• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

backlot

bw_302_sableye_sprite_by_azureblaxis-d36b7wd.gif

Stop; you're going to make Sableye cry.

Nah, he's got a much better ability anyway.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dream Eater off 65 special attack doesn't seem that great. Hypnosis's poor accuracy doesn't help either.

Yes. Sableye should basically never run an attacking move that is not Night Shade (and Psychic is a pretty poor attacking type for something without STAB on it), and trapping sets, which are limited to singles, are risky at best. Priority Taunt, Recover, Trick, Will-O-Wisp, and Substitute. This is what you really want.

Yeah, I guess I forgot Sableye doesn't have the stats to make most sets work x_x

Also, I run a trapping set on my Umbreon. With the right items and a bit of luck, they can be the single most frustrating thing ever.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, I guess I forgot Sableye doesn't have the stats to make most sets work x_x

Also, I run a trapping set on my Umbreon. With the right items and a bit of luck, they can be the single most frustrating thing ever.

Not in an actual competent competitive environment. There are way too many switch-ins for Umbreon, especially in Singles. If you Mean Look the switch in, you're likely stuck looking down something like Heracross, or Conkeldurr which will OHKO Umbreon while not caring about status. The only Pokemon Umbreon can trap are walls on a Stall based team. But Umbreon being destroyed by Taunt doesn't help matters.

Umbreon's best roll is likely Wish Passing, giving that Mean Look can no longer be passed and it was not a reliable strategy to begin with. But Dark type is not a good defensive type for the most part. It has few good resist, and a bunch of weaknesses. Umbreon struggles more because of this, and that fact that he is run over by Weather based teams by not resist their moves and the fact that Umbreon possess almost no threat.

I like Umbreon from a design standpoint, but he has very limited value in VGC, or even Smogon singles. Mean Look passing in previous generations was the best use of the move, but limited extensively by the Pokemon that learned the combination. Smeargle was the most 'effective', but to have success with it on a consistent basis against high level competition was rare. Now Mean Look trapping is enough more impossible, and you have to count on keeping your trapper hidden until counters to it have been taken out (and then using something like Umbreon's Curse set), or your opponent not being very good and allowing you to trap something that can do nothing against your trapper.

I'm finally getting into EVs and checking Natures and trying to build a good Eevee team. What's generally the worst one? I'm finding people saying Flareon is the worst.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm finally getting into EVs and checking Natures and trying to build a good Eevee team. What's generally the worst one? I'm finding people saying Flareon is the worst.

Flareon is 'the worst', but he can cover Glaceon and Leafeon with his Flash Fire and he's one of three likely physical Eevees (Leafeon, Flareon, Umbreon). And if he's coming from 4th Gen, he can learn Superpower there which lets him handle a lot of Pokemon. If you run one, I would use a Quiet nature and mix Superpower / Fire Blast, as your primary options.

Glaceon despite having amazing Special Attack is pretty limiting move pool wise, and offers nothing resist wise.

Leafeon has the speed and attack to actually be a setup sweeper, and I think he's worth keeping around on an Eevee team.

So I would probably drop Glaceon. You don't really need another Special sweeper, and Glaceon is far slower than Espeon and Jolteon.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I should probably be more specific before an Eevee Defense Force forms, but Ice and Grass aren't "unplayable" bad. They certainly have their uses, but Flareon is nearly universally-agreed to be the worst.

Glaceon has nearly the same amount of problems (no speed, terrible defensive type, no move pool), but at least has Ice Beam / Blizzard for STAB off its highest attack. Flareon can be a wall breaker of sorts on an Eevee team though, whereas Glaceon is outclassed by the other specially based Pokemon.

Glaceon has nearly the same amount of problems (no speed, terrible defensive type, no move pool), but at least has Ice Beam / Blizzard for STAB off its highest attack. Flareon can be a wall breaker of sorts on an Eevee team though, whereas Glaceon is outclassed by the other specially based Pokemon.

Well if you're using Flareon and Glaceon on an Eevee team, then you obviously don't care about their obvious deficiencies. :p

Boogiepop

Man, they really upgraded the Wondercard count in BW, didn't they? Only just noticed that it can apparently hold up to 12. That's awesome!

Emitan

I love how the AI still tries to lower my Speed even when Trick Room is up...

EDIT: WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU CARRY STRING SHOT IN DOUBLES?

Wichu

Use Eevee! Here's my 4th gen set:

Eevee @ Salac Berry
Jolly/Adaptability
4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
-Endure
-Flail
-Quick Attack
-Bite

You'll have to think of some way around the lack of Salac Berry in 5th gen though :(

I just finished my second run of Platinum using a team of:

Porygon-Z (Tri-Attack, Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Nasty Plot) Ability: Adaptability
Probopass (Power Gem, Earth Power, Stealth Rock, Flash Cannon) Ability: Sturdy
Drifblim (Thunder, Shadow Ball, Fly, Rain Dance) Ability: Aftermath
Jolteon (Thunder Bolt, Shadow Ball, Charge Beam, Thunder) Ability: Volt Absorb
Infernape (Flare Blitz, Close Combat, Stone Edge, Earthquake) Ability: Blaze
Vespiquen (Attack Order, Power Gem, Sludge Bomb, Destiny Bond) Ability: Pressure
(Note: my team was in the low 50s when I beat the Champion)

Before you ask, yes, I was trying to use a team of (mostly) underused Pokémon. It was tons of fun, and I suggest anyone else who wants a bit of a challenge should try it.

Landorus
icon_metal.gif

Diddled around with the Entralink today on a friend's White version. Fun stuff. Gotta get that Black City up and running.

ed: Why the hell can't Nidoqueen breed? Did Game Freak really just not want to make NidoGod?

J@hranimo

Banned
Speaking of Eevees, it takes forever to get a good Timid nature Eevee with good Sp. Atk. IVs AND has HP Ice >_<. Been working on this for over a week!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Eevee @ Salac Berry
Jolly/Adaptability
-Endure
-Flail
-Quick Attack
-Bite

You'll have to think of some way around the lack of Salac Berry in 5th gen though :(

Once they come back, Sub-Agility Empoleon will be even more amazing than last generation with perma-rain so common.

Schmitty

Eevee @ Salac Berry
Jolly/Adaptability
-Endure
-Flail
-Quick Attack
-Bite

explain to me why this is a good setup

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
explain to me why this is a good setup

It's not overwhelming powerful, but Eevee with Adaptability makes Flail 400 base power which can knock quite a few things out. Quick Attack is for faster foes, and Bite is for Ghost who are immune to your Normal attacks. Sadly, without Salac Berry and no speed boosting moves, Eevee is too slow and likely to be KO'ed before doing anything.

backlot

Speaking of Eevees, it takes forever to get a good Timid nature Eevee with good Sp. Atk. IVs AND has HP Ice >_<. Been working on this for over a week!

Do any of the parents you're using have perfect IV's? If you can get parents with perfect special attack, special defense, and speed it will make hidden power ice a bit more common.

Boogiepop

Will the set-up for the online tournament thing level pokemon up as well as down, or do I have to get all of my pokemon I intend to use up to level 50?

MikeMyers

awesome
jolteon espeon vaporeon

good
umbreon

bad
leafeon, glaceon

flareblitz
flareon

If they gave Flareon the ability Speed Boost and Earthquake to beat up Rock/other Fire Types....he might actually be able to faint a Pokemon.

My favourite of the Eevee evolutions, but he sucks. :/

Top Bottom