• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Direct announced for February 26th, is 5 minutes long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

People are setting themselves for a hardcore disappointment if they think a new Pokémon game is getting announced in a 5 minute direct when it also needs to discuss R/B/Y VC and Pokken Tournament. Maybe we'll get an amiibo announcement, but not a game.
ORAS got 30 seconds.
Pokémon's twitter is saying that big pokemon news is coming. It's happening!
Yeah, its obviously going to be a new game.

trugs26

Why do people want "Z" so much? Like-wise, last gen with "grey" version. They're such a waste of time. Sure it makes them money, but from a consumer standpoint, who cares? I'm glad they decided to not make Grey version and instead move on to B/W 2. They should do that again. Making a third version is so insignificant and not worthy of a Direct focused around it.

Crayolan

People are setting themselves for a hardcore disappointment if they think a new Pokémon game is getting announced in a 5 minute direct when it also needs to discuss R/B/Y VC and Pokken Tournament. Maybe we'll get an amiibo announcement, but not a game.

You're overly pessimistic if you think they're not announcing a new game in this direct. They don't do directs if they don't have something new to announce. And they wouldn't go out of their way to do a direct on the moment of the anniversary if it wasn't for something special.

RK128

So.....Pokemon Z, Pokken and information on other Anniversary news? Sounds great :D! Looking forward to this one :).

JoeM86

What?

Why do they "need" to discuss those games here?

Why do they 'need' to discuss those games? R/B/Y are out in 3 days time, and Pokken has had it's character reveals and release date set. There's no need to cover them again.

You're overly pessimistic if you think they're not announcing a new game in this direct. They don't do directs if they don't have something new to announce. And they wouldn't go out of their way to do a direct on the moment of the anniversary if it wasn't for something special.

Overly pessimistic, or just being (what I consider) realistic?

The frequency with which the Nintendo Direct hype train implodes upon itself is reason enough to not get all worked up expecting something grand. Even hour long directs end up showing barely anything new sometimes. We're not getting a new Pokemon before the fall, and they have E3 to show that off. Right now they have a few Pokemon games coming much sooner to remind people of, and the direct is only 5 minutes.

If, and that's a big if, we get a new mainline Pokemon announcement, it's going to be barely shown at all. I think its more reasonable to expect a Pokémon Go announcement.

EDIT: People keep asking why they "need" to discuss Pokémon VC and Pokken. Have you ever seen a Nintendo Direct? They remind you and regurgitate info all the time, especially about impending releases.

Galang

Banned
Why would they have a direct for just VC games? And announce it in advance?! It's definitely Z or another new game

Also they've done short announcements for Pokemon before. I get people are overly cautious with Nintendo, but this isn't one of those times to be

Why do people want "Z" so much? Like-wise, last gen with "grey" version. They're such a waste of time. Sure it makes them money, but from a consumer standpoint, who cares? I'm glad they decided to not make Grey version and instead move on to B/W 2. They should do that again. Making a third version is so insignificant and not worthy of a Direct focused around it.

Even if it's not a completely new game, people are excited for the return of the battle frontier, new Megas to play with and whatever other features they might add. Pokemon has its own metagame and competitive scene, so Z will hopefully shake things up a bit now that ORAS has gotten stale.

NeonZ

Z is just a cooler title than X2/Y2 and it's already used in marketing thanks to the anime. It doesn't matter what's called anyway. It can still be closer to B2/W2 than to Platinum or Emerald.

With this being so short and Pokemon focused only it makes me wonder if it's part of the changes Nintendo was supposed to make to the format this year. Are we going to see maybe more Directs but shorter and focused solely on specific franchises/games/consoles?

Otaku Coder

Neo Member
Here's how I can see it unfolding:

0:00 - 1:00: Happy 20th anniversary, Pokemon! *with montages*
1:00 - 4:00: Reveal trailer for new game (most likely Z)
4:00 - 5:00: Don't forget that RBY are out on 3DS tomorrow! Bye!

HYPE MODE ENGAGE!!!
T8QhVyi.gif

Since it's 5 minutes I bet it opens with a quick thing telling us about the Pokemon VC games being available, maybe a quick thing on Pokken and then the Direct closes with the trailer for the final Gen VI game. If Pokken isn't part of the Direct then they might have a bit of talk after the trailer for the new game.

With this being so short and Pokemon focused only it makes me wonder if it's part of the changes Nintendo was supposed to make to the format this year. Are we going to see maybe more Directs but shorter and focused solely on specific franchises/games/consoles?
As people said before, the XY announcement Direct was only 11 minutes and the first 7 and a half were just a retrospective on the franchise.

Sandfox

The frequency with which the Nintendo Direct hype train implodes upon itself is reason enough to not get all worked up expecting something grand. Even hour long directs end up showing barely anything new sometimes. We're not getting a new Pokemon before the fall, and they have E3 to show that off. Right now they have a few Pokemon games coming much sooner to remind people of, and the direct is only 5 minutes.

If, and that's a big if, we get a new mainline Pokemon announcement, it's going to be barely shown at all. I think its more reasonable to expect a Pokémon Go announcement.

Nintendo/TPC has never revealed a Pokemon game at E3 and Pokemon Go info is going to be revealed at GDC. It makes sense to reveal this year's game on the 20th anniversary.

JoeM86

EDIT: People keep asking why they "need" to discuss Pokémon VC and Pokken. Have you ever seen a Nintendo Direct? They remind you and regurgitate info all the time, especially about impending releases.

They wouldn't host a special Direct just to regurgitate info.

There's being "realistic", and then there's being ridiculous. You're more towards the latter right now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Looking forward to it! I skipped ORAS, but loved XY. Looking forward to what this is.

Nintendo/TPC has never revealed a Pokemon game at E3 and Pokemon Go info is going to be revealed at GDC. It makes sense to reveal this year's game on the 20th anniversary.

I know they haven't before, but this year is pretty different. NX is incoming and I feel like big Pokemon news has been silent because it'll be involved with NX in some way.

I just think people are expecting too much, and very rarely does a Direct deliver on what people want. I'm gonna bounce from this thread and come back after the direct either with "I told you so's" that will fall on deaf ears, or a big plate of crow.

Kikorin

New pokémon game pls!

Only 5 min, but they said on facebook "big news" so I really hope it will not be only Pokkén and R/B/Y. These ones aren't even "news"

JoeM86

I know they haven't before, but this year is pretty different. NX is incoming and I feel like big Pokemon news has been silent because it'll be involved with NX in some way.

I just think people are expecting too much, and very rarely does a Direct deliver on what people want. I'm gonna bounce from this thread and come back after the direct either with "I told you so's" that will fall on deaf ears, or a big plate of crow.

Pokémon news has been silent because we've had a gap year. We always have a gap year.

You're being way to pessimistic here, to the point of insanity. They wouldn't host a special Direct just to reveal new stuff on what is coming out soon when we know most of what Pokkén has to offer and GO is a mobile title.

Crayolan

The 3rd versions of the games are always the best versions, so I would think most core fans of the series don't want the best games in the series to suddenly stop being made.

Though, I don't think many people are opposed to them doing an X2/Y2 like in gen 5, when people say "Z" they just mean "whatever the next gen 6 game is."

Every Nintendo Direct has at least one new game announcement. This direct will be that announcement without the other 30 minutes of fluff.

And I don't know why you would think not getting a game till the fall means they can't announce it now. They announced XY in January and that released in October. And they pretty much never reveal new games at E3, ORAS was announced in a random trailer on youtube in May, and XY was announced in a direct just like this one. The direct was only 11 minutes, and the actual trailer portion made up less than a quarter of it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

You do realize that the last Pokemon Direct delivered right

dity

I'll happily eat a maccaroni hat if it does turn out to be a new game.

Zalman

After the initial hype rush, here are my two cents: I think it'll be the third Kalos game for the 3DS, but I don't think it's going to be a traditional "third version". They'll change things up more, similar to (if not more than) BW2.

Z is the obvious name, but maybe it's too obvious. Masuda once said they decided against Pokémon Grey because they wanted to surprise people. It could be Z based on where the rest of the Pokémon marketing is headed, but it could also be something different. Either way they will essentially be what most people imagine Z to be: The final Kalos game.

Lol I love how most people went from "HYPE!!!.....only 5 minutes?!?!?!.....I DONT CARE HYPEEEE!!!!!!" within seconds :)

Pokken is granted and I guess Pokemon Rainbow (Z) should be there too maybe a short remark that R,B,Y are out...

Sadist

More importantly, this Nintendo Direct is a worldwide thing.

Rule of thumb: if the Direct is scheduled for three regions, there is one big announcement in there.

gosox333

I mean all the mainline games since...Platinum I think have been revealed in the first half of the year like this, with most of those announcements happening by the end of March

We're smack dab in the middle of 'new game reveal season', it's the 20th anniversary of the series, and we're obviously overdue for some kind of new mainline installment.

I'll eat so much crow if I'm wrong, but there's just a lot of things piling up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom