• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon CEO seemingly confirms NX is a console/handheld hybrid

Definitely not threadworthy, but small update to Emily Rogers' big NX post. Nothing very exciting, though.

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/...-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/#more-10516

Tiny Update #1 — September 20th, 2016

Toshiba, Megachips, and Macronix are all involved with the Nintendo NX.
Toshiba is the world’s second-largest NAND chip maker after Samsung. They also manufactured the flash memory chips for the Nintendo 3DS.
NX hardware is finalized. Don’t expect any drastic changes.
NX is now entering a very early stage of production.
Zero percent chance of NX being delayed from its March launch.

I've suggested before that people may be over thinking it. Nintendo are in a tough spot. If they revealed their plans early on, their competitors could make things tough for them seeing as there is no way Sony and Microsoft want to risk losing market share to Nintendo like back in the Wii era.

Hence, the secret would most likely be that it's a hybrid. I don't think there is anymore hidden secrets.

Edit: Correction, I should be saying the brand new concept is a hybrid. They wanted to keep that secret.

Tbh I think you're right. I think I'm just overthinking it. A hybrid is new and would be a very cool concept on its own. I hope they push "there will be a lot more Nintendo games on it" too.

Don't expect Nintendo giving you the moon. Going full on the hybrid train might already be a big game changer. Just consider a console which works as a handheld on the go, but also supports traditional home console like local multiplayer on TV with detachable controllers and additional controllers etc.
It's definitvely something completely new.

Yeah, I'm overthinking it. I'm getting pessimistic for no reason even though I'm usually not. A hybrid stronger than the Wii U is great. I hope Nintendo does a side by side comparison of BotW on Wii U and then show it how it looks better on the NX + plus you have the ability to take it on the road.

Hermii

In a hypothetical world where the NX was revealed 2 years ago, maybe Sony or ms would have come out with something that kind of did something similar. Smartglass, remote play. You never know.

ahkdigital

Neo Member
He also says Retro is working on a new IP - Mermaid Legends, a fantasy adventure game for mature audiences. I don't think he expects or wants his tweets to be taken seriously.

"The Faith and The Hope" isn't too shabby, though. It works as a band name if it doesn't turn out to be a game.

Also, don't knock "Mermaid Legends" : there could be some great work done with that sort of setting.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Quote still does not disprove people who believe it's a family of systems with multiple form factors that just share an OS

Sure, if they ignore common sense.

Edit: "The NX is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device"

A family of system doesn't change that concept. Sure, more devices can follow, but the first NX will be a game changer.

So...if they're still going to support 3DS into ...was it 2018?....then we'll likely stay having the main series games on 3DS until then right?

I'd love to have one on a hybrid console, especially if it means we can get really nice looking Pokemon models. The washed out colors of them in XYORAS make me sad when I'm looking at them compared to GO.

georly

someone will make a thread sooner or later anyway... and here I thought she said that she won't update anything about nx anymore

She has said that several times (ok maybe just two). Hard to hold in those rumors when so many people keep spreading the opposite. I too get the urge to correct people when they're wrong, so I don't blame her.

Meaning that they doesn't have a final product yet to show ?

NX hardware is finalized. Don’t expect any drastic changes.
NX is now entering a very early stage of production.

They very likely DO have a final product to show right now.

LordOfChaos

I don't think that idea is even worth being humored at this stage, but I guess we'll see.

Sure, if they ignore common sense.

Edit: "The NX is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device"

A family of system doesn't change that concept. Sure, more devices can follow, but the first NX will be a game changer.

Sure, I am not anticipating that either at this point. But still, we have exactly zero real confirmation or any specific quote from Nintendo themselves that really tells us exactly what this thing is or what type of consoles it is (or is not).

orioto

Good Art™
That said delay are not only about hardware... Nintendo has had more trouble being ready for it's launch line up in the past.

ggx2ac

As I anticipated first shot of preproduction starting in september
Hw finalized
And they attacked me back in early september

Hey, I was in agreement that things had to start soon because Nintendo had to produce a working prototype or have finalised retail units for their reveal because of how close to launch things are.

Pinky

Banned
Just waiting patiently. :) I feel news is coming real soon. My gut says so.

G1xDDpE.gif

kinggroin

Banned
You know, when there was this talk about increasing software output by creating a baseline OS that can accommodate multiple Nintendo devices...this isn't what I had in mind.

MoonFrog

Good. Hybrid made the shared catalogue mystery finally make sense. Portable and home launching together but as one instead of as a bundle. If Nintendo can get a good bang for buck ratio, where bang is power/efficiency/battery life/etc., hybrid was always the way to go.

Oersted

You know, when there was this talk about increasing software output by creating a baseline OS that can accommodate multiple Nintendo devices...this isn't what I had in mind.

They can simply release other devices later which will be compatible with the games format. No matter if handheld or home console.

They can simply release other devices later which will be compatible with the games format. No matter if handheld or home console.

Yes, I would assume the plan is for all dedicated Nintendo hardware going forward to iterate on the NX architecture, much as PS4 Pro (and likely whatever succeeds it) iterates on the PS4 architecture, and Scorpio will iterate on the XB1 architecture.

I think some people just want a powerful Nintendo home console-thinking they'll have so much third party because of it, but it doesn't work just like that.

I wouldn't be so nitpicky about translated statements.

I'm not being nitpicky, and I'm comparing this translated statement to other translated statements translated from the same language. I'm no expert in Japanese but you would think there is a clear difference between the words "platform" and "device", right?

Also the fact that the NX itself is what's being referred to as "trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device" has never been stated officially before. Previously it was Iwata speaking about Nintendo's "future hardware", before the NX code name was announced, that they would make statements about handhelds and consoles sharing an architecture, so many of us thought the NX might just the first device in that future line of hardware (and it still might be). But this quote indicates that the NX itself will have components of home consoles and handhelds, which clearly shows that it is very likely to be the rumored hybrid.

Schnozberry

The NX Tablet hybrid may not end up being the only form factor if it's a success.

Edit: Beaten

Top Bottom