• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Sora_N

In Nintendo's email today it say something about new stuff for Pokedex 3D next week?

-Unlocks 6 pokemon that used AR markers before
-Spotpass

I already have almost all of the Pokemon already though.

Wichu

My issue with Sand Stream/Drizzle/Drought is that they last until something replaces them. They should be just like Sandstorm/Rain Dance/Sunny Day--5 turns only.

Agreed completely. Or maybe even something stricter than that. I'd go for 'when the Pokémon with the ability is no longer active, the weather stops 3 turns later'.

Agreed completely. Or maybe even something stricter than that. I'd go for 'when the Pokémon with the ability is no longer active, the weather stops 3 turns later'.
I almost want to go so far as to say 'when the Pokémon with the ability is no longer active, the weather stops'.

I wouldn't mind a nerf to weather inducers, but a bettewr option IMO would be to give some good Pokémon a weather cancelling ability.

That's good too. Rayquaza is currently the only one with Air Lock, so maybe Gen VI could pass it (or something similar) around to a few more Pokémon.

MikeMyers

That's good too. Rayquaza is currently the only one with Air Lock, so maybe Gen VI could pass it (or something similar) around to a few more Pokémon.

Golduck gets Cloud Nine to block Weather.

Golduck should get another evolution that makes him strong so he can be the ultimate weather destroyer.

Golduck gets Cloud Nine to block Weather.

Golduck should get another evolution that makes him strong so he can be the ultimate weather destroyer.

Forgot about that! Lickitung/Lickilicky and Swablu/Altaria have it as Dream World abilities too. So there we go; Rayquaza can keep its signature ability. Next Gen needs lots of good Cloud Nine Pokémon.

OMG Aero

If weather abilities continue to be permanent until another type of weather is created then at the very least weather cancelling abilities should straight up remove the weather, not just block effects while that Pokemon is alive.

Firestorm

Weather really isn't that terrible... I think rain should be more on the level of the other weather inducers because water just has such a ridiculous pool of good Pokemon, abilities, and attacks that it makes sun look like nothing. It's kind of stupid to bitch about how "unbalanced" weather is while playing a metagame with user-created rules like Smogon or Pokemon Online's Singles OU. That's not what the game is balanced for.

OMG Aero

Weather really isn't that terrible... I think rain should be more on the level of the other weather inducers because water just has such a ridiculous pool of good Pokemon, abilities, and attacks that it makes sun look like nothing. It's kind of stupid to bitch about how "unbalanced" weather is while playing a metagame with user-created rules like Smogon or Pokemon Online's Singles OU. That's not what the game is balanced for.
I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything. Even if you take away user rules like evasion clause, tiers and banned Pokemon weather abilities still vastly overpowered. The only real way to counter infinite weather is through a weather blocking ability which 4 Pokemon lines have and once they are out of battle their effect is gone (unlike the weather abilities) or to use weather yourself.
So, surprise surprise.

I wonder if this means we'll get a WiFi
Mew-------
:D
Suck it everyone in this thread who wanted a t-shirt.

Firestorm

I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything. Even if you take away user rules like evasion clause, tiers and banned Pokemon weather abilities still vastly overpowered. The only real way to counter infinite weather is through a weather blocking ability which 4 Pokemon lines have and once they are out of battle their effect is gone (unlike the weather abilities) or to use weather yourself.
I am saying that when you watch the finals of the World Championships you'll see that neither is using weather as the crux of their team. These are who I (and just about anyone else who follows the game) would consider the two best players in the world. They had ways of dealing with weather. They had ways of taking advantage of weather. They had ways of setting weather to either benefit themselves and/or remove a weather's benefits from their opponent. However, they did not use weather-based teams.

In any case, the only one that could be considered "overpowered" is Drizzle which is at least given to a Pokemon that's completely unremarkable. Snow Warning is nice to remove weather and for 100% accurate Blizzards but doesn't do much beyond that. Sandstream is great for Tyranitar itself but aside from Garchomp and maybe Excadrill most of the other viable Pokemon can't make much use of it. Nice for residual damage like hail though. Drought is on a terrible Pokemon and can barely be used by anyone viable unfortunately which I think should be changed. Sun is still the worst weather by far =/

My way of dealing with weather was really not giving too much of a damn about it this year. Hail and Sand didn't affect me. Sun could weaken me a little as water was my main offensive type but sun teams are terrible for the most part. Rain powered me up so I didn't mind usually.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'll probably be trying it too. Im getting into the card game again. Just bought two Terrakion EX on eBay for $32 shipped :(

I haven't purchased or played cards competitively since before the Diamond and Pearl cards came out, so I've been utilizing this to see if the "new style" of Pokemon cards is for me or not. I think I can get back into it again, just I prefer the previous style.

I'm hoping the sound files for this will be easily accessible, because if so, I plan on modding the sound files to the Gameboy TCG game for music and sound effects.

MikeMyers

Once a day. Or technically, three a day.

That's awesome, thanks dude. I was looking for a place to train and this is perfect for it. I'm currently sweeping Volkner with my Garchomp.

I was trying Battle Frontier earlier with Infernape, Gyarados, and Garchomp (Starmie weak!), and damn Infernape is so fragile. A Quick Attack from Raticate almost took him out.

PK Gaming

I'm kind of indifferent on weather as a whole tbh. Have any of you tried anti-weather teams? I friend of mine lent me a Genesect / Dragonite / Haxorus / Salamence / Gothitelle / Mamoswine team, and its been doing well. Basically, Specs Gothitelle removes walls with Shadow Tag, and the Dragons sweep. Haxorus usually causes a 1 - 1 trade once that happens, and Dragonite / Genesect basically handle the rest until lategame, where Mence does the sweeping. Moxie Mence is sooo good haha.

So, surprise surprise.

I wonder if this means we'll get a WiFi
Mew-------
:D

Yeaaahh that's what i'm talking about. Hopefully it gets something cool like Psytrike.

In any case, the only one that could be considered "overpowered" is Drizzle which is at least given to a Pokemon that's completely unremarkable. Snow Warning is nice to remove weather and for 100% accurate Blizzards but doesn't do much beyond that. Sandstream is great for Tyranitar itself but aside from Garchomp and maybe Excadrill most of the other viable Pokemon can't make much use of it. Nice for residual damage like hail though. Drought is on a terrible Pokemon and can barely be used by anyone viable unfortunately which I think should be changed. Sun is still the worst weather by far =/

Actually Hail is the worst weather, by far. Until Hail boosts ice types in some way (defense boost go go go) or they get more hail abusers it will always be a niche option at best (I'm talking about OU... I guess it could see some use in VGC because Blizzard is amazing there?). Abomasnow itself is kind of meh (not ninetales meh, but not that impressive either) Sun is actually pretty strong now (even stronger now since the Genesect + Dugtrio combo is AMAZING at dealing with things that sun hates).

Boogiepop

Oh wow. Apparently
the female pokemon now has an 80% chance of passing down ability in B2/W2
if Serebii is to be believed. Neat. (Minor B2/W2 mechanics spoilers).

MikeMyers

Moxie Mence is sooo good haha.

I know! After the Steels go down, Mence sweeps. Steels are pretty easy to get rid of since I have Magenezone (and Gyarados for Heatran). Salamence/Gyarados + Magenzone resist every single attack in the game too. Awesome.

Actually Hail is the worst weather, by far. Until Hail boosts ice types in some way (defense boost go go go) or they get more hail abusers it will always be a niche option at best (I'm talking about OU... I guess it could see some use in VGC because Blizzard is amazing there?). Abomasnow itself is kind of meh (not ninetales meh, but not that impressive either) Sun is actually pretty strong now (even stronger now since the Genesect + Dugtrio combo is AMAZING at dealing with things that sun hates).

Yeah Ambomasnow is awesome but not that great at competitive play. Also you forgot Venusaur now gets Giga Drain which makes him even stronger on Sun Teams.

I didn't realize Mew was that popular, and by popular I mean beloved.

I never understood the appeal of him honesty, always liked Mewtwo better.

MikeMyers

Is it possible to transfer Items from Leaf Green to Platinum? Like if I attach a TM to be held by my Pokemon, and then migrate it over...does it work?

Firestorm

Hail's pretty great. Like I said, OU is kind of a stupid metagame to judge balance on because it's not what the game is built for in multiplayer. It's great for single-player which is meant to be easy for six year olds to understand (although personally I think Game Freak gives too little credit to those kids), but it's not what the game itself is balanced for. There's a reason Singles / Triples / Rotation tournaments aren't allowed to be sanctioned events and are listed as "unsanctioned fun formats" in the official rulebook.

Hail, 9th place at Worlds 2012. In the running for coolest team at the tournament alongside Wolfe I think.

PK Gaming

Hail's pretty great. Like I said, OU is kind of a stupid metagame to judge balance on because it's not what the game is built for in multiplayer. It's great for single-player which is meant to be easy for six year olds to understand (although personally I think Game Freak gives too little credit to those kids), but it's not what the game itself is balanced for. There's a reason Singles / Triples / Rotation tournaments aren't allowed to be sanctioned events and are listed as "unsanctioned fun formats" in the official rulebook.

Hail, 9th place at Worlds 2012. In the running for coolest team at the tournament alongside Wolfe I think.

lol.

I'm trying out Sand Rush Sandslash. It's like an Excadrill lite, its nowhere near as potent but its a fun Pokemon to use. I wish it were a little faster though, this thing is outsped by virtually every scarfer if it runs adamant and even if it runs jolly, its outsped by scarf terrakion.

D-Pad

Nope.

The way you guys talk, Pokemon never had good music before BW2. That's bollocks, frankly.

Better music > good music. ;P

Masuda has his ups, I'm not denying that... But this soundtrack has me wondering if the other guys are being held back by Masuda. Maybe it's time for Masuda to pull a Koji Kondo.

Top Bottom