• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pointless accomplishments that you're proud of

Beat the New York Minute Hardcore mode in Max Payne 3. I gave up on it 5 years ago but suddenly had a random urge to do it last week and did it.

I got all the achievements on all the 360 Halo titles.

I guess I was just chasing that HaloWaypoint rank. Remember when that was a thing?

Edit: Guess it doesn't count cause achievements.

Edit 2: Let's go with punching the 007 Nightfire ninja to death.

Piggus

When MTA San Andreas (SA multiplayer mod) came out, I created an addictive map called GoFastFTW that became the #2 downloaded map overall. It was on pretty much every popular server, and people always voted to play it over and over.

In Gary's Mod, I created a music video that went viral on YouTube and was one of the top gaming videos for a while (until let's plays became a thing) thanks to Tim Buckley of CAD fame initially sharing it. It had more views than any of the official music videos from the band we used (Scooter). Unfortunately, it was eventually taken down by the dumbass record label, even though I wasn't making any money on it and it introduced that band to potentially millions of people.

I got Max Prestige in Black Ops 2 Wii U, nothing to show other than a fancy emblem and diamond camo on pistols, shotguns and SMGs

That prestige 5 to 10 grind when Double XP Nuketown 24/7 was going on for an entire week was something else though

Camwi

In GTA: Vice City I reloaded my save if I died, lost a mission, or got arrested. It was kind of amusing thinking about how I beat the game using the same weapons that I got very early on and all on "one" life.

It's the only GTA game I beat and I think I ruined the series as I have a tough time getting into any afterwards and the little I have played of San Andreas and GTA IV I always have an urge to reload my save when things go poorly.

It's a super tedious way to play.

I used to do that too, and I don't really know why. Try to break the habit man, because it's so freeing once you do.

DemWalls

I spent exactly 300:00:00 hours on one of my characters in Dark Souls III. Unfortunately that also means I can't play with her anymore.

When MTA San Andreas (SA multiplayer mod) came out, I created an addictive map called GoFastFTW that became the #2 downloaded map overall. It was on pretty much every popular server, and people always voted to play it over and over.

In Gary's Mod, I created a music video that went viral on YouTube and was one of the top gaming videos for a while (until let's plays became a thing) thanks to Tim Buckley of CAD fame initially sharing it. It had more views than any of the official music videos from the band we used (Scooter). Unfortunately, it was eventually taken down by the dumbass record label, even though I wasn't making any money on it and it introduced that band to potentially millions of people.

Making something that a lot of people enjoyed seems really cool and doesn't sound all that pointless to me, it's a shame about your video though.

StrmSrg

Neo Member
I 100%'d Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg including getting S rank and all five chick coins on over 56 missions over the course of 60 hours. For those that are curious, you get "EGG MASTER" as your file name when you do this.

It wasn't remotely worth it and it was only then that it dawned on my stupid kid self that the game actually kinda sucks, but hey whatcha gonna do?

Stygr

Banned
Beating DMC 3 all difficulties, SSS in all missions 10 years ago or even more.
Now i suck at action games :(

Beating every Dark Souls 3 boss without help from summons, and 100% completing the game.

May not be special to some, but it was my first Souls game and I really got my ass kicked at first. I felt like such a fucking badass when I finally beat Nameless King.

Piscus

Here's a lame one from Splinter Cell: Blacklist:
zlCfzRGOjME4xRVt1g

Here's one much more important to me from Pikmin 3:

Mephala

Making fully powered cursed weapons in Tactics Ogre

Low level challenge runs

Soloing content intended for groups.

I was ranked number 1 in the online leaderboard for the Fashion Rabbidz minigame in Raving Rabbids TV Party for Wii.

RRR3_FASHION_SCREENSHOT_110408.jpg

All the mini games had leaderboards and I usually past the top 100 except for this one.

Which is also the most random minigame in the entire game.

Stencil

100% on ABZU. It's the only game I've every Platinum'd, and I'm satisfied to have it be the only game I ever Plat. So easy, but I enjoyed every second of it.

Also, beating the Dancer in Dark Souls 3 solo, on my first try. Never watched any gameplay vids of her, never even seen what she looked like

MastAndo

I cracked the top 500 in NHL players at one point - I believe it was NHL 14. It sounds like nothing, but I'm notoriously middle of the rode in any competitive online game, so I'm kind of proud of that one. Then again, my friends and I had a super competitive NHL league going at the time (in person). We had draft nights, a website, spreadsheets, a championship cup, the works, so with the amount of time I was putting into the game, I should have been higher.

Naked Lunch

Ace Combat 6
All medals achievement. Beyond the standard S rank all levels - you have to do all kinds of crazy missions. 2 of which are beat the entire game without using missiles (machine gun only) - and beat the game without taking any damage. You have the master the game inside and out.

Very pointless but it made me appreciate the depth the Ace Combat games have.

1 CCing various shmup games too. Radiant Silvergun being the craziest one I did.

As a young teen it was probably sitting and playing through an entire endurance race in gran turismo without stopping, two hours and 60+ laps around grand valley, more then once.

Finding a small glitch to make the camera pull away from sonic in sonic adventure, slowly, and doing that trick for an hour so the camera traveled so far you could see everything as a tiny dot.

Collecting all the pistol ammo in resident evil without shooting the gun to see how many pistol bullets the game had to collect, same with shotgun shells in another run.

Mcdohl

I hunted Notorious Monsters in FFXI for fun. I kept a log.

I didn't even do it for the drops (although of course they helped the motivation).

I don't think I was the only one, hence why on one patch they added a lot of NMs, including the elusive Taisaijin and its virtually worthless drop.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Level 100 Metapod and Magikarp in Pokemon Blue. Still fucking useless in battle.

Making a level 99 Arsene in Persona 5. As your starting Persona, he’s meant to be thrown away early on, but that didn’t sit right with me, so I decided to boost him to 99 and give him some stronger moves with gallows and skill cards. He was basically an unstoppable killing machine in my NG+ playthrough, haha

Me too.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I went 1-2 against a top 100 Smash 4 player at the first game of my first tournament.

Creepy

I've 1 Credit Cleared a few STG's.

Uh... I have over 250,000 player kills in WoW...

...My gf did ok against James Chen once, I'm sorta second-hand proud of that...

Indelible

Getting a Platinum in Horizon Zero Dawn on hard mode, it was so satisfying to see the trophy pop as the credits rolled.

louiedog

I was playing the Action Quake 2 mod (before there was Action Half-Life), which I did a lot, and they'd just implemented a new scoring system. I forget exactly how it worked but points were multiplied the better you did. So the faster you killed without dying them more points you got. The mod itself is based on action movies with realistic damage for falling, one hit headshots (before that was much of a thing), slow downs from leg hits, realistic guns, etc.

This was my go to game at the time and I had gotten very good at it. The first map I hit with this new scoring system had a score cap of 50, which I hit within a couple of minutes and the person in second place had 8, and then the guy in third had 3, and I think there were a good 15-20 people on map total.

It was easily the best I'd ever played on that map and it was fortuitous it happened to be with a scoring system that rewarded it like that. I was just in the right state where I was pulling off moves like running through a big open part of the map and getting three headshots with three bullets in about 2 seconds on a group of guys fighting each other. It felt so good and I wish I could do something like that again.

neoemonk

I remade the sphere grid in Final Fantasy X for the PS2. I gave everyone max stats, and got all the ultimate weapons. Luck was the only thing not maxed because you had to pick a stat that you couldn't max or dilute them equally across the board.

I think it took me 170 hours. I still have a PS2 and that save on the memory card. I don't know what it takes to get a platinum trophy in the HD remaster, but there's a good chance I did it unless it involves additional content that wasn't present in the original American release.

I beat diamond weapon in final fantasy VII without the underwater materia. I had less than 30 seconds left in the clock when he died. Still the coolest thing I have done in a game.

Completing Dark Souls at SL1

Why do you consider it pointless?

I just ask because my lvl 4 run on Bloodborne made me see the game in other way, having to learn all the bosses patterns to avoid dying instantly was such a rewarding experience. Some bosses that were a joke in normal runs become some of the hardest experiences in a run like that. Had to take a break though since it was getting overwhelming and couldn't finish all the chalices lv5 last bosses (ebrietas, loran darkbeast and pthumerian queen).

I spent exactly 300:00:00 hours on one of my characters in Dark Souls III. Unfortunately that also means I can't play with her anymore.

I can totally understand that. Respect

My own is probably clearing RE5 ps3 version split-screen campaign on hardest. It was tough and those QTE's when one of us messed up... A lot of shouting at each other and it really tested our friendship, but we did it in the end!

Top ~5,000 or so in MW3 for TDM and I think at least one other category on my 360. It's a pretty arbitrary point in comparison to something like Top 500, and probably speaks more to the very large amounts of time I put into the game rather than any actual skill gap between me and several thousands of people below that rank (more time more games more kills).

I still enjoyed being relatively good at the game, and I still think fondly of COD even though I've mostly moved on from the series, so it's a fun fact I used to throw out for those icebreaker activities.

Mario Kart Wii, I got in the top 1% in the world for one of those "events" they ran, back in MKWii's prime. Me and a buddy spent 3 hours perfecting the course.

Tuorom

Neo Member
I guess beating Diablo 2 singleplayer with my amazon. I had never beaten it singleplayer before in all my years of playing.

Took me a long time with many breaks because bowazons aren't the strongest. Luckily I was able to farm a buriza, and my valkyrie was a beast.

Oh I guess on that same character I was able to make Obediance in a polearm for my merc.

Hmmm, I guess beating uber tristram with my zealadin. I was just pumped I was able to create my own Grief :)

-100% cod 4

ZoronMaro

I did a lot of OCD completion stuff in games, even before trophies. Off the top of my head I remember in Paper Mario getting every shard, multiple times (there's more in the game then you can use and it doesn't even track this for any arbitrary completion stat, so this is a pointless and worthless thing I did).

I feel like I've had the same experience as OP in some game, but I don't remember when.

EDIT: Actually the biggest waste of time ever was in FF6 , I wasted hours fighting dinosaurs to get 4 economizers, not to mention I taught all the high levels spells to every character. As far as non-grind things I also was really proud of myself when I learned about SM64 glitches in the early youtube days and I practiced until I could beat the game in less than an hour.

DekuLink

Beating Zelda ALBW on hero mode (4x damage) with 3 hearts, no bottles, no sword/tunic upgrades, no collectibles (maimai, monster horn/gut/tail), no treasure chests opened that isn't necessary to open (such as chests with rupees, map, compass etc).

All in all hero mode with 0 things collected that isn't necessary to beat the game (glitchless)

Top Bottom