• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Did you randomly think that within the 1st hour you'd be able to see rare fire pokemon everywhere or something?
I don't want rare fire Pokémon.

I don't want fire Pokémon PERIOD. I'm in a desert biome, there isn't a single fire Pokémon that is hard to obtain here.

The issue is I'm not seeing even a single ice Pokémon. My nearby is the same Pokémon I always see.

Which is par for the course for my area for events including desert biome Pokémon. Halloween only got me more Meowth and Cubone, both commons here. Had to drive an hour to get anything else. Rock event was mostly Geodude and Omanyte, a common and an uncommon-but-not-particularly-rare, didn't even get bonus Rhyhorn. Even the pink event was only Chansey, which is most common in deserts, but at least more Chansey is good. At least the water and grass events were good, but that was because *all* of the Pokémon in both of those events are rare as hell here.

I don't understand how Niantic can't figure out how to prioritize Pokémon that DON'T already spawn in your area.

Maybe just wait...

For Rock event, they spawned everywhere and was wonderful. They almost never spawn here.
And the rock event was a total bust where I live, as I said, so it being good for you doesn't help me. I see no reason to expect things to change, especially when I'm 3/3 on events with desert biome Pokémon only giving me more of my local spawns.

zulux21

Just wait till they fuck up gyms and kill the game.

really not sure how anything they do to gyms can be worse than what they currently have.

maybe in big cities gyms have a turn over rate.

here...
they are all level 10 blue gyms with the lowest pokemon at like 2.8k.
even if i wasn't blue, at level 27 or whatever I am I don't even have a pokemon that could be anywhere but the bottom of the gyms.

gutshot

I don't want rare fire Pokémon.

I don't want fire Pokémon PERIOD. I'm in a desert biome, there isn't a single fire Pokémon that is hard to obtain here.

The issue is I'm not seeing even a single ice Pokémon. My nearby is the same Pokémon I always see.

Which is par for the course for my area for events including desert biome Pokémon. Halloween only got me more Meowth and Cubone, both commons here. Had to drive an hour to get anything else. Rock event was mostly Geodude and Omanyte, a common and an uncommon-but-not-particularly-rare, didn't even get bonus Rhyhorn. Even the pink event was only Chansey, which is most common in deserts, but at least more Chansey is good. At least the water and grass events were good, but that was because *all* of the Pokémon in both of those events are rare as hell here.

I don't understand how Niantic can't figure out how to prioritize Pokémon that DON'T already spawn in your area.

And the Water and Grass events sucked for people like me who live and work in water and grass biomes while the Rock and Fire ones are great.

That is just how these events work. And it's the reason, I assume, that Niantic has over the past few months tried to do an event for each type, so that all biomes have at least a couple of events where they get a bunch of Pokemon that don't normally spawn for them. Not every single event is going to be great for everyone.

And the Water and Grass events sucked for people like me who live and work in water and grass biomes while the Rock and Fire ones are great.

That is just how these events work. And it's the reason, I assume, that Niantic has over the past few months tried to do an event for each type, so that all biomes have at least a couple of events where they get a bunch of Pokemon that don't normally spawn for them. Not every single event is going to be great for everyone.

I don't expect every event to be good for everyone. I never indicated I felt that way either, you're arguing a point I never made.

I do expect that they prioritize Pokémon who are rare in a certain biome over Pokémon that are already common when BOTH are a part of the same event. If this was just a fire event, I'd be fine with the results. But what's the justification of having a "Fire and Ice" event and only giving people the ones they already have and not the ones that are extraordinarily rare?

gutshot

I don't expect every event to be good for everyone. I never indicated I felt that way either, you're arguing a point I never made.

I do expect that they prioritize Pokémon who are rare in a certain biome over Pokémon that are already common when BOTH are a part of the same event. If this was just a fire event, I'd be fine with the results. But what's the justification of having a "Fire and Ice" event and only giving people the ones they already have and not the ones that are extraordinarily rare?

So you are expecting Niantic to make some sort of exception in the spawn rates for those in desert/fire biomes to depress the Fire types and show more Ice types? That would certainly require some special coding and dev time just for this event. I'd much rather they spend that time and energy on other things, frankly. Just boost the spawns across the board and be done with it.

So you are expecting Niantic to make some sort of exception in the spawn rates for those in desert/fire biomes to depress the Fire types and show more Ice types? That would certainly require some special coding and dev time just for this event. I'd much rather they spend that time and energy on other things, frankly. Just boost the spawns across the board and be done with it.

wat

This is a completely nonsensical, tales from my ass statement. Just going to leave it there.

yeah seeing a lot of swinub, I'm in a desert biome.

I agree that the water event was amazing for me. caught a couple of 100% magikarp. I do wish there WAS a dynamic algorithm that can focus more on stuff that isn't normal for certain events.

Bought an iPhone SE yesterday in anticipation for the event, life on my aging and banged up Galaxy S4 after having an iPhone 7 was torturous.

Now Pokemon GO is silky smooth again and I can catch some 'mons

Here's to some Lapras spawns

-MB-

Its a ton of Cyndaquils/ Houndours/Growlithes here, with a sidedish of shellders, Caught one Lapras too, and heard they spawned from other people as well.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
it's weird seeing people excited about swinub.

they are about as common in wisconsin as pidgy lol.

granted I bet it was weird seeing someone excited for ekans when I was in vegas as they are no where to be found here :p

i shit out ekans they are garbage tier spawn everywhere never seen a swinub in central california and yeah pretty much only seeing fire type for this event as well gonna give it time but so far its been shitty all i want is at least a swinub and a delibird and ill consider this event a success

only missing
feraligatr
togetic
ampharos
politoed (just need upgrade item)
jumpluff
unown
sneasel
piloswine
delibird
kingdra (just need upgrade item)
donphan
porygon2 (just need upgrade item)
smeargle

kinda crappy that not all gen 2 can be hatched from eggs

edit: right after i posted a swinub spawned off my incense event is a half success so far

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
really hope they add more buddy slots one day so many pokemon id love to walk to get candy to power them up but i cant cause i always have to walk one to get enough candy to evolve it

maybe add a buddy slot that you can only put pokemon that you have fully evolved into it to generate candy to use to power them up with

gutshot

i shit out ekans they are garbage tier spawn everywhere never seen a swinub in central california and yeah pretty much only seeing fire type for this event as well gonna give it time but so far its been shitty all i want is at least a swinub and a delibird and ill consider this event a success

only missing
feraligatr
togetic
ampharos
politoed (just need upgrade item)
jumpluff
unown
sneasel
piloswine
delibird
kingdra (just need upgrade item)
donphan
porygon2 (just need upgrade item)
smeargle

kinda crappy that not all gen 2 can be hatched from eggs

edit: right after i posted a swinub spawned off my incense event is a half success so far

Smeargle and Delibird have yet to be released. I'm hoping they will be dropped with the gym rework since the reason they are holding them back is due to their unique moves.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Smeargle and Delibird have yet to be released. I'm hoping they will be dropped with the gym rework since the reason they are holding them back is due to their unique moves.

oooh just thought they wernt hatchable well shit hope they put them in eggs at least once they do put them out

gutshot

Hatching 10 km eggs has to be the most frustrating experience in the game right now. They are hard to get from Pokestops and then you get finally get one, incubate it and walk five times as far as a 2 km egg only to hatch total trash 8 out of 10 times. Like, I don't mind hatching trash out of a 2 km egg because the effort to get it and then hatch it is a lot lower. But considering the 10 km drop rate and the distance you have to walk to hatch it, it really needs to be something useful every single time.

And yes, the last five 10 km hatches for me have been Pineco, Gligar, Skarmory, Dratini (less than 80% IVs) and Gligar again. So maybe I'm a little bit salty. But nothing else in this game makes me want to throw my phone quite like the 10 km hatches.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
tell me about it i would be happy to get dratini i dont even get those all i get are gligar, skarmory and mantine

all i want are larvitar to power up my tyranitar or a couple more mareep to get my ampharos

Mknzy

This event has been great for me so far. I've caught several Cyndaquil and Swinub so far. In fact I've caught more Cyndaquil than I've seen sience gen 2 hit, and I hadn't seen a single Swinub until the event started. I'm excited!

gutshot

Here are the rarity tiers for the event, according to a r/TheSilphRoad poster:

Code:
2048	Growlithe
2048	Cyndaquil
2048	Shellder
2048	Swinub
2048	Ponyta
2048	Vulpix
1024	Charmander
1024	Houndour
512	Seel
128	Sneasel
48	Jynx
24	Magmar
16	Lapras
4	Charmeleon
4	Quilava
4	Flareon
4	Rapidash
2	Typhlosion
2	Piloswine
2	Charizard
2	Houndoom
2	Dewgong
2	Cloyster
1	Ninetales
1	Arcanine

That seems to match up with what I am experiencing.

Desert Biome, seeing the following:

-Swinub
-Shellder
-Seel
-Vulpix
-Cyndaquil
-Charmander

Swinub is the only one I really need and I'm almost at 50 candies just from randomly catching things.

GulAtiCa

Used a lucky egg during lunch since was hatching a 10k egg. Was a Chansey! Kinda strange that I've now gotten 3 Chanseys from eggs buy only 1 Snorlax (did catch like 4 or 5 in wild though).

Gained around 50k in xp. Really enjoying this event so far. That Lapras from yesterday was pure awesome.

Catch a growlithe. 100 IV. SWEET!!

EVOLVE!

Snarl and Wild Charge.

GOD DAMN MOTHER #$^&***(*^;:"$%;*@> $>÷*3@?-[> $,#?-*'IFNED

So much anger....

ZeroCDR

Hatched 8 of my 9 10KM eggs just now.

2x Aerodactyl
2x Mantine
2x Pineco
1x Dratini

aaaand a 96% Larvitar! Completely saved that lot.

GulAtiCa

Hatched a Glyder. My 10k streak finally ended. lol. Hatched another Dratini the other day and a Mareep. Mareep are pretty rare for me. Really strange that I can almost evolve my 2nd Larivtar all the way, but not my Mareep yet. lol.

I also now have near 300 Dratini candies (plus 60+ on me to transfer at some point for sweet 120 candies+). I won't evolve yet, prob wait till the gym update comes and goes to see what changes (esp if new moves come into play)

Top Bottom