• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

This is one pronunciation that fans want that I never understood. Are-key-uss sounds way better than are-see-uss which sounds like you are saying arse.

It just makes more sense to me. Up until the movie was released, I (and apparently quite a few others) pronounced it that way, and when the "official" pronounceation was finally revealed, it just felt wrong to me.

It's kind of like the feeling I got while playing Final Fantasy IV DS upon realizing that I'd been pronouncing Cecil and Yang's names wrong for 10 years 0_o

On the subject of the movies, internet reviewers Suede, Linkara and JewWario are looking at all 14 Pokemon movies. So far they've only talked about the first.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/suede/animenia/34756-animenia-pokemon-the-first-movie

Last movies I saw were the first three D/P ones (I haven't seen Zoroark and from what it sounds like I'm not missing much). Strange how Dialga and Palkia have kaiju monster sounds. Also, I don't care what the dub says that's not how I pronounce Arceus.

As is common for that site, the review's much better if you ignore the first 10 minutes of extraneous bullshit.

Nice to see an informed perspective, though, after the Nostalgia Critic's grudging hackjob from a few years back. Reflects my feelings quite well. Shall be following this one, although judging by the rate at which the producer puts out videos, we'll be waiting months for it.

I do NOT like the implication at the end that they think The Power of One is not one of the good ones though. -_-

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It just makes more sense to me. Up until the movie was released, I (and apparently quite a few others) pronounced it that way, and when the "official" pronounceation was finally revealed, it just felt wrong to me.

It's kind of like the feeling I got while playing Final Fantasy IV DS upon realizing that I'd been pronouncing Cecil and Yang's names wrong for 10 years 0_o

Are-see-us was the official pronunciation for a while too, it's what the announcer said in Pokemon Battle Revolution IIRC.

Which brings up an interesting point: does a game (even a spinoff) overrule the anime in deciding these things? In this case, I say it does. :p

Are-see-us was the official pronunciation for a while too, it's what the announcer said in Pokemon Battle Revolution IIRC.

Which brings up an interesting point: does a game (even a spinoff) overrule the anime in deciding these things? In this case, I say it does. :p

Oh, it's E-kans!

I don't even get why it happened. I mean, yeah, 5 years prior we could have merrily blamed 4Kids, but the inconsistency was purely down to TPCI.

I suppose we could just say that Pokémon Battle Revolution doesn't really matter.

This is a perfectly valid view.

OMG Aero

But then in 2009 (two years after Battle Revolution came out) one of the mailbags on Pokemon.com said that the official pronunciation was are-key-uss. Are-see-uss was official at one point but it changed and no longer is.
I can't get a direct link to the mailbag since they redesigned the site since then but I specifically remember seeing it and a Google search about it brings up this thread on the Serebii forums where the guy who asked the question posted about it.

Well, giddy on the prospect of finally being able to easily Pokemon DVDs from my local HMV, I bought the Black/White Movie double-pack on a whim.

Good Lord, these movies are gorgeous.

Well, giddy on the prospect of finally being able to easily Pokemon DVDs from my local HMV, I bought the Black/White Movie double-pack on a whim.

Good Lord, these movies are gorgeous.

I love those movies because Scraggy destroys a Hydreigon in one hit, forever immortalizing his family's awesomeness.

I mean... my God.

The character animations. The opening battle sequences. The pop-up book. The lighting. The flashbacks. The battle between the dragons. The flying castle.

Not sure about being my favourites, but these movies are visually stunning.

And, considering the horrors of the Deoxys movie, the music is wonderful.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gen 4/5 anime was meant to be seen in HD. Imagine how mindblowing it would be if they put Blu-rays out.

Some day... some day...
I still wouldn't buy them. :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
My favorite part of the Lucario Movie was definitely the Regi Trio.

Loved how things were going smoothly and then, WHAM, Regirock jumps out of nowhere and blows up the gang's truck. Then you have the "scare" scene where Registeel suddenly crushes that camera thing, and when Ash is running up that cliff and Regice zooms past the camera.

Cool voices too

OMG Aero

They're bringing out Blurays over here.

Of Pokemon 4Ever/ Pokemon Heroes.

No, me neither.
Yeah what's up with that?
If they put Black/White on a Blu-Ray I'd be on that like a shot. Hell, if they put pretty much any of the movies except those two on an Blu-Ray I'd probably get it.

Cheska

I've always had a weak spot for the movies, Pokemon: The First movie especially. Not going to lie, it brought tears to my teenager eyes :(

PS_GUY

Posted this in the other Pokemon thread but thought it's worth a mention here too.

http://pokemonblackandwhite.net/unova_region_map.html

There's a freaking airplane in Mistralton City now! You can clearly see the difference in the two maps.

Wonder if it'll be functional? I read that someone from Gamefreaks confirmed traveling to Hoenn is not happening. But how about flying to a new set of islands similar to the Sevii islands in FireRed/LeafGreen? I seriously cannot wait for these games to come out!

Man, it wasn't until today that it quite struck me precisely how sidelined Team Rocket have been in Best Wishes.

Today's appearance by them is their first one for 15 episodes!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Man, it wasn't until today that it quite struck me precisely how sidelined Team Rocket have been in Best Wishes.

Today's appearance by them is their first one for 15 episodes!

I actually like that their role has been reduced. They seem more like a threat when they do show up and episodes without them allow time for important things like "character development" or "training".

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't know about them being a "threat"...like in the Kami Trio episode they just popped up in a helicopter, Ash attacked in, and they were like "oh fuck!" and flew away. :/

I don't know about them being a "threat"...like in the Kami Trio episode they just popped up in a helicopter, Ash attacked in, and they were like "oh fuck!" and flew away. :/

The same goes for today's, when their helicopter base was blown the fuck up by a Tirtouga.

They've been more threatening than they were, for certain, but they haven't quite hit the heights of the Subway episodes again.

Younicorn

Neo Member
Does anyone know if a PAL/English cart is considered foreign to a US cartridge?

I'm trying to Masuda Method a few shinies, and I have an offer from someone who's using a PAL cart - would this be considered a foreign Pokemon to my cart? Would it work for the Masuda Method?

Gravijah

Does anyone know if a PAL/English cart is considered foreign to a US cartridge?

I'm trying to Masuda Method a few shinies, and I have an offer from someone who's using a PAL cart - would this be considered a foreign Pokemon to my cart? Would it work for the Masuda Method?

i want to say that if it's the same language, it would not be considered foreign. i'm pretty sure it needs to be another language...

OMG Aero

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Masuda method goes by the actual language, not region.
So Australia, England and America are classed as the same by the Masuda method, but Germany and England aren't even though they are both PAL.

My favorite part of the Lucario Movie was definitely the Regi Trio.

Loved how things were going smoothly and then, WHAM, Regirock jumps out of nowhere and blows up the gang's truck. Then you have the "scare" scene where Registeel suddenly crushes that camera thing, and when Ash is running up that cliff and Regice zooms past the camera.

Cool voices too

This reminds me of one of the things I love about the Lucario movie; how great a job it does of making its third act feel as fucked up as humanly possible. You've got the trainers being swiftly eaten by the amorphous blobs, the sheer panic, the discordant music the Regis have got going on, the voices that sound like Rubber Johnny got a dubstep remix, the fact that the situation's only resolved because Mew decides to stop being a lazy bugger, the fact that Lucario straight-up dies... it's certainly the movie that's most committed to fucking up the dreams of all the kids watching.

This reminds me of one of the things I love about the Lucario movie; how great a job it does of making its third act feel as fucked up as humanly possible. You've got the trainers being swiftly eaten by the amorphous blobs, the sheer panic, the discordant music the Regis have got going on, the voices that sound like Rubber Johnny got a dubstep remix, the fact that the situation's only resolved because Mew decides to stop being a lazy bugger, the fact that Lucario straight-up dies... it's certainly the movie that's most committed to fucking up the dreams of all the kids watching.

The voices of the Regis terrify me. I'll forever have "REEEEGIROCK-OCK-OCK" burned into the soundtrack of my nightmares. The last act of Lucario and the Mystery of the Mew was a lot better than say, the last act of the Zoroark movie where the villain basically just shook Celebi around shouting "LOOK HOW EVUL I AM, GUYZ!"

The Regis were much more subtle villains, which made them more menacing and creepy. I also love the sound effect used for the flashing of their eyes. Eerie stuff.

Apparently, the "New Pokémon Announcement" hinted at in Coro Coro and the plushes probably comes from the Meloetta Short, rather than the main movie itself. This probably rules out Genesect.

The big question is; what the fuck is it? They've already revealed Meloetta's Pirouette Forme, so it's not that. It's either another Meloetta forme, or... something else.

Apparently, the "New Pokémon Announcement" hinted at in Coro Coro and the plushes probably comes from the Meloetta Short, rather than the main movie itself. This probably rules out Genesect.

The big question is; what the fuck is it? They've already revealed Meloetta's Pirouette Forme, so it's not that. It's either another Meloetta forme, or... something else.

If it's going to be in the anime, it could be a new Pokemon. They've shown new Pokemon in the anime shorts before.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Anybody else read the Pokemon Adventures manga?

Yes, I own them all, except for 15-29 (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald ARCS), which have yet to be friken reprinted by VizMedia!

I sent them an e-mail, hopefully they respond, and get to it soon.

Poyunch

w0rYn.gif
Vzalo.gif

BPPk0.gif
ImfZX.gif

xjSGB.gif
Wml10.gif

Top Bottom