• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

TripleSun

Face Noir is going to be part of Groupees Be Mine X bundle very soon.

edit: its got a 59 meta, ouch!

Thanks, will wait out for it. I'm a diehard noir PnC fan and I think one of the main reasons the English version of Face Noir gets beat on so much is being the voice acting is so terrible.

TripleSun

Looks like Broken Sword 5 will be broken into two halves.

Part 1 comes December 4th and Part 2 in January. Not sure how I feel about them breaking it into two halves.. but even so DECEMBER 4TH, I AWAIT YOU!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709589

[edit] Think I should try to get BS4, even though I couldn't get through BS3? 1 and 2 were golden but I really didn't like the changes in 3. Should I attempt 4 before 5 rolls around or just wait?

Tizoc

Hope it's OK to talk about this, but I won't be putting links.
There are a bunch of Japanese adventure games for the NES and succeeding systems that got fantranslated like Akira and so forth. Granted they'll be in the Visual Novel playstyle but has anyone here played any of them and can give impressions for some of them?

RAIDEN1

Has anyone played Rise of the Dragon? Came out on the Mac/PC/Mega CD? What is the best version? Is the Mega CD version that good, despite the voice-acting, but it has the green-hue to the graphics! (Due to the limited palette available..)

It should have been released on PC-CD..slim chance of it ever getting a HD remake though..

What's with every dev/publisher nowadays having to release games in episodes/parts?

Whatever happened to simply release... one finished game and call it a day?

Sure, i get that sometimes this enables smaller devs to test the waters with the first episode, or maybe finance part of the rest with the revenue of the first ep. yadda yadda, still, i can't get rid of that nagging feeling that somewhere in there, it's simply meant to milk customers more (kind of like DLC).

Card Boy

Banned
The other things to consider is it allows smaller studios to bring revenue or get feedback from the community on the previous episode. I don't personally prefer episodic content, i would prefer one product and one purchase.

Fjordson

What's with every dev/publisher nowadays having to release games in episodes/parts?

Sure, i get that sometimes this enables smaller devs to test the waters with the first episode, or maybe finance part of the rest with the revenue of the first ep. yadda yadda, still, i can't get rid of that nagging feeling that somewhere in there, it's simply meant to milk customers more (kind of like DLC).
I'm with you. I really dislike episodic content. I mean if it's out of necessity for a smaller studio then that's fine, but man I really prefer just playing the full game.

That reminds me that The Journey Down's second episode still isn't out yet. I played the first one back in January and loved it, but the second one still doesn't even have a release date =[

Slowly going through I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and man it's been a while since I played a P&C game that was so specific with it's verbs. I grew up on Lucasarts stuff so anytime there is a dead end or requires janky verb inputs it turns me off pretty quick.

I'm still having fun. The story is great.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm with you. I really dislike episodic content. I mean if it's out of necessity for a smaller studio then that's fine, but man I really prefer just playing the full game.

That reminds me that The Journey Down's second episode still isn't out yet. I played the first one back in January and loved it, but the second one still doesn't even have a release date =[

i was going to disagree with you, until i realized i loved the journey down and have since forgotten it existed! would rather have one complete journey down in 3 years than this trickle of games...

Kvik

From memory, that wait for final episode of TWD Season 1 was excruciating. Furthermore I loved Broken Sword series, and I just might wait for both parts to release before buying it.

TripleSun

I don't mind what Revolution is doing because it's only a month in between releases and it's like a 9 hour part each part. I'm really glad it's going to total up 18-20 hours. They're not disappointing with this release.

Other releases like Kentucky Route Zero. Not even sure when a chapter 3 is going to happen, so I understand people forgetting things existing.

Although, I don't mind paying per episode but paying a full game price for parts, when you don't know when the next will come is meh.

epmode

I don't mind what Revolution is doing because it's only a month in between releases and it's like a 9 hour part each part. I'm really glad it's going to total up 18-20 hours. They're not disappointing with this release.

Other releases like Kentucky Route Zero. Not even sure when a chapter 3 is going to happen, so I understand people forgetting things existing.

The Kentucky Route Zero guys were funded through Kickstarter with barely any money. There's no chance that they could have afforded to make a full game without the staggered release.

Games that go episodic just because are pretty annoying though. It cheapens the final product, if that makes sense. Thankfully, it's not all that common and it's almost exclusively contained in the adventure genre. Broken Sword 5, The Raven and Telltale's stuff are all I can think of at the moment.

mclem

There was never any such thing as 'a finished game'.

Games that go episodic just because are pretty annoying though. It cheapens the final product, if that makes sense. Thankfully, it's not all that common and it's almost exclusively contained in the adventure genre. Broken Sword 5, The Raven and Telltale's stuff are all I can think of at the moment.

Well, there's Half-Life, and better still, SiN :)

TripleSun

By the way, this bundle is offering Face Noir if you pledge $5. Should get on it. Pretty cheap compared to spending like $20 on it.

http://groupees.com/bmx

[edit] Just picked my bundle up. Looking forward to starting it after my crazy run through all the Broken Sword games again.

There was never any such thing as 'a finished game'.

Well, there's Half-Life, and better still, SiN :)

I assume you are referring to the "patch era" of games? Well, i guess i am just nostalgic for the time where devs released games and they actually WERE finished, polished products, and yes it was that way, long long ago :(

As, epmode said, it also kinda "cheapens" or tarnishes the work. Because i consider great games as art more or less, i feel that for every output, the artist has a vision of the product at a given time that they should try to realize as a whole, not start it up and then come back months or sometimes years later. The risk of different episodes feeling disjointed or too different from each other increases in contrast to them just working on the product as a whole and release it!

mclem

I assume you are referring to the "patch era" of games? Well, i guess i am just nostalgic for the time where devs released games and they actually WERE finished, polished products, and yes it was that way, long long ago :(

No, I'm referring to the fact that the games weren't finished, they were just released. I've never worked on a game - even before patches were viable - where we didn't cut reams of content for time reasons. Had we had the option to release it episodically, that content could have been in the finished product without crippling us financially in the process.

As, epmode said, it also kinda "cheapens" or tarnishes the work. Because i consider great games as art more or less, i feel that for every output, the artist has a vision of the product at a given time that they should try to realize as a whole, not start it up and then come back months or sometimes years later. The risk of different episodes feeling disjointed or too different from each other increases in contrast to them just working on the product as a whole and release it!

I see that point, but my point is that that vision is rarely actually completely realised due to the realities of the production environment.

epmode

No, I'm referring to the fact that the games weren't finished, they were just released. I've never worked on a game - even before patches were viable - where we didn't cut reams of content for time reasons. Had we had the option to release it episodically, that content could have been in the finished product without crippling us financially in the process.

Well, not really. What tends to happen is that the engine/interface/design improvements make their way into later episodes while the earlier stuff stays old and busted. So you run into the same issue where the content is just released, except it happens five times instead of once.

Again, I'm only complaining about companies that release episodically just for the hell of it, not because they simply couldn't afford a full release in the first place.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm surprised you guys didn't make like a page or two about this yet.

pUZPn.png

Journey of a roach is on that bundle and the game just launched a few days ago.
Crazy times.
Superb bundle, cheers for posting Gez.

Fjordson

i was going to disagree with you, until i realized i loved the journey down and have since forgotten it existed! would rather have one complete journey down in 3 years than this trickle of games...
Right? The waiting is really tough. And like I said, it's not as if the next release is on the horizon or anything. As of today, 11 months after episode one's release, they don't even have a vague timetable yet for episode two.

I totally get that time and money limitations are usually behind this sort of thing, and I'll happily purchase episode two when it's out no matter how long it takes, but it's a real bummer as a fan. Really disrupts the "experience" of playing through a game.

Gangxxter

Replaying Broken Sword 1 and I had forgotten how much I loved Lady Piermont. This girl is wild.
She is awesome! I love when she shouts "Follow me, George!" and goes over to the receptionist.
Apparently she'll play a bigger role in BS5 again, she is even on the cover artwork.

Her niece in BS3 is also a very nice character.

kazebyaka

Banned
Recently finished The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and it's sequel Memoria and Deponia Trilogy. Amazing adventures, i highly recommend them to anybody. Easily on par with classics.

frankMX

Few free adventure games from GOG are actually really good.
Dragonsphere has good music and dialogue,it has aged not very well,but still worth playing.
Teenagent has very funny dialogue.The puzzles are too difficult, I doubt anyone can beat it without a walkthrough.
And there is Beneath a Steel Sky ,one of best adventure games out there.

Tizoc

Steam does not have the original Broken Sword 1 and 2 correct?
Guess I'll go grab them from gog.com should they go on sale.

Gangxxter

Nope, only the Director's Cut/Remastered version.
Get them from gog.com, you'll get both versions and a bunch of digital goodies.

mclem

On the subject of GoG, the weekend promo this week is 60% off on Activision titles; most notably for this thread, that includes their Sierra range and the Zorks.

Flight of the Amazon Queen is also free nowadays. Gog have a package for it at least.

Yup, GOG is the place to go for the famous cafe scene not being horrifically butchered.

FYC

Banned
Finished Ankh 2. It's pretty good. Definitely...Rough around the edges, but worth a playthrough, especially since it's less than 2 dollars on Steam right now.

Top Bottom