• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I am the
Masuda
eye in the sky
Looking at you~ou~ooo
I can change your mind
I am the maker of rules
Dealing with fool~ool~ools
I can read yo mind~
And I don't need to see anymore to know that
I can read your mind~ (4x)

I am the
Masuda
eye in the sky
Looking at you~ou~ooo
I can change your mind
I am the maker of rules
Dealing with fool~ool~ools
I can read yo mind~
And I don't need to see anymore to know that
I can read your mind~ (4x)

Don't leave false illusions behind
Don't cry 'cause I ain't changing my mind
So find another fool like before
Cause I ain't gonna live anymore believing
Some of the lies while all of the signs are deceiving

MikeMyers

Playing through Blue right now, and dang, Starmie is streamrolling everything with Surf/Psychic/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt. Poor Pinsir. Doesn't even learn a bug move.

Also, I have no idea how resists work in this game anymore. Sometimes it's neutral, sometimes it's not very effective. Poison is super effective against bugs and not very effective against grass/poison. wut

Ice Beam is SE against Charizard and Gyarados in RBY, but apparently the later is just a glitch and it does neutral damage.

Nidoking is easiest to solo with - Double Kick/Earthquake/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt.

I used Venusaur ~ Swords Dance/Body Slam/Sleep Powder/Razor Leaf, killed anything that wasn't called Gengar.

Slermy

So I'm planning an in-game team for Soul Silver, and need a 6th recommendation.

Meganium (I swear Gamefreak hates Chikorita, almost ever gym resists her)
Red Gyarados
Ampharos
Quagsire
Espeon

I'm trying to keep my team Gen 2 themed, Gyarados is on there because the Shinyness represents something Gen 2 introduced.

Hmm... a bit odd since you already have an eeveelution, but I'd suggest Umbreon. I find mine to be very useful.

It ain't Gen III, though!

Route 113's music alone makes Gen III awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfARFF9S5Jg

So I'm planning an in-game team for Soul Silver, and need a 6th recommendation.

Meganium (I swear Gamefreak hates Chikorita, almost ever gym resists her)
Red Gyarados
Ampharos
Quagsire
Espeon

I'm trying to keep my team Gen 2 themed, Gyarados is on there because the Shinyness represents something Gen 2 introduced.
Use Houndoom.

Ice Beam is SE against Charizard and Gyarados in RBY, but apparently the later is just a glitch and it does neutral damage.
The messages you get when using attacks ("It's super effective!" "It's not very effective") are kind of jumbled up in RBY, but the type matchups are mostly the same. Poison is SE against bug and Ghost doesn't affect Psychic.

Firemind

Pinsir really is useless in this game despite looking like a total badass. Stuck with Vicegrip until lvl. 49. Doesn't learn Swords Dance until lvl. 54. Can't teach it Earthquake. Can't teach it Rock Slide. Learns Harden.

Forever in the shadow of the Scyther family.

Pinsir really is useless in this game despite looking like a total badass. Stuck with Vicegrip until lvl. 49. Doesn't learn Swords Dance until lvl. 54. Can't teach it Earthquake. Can't teach it Rock Slide. Learns Harden.

Forever in the shadow of the Scyther family.

It took until Gen 3 for it to learn a proper Bug move, and Gen 4 for it to see actual use.

There are several better choices in Gen 1, you would do well to abandon Pinsir now.

I remember saving up all my ashes for that crummy black flute the first time, it didn't repel anything!
The confusion curing flute on the other hand, that was incredibly useful considering the odds of the inaccurate supersonic hitting me are unusually high.

Schmitty

Why does SS/HG have such a gap in pokemon levels? I have 16 badges but my team in only in the 50s. Elite four is in 70s now and Red is in 80s. How the hell am I supposed to level up?

Wow.
Bianca's Emboar grabbing Trip's Conkeldurr's pillars and beating the shit out of it with them is simply the bossest thing.

I really like how Bianca's improving as a battler. It's too bad that her Emboar and Ash's Scraggy are destined to lose in the semis just so Sawk and Throh can have their rival battle T_T

They were doing so well, too...

maybe the writers will let scraggy slide.....barely anyway....oh who am i kidding, the writers hate ash.

The next episode is confirmed to be Sawk vs. Throh, so there's no chance of Scraggy or Emboar winning.

I'm still holding out on some hope that Scraggy will miraculously evolve into Scrafty and Shinku Scradoken Throh into a fever dream in which he fights Sawk. It'd be weird, but I would applaude.

Why does SS/HG have such a gap in pokemon levels? I have 16 badges but my team in only in the 50s. Elite four is in 70s now and Red is in 80s. How the hell am I supposed to level up?
You don't level up! Well at least I never did, gen 2 levels are all over the place and this is true even before you reach Kanto, at least the remakes might have more ways to level up but I don't know what they are aside from tedious wild pokemon grinding.
And yes this means I never beat Red either, I did scrape through the second round elite 4 but I can't remember how I got the levels high enough aside from Gliscor and Scizor being sword dancing machines, i'm always underleveled for the elite 4.

Wow.
Bianca's Emboar grabbing Trip's Conkeldurr's pillars and beating the shit out of it with them is simply the bossest thing.
Okay that does sound pretty awesome, almost enough for me to investigate.

I love Georgia/Langley's logic in this arc:

>enters a tournament meant for Fighting-types

>uses Bisharp

Well I never thought Brock entering the fighting pokemon tournament in Kanto with freaking Geodude could be topped but here we are.
That tournament also cemented Primeape as best fighting type, simply delicious.

Well I never thought Brock entering the fighting pokemon tournament in Kanto with freaking Geodude could be topped but here we are.
That tournament also cemented Primeape as best fighting type, simply delicious.

dp101.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
We were in Community before it was cool. /hipster

Wait, it still isn't cool. /anti-hipster

—Your community leader~! A-N-D-Rex!

I recently found out that my Bushi Seiryuuden ROM was corrupted to the extent that I couldn't go to a certain point early in the game at all without the game freezing. Sucks, too, as I was making some head-way into the game (with the help of an FAQ, admittedly, so I could get acclimated to the menus). It's been a surprisingly great puzzle-adventure game so far, with unique battles for each overworld screen (each overworld encounter, sort of like Earthbound, represents a unique battle). And the story itself seems very interesting, mainly because of the Jomon-era setting and ethereal nature of the audiovisuals.

Makes me wish that Ken Sugimori would do more art outside of Pokemon. The in-game visuals are outstanding artistically, quite good for their time and for the platform.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I love Georgia/Langley's logic in this arc:

>enters a tournament meant for Fighting-types

>uses Bisharp

It's weird how Bisharp was in the last two episode titles as if it was the MAIN fight, but it appeared for like a minute in each. :/

Top Bottom