strong sense of humour, but isn't shy about dealing with mature and non-politically correct themes" which sounds like what I imagine Infowars' Youtube channel description is

So I dunno maybe it's not for everyone

The Wardrobe proudly displays Pedobear (and Johnny Bravo and an Angry Bird and at least 10 other "references" to random pop culture stuff) in its trailer

The official synopsis says it "has a strong sense of humour, but isn't shy about dealing with mature and non-politically correct themes" which sounds like what I imagine Infowars' Youtube channel description is

So I dunno maybe it's not for everyone

The pile of pop culture references in the trailer makes me think this is going to be the "guy at a party who quotes movies" of videogames. Also, the fact that they are pointing out how "non-politically correct" they are is also a good sign that it's not going to be funny.

The pile of pop culture references in the trailer makes me think this is going to be the "guy at a party who quotes movies" of videogames. Also, the fact that they are pointing out how "non-politically correct" they are is also a good sign that it's not going to be funny.

It sounds like Randall's Monday all over again.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm excited to play Night In The Woods, seems like another good platformer adventure and the art style is damn gorgeous.

Tizoc

This final section in 2064 ROM is a pain in the ass.
I did enjoy it overall though.

Next up Herald and 80 Days.

Tizoc

So apparently Herald will be 4 episodes long with Ep.1 and 2 available now for $10.
header.jpg

Voice acting is quite good and the 2D character portriats are really good and animate beautifuly.
The 3D models though are pretty basic though but I didn't find them offensive.

KainXVIII

https://www.gog.com/promo/20170227_weekly_sale_disney

Disney sale over at gog
I may just bite and get a few games drm free despite owning them on steam :v
The Incredible Machine pack still very pricey 😒

Started Journeyman Project 1: Pegasus Prime (GoG version) by Presto Studios (i adored their Myst interpretation, much better than following Cyan games), despite super cheesy FMV i loved it so far - time travel police FTW!

Tizoc

So I finished Herald Ep. 2
This is a very basic and simple game, barely any puzzles or the like.
The 2D animations are superb but the 3D models are some PSOne era stuff.
Still I enjoyed it, but holy crap at that Ep. 2 ending o_O

Tizoc

Thimbleweed Park release on March 30th! Get ready!

Source please! Also make a thread for it and post the impressions from a few posts back.
Here's a thread title you can use
'Ron Gilbert's Thimbleweed Park releasing March 30th+Hands on Impressions'

March is gonna be crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Tizoc

I've been playing Her Majesty's SPIFFING recently
header.jpg

It's a short game and the humor is nice at best buuuuuuut, it is most of the time too 'on the nose'.
Still I like how 'British' it is.

TripleSun

The Journey Down Chapter 3 release date is finally here!

August 25th. I can't wait to replay the first two to get ready for 3.

Tizoc

The Journey Down Chapter 3 release date is finally here!

August 25th. I can't wait to replay the first two to get ready for 3.

Yup got that backer email too.
Gonna aim to beat the first two games by the time the game releases :D

parabolee

Anyone interested in a Mass Effect point and click adventure "demake"??-

NQctEy5.png

0bfWsOH.png

GlY4sbK.png

While Mass Effect Andromeda won't see his return, Commander Shepard still has one more adventure in him! A fan project and driven by a passion for classic point and click adventure games and more importantly the Mass Effect series; The Adventures of Commander Shepard is a fan-fiction “demake” and love letter to both.

FEATURES
​
  • Over 1 hour of classic point and click gameplay
  • Animated intro
  • Built in hint system
  • Multiple endings
  • Paragon or Renegade choices!

Check it out here - The Adventures of Commander Shepard -Website

Top Bottom