• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pointless accomplishments that you're proud of

And this is the one I'm most ashamed about:
Out in the "hoods" there was this fifa tourney with a grand price of a pc. So, mr white boy went there dressed in a suit and won first prize while not exactly behaving like a gentleman, playing keep away, stalling and pretending to be relaxed and nonchalant while the kids were playing their hearts out.

It started out as a joke, but after easily beating everyone I felt bad. Didn't need the computer.

Also, note that I'm not good at fifa but these kids were so poor they probably were stuck with fifa 2004 on ps2 or nothing at all. My week of practice before the tourney was enough.

And this is the one I'm most ashamed about:
Out in the "hoods" there was this fifa tourney with a grand price of a pc. So, mr white boy went there dressed in a suit and won first prize while not exactly behaving like a gentleman, playing keep away, stalling and pretending to be relaxed and nonchalant while the kids were playing their hearts out.

It started out as a joke, but after easily beating everyone I felt bad. Didn't need the computer.

Also, note that I'm not good at fifa but these kids were so poor they probably were stuck with fifa 2004 on ps2 or nothing at all. My week of practice before the tourney was enough.

How long did it take you to come up with this dumb of a story after you figured you'd lie about video games on a video game forum on the internet?

How long did it take you to come up with this dumb of a story after you figured you'd lie about video games on a video game forum on the internet?

It is actually true. Even worse, my brother organized the event that was funded by tax money. He was the one that came up with the idea. We didn't really think...

Zubz

Banned
Oh! I also maxed out the score counter in Tetris DS, if that counts for anything. I kept playing for a good 30 minutes after that, too. I don't know why, but I was still enjoying myself, even when I knew there was literally no in-game reason to push forward.

I was #1 on the leaderboards for the Steam version of Skullgirls during the first 2.5 months it was out. I was dethroned after I got a social life.

Truant

Getting the Touch of Malice in Taken King. Was kind of a big deal for me, since I don't really have the time to do shit like that.

I got into Brutal Legend's multiplayer so hard that Brad Muir actually reached out to me and asked my opinion on some balance changes.

This was when the game was only on console. I played it enough that my name made it's way around quite a few forums from it.

The game had no official "guide" to it's units. so I made an HP guide for all the units in the game. Keep in mind this is a fucking RTS so this took several days and some friends to let me beat the fuck out of them basically.

a8orn6g.jpg

10HO55X.jpg

When I played online I never picked my faction. Always played as Random because I enjoyed all three factions equally. The only reason I stopped was a fault with the net code. In a 1v1 game, if 1 player used the Xbox dashboard to leave the game, that player was awarded a win. A tactic I refused to use.
This is very cool

Egida

Neo Member
Beating the first Dead Space using only the Plasma Cutter. I was rewarded a Gold Trophy. I didn't even know.

I did it because it felt right, like playing an old school Survival Horror, with you trusty 9mm and pathetic melee atacks.

Later, I tried doing the same with DS2, but it didn't felt the same.

Also, as a kid, getting the Final Fantasy IX in game clock red, and beating the great dragons on Disc 1 to be ridiculously overpowered.

Aizo

Banned
I completed as much as Battlefield Bad Company with a power drill as possible. I only used it as long as I could.

Online, I killed everyone inside tanks by blowing the tank up with the power drill. I did this several times.

Driving over 200 miles and 4 hours for some really good beer

Edit: oh, gaming side! 10th prestige call of duty 4, beating RE5 in under 24 hours coop so yeah

Acorn

I was in the top 100 ww for Fifa 08 or 09. I was off work for 3 months with nothing else to do, was an exercise in how much time you invested not skill tbh.

Not really proud of it but it's the first thing I can think of.

c1d

I did a low-level/speed run of trails in the sky FC for fun while waiting for SC, finishing the game in under 10 hrs with Joshua/Estelle at level 16 (albeit segmented and with mercy from the RNG gods)

FiveSide

Banned
SL1 runs of all the Souls games.

There isn't really a point. The game basically plays exactly the same, except your margin for error is significantly smaller. You can't use a lot of equipment and spells, but you can use the lower-level equivalents.

That being said though, it's interesting to see which games benefit from the SL1 experience. Dark Souls II really didn't feel like it was designed with SL1 runs in mind. On the other hand I actually didn't care all that much for Bloodborne until I did a BL4 (though in the BL4 I finally did the DLC, which significantly changed my opinion of the game).

Kaz407

Banned
Doesn't hold a candle to other things I've seen here, but while playing a map in Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, I didn't realize I had to fulfill an objective to stop enemies from spawning and ended up carving my way through all the reserves the game threw at me without losing a single unit. It was dumb on my part, but I sure was happy with myself when it was over.

EhoaVash

Getting to level 163? In one of my Korean MMOs cabal online

Probably thousand hour wasted grinding but hey there were some nice people to chat with

RCSI

I placed second in a squat contest (pre-determined [10,000?] number of squats over your enemies) for the online portion of Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal Multiplayer first week of release Winner received either a choice of a signed poster or signed game by Insomniac Games (2nd place received whatever first place did not pick). Though, with a difference of a few hours between my friend (1st place) and I, we both had a choice of either the poster or game.

Grinded on stuff next to the Midgard zolom so I can take the beta attack an learn it upon first encountering it. Nothing really impressive now but back then I though it was awesome plowing through everything with an op spell.

Okamid3n

I had some #1-ranked course records in Pangya's global version when it was at the peak of its popularity, 8-10 years ago or so.

So much pointless knowledge, I had like 50 different sheet of notes!

Well, some Smash-related stuff:

-100%ing Melee and Smash 3DS (couldn't do it for the Wii U version due to how random unlocking custom moves is).
-Beating Mew2King and Earth in Smash 4. I also beat Anti in a money-match lol.
-Being the best Yoshi in the world for about a year or so in Brawl. I lost that spot after I essentially quit the game in favor of UMvC3 (where, incidentally, I was one of the more prominent Phoenix Wright players during my active time playing).

I bought MGS4 at midnight launch and beat the whole game in one sitting, I don't know how I did it, but I just couldn't stop playing.

My other one is winning a Quake 2 tournament against a few other people and won with it being my first time playing. The reward was tickets to a big gaming expo which I don't remember the name of because on the same day going home, I fucking accidently ripped the tickets in half taking them out of my jeans pockets because it was raining that day. Oh well, still won.

Finishing a living dex in Pokemon last year. Thank god they released those mythicals.

But I know it will forever be incomplete thanks to Cosplay Pikachu and Spiky Earred Pichu.

Top Bottom