• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I've been considering Excadrill, but I was aiming for something that could easily switch to water/ice attacks to support Garchomp/Tyranitar. Excadrill is fast, but without good team coverage you can easily lose a match in Battle Subway.

Unfortunately you're kind of euchered, then. Very few Pokémon who benefit enough from Sandstorm to warrant a spot on a top-tier subway team are able to safely switch into both Water and Ice. The closest you'll probably get is Magnezone, who doesn't really benefit from Sandstorm aside from not taking damage from it.

If you're looking for some Pokemon fan art, you should check out Yilx' art thread

Her art is out of this world.

EX:

Heck yeah! I like these.

e9pqH.jpg

nhtdq.jpg

opjrj.jpg

Zeroth

Unfortunately you're kind of euchered, then. Very few Pokémon who benefit enough from Sandstorm to warrant a spot on a top-tier subway team are able to safely switch into both Water and Ice. The closest you'll probably get is Magnezone, who doesn't really benefit from Sandstorm aside from not taking damage from it.

As long at least 2 pokemon in my team get bonuses from Sandstorm, I'm happy. Sandstorm in particular is a weather where you don't really need to focus in making all your pokemons get bonuses from it, as it also helps weakening your foes. The same couldn't be said about Rain or Sun, as those have limited effect on the foes aside from weakening certain types, and as such you need to make sure to use all of it.

But yeah, Magnezone is one I've been leaning towards for some time now. I was considering using Claydol, but I think Magnezone has a better offensive coverage (except for a weakness to ground that is troublesome to my team).

As long at least 2 pokemon in my team get bonuses from Sandstorm, I'm happy. Sandstorm in particular is a weather where you don't really need to focus in making all your pokemons get bonuses from it, as it also helps weakening your foes. The same couldn't be said about Rain or Sun, as those have limited effect on the foes aside from weakening certain types, and as such you need to make sure to use all of it.

But yeah, Magnezone is one I've been leaning towards for some time now. I was considering using Claydol, but I think Magnezone has a better offensive coverage (except for a weakness to ground that is troublesome to my team).

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I can see the logic in your thinking.

As for Magnezone, give it an Air Balloon and Substitute.

I'm not sure what a Kelado is. Maybe you mean Kelados? In that case, I suspect Kelados could win by virtue of its 1/3-Flying type. Despite learning next to no Flying-type moves.

Haha. Poor MikeMyers. You're not going to let him live down his misspellings, are you?

Neki

I would recommend:

Metagross or Lucario (Physical sweepers)/ Hydreigon (Special attacker) / Jellicent (Bold and EV trained in DEF to be a mixed wall).

Perfect coverage, awesome team. I find Agiligross more efficient than SD Lucario, but Lucario has many priorities moves to make up for its lower defenses.

With metagross on my team I've got to about 35 straight victories. I'm planning to make a Sandstorm team soon with Tyranitar / Garchomp / ???? (Still thinking about that one :p)

I think I'll use Salamence as my special sweeper, and I was thinking of either a Rotom-W or a Vaporeon as my wall (already ev-trained and bold). Only problem I have is I hate breeding pokemon that need a specific hidden power, I burned myself out trying to breed a Kingdra with Hidden Power Electric during Platinum so I'd rather not do that again, lol. So I'll probably run Scizor/Salamence/Vaporeon. Not sure if I should run Toxic or Ice Beam on Vaporeon though.

If you guys are wondering what good trainers use, Wolfe wrote an article about the team he used to get 2nd at the World Championships last weekend:
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/eggscelent-execution/

Yes. That pun in the title means he used what you think he used.

Awesome team! I've always liked Exeggutor, but I'd never think to use it the way he did.

Also:
The entire team was RNG’d shiny in order to take advantage of the timer. Those extra three seconds came in handy when I won a game on one second.
What is this about? Does this mean he used shinies because their animations would take up (edit)less(/derp) more time? I've never thought about something like that...

Firestorm

So they'd take up more time. Also never actually thought about that but with the team he was using, I guess he was usually in a more advantageous position at the time limit. With high level matches they often do seem to hit the time limit due to the defensive style of play.

So they'd take up more time. Also never actually thought about that but with the team he was using, I guess he was usually in a more advantageous position at the time limit. With high level matches they often do seem to hit the time limit due to the defensive style of play.

Okay, yeah, more time makes a lot more sense. I can't believe he said it even helped him win a match!

PK Gaming

If you guys are wondering what good trainers use, Wolfe wrote an article about the team he used to get 2nd at the World Championships last weekend:
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/eggscelent-execution/

Yes. That pun in the title means he used what you think he used.

I really like his team. I'm not too savvy on VGC (I plan on changing that very soon!) but I can appreciate the unique sets + golden oldies (<3 Terrakion & Thundurus)

If there is one thing I hope you will take away from this, it is that you do not need to run standard to do well. Often times having a creative ace in the hole allowed me to fight my way out of losing situations.

This is sooooooooooooooooooooo true.

The entire team was RNG&#8217;d shiny in order to take advantage of the timer. Those extra three seconds came in handy when I won a game on one second.

Neki

Zeroth spent like two hours trying to teach me how to RNG pokemon, I feel sorry for him, LOL. I'm so difficult to work with.

Neki

Well he couldn't teach me all of it so I'm back to breeding Gibles to use in the Battle Subway, doing it the old fashioned way.

Top Bottom