• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Wiseblade

I did something today that I didn't need to do, but have been promising myself that I'd do for 7 years, at the first available opportunity. It was pointless, and a waste of money, but I'm really happy with my purchase.

That's right, I bought a copy of Destiny Deoxys on UK DVD.

SO HAPPY :)

Meh, you should have bought a good movie like Lucario and The Mystery of Mew.

I would have, if such a DVD were available.
However, I was so hyped to see this movie back in 2004 when we first saw Munchlax, and it always crushed me that we never got it. The DVD only became available last week!

Man, I've never realised how much better the anime looks now than it did then.

As far as mindless pokemon punch ups go I always thought Destiny Deoxys was pretty fun, that and hovering metagross with tucked in legs never fails to amuse.

Ah, Destiny Deoxys. I remember buying that movie on VHS back when I was about 11 :')

I STILL think that Munchlax is the most adorable (and second best) Pokémon ever because of that movie. His recycling shtick was hilarious.

I also remember being really annoyed by Tori's incompetence, and frustrated by the way Rayquaza was pronounced (I thought and still think it's ray-QWAH-zuh).

Ah, memories~

MikeMyers

I like Mewtwo Returns, I remember liking Destiny Dexoys as well.

Movie 3 I didn't finish...mainly because I was an anti-Entei fiend who believed Charizard would just Earthquake that bastard in a real GSC fight.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Haha, if you think the US ending of Destiny Deoxys is hilariously out of place, then you haven't heard the Japanese ending song...LOVELY BOY.

This is the only version I can find on Youtube, though.

This is MY guilty pleasure when it comes to Pokemon Music.

Destiny Deoxys is a good movie, you shut that beak of yours.
I thought it had the best sense of dread out of all the movies, as it's pretty scary once Deoxys appears, literally disables the heroes from releasing their Pokemon, and then begin to abduct everyone. And the little Tag Battle at the beginning is pretty cool, even if it's a curbstomp. But Torkoal. :D

Movie 3 I didn't finish...mainly because I was an anti-Entei fiend who believed Charizard would just Earthquake that bastard in a real GSC fight.

hOZeM.jpg

Number one reason to watch the 3rd movie.
I just liked how the villains of the movie were pokemon, and it actually made Unnowns pretty cool.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I liked the random munchlax
Munchlax is my favorite pre-release Pokemon (well, out of the ones who debuted in movies) ever.

I enjoyed May's in the show too. Especially the bromance it had with Max.

Sagitario

This has to be the worst of them all [haven't watched Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea]. So boring.

For me, Pokémon movies are a guilty pleasure and this one was dreadful. They ruined Mew.

The first 3 movies are still the best IMO (the animation of Spell of the Unown hasn't been surpassed yet... plus, there are actual Pokémon battles)

He put a good fight, though :( . Stupid Unowns helping Entei :mad:

The first 3 movies are still the best IMO (the animation of Spell of the Unown hasn't been surpassed yet... plus, there are actual Pokémon battles)

The Lugia movie is certainly in my top 3 of the movies, but looking back with an objective eye, Mewtwo Strikes Back and Spell of the Unown aren't really up there.

As for the animation, Pokemon the Movie Black and White are incredible in that regard; particularly the opening credits battles, which are just on a totally different level to what we've seen before.

As for Destiny Deoxys, it was much better than I remembered it. The CGI is hilariously awful, and the music is really pretty bad (apart from Deoxys' little tubular bells motif- that's really nice), but Watch Da Birdie nails it talking about the sense of tension and dread; that scene with the Deoxys tentacles coming through the air vents probably traumatised a generation of kids. Only the Groudon bits of Jirachi Wishmaker and the tree bits of Lucario and the Mystery of Mew come close.

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew is still just on a totally different level to the rest of the movies, though; backstory, scale, emotion, action, the lot.

Sagitario

The Lugia movie is certainly in my top 3 of the movies, but looking back with an objective eye, Mewtwo Strikes Back and Spell of the Unown aren't really up there.

As for the animation, Pokemon the Movie Black and White are incredible in that regard; particularly the opening credits battles, which are just on a totally different level to what we've seen before.

As for Destiny Deoxys, it was much better than I remembered it. The CGI is hilariously awful, and the music is really pretty bad (apart from Deoxys' little tubular bells motif- that's really nice), but Watch Da Birdie nails it talking about the sense of tension and dread; that scene with the Deoxys tentacles coming through the air vents probably traumatised a generation of kids. Only the Groudon bits of Jirachi Wishmaker and the tree bits of Lucario and the Mystery of Mew come close.

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew is still just on a totally different level to the rest of the movies, though; backstory, scale, emotion, action, the lot.

How can you say that? D:
8ffki.gif

We can't be friends anymore!

:p

Haven't watched BW movies yet, but I will take your word for it.

Firestorm

I should probabaly update on Sunday!

I got some really terrible matchups. About 50 - 60 people showed up in the Masters Division (ages 16+). In R2 I had to play the heavy favourite to win the whole thing (and he ended up doing so just as we predicted). Then R4 and R5 I had to play two other people from my group of friends who were there - both very good players (hell, smogon ex-admins too) and who knew my entire team. Won R4 (vs Articuno64), then at R5 (vs skarm) we realized we were on Table 3 which meant we were in the running for Top 4 if whoever won that match won Game 6. I lost but then he ended up losing Game 6 to ANOTHER friend of mine. I ended up going 3-3 and made some really stupid moves in Game 6. Ended up 20th. If I won Game 6 I would probably have been 11th with a 4-2 record =/

All in all though it was an awesome event and I had a lot of fun as I do at any VGC event. A friend wrote up a warstory with pictures of us at the event which you can read over on Smogon: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3465262

She used Dewgong which is awesome so I think that means you should read it. Oh and my team:

115.png
473.png
237.png
199.png
423-east.png
639.png

The last three were used basically every round. Togekiss was for Amoonguss which I did not see at the tournament this time. Kangaskhan and Hitmontop were the leads I picked based on what I saw in Team Preview to help Slowking set up Trick Room. After TR is set up, Slowking and Gastrodon wreck shit with Slowking boosting Gastrodon with Surf.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I thought the song was cool, but as someone who FRICKING LOVED POKEMON BATTLES, the whole "don't fight" thing just was the biggest slap in the face.

If anything I may have cried when Ash died, but I can't remember. Probably not. It was kinda sad though.

I don't even remember thinking about that particular scene when I was younger. My most recent memories of watching the movie is with other people, mocking the silliness of the movie at times (Minnesota/Pidgeotto/Alakazam/brooother/no lessons learned/etc.)

Anyway, my favorite is Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, for reasons that may or may not be clear to those who have watched the movies up to that point, and even after.

I've seen every movie, and I've at least sort of liked all of them (with special mention going to Arceus and the Jewel of Life; Arceus' voice was epic) except for Pokémon Heroes, and maybe Jirachi: Wishmaker (which does admittedly have one of the best mini movies).

Boogiepop

When are Pokémon Adventures Volumes 15 to 29 getting reprinted?
http://viz.com/product?id=9346

It looks like they're holding back on the Advanced Generation for now, which really sucks. That's actually at least 50% of why I want R/S remakes, as that'd probably be the thing to prompt Viz to get started again.

Oh, and as for the worst movie, it was hands down the Zoroark movie for me. I mean, they could've at least given the villain a Garchomp (considering his hair looked like one) instead of having him try to be menacing with a Shuppet or whatever. And what crime exactly was he arrested for anyway? Attempted flower killing? Ugh.

I'll give Lucario the best and Jirachi the worst as far as the movies i've seen.

Anyone find that the anime or movies gives you greater liking or dislike for certain pokemon? the sprites and pokedex info can only tell so much (and sometimes I see the sprites incorrectly, like how long it took me to notice the actual position of Armaldo's eyes back in the day).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
On the subject of the movies, internet reviewers Suede, Linkara and JewWario are looking at all 14 Pokemon movies. So far they've only talked about the first.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/suede/animenia/34756-animenia-pokemon-the-first-movie

Last movies I saw were the first three D/P ones (I haven't seen Zoroark and from what it sounds like I'm not missing much). Strange how Dialga and Palkia have kaiju monster sounds. Also, I don't care what the dub says that's not how I pronounce Arceus.

On the subject of the movies, internet reviewers Suede, Linkara and JewWario are looking at all 14 Pokemon movies. So far they've only talked about the first.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/suede/animenia/34756-animenia-pokemon-the-first-movie

Last movies I saw were the first three D/P ones (I haven't seen Zoroark and from what it sounds like I'm not missing much). Strange how Dialga and Palkia have kaiju monster sounds. Also, I don't care what the dub says that's not how I pronounce Arceus.

are-SEE-uss

ray-QWAH-zuh

DYE-ahl-guh

KAI-ogre

GROW-don

I don't care what the movies say, this is how I will always pronounce these names.

are-SEE-uss

ray-QWAH-zuh

DYE-ahl-guh

KAI-ogre

GROW-don

I don't care what the movies say, this is how I will always pronounce these names.
This is pretty much how I pronounce these. Except for Dialga, which I pronounce dee-al-guh (almost the same as J pronunciation) and Groudon (saying *grou* like [growl]).

Even now, I sorta get why Rayquaza is pronounced like it is (quasar -> quaza), but it's still weird to me.

This is pretty much how I pronounce these. Except for Dialga, which I pronounce dee-al-guh (almost the same as J pronunciation) and Groudon (saying *grou* like [growl]).

Even now, I sorta get why Rayquaza is pronounced like it is (quasar -> quaza), but it's still weird to me.

Yeah, that's actually how I pronounce Groudon, I just blanked on how to phonetically write it..

I always thought that Rayquaza was based off of Quetzlcoatl, but w/e.

Top Bottom