• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 3: "Soon, All of Hoenn Will Be Under Its Withering Glare…"

Did not know there wa-

... Wait, I DO remember there being an extended opener back when I had a Pokemon CD.

But that was a looong time ago.

JoeM86

So Pokemon Symphonic Evolutions was last night in Toronto, and damn was it awesome.

Merchandise wise, we got the shirts and posters, no overpriced Pikachu plushes. No Pokemon themed drinks either ;__;

If I had one thing to complain about, I wish that they put in Cynthia's theme over the Lake Guardians music. The Lake Guardians music was pretty good though...

For someone who didn't think XY's soundtrack was all that great, their versions of the music was surprisingly awesome.

My last disappointment of the night is directed at our Toronto crowd. During the Pokemon theme song, everyone was too damn quiet. Almost as if they were too self conscious. And they only sang the first minute of the song and it seemed like no one knew the whole song. It was sad. :/ Oh well.

And that conductor....man, what a beautiful lady. She can conduct me anyday. </Brock>

No way in hell am I singing along when at the UK ones. Yikes, awkward to the max.

Busaiku

So here's my Red vs Cynthia fanfic. Sorry for crappy quality and even more terrible dialogue.
Both - ! Red - Our eyes met! That means you want to battle! Cythia - Hmm said:
d2Zreluh.jpg
Red - So what are the rules? Cynthia - Let's go all out and use all our Pokemon. Red - Sounds good to me! Red - Go Bulbasaur! Cynthia - Come out said:
Red - Garchomp said:
Red - Bulbasaur said:
Red - Attack it Bulbasaur! Cynthia - Take it down said:
Cynthia - Great work Garchomp! *Garchomp roars* Red - Dang said:
Red - ...Squirtle! *Squirtle noises* Cynthia - Keep it up Garchomp! *Garchomp noises* said:
Red - Squirtle said:
Cynthia - Great work Garchomp said:
Red - Don't let their efforts go to waste! It's your turn said:
Red - Charmander said:
Red - You did it Charmander! *Charmander noises* Cynthia - Oh no said:
Red - Come out everyone! You were all fantastic! *Bulbasaur said:
Red - That was a great battle! You were amazing! Cynthia - You demonstrated yourself quite well out there too. Red - Let's battle again some day! Cynthia - I look forward to that day. said:

Seeing Moltres evaporate Water-type moves made me wonder if Gamefreak should put in a ability that acts like a weaker Desolate Land/Primordial Sea.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Weird they're doing a new Sunday show now, seems like those only got replaced when a new Generation began...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To be fair, Get TV was kinda subpar compared to Smash. They only picked up the pace around right at the middle of their airing.

Also near naked fat man.

Boss Doggie

In other news Blaziken is out officially in Pokken! Yeah he was only playable on certain test locations.

JoeM86

Interestingly, another card has been banned from the Expanded Format

op-shiftry-card-ban-169-en.jpg

As of September 1, 2015, Shiftry will be banned from all sanctioned Play! Pokémon tournaments that use the Expanded format. This card has created an undesirable play environment because it:

Creates a strategy that frequently wins on the first turn of the game

Creates a non-interactive play environment where the opponent has little impact on the outcome of the match

Shiftry's previous Evolutions, Seedot (XY—Flashfire, 5/106) and Nuzleaf (XY—Flashfire, 6/106), are Grass-type Pokémon, so it's possible to evolve to Shiftry in one turn using the Forest of Giant Plants (XY—Ancient Origins, 74/98) Stadium card. With the help of Devolution Spray (Black & White—Dragons Exalted, 113/124), Super Scoop Up (XY—Furious Fists, 100/111), and Recycle (Black & White—Emerging Powers, 96/98), players can use the Giant Fan Ability repeatedly to get rid of all of the opponent's Pokémon—and win the game in one turn.

The Giant Fan strategy works consistently enough to cause concern. Frequent first-turn wins are a sign of an unhealthy play environment, and the Shiftry deck is capable of doing that a high percentage of the time. Since Shiftry has a clearly negative effect on the Expanded format, we feel that the best option is to ban it from that environment.

Shiftry's success does rely on a series of coin flips, so it always has some chance to fail, but cards such as Shaymin-EX (XY—Roaring Skies, 77/108) and Bicycle (Black & White—Plasma Storm, 117/135) usually provide enough drawing power to overcome a bad series of coin flips. Wobbuffet (XY—Phantom Forces, 36/119) and Baltoy (XY—Ancient Origins, 32/98) can stop the deck's strategy, but only if the opponent starts the game with one of them. Even then, the Shiftry deck can get around those Pokémon by using Lysandre (XY—Ancient Origins, 78/98) or other creative tactics.

Currently the Expanded format contains over 15 Pokémon TCG expansions. As new expansions are released, powerful card combinations with older cards may arise. Therefore, we will aggressively monitor tournament results and new expansions for any unhealthy card combinations. If any cards have a negative or centralizing effect on the metagame, we will ban them to maintain a fun and healthy play environment.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/shiftry-banned-from-expanded-format/

Mr-Joker

Banned

Catchy.

So Chespin still won't evolve? Not that I'm complaining...

I wonder why they didn't give Chespin to Ash?

God, only 1 of his Unova starters evolved right? And only once, what was even going on in that arc

Oshawott was clearly meant to fully evolve as was Iris's Axew but they became popluar and that plan was scrapped.

The same thing happened with Dawn's Piplup.

Watch Da Birdie

God, only 1 of his Unova starters evolved right? And only once, what was even going on in that arc

Yeah, and Pignite was basically pushed out of focus for Charizard and never did much.

I don't know why they didn't let Snivy evolve, its personality could've easily been kept through Serperior.

At least his back-up Pokemon were allowed to evolve, but they all ended up being largely ignored---shame because him constantly switching around Pokemon off-screen and being a surprise as to what he'd use would've been a cool element, instead it was pretty much always the starters and Scraggy except for the rare moment when one of the others got a small time to shine. And they barely got any focus outside of their capture or time to actually show off a personality.

At least his back-up Pokemon were allowed to evolve, but they all ended up being largely ignored---shame because him constantly switching around Pokemon off-screen and being a surprise as to what he'd use would've been a cool element, instead it was pretty much always the starters and Scraggy except for the rare moment when one of the others got a small time to shine. And they barely got any focus outside of their capture or time to actually show off a personality.

yeah, I remember looking forward to Ash having a large team for once

but instead of seeing them all evenly, it was basically like one rotating spot on the team so nothing much really changed

The Unova anime....man, it seriously depresses me how awful it was. I'm trying to come up with what they did right, and my list is painfully short.

-Iris and Cilan's Japanese voice actors, Aoi Yuki and Mamoru Miyano were top class. They were absolutely amazing. Pokemon doesn't usually have a top tier main cast like this. The English voices weren't so bad.

-I liked the first Japanese opening.

...Yeah, that's about it. -_-

Jay RaR

I wouldn't mind Chespin not evolving but at the same time I'll be sad that it didn't evolve to Chesnaught as I think it's a pretty solid looking Pokemon. I picked Chespin as my starter in X so I'm kinda biased on this.

Braixen can stay as Braixen as I don't want it to evolve to that ugly 3rd evo.

Keropon

Apparently, Chile is having some corruption issues. The gist of it is that the company in charge of the Pokemon license in Chile, Big Bang Entertainment, is blocking people from becoming TOs so only their guy can host official tournaments there (he's also allegedly a dick).

If true, this is a bunch of bullshit and makes me sad.

I was about to post this... such a sad situation taking into account what happened @ the first Pokémon Day event with Juegos de Video de Chile and their premature announcement of the Pikachu 3DSXL and Meloetta event that costed them to not have any Pikachu 3DSXL shipped to them at the time...

Also, 'their guy' is the one that OWNS Big Bang Entertainment iirc, making this a bad joke

So i recently started to play ORAS very seriously so im going back and watching the Hoenn saga of the show and god damn is there alot of episodes for that region o.0

I was about to post this... such a sad situation taking into account what happened @ the first Pokémon Day event with Juegos de Video de Chile and their premature announcement of the Pikachu 3DSXL and Meloetta event that costed them to not have any Pikachu 3DSXL shipped to them at the time...

Also, 'their guy' is the one that OWNS Big Bang Entertainment iirc, making this a bad joke
Oh seriously?

That's... That is so fucking dumb and explains everything.

Keropon

Oh seriously?

That's... That is so fucking dumb and explains everything.

Actually verified the information at his linkedin account...

He isn't the guy who -owns- Big Bang Entertainment, but he's their Community Manager. So that's that, lol.

Apparently he also manages the company's Social Media accounts and has been spotted making snarky comments with at the Pokémon fan communities that tried to get more OTs.

There was even some trouble with a player that had some tourney rounds info just before Worlds uploaded wrong or something and because of that he couldn't apply to go... and he already had his plane ticket bought :/

The Unova anime....man, it seriously depresses me how awful it was. I'm trying to come up with what they did right, and my list is painfully short.

-Iris and Cilan's Japanese voice actors, Aoi Yuki and Mamoru Miyano were top class. They were absolutely amazing. Pokemon doesn't usually have a top tier main cast like this. The English voices weren't so bad.

Cilan while underdeveloped was a fantastic character. The only bright spot in a terrible season.

AZ's response to the Chile thing:
Please do not witch hunt. Organizers go above and beyond to provide for local communities and many work countless hours to do their best to create events for players and the community.

VGC is very new in Latin America - there are still areas to improve including on boarding new organizers. This issue isn't limited too Latin America - the process for on boarding VGC organizers is still being improved.

A year ago there were under 5 approved organizers in all of Latin America and now there are over 30. This number will continue to increase, as will the number of organizers in individual countries. This will not happen immediately, but progress is being made at a fairly steady pace.
Knowing that they're aware of the issue is good but the last paragraph kind of wasn't necessary. "Look at all these other countries that don't keep having their applications rejected! Doesn't that make you feel better?"

Watch Da Birdie

A lot of people hated her, but I really liked Iris. She was fun. Cilan was too, but a lot of times he sort of got on my nerves because it seemed there was a point they sort of ran with his "---Time" gimmick and every episode seemed to have him monopolize the focus. But I think everyone was glad they finally let Brock take a break.

Stefan (was that his dub name, the Sawk dude?) was a cool character, and I loved the Tournament Arc where he fought Throh. Those two mini-Tournament Arcs the Don George hosted were years ahead of the shitty Unova League, huh? Actually, the show had some cool rivals in Stefan, Georgia, Burgundy, and Bianca. But then we had Trip, who was like oh my god so bland and fucking pointless, and the two Unova League rivals (forgot their names, never actually finished watching that far) seemed shitty too.

Um, the Meowth joins the gang arc was a great idea---the episodes were basically filler, but it was cute idea. I'm tempted to say since if they ever write out Team Rocket, have Meowth join Ash because that opens up some cool plot ideas, and could lead to more development for the Pokemon if they had a translator.

Dropping Team Rocket from some episodes was good. I think them not being in fillers sort of weakened them since often their antics can save episodes, but leaving them out of Gym Battles was smart---too bad the Gyms SUCKED.

But, that's like it. There are SO many problems with Best Wishes...

* Team Rocket sucks. I said it. I didn't like them becoming super-serious, and even when they lightened up a bit, they were completely dull. Honestly, even in XY I think they're really boring and don't have the same humor anymore they used to. It's a shame, because I think in DP they were top-tier since they were entertaining, but the Contest plotline actually have us time to see them as fairly competent, and they had a great team. In BW, they only had Woobat and Yamask, which was weird since they were meant to be more "evil" in Best Wishes yet the writers couldn't give them more powerful Pokemon---why they didn't just keep Seviper, Carnivine, and Yanmega on since they were relatively more threatening confuses me, but I guess they wanted to do the whole "reboot" thing. Fuck no Wobbuffet though, XY bringing him back ruled.

* Fillers were often lame, with weak comedy, and instead of Team Rocket, they just seemed to randomly have a Pokemon attack the group for tension. And the plot episodes were barely better---the Pokemon got barely any focus and didn't really have much personality besides Axew, Scraggy, and the Starters. And I fucking hate the Gym Battles---the Elesa one being the worse.

* Ash wasn't as funny as he was in Kanto dumbing him down, and I missed his Hoenn/DP-self where he was basically the strongest, arguably the smartest since Brock by then had lost a lot of his maturity, and competent and fun to watch. Him forgetting to bring Pokemon with him to Elesa pissed me off so much. I'm glad XY fixed this, and he's back to roughly DP level---although he seems to be a bit nerfed still.

* Decolora Islands. Jesus christ. It sounded fun, you know maybe it'd be neat like Orange Islands, but from what I read it sounds completely pointless and a waste of time where nothing happened.

Best Wishes literally doesn't need to exist.

Boss Doggie

Iris grates on my nerves and was a shitty character. Full of hand-me-downs for someone stated to be a Dragon Master.

Bonnie managed to evolve a dragon type Pokemon that she doesn't even own!

We can never forget that a level 100+ pikachu lost to a freaking level 1 snivy. I swear the writers hated ash lol.

that was more of Zekrom giving Pikachu electric arthritis.

It was... dumb and stupid.

JoeM86

We can never forget that a level 100+ pikachu lost to a freaking level 1 snivy. I swear the writers hated ash lol.

Even though levels aren't really in the anime, here's the game comparison I use.

Situationally, Zekrom had damaged Pikachu and made it unable to use its electric moves

Let's say Pikachu is at 1HP due to the Zekrom hit.

Pikachu uses Thunderbolt
But it failed
Snivy uses Leaf Tornado
It hits
Pikachu faints

It is every bit explainable in game terms. Level != immunity to weaker Pokémon.

People really need to let that go and understand the context more. It has been 5 years.

I find it interesting that both XY and the Exp. Share seem to get so much hate on GAF. I heard both get a fuckton of praise IRL when the game came out and even for a while afterwards and the Exp. Share in particular had a ton of people raving about it (For reference, my college had a place where all the nerds hanged out) so I find this a bit surprising.

Busaiku

GAF is a hardcore gaming forum.
Filthy casuals will of course love it like the plebs they are.
And hardcore Pokemon fans too since no one wants to sit around days leveling.

I'd like to know where this saying that the initial generations were much more difficult came from.

Literally the first time I played, I soloed Blue with Blastoise. And again with Charizard. It was only in Yellow that I even considered raising a team equally, and I beat the game with my team constantly underleveled.

Really, once you've played enough, there's not much you can do to make any of the games more difficult without restricting yourself.

brinstar

The thing that gets me about the whining about the EXP Share is you can literally just turn it off. Like, when they gave it to me in the game the first thing I did was make sure it wasn't on cause I didn't like the idea of it. The end. (though I do use it for endgame grinding for multiplayer)

Top Bottom