• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon CEO seemingly confirms NX is a console/handheld hybrid

Didn't miyamoto say this a couple of years ago when he was asked at an interview how he visioned the future?

And said he could see a hybrid type device?

RootCause

I'd rather it be a hybrid. Their last console was nowhere near as good as the 3ds. One system, two ways to play it, and one library. I'm in for that.

Boney

Banned
This interview pretty much confirmed it, dude.
Hello Mr. It's not a hybrid

The only clue on the hybrid were the leaks last month that seem pretty legitimately, but this isn't any different from what we've been hearing since 2014. "Blur the lines between traditional console and handhelds".

It's certainly good to essentially have confirmation of the majority of what Eurogamer reported. It's also good to have someone within Nintendo (well, Pokemon co. but close enough) actually talking about it, even if it's a slip up.

I think the long wait for info will be over fairly soon... (<3 weeks I'd guess)

Interesting you should say this, because this could be a weird flaw in the hybrid system. When Nintendo started developing 3D Land the first thing they did was put Galaxy on a tiny screen to show it felt/played. It didn't work, hence the chunkier, more zoomed in look of 3D Land.

I wonder if the games Nintendo are designing will be fundamentally changed by needing to be played on a tiny screen and how it would affect the ambition of their games.

If the rumours are correct, NX screen won't be much smaller than the Wii U GamePad one; besides, let's not forget that the original 3DS had some miniscule displays, on top of them being lo-res.

packy34

Wow.... so we are still believing NX to be hybrid? What has happened to Gaf!? ..... smh

Out of curiosity... why DON'T you believe it at this point? We've had several mostly-reliable leaks, and now it's come straight out of the mouth of the CEO of one of Nintendo's most important partners.

What evidence do you have to the contrary, other than the one single outdated comment from Nintendo saying it wasn't a hybrid?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Interesting you should say this, because this could be a weird flaw in the hybrid system. When Nintendo started developing 3D Land the first thing they did was put Galaxy on a tiny screen to show it felt/played. It didn't work, hence the chunkier, more zoomed in look of 3D Land.

I wonder if the games Nintendo are designing will be fundamentally changed by needing to be played on a tiny screen and how it would affect the ambition of their games.

NX screen size and resolution will not have this issue anymore.

I can already see this being the case. Expect more games to be broken up into bitesize stages or levels to facilitate a more pick up and play experience :(

Much preferred Nintendo games when they didn't do this!

The simplest argument against this is that Nintendo is porting Wii U games to 3ds, despite all its limitations which NX won't have. That difference betwen "handheld" games and "console" games has no reason to exist anymore.

The only clue on the hybrid were the leaks last month that seem pretty legitimately, but this isn't any different from what we've been hearing since 2014. "Blur the lines between traditional console and handhelds".

Not really, this is him explicitly calling it blurring the lines between a handheld device and console device which makes it a physical thing.

Rather than the term "platform" which had us all thinking it would be multiple devices in an NX ecosystem. This is by far the clearest confirmation of a single hybrid device we've seen (not that other devices can't come later, but that's all pure speculation at this point).

ggx2ac

That's true but, as said within my post here:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215923839

There is no denial of a hybrid but there is also no denial of multiple form factors. Back then Iwata wasn't sure on what to decide whether they'd stick with one form factor or have many.

Edit:

However if you read this next link:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=216000454

I think Iwata may have been alluding to a hybrid. Time will tell.

Hybrid or not, I still think there is more USP for NX concept! Pokémon Go nx could very mean that a lot of the planned new games would be also Augmented Reality.

I read ages ago about there being a mobile part to Luigis Mansion nx! I think this may put more cred to that rumour.

Kimawolf

What are the chances we will see a always on connection on this? Its 2016 after all we are far past the era of mobile devices not being online.

And 3DS was made on 2010 so it doesn't count.

Perhaps this Reboot/new Nintendo will surprise us.

Although we had plenty of reason to believe that the system is a hybrid, I like having even more confirmation. I'm more interested in the implications of this and a Sun/Moon version for NX.

thefro

Dr. Serkan Toto on this news

8PsH52Z.jpg

WXvG0G2.jpg

Says the bigger news is Pokemon Go possibly coming to Korea/China, but he thinks Pokemon coming to NX is also newsworthy.

8PsH52Z.jpg

WXvG0G2.jpg

Says the bigger news is Pokemon Go possibly coming to Korea/China, but he thinks Pokemon coming to NX is also newsworthy.

I think people feel that it's not really "news" because the NX is essentially be Nintendo's next portable platform, so it kinda goes without saying that it'll receive Pokemon games. So I think people view it the same they would if you said that the NX would get Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros.

eifer

I've had a hard time believing it would be a hybrid. I guess I was wrong. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be a fancy Wii U that forces me to draw stuff on a screen in order to play on my tv.

So the next Pokemon update is October 4th.

Everyone expecting an October 4th reveal for the NX, wanna change your bets?
Well that leaves either next Thursday or October 6 or they're waiting for Color Spash to release (7) and it will finally be revealed October 11-13.

ggx2ac

So the next Pokemon update is October 4th.

Everyone expecting an October 4th reveal for the NX, wanna change your bets?

And Google is revealing their new Pixel Phone on the 4th of October.
Welp, it's too crowded for Nintendo, better for them to wait until next year.

I'm joking if it's too subtle to notice for anyone reading.

Seeing how Nintendo handles this thing is going to be fascinating in itself. I think the NX has potential to do gangbusters, especially if Nintendo prices it right and markets it as a companion device to your smartphone, especially in Japan, which will eat up a high-powered handheld Nintendo device that unifies the libraries of both of Nintendo's hardware streams. And there are indications that they know where they messed up with the Wii U's marketing.

I'm not freaking out about the wait for the reveal, mind you, sheesh some people can't keep their heads on.

kurahador

Urghh...not a fan of this hybrid thing. Handheld version will always holding back the console.
Hope there will be more to it.

packy34

Urghh...not a fan of this hybrid thing. Handheld version will always holding back the console.
Hope there will be more to it.

Since the 3DS stomped all over the Wii U's numbers in every market, I'd say neither the market nor Nintendo really cares.

8PsH52Z.jpg

WXvG0G2.jpg

It's not newsworthy. Firstly, we know that NX is the consolidation of both Nintendo's handheld and console teams which happened in 2013-2014 as a result of Iwata's restructuring for next gen. So the support for Nintendo platforms going forwards *has* to move on to NX - there is no pick between handheld and console.

Secondly, even if we did assume NX is a console like the Wii U, I don't think it's true that TPC hesitated with Wii U anyway. Yes, Wii U only got Pokémon Rumble World in its early days, but so did 3DS.

The Wii U's substantial Pokémon release is one that made sense for the format (Pokken Tournament), and was a big investment in the grand scheme of Pokémon spinoffs. It's also one that was likely greenlit early on in Wii U's life, just like Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Both games didn't release until late in Wii U's (relatively short) lifespan due to their big budgets and need for more planning.

You could also argue that a substantial Pokémon game didn't hit 3DS until two-and-a-year years after launch, which also happened to be how long it took for Wii U's first substantial Pokémon game to release.

Calm Mind

It's not newsworthy. Firstly, we know that NX is the consolidation of both Nintendo's handheld and console teams which happened in 2013-2014 as a result of Iwata's restructuring for next gen. So the support for Nintendo platforms going forwards *has* to move on to NX - there is no pick between handheld and console.

Secondly, even if we did assume NX is a console like the Wii U, I don't think it's true that TPC hesitated with Wii U anyway. Yes, Wii U only got Pokémon Rumble World in its early days, but Pokken Tournament is a big investment and one that was likely greenlit early on in Wii U's life, just like Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Both games didn't release until late in Wii U's (relatively short) lifespan due to their big budgets and need for more planning.

You could also argue that a substantial Pokémon game didn't hit 3DS until two-and-a-year years after launch, which also happened to be how long it took for Wii U's first substantial Pokémon game to release.

Let's be honest here, The Pokemon Company didn't do jack shit for the Wii U. Like at all. Pokemon Rumble U was straight trash and Pokken Tournament is a great game made by Bandai Namco. Anything The Pokemon Company says on the contrary is bullshit.

Top Bottom