• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 2: "This is the Real Power of Johto..."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
1. Samurott
2. Blastoise
3. Blaziken
4. Torterra
5. Typhlosion
6. Feraligatr
7. Empoleon
8. Sceptile
9. Infernape
10. Swampert
11. Charizard
12. Serperior
13. Emboar
14. Meganium
15. Venusaur

zroid

Banned
1. Samurott
2. Empoleon
3. Torterra
4. Blastoise
5. Serperior
6. Charizard
7. Venusaur
8. Typhlosion
9. Meganium
10. Feraligatr
11. Emboar
12. Infernape
13. Swampert
14. Sceptile
15. Blaziken

I feel like doing some ev training myself. Who to train is the problem though...

I think one should always try to train their favourite pokemon when EV training, that way you can (somewhat) follow the same principles of the Nuzlocke challenge and build bonds with your team. You should probably take a look at smogon if you're new to this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Samurott ftw

samuk4kr8.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone have a Lightingrod Zapdos I could borrow for the upcoming tournament (defensive minded would be great)? I'll trade it back after, or if it's cloned I would love to keep it.

Santiako

I'm an hour into White 2 and hadn't played since Gold on the GBC. I should only worry about all that nature/ev/iv stuff if I want to do multiplayer, right?

backlot

Anyone have a Lightingrod Zapdos I could borrow for the upcoming tournament (defensive minded would be great)? I'll trade it back after, or if it's cloned I would love to keep it.

I could get you a Bold Pressure Zapdos if you wanted it. I wish I had a Lightningrod Zapdos.

Unicorn

Is there another place to find tiers and tourney legal pokemon besides smogon?

I haven't touched a legendary pokemon in a good 10 years because apart from catching it, I wouldn't be able to train it to use competitively with friends. To have a list of "legal" is legendaries could help breathe some life in our battles.

PK Gaming

I haven't touched a legendary pokemon in a good 10 years because apart from catching it, I wouldn't be able to train it to use competitively with friends. To have a list of "legal" is legendaries could help breathe some life in our battles.

Pokemon-online has a banlist

But generally:

Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-W, Lugia, Manaphy, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Zekrom are considered too unfair for legal play.

backlot

You could play by Battle Tower/Subway rules which basically just bans all cover legends and event legends like Mew.

PK Gaming

Is there something i can read to understand what all that means? nature/ev/iv that is

You can search it up on various pokemon related websites like smogon, serebii, bulbapedia, but here's a brief rundown.

nature: the typical boosts any given stat by 10% and decrease another stat by 10%.
a bold nature for example, boosts a pokemons defense by 10% and lowers its attack by 10%. You can see how this segregates the good pokemon from the bad (you wouldn't want a bold natured machamp for example)

ivs: They're like... bonus point stats. Every pokemon has ivs for all 6 stats. "ivs" range from 0-31. So a pokemon's attack IV could have 10, defense could have 21... etc. IVs add to a Pokemon's stats (at lvl 100 for example, 31 attack IVs would give you 31 extra attack).

FULL EXAMPLE:
Quiet natured (+10%SpA / -10% Speed)
Tauros
30HP /5Atk /2Def /31SpA /20SpD /5 Speed

Suffice it to say, that would be a very bad tauros haha.

Generally, Pokemon that have maxed out IVs are the only ones worth using (in addition to having the right nature!).

Is there something i can read to understand what all that means? nature/ev/iv that is

Bold is a nature. It raises Defense by 10% while lowering Attack by 10%.

Pressure or Lightningrod is the Ability. Pressure causes your opponent's attacks to take 2 PP every use. Lightningrod allows your Pokémon to absorb all Electric attacks (even in Double battles when it wasn't the one aimed for) and gives you a one-stage boost (50%) to your Special Attack.

PK Gaming is on the EV/IV stuff it looks like.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
You can search it up on various pokemon related websites like smogon, serebii, bulbapedia, but here's a brief rundown.

nature: the typical boosts any given stat by 10% and decrease another stat by 10%.
a bold nature for example, boosts a pokemons defense by 10% and lowers its attack by 10%. You can see how this segregates the good pokemon from the bad (you wouldn't want a bold natured machamp for example)

ivs: They're like... bonus point stats. Every pokemon has ivs for all 6 stats. "ivs" range from 0-31. So a pokemon's attack IV could have 10, defense could have 21... etc. IVs add to a Pokemon's stats (at lvl 100 for example, 31 attack IVs would give you 31 extra attack).

FULL EXAMPLE:
Quiet natured (+10%SpA / -10% Speed)
Tauros
30HP /5Atk /2Def /31SpA /20SpD /5 Speed

Suffice it to say, that would be a very bad tauros haha.

Generally, Pokemon that have maxed out IVs are the only ones worth using (in addition to having the right nature!).

Geezus I had no idea it was this in-depth! So I could possibly have to re-lvl my pokemon because they arent the right nature? wowza! Thanks for the info, looks like ill have alot of reading to figure this out!

Subaru

Hey GAF, sorry but I'm gonna ask a noob question!

I'll buy PKMN BW/BW2 today, both together. Should I buy the same color (PKMN Black 1 and 2) or alternate (PKMN Black and PKMN White 2)?

Tkz!

I've been wanting to ask this question myself. Why is it better to get the same color?

The major reason is the legendary.

In Black, you catch Reshiram. In White, you catch Zekrom.

In Black 2, you catch Zekrom. In White 2, you catch Reshiram.

If you pick the same color, you get both legendaries. If you swap, you end up with two of the same Pokémon.

Andrefpvs

The major reason is the legendary.

In Black, you catch Reshiram. In White, you catch Zekrom.

In Black 2, you catch Zekrom. In White 2, you catch Reshiram.

If you pick the same color, you get both legendaries. If you swap, you end up with two of the same Pokémon.

Also, a few plot points remain consistent if you play the same colour.

Top Bottom