• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO Shares the Love This Valentine’s Day

I feel like the game fulfilled its purpose and now it's an afterthought for them. I had a lot of fun when it first launched, but the novelty wore off quickly. For a few months I remained excited for upcoming updates, waited anxiously for trading and PvP, when rumors of Gen 2 popped up, I was hyped. But they managed to disappoint about all those things. We're eight months into this game's lifetime and it feels like it's yet to leave its alpha phase.

Jethro

Eight or nine 10k eggs, are you kidding me?

I play every day and in the last weeks I had like three 10k eggs....

Falchion

I keep thinking about getting back into this, but I probably won't until they add in a larger batch of new Pokemon.

daxgame

I rarely remember to open it nowadays but the wife will be pleased. She likes those pokemons and she always opens it going to\from work.

HardRojo

6 hours of lures is crazy. I'm playing every now and then, yesterday I went for an 8k run with some friends and played a bit while running, it'd have been nicer to have this event active yesterday 😔

AdanVC

I used to be a huge Pokémon Go player and I stopped playing a month ago because I get sick of catching the same trashy Pokémon over and over and over and over and over
and over
again and I think I'm not on the mood to go back playing anymore. It's been nice to be able to walk freely on the streets without checking the damn phone every 30 seconds just to see another freaking Pidgey appear.

I'm still grateful for all the great moments I experienced and all the people I meet thanks to this game though :)

Pejo

Still no trading or PVP outside of gym battles. I'll keep waiting.

This event is cool though, reminds me of the halloween one.

zeemumu

I don't think it's dead but it's not nearly as big as it used to be and likely never will be because of how trends work, especially apps.

It's Call of Duty dead(not actually dead but not as big as it was), not Tony Hawk Pro Skater dead (basically dead)

Teppic

Not sure how people can still play this. Like, what's keeping you hooked?
For me it's an exercise motivator. The game itself isn't that fun, like most time wasters. If it weren't for the walking egg/buddy part I wouldn't still be playing it.

Galang

Banned
They really couldn't even add one exclusive Pokemon for an event like this? Niantic fails at these events so hard. Luvdisc would have been cool

giphy.gif

Nothing will save Pokemon Go.

People still play this game!?
man thanks for these hot takes guys

oh look they just made more money than our all three of our saleries combined in the minute it took to write this post.

*yawn*

LaserHawk

During the Christmas to New Year's period they did this thing where they just vomited starter pokemon all over the planet, and it was a REALLY nice chance to get them since they're pretty rare. It was a very nice time to play Pokemon Go if it weren't for all the cold weather where I live. And this event looks like a great chance to get Porygon, who is also rare and I don't currently have.

I've gone from playing regularly to just waiting for events like this, so news like this is good for me.

man thanks for these hot takes guys

oh look they just made more money than our all three of our saleries combined in the minute it took to write this post.

*yawn*
What does that prove? It's still a bad game, and an even worse Pokémon game. Like it's of very poor quality, the only reason people like it is Pokémon.

atr0cious

What does that prove? It's still a bad game, and an even worse Pokémon game. Like it's of very poor quality, the only reason people like it is Pokémon.
What you're saying proves nothing, and is not at all what that poster or the others are talking about. We can argue what makes a good Pokemon game, but the fact is that this game is still a pretty good money maker, regardless of gafs interest in it.

OryoN

Its one of the highest grossing mobile games of all time. The heck are you talking about?

As freaking huge as this game became, it had potential to be much more popular and - believe it or not - had the ability to hold consumer interest for much much longer than it did had they capitalized on the success as soon as possible by allowing people to trade and battle pokemon - which is like the main hook to franchise, besides just capturing them. So while I would have chose a different/better analogy, I do see his point.

JoeM86

They finally gave us a time that the events would start.

It's 11 minutes after the given time and it hasn't started.

Good grief

Who cares?

The joke here are the edgelords that think this game needs "saving" when in reality, it's making more money than many "successful" games will ever see or make.

And despite whether you think it's good or not, it's still being played by millions for a myriad of reasons, which is more than many AAA single or multiplayer games can say over a year after launch. Some use it for the collaborative team aspect. Others as a motivator to stay active (my gf and I walk daily for Buddy Candies and Egg Hatching). If those kind of reasons don't matter to you, the fuck do you care, or anyone else tripping over themselves to tell the world how much this game is failing?

And don't pretend like this is the first "bad" game to be so successful. Man, the salt is insane with this game and every little update.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Damn, I think I've caught all the pink Pokemon. But having more Chanseys is always good. And so are double Candies!

I'd be more excited about 6 hour Lures if it didn't mean just attracting crap to my location. I've never gotten anything worthwhile from 'em.

im betting gen2 in summer, 1 year after the starting.

people want the next gens after like 3 months, they'll run out of pokemon to put in the game at that rate, then what?

JoeM86

people want the next gens after like 3 months, they'll run out of pokemon to put in the game at that rate, then what?

Yeah but it'd take them 2 years to get to that point. Every 4 months then it'd be 2 and a half.

Calm Mind

374083-futurama_fry_looking_squint_super.jpg

I always get responses like this to whenever I tweet about GO. Yeah its userbase has dropped and not everyone is playing, but it still has a bigger userbase than the vast majority of mobile titles.

I don't understand people :(

I'm sure the people making these statements don't understand themselves.

FYI: It just launched in Korea this week. So much for a dead game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would still take a couple of years to get them all out. Plus there are all sorts of other things in the game that can be updated as well. Plus there will be new Pokemon games coming out in the future.

I didn't expect them to bring out the next lot of Pokemon quite that quickly but I did think there would be regular updates. There are just so many things they could have been adding and it feels like they've done bigger all (if not made the experience worse).

It's weird to say because Pokemon go was and is fucking huge hit it's such a missed opportunity. They could have kept the phenomenon going with proper updates and support but that ship has sailed now IMO.

I've played every day since launch, but I don't care about battling or evolving (since I've already evolved every Pokemon that can be evolved). I think I have every Pokemon found in the US save for the Gen 2 eggies. This event doesn't do much to help me, as I'm really only trying to level up at this point. Still fun when they do things like this...

Top Bottom