• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Thores

Street Fighter team!

Blaziken: Ken
Lucario: Ryu (Aura Sphere is called "Hadoden" in Japanese. Coincidence? I think NOT!)
Hitmonchan: Balrog (boxer with red gloves and shorts/tunic combination)
Throh: Zangief (mostly throwing and grappling moves, also has crazy eyebrows and is associated with the colour red)
Alakazam: M. Bison (characters who use psychokinetic energy and were incredibly overpowered in the first game that they appeared in)
Ditto: Twelve (main form of attack is copying the moves of others)

This is awesome. We should do more.

Accelgor : Guy (stoic ninja type)
Gardevoir : Rose (looks fancy, can see into the future)
Medicham : Juri (mostly kick-based fighting style with some energy attacks)
Cody : Gurdurr (urban, steel beam is kind of like a pipe)
Lopunny : Poison (that could be a dude, we don't know)
Sudowoodo : Seth (artificial, can watch opponent's moves and copy them)
Guile : Lt. Surge

Accelgor : Guy (stoic ninja type)
Gardevoir : Rose (looks fancy, can see into the future)
Medicham : Juri (mostly kick-based fighting style with some energy attacks)
Cody : Gurdurr (urban, steel beam is kind of like a pipe)
Lopunny : Poison (that could be a dude, we don't know)
Sudowoodo : Seth (artificial, can watch opponent's moves and copy them)
Guile : Lt. Surge

Kyurem: Gil (god-like, lusts for destruction, can use attacks with fire and ice properties, looks absolutely ridiculous in base form)
Braviary: T. Hawk (do I even have to explain this one?)
Mienshao: Fei-Long (uses Asian-style martial arts, proficient in both hand and foot techniques, waaaaaaay oversaturated in metagame)
Scrafty: Birdie (crazy awesome street punk with sweet hair)
Breloom: Necro (stretchy arms and kind dispositions)
Snubbull: Karin (prissy fighters who use somewhat vanilla attacks. Also they have similar "hair")

Electivire: Blanka (Hairy electric beast)
Hariyama: E Honda (because Sumo...yup)
Scyther: Vega (Holding a metal coat for mask purposes, springs around slicing up opponents, handsome? err scratch that one)
Snorlax: Rufus (fat but formidable)
Tangrowth: Dhalsim (well medicham was already taken so stretchy arms is the link here, solarbeam can substitute for Yoga fire, kind of, not really)

Serious

I think I'm going to do a no starter run for White 2. Start off with Oshawott, but looking through the pokemon that are available, I could probably put together a team and drop him eventually. Doesn't hurt that one of my favorite pokemon (Azumarill) is available, and I've wanted to do a runthrough with him for a while. Of course, Azumarill is seriously screwed over by not having Aqua Jet and perfect Attack IVs/EVs, but whatever.

MikeMyers

What do you guys think is the hardest Gym Leader battle in games?

I say Sabrina in Yellow. Maybe it is because I always fight her before Koga, but seriously, a Level 50 Alakazam (Who is broken in RBY) that knows Recover is too strong.

I'm gonna have to say Clair for this one, if only because on all 4 of my playthroughs of Silver/SoulSilver, she gave me too much trouble.

Feraligatr, the starter I choose most often when playing Gen II, has no good moves that can really damage Dragon-types outside of Ice Punch/Beam, but even so it only really works on her two Dragonair. He's also at the disadvantage against Gyarados and Kingdra, struggling to do damage while they smash him into the ground.

Typhlosion has it rough because his STAB attacks do either 1/2 or 1/4 damage to her whole team, and his movepool is too limited for him to learn any truly useful moves.

Meganium; just no.

It doesn't help that she's apparently hacked the game to give all of her moves 100% accuracy. I'm pretty sure that in all of my playthoughs, I've only seen Hydro Pump miss once and I've never seen Fire Blast miss.

The real nail in the coffin is the fact that the only type that can effectively counter her whole team is Dragon itself, and unless you feel like training up a Dratini that you won in Goldenrod, you're pretty much screwed, and even if you do, her team is too fast and strong for it to be of any real use.

I've never really seen anyone else have real trouble with her, so maybe I just suck, but my opinion hasn't changed for over 10 years. If you're in the same boat, please speak up so I know I'm not just crazy.

So guys, how about that RéBURST?

Pretty cool, huh?

hqdefault.jpg

reuburst is like the cdi zelda games

No. RéBURST is like Alien 3. Completely horrible and standing on the opposite side of the quality spectrum as the rest of the series, and yet there are people, these friggin' people who actually like it. Words cannot explain my feelings right now, so here's a gif:

Atmey_Breaks_2.gif

Kokonoe

Banned
We WARNED you. Don't try and say we didn't.

And may Arceus have mercy on your soul.

I usually give everything a chance before I 100% decide what I think about it. I'm skeptical about the WiiU controller, but I'm waiting till I try it myself before anything is confirmed.

This manga however I stopped on page 25. It's cliche to the max and overly absurd randomness. It feels like some kind of serious Bobobo.

I usually give everything a chance before I 100% decide what I think about it. I'm skeptical about the WiiU controller, but I'm waiting till I try it myself before anything is confirmed.

This manga however I stopped on page 25. It's cliche to the max and overly absurd randomness. It feels like some kind of serious Bobobo.

Do you want to know how to lose weight fast? Try the RéBURT diet! Simply look at any one of the pictures on this page, and you'll instantly vomit up everything in your stomach and never want to eat again!

Note to all patrons: please do not repost any pictures in this thread, as there are those of us who wish to continue to enjoy food and life in general. Thank you for your consideration.

Thores

I've been pronouncing it Arse-ee-us. Dunno what the actual correct pronunciation is.

Dr. House pronounced it Ark-ee-us

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm pretty sure ReBurst might become "canon" of sorts, because I'm 99% sure Akuroma's goal is to go Final Fantasy Villain on us and merge with Kyurem.

It already looks like he tried to do it with Articuno for practice.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm pretty sure ReBurst might become "canon" of sorts, because I'm 99% sure Akuroma's goal is to go Final Fantasy Villain on us and merge with Kyurem.

It already looks like he tried to do it with Articuno for practice.

LaGfI.jpg

You've actually read it?!

kurf3.jpg

Burn the witch! Dabbling in satanic media!

MikeMyers

Never read ReBurst.

All I remember about the Pikachu Manga was Jessie, Misty, and her sisters having big busts.

I like the Pokemon Adventure manga

Dariee

What do you guys think is the hardest Gym Leader battle in games?

I say Sabrina in Yellow. Maybe it is because I always fight her before Koga, but seriously, a Level 50 Alakazam (Who is broken in RBY) that knows Recover is too strong.
A gymleader far before the end with a level 50 Pokémon? Those were the days!

Lol, couldn't even remember they were that hard back then due to being used to newer versions now.

LeleSocho

Banned
What is that one pokémon manga where the main character had a microphone who can make him talk to pokémons? i remember enjoying a lot when i was a kid.

Masked Man

I said wow
Does anyone happen to have a female Dream World Gligar that they wouldn't mind parting ways with? I've been searching for the past few days on the DW myself but no dice. :( I have Japanese Pokeymans which may or may not tempt you!

Top Bottom