• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 2| Servers...gotta crash 'em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a great explanation but holy cow that's also a lot of walking. You also have to act quickly since the 'mon could despawn at any moment and all of that walking for nothing could get annoying pretty quickly. Especially when you are in a hurry going to school/work and you just want to catch that new Pokemon but you can't since you have to do all that "dancing". Why can't they just add a track like on the original trailer indicating how many meters left you are from the Pokémon so we can go just straight to that point and move on?

To be fair I think the real 'tracking' which isn't enabled for the rest of us yet will negate any need for the triangulation that people are suggesting.

Im going to personally wait until the real tracking comes into play rather than try and triangulate where Pokemon are as in reality that kind of triangulation just wouldn't work unless your City is literally built on a grid

Chaos17

I don't think new tracker is better than the footstpers but it's an improuvement compared to no tracker at all, imo. I hope people will give their feedbacks to Niantics.

RalchAC

Why punish people who are living in appropriately dense communities? That's rude.

Not ban, I chose the wrong word. I mean, not allowing people to submit spots in big cities, since those are usually quite crowded already. That would reduce the amount of tickets quite a bit.

adamy

Banned
They are very rare isn'it? I saw a silhouette of one on sunday while I was walking before the update and I simply didn't bothered on trying to find her because the former nearby feature mess : /
They're about as rare as snorlax where I live

So yeah, pretty rare here

Where was this? Aside from the Charmander (still never seen one) and a ton more Drowzees this is almost exactly the same kind of ratio I'm experiencing.

Dublin, Ireland

Charmander was really random caught it at the end of my walk near my house, never seen one in the area before

AdanVC

To be fair I think the real 'tracking' which isn't enabled for the rest of us yet will negate any need for the triangulation that people are suggesting.

Im going to personally wait until the real tracking comes into play rather than try and triangulate where Pokemon are as in reality that kind of triangulation just wouldn't work unless your City is literally built on a grid

That's true. This sighting feature is still work in progress so we should just wait till it's complete. Hope they add true tracking so everyone can be happy and enjoy the game as it should be.

I do 99% of my PoGo play at work. Today after the update, there seems to be a LOT more Pokemon around me. Even at home this morning, I noticed it. Might still be a sea of Rattata/Meowth/Pidgey/Ekans for me, but I'm not gonna complain about free non-stop XP

I've seen it on my nearby once, and lucked out and hatched a 96% IV one on my first and only 10km egg. Seems to be the main way people get them

nowarning

Just caught a 95.6% IV 1032CP Dragonair, woot! Only ever seen 1 Dratini before and it got away, this will do for now, dread to think how long it will take me to evolve it.

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe this will help someone else with a bizarre bug.

I noticed yesterday that 3 of my Pokemon would freeze the game completely if I opened their pages from my list of pokemon. The animation would play for maybe 0.5 seconds, and everything would freeze. I could try to race and bring up the transfer dialog, but with the laggy GUI I could never transfer it. Android 6 would eventually detect it and I could kill the game. If I just closed it with the X first, restarting Pokemon GO would bring up a solid white screen and I would have to wait to force-kill.

Searching online, it SOUNDS like this might happen to some egg-hatched pokemon. I had a Dewgong (or Seel), Grimer, and Shellder (all in order in my list of pokemon) that all froze my game. The Shellder might have been hatched from an egg.

Anyway, I send a "report high priority issue" message to Niantic, but I doubt that caused a fix on a Monday evening. What did seem to fix it was dropping the Dewgong in a gym. After I did that, I could view and transfer the Grimer and Shellder. Once the gym went down, I could view and release the Dewgong with no issues.

AdanVC

Snorlax is also rare af over here : / A funny thing is that Chansey's silhouette appeared while I was walking near an Hospital heh. I like how some Pokémon truly appears on areas where they should be, water type near lakes or rivers ( I catched a Goldeen and several Magikarps there), Rock/Ground types near factories (Geodude, Sandshrew, Rhyhorn), etc. I guess I should go to a Burger King to catch a Snorlax hah.

Awayze

Neo Member
Got a low CP Pidgey from a 2km egg but I know I walked alot more than 2km. Had a Kingler silhouette showing but the tracker sucks. You can't walk 200m in a straight line especially if there's no foot paths due to roads and multiple buildings.

Now after the update, when I throw my pokeball sometimes it sails about 50 feet over the Pokemon. Would be great for the shotput competition at the Olympics but not here.

And like that, I still wish we had trackers, this new system gives an even bigger edge to those living in urban areas.

I am extremely disappointed in Niantic that they can't solve this game-design problem that would work for everyone, urban areas and rural areas. Specifically, I would like to know what is preventing them from making a compass tracker, because from my perspective, Pokemon Go was meant to be more than a game where you explore your cities. And this new system does not support that message.

Working on the 66th floor of a downtown high rise before the update was very beneficial, as the GPS would bounce me around a 2 block radius and pokemon would constantly spawn.

Now it constantly tells me I'm driving too fast and no pokemon spawn at all.

It was a good run. ;___;

So is everyone else's gps not working well too? Seeing some reports in this thread. Last night I walked 1 mile and it said I only did 0.5km. This morning I walked 1.2 miles and it said I only did 0.8km.

Chaos17

Looks like botters finally came to my area. This morning every single gym was red. All 10+ of them. That has never happened before and I've been playing since launch. They also all had the same 2-3 over 30 trainers in there that I have never seen before. They also all had 2500-3000 Snorlaxs in every single gym. I cleaned out the closest gyms by me, but man is cheating lame. I really hope they start hard banning these people.

*grumble*

Went out to lunch and saw a Bulbasaur again finally, he was a low CP level but hey I need candy to get Ivy. Got excited and threw a berry and a ultra at him...poof gone in one try. Ok fine...whatever. Five minutes later a Charmander shows up, great ball thrown and again...poof gone after one try. Ok....

Then a 250cp Pidgey shows up, throw one regular ball, caught.

This game. I love you Go but man you test my RNG patience sometimes.

Durden77

So how would you guys feel about them implementing a consumable to track the wild Pokemon?

Pretty sure I can feel it coming. I think I might be ok with it. If most are at the Pokestops, hunting "wild" Pokemon will be just like in the game's tall grass without the consumable. Walking around until you find something.

Askani

8H0J7ge.jpg

Which site/tool is this?

Edit :::::

SilphRoad. Never mind, carry on.

So how would you guys feel about them implementing a consumable to track the wild Pokemon?

Pretty sure I can feel it coming. I think I might be ok with it. If most are at the Pokestops, hunting "wild" Pokemon will be just like in the game's tall grass without the consumable. Walking around until you find something.

Nope, thats not something I would enjoy. Tracking should be a game mechanic, not a Pay-to-Win feature.

johnsmith

remember me

If it's something you have to buy I'll quit the game.

Not sure what the minimum distance you need to be to catch a pokemon, but in this case you mention, if you're walking 200m to the edge of the radius of the circle, you'd already be walking straight through where the pokemon (I think) so this is not the worst case, this might be close to a better case scenario.

Well, the worst case, following this directions, would be missing the pokemon at the cross by the smallest distance for it to appear.

If the radius is 100m, and you have to be at 10m, you can have to walk 687 meters. 670 meters for 20m, 694 meters for 5m.

Close enough to 700 to not matter (the last distance should be 100, not 200)

There's a better solution, anyway, if the localisation and the 100m rules is decent:

- walk straight till it disappear, and mark the point
- turn 90° right, and walk till you're 100m away from the previous point, staying at the limit (walk to the right if it's not appearing, to the left if it's there) It'll be tricky at the beginning, especially if the previous walk was short, but will quickly be easier.

> he's on your right, on the third summit of an equilateral triangle.

That's ~450m at the worst case...

That's a great explanation but holy cow that's also a lot of walking. You also have to act quickly since the 'mon could despawn at any moment and all of that walking for nothing could get annoying pretty quickly. Especially when you are in a hurry going to school/work and you just want to catch that new Pokemon but you can't since you have to do all that "dancing". Why can't they just add a track like on the original trailer indicating how many meters left you are from the Pokémon so we can go just straight to that point and move on?

Main problem is that points A and B could be in a street that's not wide enough nor has openings to ever let you walk perpendicular to the center point of the AB line to make the pokemon dissapear anyway. I'm not talking theoretically here either as I had this happen when I was trying to track down an Eevee using exactly this technique (before you say they're a dime a dozen: shush, they're rare for me :p )

Yes. Let me triangulate through this building. Fuck this new shit. Compass please.
Bingo :3

rc213

So is everyone else's gps not working well too? Seeing some reports in this thread. Last night I walked 1 mile and it said I only did 0.5km. This morning I walked 1.2 miles and it said I only did 0.8km.

Working on the 66th floor of a downtown high rise before the update was very beneficial, as the GPS would bounce me around a 2 block radius and pokemon would constantly spawn.

Now it constantly tells me I'm driving too fast and no pokemon spawn at all.

It was a good run. ;___;

Yes and yes to both since the last 2 updates.

They should allow people to send tickets with new PokeStops / Gyms proposals. They could ban big cities from adding new stops or something. My situation isn't as bad as other people here, but living in the outskirts can be a bit crap at times too. Not as much, but a bit.
It would probably be easier to prevent submission if another Pokestop is within x radius of the one you're trying to submit.

It isn't really about dense or sparse locations, as there's some dense places that have very little just because Ingress didn't take off there.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Looks like botters finally came to my area. This morning every single gym was red. All 10+ of them. That has never happened before and I've been playing since launch. They also all had the same 2-3 over 30 trainers in there that I have never seen before. They also all had 2500-3000 Snorlaxs in every single gym. I cleaned out the closest gyms by me, but man is cheating lame. I really hope they start hard banning these people.
https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=319948

People in my area have been sending tickets about those players, I sent one earlier today with two screenshots from gyms. There's even a specific space for nicknames of suspected trainers.

Doesn't hurt to try, even if it's a bit of a fool's errand in case they're still just doing soft bans.

Mr. Doop

So I think the intersection right next to my house is a Growlithe nest now. I've seen at least 3 of them in the past few days now.

EMT0

Banned
And like that, I still wish we had trackers, this new system gives an even bigger edge to those living in urban areas.

I am extremely disappointed in Niantic that they can't solve this game-design problem that would work for everyone, urban areas and rural areas. Specifically, I would like to know what is preventing them from making a compass tracker, because from my perspective, Pokemon Go was meant to be more than a game where you explore your cities. And this new system does not support that message.

You and me both. Everything from higher Pokemon density in cities, to the lack of Pokestops outside of cities, to the lack of variation in Pokemon outside of cities just leaves me annoyed with Niantic.

ChrisW

qO9a4Xt.jpg

This guy is rated at 91% for Battle, 93% for CP and 100% for HP.

Just need one more and I can evolve him!

Going by the average he should turn into a 938cp Wartortle

Insaniac

450 m is a quarter of a mile... not that much considering the whole point of the game is to get people to move

Muku

Are you suggesting Chanseys spawn in/near hospitals?

I wish they did. They don't at the one I live by. I do find Clefairy by it from time to time though. And Drowzee.

Though, if the other person is thinking of going by hospital, don't be surprised if they don't have PokeStops. Mine had theirs removed within the last week. All of them. ;_;

Edit: Will say last night after the update, I had very few Pokemon sightings on my walk. It was disappointing, until I realized the quality of what I was finding. Yeah, couple Pidgey and Weedle in there, but I also found a high Clefairy and Drowzee. Like 600-700 range. It's so rare I find things that high, even at level 23. So I'll take less sightings if it means my stuff will be better.

Still a bit frustrated that I had better luck finding things over 1k at level 19 right before I hit 20 than I have since. I found two. I've not found any since. :/

I would note that it's not exactly the same as launch week, because the difference between two steps and three steps is different from "there" and "not there." If everyone was tracking based on three steps or gone when the game launched, then it would be the same, but we're missing the granularity from before. As it is, the distances between "points" on the triangle are further apart with the new method, so tracking a pokemon will take more time and thus will end in failure more often.

Still, it is at least possible. That other system they're testing also sounds really great, so we'll see what comes down the pipe.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Need to do a mass evolve for level 20, so I went to buy a lucky egg, but ended up with 3 more incubators + the egg lol. At least I get some when I hit lvl 20, but I need to stop spending money on them. The pull is just too strong when you see all those eggs going to waste. Eggs today were Caterpie (2km) and Venonat (5km). So yeah. Almost caught a Dragonair but it fled

HardRojo

Is there a way to find the best Pokémon to spend dust on? I don't want to spend dust on a low tier Pokémon even if it has great IVs.

L Thammy

What exactly happens when you hit "I'm a passenger"? I'm wondering if it makes it any easier to play on the bus, or if it makes it harder to hatch eggs during trips to the local grocery.

Not sure if I've got the new tracker, but I have the new sightings page now. Seems to be a lot more responsive now,

If it's just the Pokemon with the grass then it's probably not the limited trial thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom