• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2014 No longer in our dreams, memories or just Germany.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Cutscenes in The Last Express are in the third person perspective. Navigating is very confusing in TLE initially, but once you get a handle of it it won't bother you. I'd recommend to stick with it, the game is fascinating.

Hmm, I'll give it another shot, but it will have to wait now. I bought tons of new games during all the recent sales.

Tizoc

Speaking of Kings Quest for those that don't know you may want to check out The Silver Lining.

It's free and an unofficial sequel to the Kings Quest series made by the Cognition: Erica Reed devs. Most of you may probably already know but this post is intended for those getting into PnC games and are unaware of it's existence.

Woah never knew about this thanks!

God Enel

• Simon the Sorcerer 1
  • Simon the Sorcerer 2
  • The Last Express
  • Gemini Rue
  • The Shivah
  • Flight of the Amazon Queen
  • Sam and Max
  • Back to the Future: The Game
  • Tales of Monkey Island
  • Hector
  • Sam & Max: The Penal Zone
  • Wallace & Gromit in The Last Resort
  • The Walking Dead
  • The Next BIG Thing
  • Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
  • Machinarium
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
  • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
  • Broken Sword: Director’s Cut
  • Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror: Remastered
  • Beneath a Steel Sky: Remastered
  • Syberia
  • Runaway: A Road Adventure
  • Runaway: A Twist of Fate
  • Runaway: The Dream Of The Turtle
  • Yesterday
  • Samorost 2
  • Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold
  • Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded
  • Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World

Not including Phoenix Wright since its a more of a Adventure novel.

holy shit. thanks dude.

and which of them have a sense of humor (except simon 1 & 2)?
which ones would you recommend especially?

daviyoung

Banned
Sam and Max, Broken Sword, Monkey Island, Hector, Machinarium and Kaptain Brawe are the funny ones.

Your mileage may vary depending on what you find funny. Sam and Max is pretty broad, Hector is very British, Broken Sword is very dry and Machinarium is all melancholy visual humour.

RetroMG

My wife and I played the first chapter of Silver Lining last night, and while my wife proceeded to go on a major nostalgia high, I felt like it was a little simple. The only actual puzzles I ran across were to get off the starting island. Hopefully the next chapters are a little more complex.

TripleSun

I'm about to start up Fate of Atlantis, but running through some stuff I found that some Fate of Atlantis fans were making a prequel to it called The Fountain of Youth. Looks pretty neat. Apparently it started development a looooooong time ago and in 2013 they decided making it in chapters would be a better decision for them. It looks nice and I look forward to it.

http://www.barnettcollege.com/

Card Boy

Banned
I'm about to start up Fate of Atlantis, but running through some stuff I found that some Fate of Atlantis fans were making a prequel to it called The Fountain of Youth. Looks pretty neat. Apparently it started development a looooooong time ago and in 2013 they decided making it in chapters would be a better decision for them. It looks nice and I look forward to it.

Impressive.

GhaleonQ

Great topic all! I took a hiatus from video games for 2013 (I think I'll make a topic, but I mean I played...more games than 95 percent of the population; it was about 1/4 fewer than I usually play), but this was 1 of the few NeoGAF topics with which I kept up.

It looks to be a major year after an off-one in 2013, so I'm stoked. The Dream Machine, Tim Schafer, Samarost, and a bunch of retro crowdfunded games are coming to fruitition, and I expect much awesome original work, too!

Sam and Max, Broken Sword, Monkey Island, Hector, Machinarium and Kaptain Brawe are the funny ones.

Your mileage may vary depending on what you find funny. Sam and Max is pretty broad, Hector is very British, Broken Sword is very dry and Machinarium is all melancholy visual humour.

Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen as well. They're both free downloads (and in the Ubuntu software centre for those using Ubuntu).

szaromir

Banned
I haven't played Chains of Sativah (waiting in the backlog), but A New Beginning is definitely NOT worthwhile. Poor story, poor writing, bad voice acting, easy cookie-cutter puzzles.

My wife and I played the first chapter of Silver Lining last night, and while my wife proceeded to go on a major nostalgia high, I felt like it was a little simple. The only actual puzzles I ran across were to get off the starting island. Hopefully the next chapters are a little more complex.

Where would I go about finding me one of those majorly nostalgic for King's Quest wives?

Tizoc

Aight gang I have the following games on my DotEmu account, in which order should I play them so I'd leave the best for last?

A Vampyre Story
The Abbey
Flight of the Amazon Queen

I also have Jack Orlando Director's Cut...but i rebought it off Steam during a sale XD.

So yeah in which order should I play those 3 games?

Radogol

"Looooooong time" is right. I think I was still in high school back when I was a part of the team. I'm thirty now.

szaromir

Banned
Aight gang I have the following games on my DotEmu account, in which order should I play them so I'd leave the best for last?

A Vampyre Story
The Abbey

I also have Jack Orlando Director's Cut...but i rebought it off Steam during a sale XD.
The Abbey is a really cool murder mystery game heavily inspired by "The Name of the Rose". If you feel like playing such a game, just go for it.
I really wanted to love A Vampyre Story but I just couldn't... I gave up on it two hours into the game. The other two are sitting in my backlog.

nny

A Vampyre Story
The Abbey

So yeah in which order should I play those 3 games?

Flight of the Amazon Queen is great; if you're in the mood for an old school comedy game give it a shot (think Monkey Island humor on an Indiana Jones world).

Tizoc

Will this is a bitch Vampyre Story doesn't seem to work on Windows 8.1 I tried changing the Compatibility option but nada, apparently it's DirectX related but I can't seem to figure out exactly what the issue is, I keep double clicking the application but it refuses to run.

Tizoc

OK, here's what I'm gonna try.
Gonna go install Vampyre Story onto my Old lappy and see if it runs there, if it does, I'll play it on there and beat it, shouldn't take more than a day I believe...
Gonna start dling my Steam PnC games tomorrow, most of them should be beaten with ease, plus if I get cards from them the better X3

Morzak

Looks great which isn't much of a surprise when it comes to Daedalic. Here's hoping they hired some good writers and/or translators.

I honestly don't feel the stories in the Daedalic games are bad and I don't get the hate most of them get for it (the puzzles are sometimes a different issue), but I always play them in german, and it seems that the translations are pretty bad.

wouwie

An early gameplay video of Silence: The Whispered World 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqO5lmK1zK0

Thanks for the link. The game looks awesome. Daedelic seems to have found a nice way to use 3D without losing the detailed 2D background look.

Hopefully, the story and characters will be on par with the visuals (visuals have never been a problem in the Daedelic games). Apparently, the game is made in Unity so i wonder if we will see console versions down the line. I'd love to play this on a big TV (instead of my laptop monitor).

inm8num2

I honestly don't feel the stories in the Daedalic games are bad and I don't get the hate most of them get for it (the puzzles are sometimes a different issue), but I always play them in german, and it seems that the translations are pretty bad.

I really enjoy Daedalic's games. It's strange to me that so many people hate them.

TripleSun

Yeah sometimes it's like if you mention Daedalic's name it sparks a war on this thread and so apparently it's taboo.

RAIDEN1

So what's the latest on Beneath a Steel Sky 2, Toonstruck 2, and the remake of Gabriel Knights? Anyone got any new info, these franchises were at the fore-front of Point and Click games...at one point at least..

Just to let people know I have added Broken Age OT to the recently released section.
Seriously cannot wait to get home and get playing this. Will be better to use that thread to share story spoilers and various other things from the game, instead of this one

So what's the latest on Beneath a Steel Sky 2, Toonstruck 2, and the remake of Gabriel Knights? Anyone got any new info, these franchises were at the fore-front of Point and Click games...at one point at least..

Beneath a Steel Sky 2 was part of the $1 million stretch goal for Broken Sword 5, Charles Cecil spoke to digital spy about BASS2. Saying it was never held at ransom.

"You can understand why people got cross, because they were saying, 'They're holding Beneath a Steel Sky up for ransom'. That was never the intention.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...ky-2-never-intended-to-be-held-to-ransom.html

It would be quite fitting for the game to launch a Kickstarter this year, it's BASS 20th anniversary, yes we are all old.
I know I would support a Revolution Kickstarter for a BASS sequel with Dave Gibbons involved.

Gabriel Knight 20th Anniversary Edition has a full site. Development is coming along well and is still due for release this summer.
http://www.gabrielknight20th.com/

Toonstruck 2 I am not entirely sure what's happening there, the original creators got the licence back, there were rumours of an iPhone/ipad re-release with PC versions to follow. I am sure when everything is ironed out it will get the go ahead.

Tizoc

OK just finished the first chapter of (Murder In) The Abbey.
The story is interesting and I am interested in the mystery, Leonardo is a pretty good character, and the humor's fine so far IMO. I like his methods in getting things done.

Card Boy

Banned
From Facebook

Wadjet Eye Games

Just did my first playthrough of the game with ALL the major elements in place. Here's a shot from the very last scene we added to the game - a small flashback starring Madeline and someone we have sort of seen before.

1503326_10152208901564458_1441536738_n.png

Blackwell Epiphany in case anyone doesn't know.

How long is The Last Express. Easy to finish in a weekend?

I finished the Deponia games in a weekend, for comparison. So around the 12 hour mark?

Top Bottom