• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Firestorm said:
Charizard is NU.
Charizard.

Smogon doesn't give a shit about internet memes or sentimental value really. In fact, if someone posted some bullshit about mudkip on a forum I moderated I'd infract their ass so fast I swear to god.
Yeah, well I may be factually wrong about Swampert's fighting ability, but Swampert's sheer suckitude drowns this fact in a limpid pool of fail.

I said before that I know that Swampert isn't an objectively bad pokemon. I just feel that there are better water types out there and that he and his pre-evolutions are as ugly as sin. Also, I have min/max tendencies when I train and everything about it is just... so-so. I mean, yeah, it has the HP and OK defenses, good type coverage and Stealth Rock, but he's just not for me, OK?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anybody got a SoulSilver Groudon that I could borrow for a few minutes? I'd just like to catch Rayquaza and be done with legendaries until the wi-fi Lati@s is released.

Wichu

Metroid Killer said:
Hmm no I don't think so, I don't see any trucks there.

I foresee that soon Echoes will make his own torture image of Palmer...
I'm pretty sure you can just Surf around from the port.

Anyway, I'm doing a bit of grinding against the Elite Four in preparation for Red. Then, I can RNG a Kanto starter, and get the Blue Orb :D

I'm going to be at the England qualifier (why do they call it a qualifier? It's basically the UK nationals), with my little brother. I still haven't actually started breeding/catching/training my team yet, but I do have it planned out. It shouldn't take too long with RNG abuse :p

Echoes

^ IMO, the Pokewalker course that has it is the best. You can try Rock Smash-ing in Vermilion City as well.

Metroid Killer said:
I foresee that soon Echoes will make his own torture image of Palmer...
Oh, I will. And the A.I. is so freaking cheap! I substituted Primeape with Breloom (Spore, Seed Bomb, Superpower, Facade). My strategy is to Spore an opponent and kill it with anything. To my greatest luck, 3 enemies in a row (one in each match) had a Vital Spirit Pokemon as a lead, which means I can't spore it. Because I haven't memorized all the Pokes/Abilities, I won't know it until I spore them, only then to have a message telling me that they resist sleep.

Oh and that piece of duck Kingler.... Endure -> Salac Berry activates (+1 Speed) -> Flail. If it weren't for Garchomp's good defenses I would have died -_- he killed Starmie and Breloom in one hit.

BUT PAlMER-2nd IS THE BIGGEST CHEATER EVER :'(

I'm seriously not sure whether to take Primeape or Breloom with me. Primeape has Close Combat, U-Turn, Ice Punch, and Punishment. With a Focus Sash he can be very supporting and reliable. On the other hand, Breloom has Spore, Superpower, and the amazing Facade which, after one turn, will hit for 140.

645: I wish I can help, but I'm at work for the next 6 hours.

Echoes

Only once. I can't even begin imagining the horror of losing again :lol I knew that he has Heatran and Regigigas, but didn't know about Cresselia. I didn't know anything about their moveset as well, so that nasty Focus Sash + Explosion caught me by surprise -_-

I just killed him the first time. Let's hope I manage reaching him again. Primeape with a Focus Sash is my only hope of survival. He will KO Heatran, and if Cresselia shows up I'll U-Turn and bring in Garchomp, as he will outspeed her without problems. And because of Regigigas's ability, I will also outspeed him and probably kill him (or bring him very low).

Edit: Wow, Primeape with Focus Sash is a TOTALLY different beast. Slaking comes, 2HKO (he was dumb enough to use Yawn, my ability prevents sleeping). Lickylicky OHKOd with CC as well. Wailord is 2HKOd with CC, thanks to Focus Sash that let me endure the Surf.

Highly recommended. Starmie + Primeape + Garchomp = omg.

Echoes

I have heard a lot of shitty things concerning the Battle Frontier and their cheating AI but MY GOD once you experience it you will realize by yourself how broken it is. This fucking Tower is the most broken "challenging rooms" I have EVER witnessed in RPGs. Edit: IN ALL GAMING.

- Floatzel uses Double Team SIX FUCKING TIMES and Starmie CAN'T hit him EVERY single time!

- Foe's Starmie kills Primeape with Psychic. FINE! Go, my Starmie. Mine has 30 IV in speed and ev-trained in speed and special attack. Yet, Foe's Starmie managed to hit with Confuse Ray. FIIINE! Starmie then hits itself FOUR TIMES IN A ROW. Dies. Go Garchomp. Confuse Ray, and he hits himself ANOTHER THREE FUCKING TURNS IN A ROW.

What in the FUCKING fuck? WHY? FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT GAME.

I quit everything Pokemon-related because of this piece of broken shit.

Fucking Game Freak. Instead of designing a superb AI they cheat their way out with out-of-the-world broken RNG. All they do is cheat their way even through their fucking life.

Fuckers.

Edit: this is just a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny bit of what I'm going through in the Battle Frontier. Once you beat Palmer the first time the game simply CHEATS against you. No fucking way my monsters hit themselves seven fucking turns in a row while Starmie had like 25% and would simply be annihilated with ANY move.

upandaway

It's amazing that you're so surprised. I thought it was very well known that the game cheats in the Battle Tower.

Got nothing to tell you except abuse AI, and good fucking luck when you get to that damn Walrein that spams OHKO moves.

thefil

Sixfortyfive said:
Anybody got a SoulSilver Groudon that I could borrow for a few minutes? I'd just like to catch Rayquaza and be done with legendaries until the wi-fi Lati@s is released.

If there's any chance you're still around I can let you borrow mine.

upandaway said:
Got nothing to tell you except abuse AI, and good fucking luck when you get to that damn Walrein that spams OHKO moves.
Oh my :lol

It's funny how an innocent game like pokemon can make you ragequit. The thought of getting to Palmer2 hasn't even occured to me, since I just grind the BF and that's it. Waaay too much cheat for me to enjoy it at this point(I still haven't EV trained mind you).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
upandaway said:
I thought it was very well known that the game cheats in the Battle Tower.
Citation needed. I won't believe it until I see proof. Bullshit luck is to be expected in Pokemon, no matter how improbable.

And not to rub it in, but the CPU doesn't even start using its best teams until at least battle 50.

thefil said:
If there's any chance you're still around I can let you borrow mine.
Give me like 10 minutes and that would be great.

EDIT: FC is 4082-7707-6833.

EDIT 2: Hooray!

MNC

Oh my God, I finally start to get the hang of Voltorb flip and it's immensely fun, I managed to get to Lvl 5 highest :D Is there like an app for it on the PC? :lol

upandaway

Sixfortyfive said:
Citation needed. I won't believe it until I see proof. Bullshit luck is to be expected in Pokemon, no matter how improbable.

And not to rub it in, but the CPU doesn't even start using its best teams until at least battle 50.
No matter how improbable? It does matter. That's the whole basis to me saying it's cheating. Immediate citation, I guess, is Echoes saying he didn't go through confusion as much as he did. It's just one time, yeah, so it remains to be seen if he really did have an insane one-time stroke.

You don't know, for example, that the game didn't cheat against you if you didn't give it the chance.

Echoes

Unfortunately I didn't save Starmie's fuckfest battle as I was too busy raging from the inside, but here's something equally shitty:

Video ID: 55-41110-04016

Basically:

My Primeape uses Punishment
Gallade uses Drain Punch
Primeape uses Punishment, MISSES
Gallade kills Primeape
-
Garchomp Swords Dance
Gallade uses Ice Punch, Garchomp survives!
Garchomp uses Earthquake, MISSES
dies
-
Starmie uses Surf, MISSES
Gallade attack, she survive
Starmie uses Surf, it fucking damaged Gallade. YEAH LIKE A SURF WOULD DO ANYTHING TO HIM AFTER ALL THIS MISSES. I would have killed this piece of shit if ANY of the other moves hit. 2 Surf would have done it. But no, they make you hit only when you have 1 HP so they can laugh at your own misery.

3 misses in a row with 100%-accuracy moves is COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT. Period. I don't give a crap if he's holding Bright Powder. Had it been this broken, people would have used it ALL the time.

Fucking fuck.

Mafro

See the move trainers in Blackthorn, can I have that woman teach Draco Metor to more than one Pokemon, or is it just a one-off?

Wichu

Echoes said:
Unfortunately I didn't save Starmie's fuckfest battle as I was too busy raging from the inside, but here's something equally shitty:

Basically:

Gallade uses Drain Punch
Gallade kills Primeape
-
Garchomp Swords Dance
dies
-
Starmie uses Surf, it fucking damaged Gallade. YEAH LIKE A SURF WOULD DO ANYTHING TO HIM AFTER ALL THIS MISSES. I would have killed this piece of shit if ANY of the other moves hit. 2 Surf would have done it. But no, they make you hit only when you have 1 HP so they can laugh at your own misery.

3 misses in a row with 100%-accuracy moves is COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT. Period. I don't give a crap if he's holding Bright Powder. Had it been this broken, people would have used it ALL the time.

Fucking fuck.
Haha, that's the exact Pokémon that ended my brother's Factory streak. He was about to finish it off with Magmortar's Fire Punch (both trainers' last Pokémon), and it missed.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Echoes said:

Basically:

Gallade uses Drain Punch
Gallade kills Primeape
-
Garchomp Swords Dance
dies
-

Fucking fuck.
It's always the fucking Gallade.

Ok time to do some EV training, can you guys confirm if i got this right?

When having a pokemon with PKRS and the Macho Brace:
Battling against a pokemon that gives out 1 HP ev = 4 HP EV
Battling against a pokemon that gives out 2 HP ev = 8 HP EV

When having a pokemon with PKRS and the Power Weight:
Battling against a pokemon that gives out 1 HP EV = 10 HP EV
Battling against a pokemon that gives out 2 HP EV = 12 HP EV

Echoes

Mafro, I'm sure you can learn it anytime you want, no limits.

Metroid Killer said:
Ok time to do some EV training, can you guys confirm if i got this right?

When having a pokemon with PKRS and the Macho Brace:
Battling against a pokemon that gives out 1 HP ev = 4 HP EV
Battling against a pokemon that gives out 2 HP ev = 8 HP EV

When having a pokemon with PKRS and the Power Weight:
Battling against a pokemon that gives out 1 HP EV = 10 HP EV
Battling against a pokemon that gives out 2 HP EV = 12 HP EV
Yep! If you need Power items tell me, I have like 70 BP.

And it seems I'm not the only one being cheated with Gallade :/ I swear to god I don't give a crap about BP anymore, I just wanna kill that piece of fucking shit Palmer for the 2nd time.

Echoes said:
Mafro, I'm sure you can learn it anytime you want, no limits.

Yep! If you need Power items tell me, I have like 70 BP.

And it seems I'm not the only one being cheated with Gallade :/ I swear to god I don't give a crap about BP anymore, I just wanna kill that piece of fucking shit Palmer for the 2nd time.
If you don't mind I could use a Power Bracer and a Power Anklet. In the long run they are much more usefull compared to the macho brace.

So getting 252 HP can be 24 battles against a pokemon that give out 1 HP EV and then 1 battle against a pokemon that gives out 2 HP EV = 252 HP EV, right?

Damn every step into the more hardcore areas of pokemon is crazy :lol

Fitz

Don't forget about vitamins, you can get up to 100 in each EV with them, cuts a lot of time off the grind, if you've got the cash of course.

Echoes

Wanna make it easier? Since finding Pokemon with 2 EVs constantly is sorta hard; 25 battles = 250 EV. Then, remove the item, and play one more battle (1 * 2 from PKRS = 2). 252 :D

Come now with 2 Pokes, I'll handout the Powers to you.

Awesome! Getting online then
Edit: In the room now
Colkate said:
Don't forget about vitamins, you can get up to 100 in each EV with them, cuts a lot of time off the grind, if you've got the cash of course.
Yeah you are right, but they are so expensive so I guess that if you are gonna EV train a whole team you are quickly gonna run out of money, no? Then again grinding E42 is pretty much a daily event now...

Fitz

Yeah indeed, I think I had around 700,000 when I started EV training my current team of 6 and ran out of cash after 4 Pokemon, but after grinding them all from about level 10-50 on the E4 I had maxed out my cash anyway. :D

Ok then. Last EV related question for now. Once you've filled out all the EVs, the only thing that'll remove the EVs in any sort of way is if you give them the special berries. So you can safely battle any random pokemon after getting the EVs you want?

Echoes

Just so you know: Misdreavus has 31 IV in HP and SpDef , and Riolu has Crunch (an egg move). You could breed the Lucario-then for the perfect nature, and you can breed a perfect Misdreavus if you're not satisfied with this one's nature (have her hold one of the Power items to pass down the IV).

Have fun training, bro :D

Edit: Yep, you got it right.

Fitz

Metroid Killer said:
Ok then. Last EV related question for now. Once you've filled out all the EVs, the only thing that'll remove the EVs in any sort of way is if you give them the special berries. So you can safely battle any random pokemon after getting the EVs you want?

Yeah that's right.

Magnus

The Black/White thread vanished -- has this been posted yet? Apologies if it has:

edit- Just occurred to me that people might not be posting it because links to vids like this might be against ToS somehow. Not going to link it, but it looked like first footage of Black/White gameplay on a Japanese game show.

Echoes said:
Yet, Foe's Starmie managed to hit with Confuse Ray. FIIINE! Starmie then hits itself FOUR TIMES IN A ROW. Dies. Go Garchomp. Confuse Ray, and he hits himself ANOTHER THREE FUCKING TURNS IN A ROW.

I've noticed the same thing with this game, the whole random aspect of the battles has been almost eliminated and everything is severely stacked in favour of the opponents Pokemon. Critical hits in particular are incredibly predictable now with other trainers and wild Pokemon seemingly getting them once every two or three attacks, where you can only get a critical hit when the attack would have knocked out the enemy Pokemon regardless.

It's something I've noticed creeping in since the R/S/E and Collosseum days and one of the reasons I lost interest in the franchise.

thefil

Playing more of Platinum and I've noticed in general the trainers are smarter. They use battle items, switch Pokemon and exploit type weaknesses. It's weird that they reverted to a stupider state for HGSS, with a few exceptions.

Bii

Got a Chansey swarm on Route 13. ^_^

So I had planned on trying to get Lucky Eggs for the next four hours and fortunately enough, I already have 6 Lucky Eggs within half an hour. :lol

I only really need two for myself, does anyone else want one? I can't trade right now since I'm at work (hence the reason why I had planned to use the next four hours to get Lucky Eggs) but I can definitely give some out after 5:30pm PST. I'm not sure how many I'll have by the end of today but I'll try to Thief as many as possible.

Mafro

Urgh, goddamn pseudo-legendaries and their lvl55 final evolutions. Pupitar and Dragonair both at lvl 51, I've got five rare candies, but I want to save them, and I'm not evolving Dragonair until it's learned Outrage. Been grinding in Victory Road (again).

Wizpig

I can't wait to return to Johto so that i can GTS a cool WiFi battle I made the other day.
I will be sure to post the code here :p

Firestorm

Sixfortyfive said:

No, the Battle Tower is pretty bullshit. It almost always rolls high on anything that requires a virtual dice roll. This means you should never use moves that can miss, have a sturdy Pokemon if possible (or something fast + strong enough to kill a Pokemon before it uses OHKO moves), and some sort of counter for Bright Powder / Double Team. There's this entire metagame around beating the Battle Tower really as the strategies need to take into account extreme bias towards the CPU.

My own experience was in Pearl where Palmer's Rhyperior for some reason was 252 spatk with a +spatk nature and OHKO'd my Dragonite two times in a row - something only possible if he rolled 100% on his damage calculation.

The random element does not really exist in Battle Tower. The further you get, the further it falls in your opponent's court.

Echoes said:
I have heard a lot of shitty things concerning the Battle Frontier and their cheating AI but MY GOD once you experience it you will realize by yourself how broken it is. This fucking Tower is the most broken "challenging rooms" I have EVER witnessed in RPGs. Edit: IN ALL GAMING.

- Floatzel uses Double Team SIX FUCKING TIMES and Starmie CAN'T hit him EVERY single time!

- Foe's Starmie kills Primeape with Psychic. FINE! Go, my Starmie. Mine has 30 IV in speed and ev-trained in speed and special attack. Yet, Foe's Starmie managed to hit with Confuse Ray. FIIINE! Starmie then hits itself FOUR TIMES IN A ROW. Dies. Go Garchomp. Confuse Ray, and he hits himself ANOTHER THREE FUCKING TURNS IN A ROW.

I quit everything Pokemon-related because of this piece of broken shit.

Fucking Game Freak. Instead of designing a superb AI they cheat their way out with out-of-the-world broken RNG. All they do is cheat their way even through their fucking life.

Fuckers.

Edit: this is just a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny bit of what I'm going through in the Battle Frontier. Once you beat Palmer the first time the game simply CHEATS against you. No fucking way my monsters hit themselves seven fucking turns in a row while Starmie had like 25% and would simply be annihilated with ANY move.

Couple of things I have noticed (but may just be SSS or observer's bias):

When an AI Pokemon spams DT, it seems like you miss for several turns in a row followed by moves connecting for a few consecutive turns.

The game seems to increase the hax factor once you've reached/surpassed your personal best. I've seen crazy hax happen as early as the 4th set but only on my first time through that part of the tower.

thefil

Bii said:

So I had planned on trying to get Lucky Eggs for the next four hours and fortunately enough, I already have 6 Lucky Eggs within half an hour. :lol

I only really need two for myself, does anyone else want one? I can't trade right now since I'm at work (hence the reason why I had planned to use the next four hours to get Lucky Eggs) but I can definitely give some out after 5:30pm PST. I'm not sure how many I'll have by the end of today but I'll try to Thief as many as possible.

I Would love one or two. Mind you, I already have one so it'd just be for convenience. Is there anything I could give you in return?

Bii said:

I could use one, I'm getting pretty bored waiting around for a Chansey swarm myself.

timnich

Exactly how do the EV reducing berries work? Like how many EVs do they remove? I want to EV train a couple of pokemon I used for the main quest as they have good natures, but is this really feasible? Also, is there any way to figure out the EV spread of pokemon if you didn't track EVs from the beginning?

Bii

thefil said:
I Would love one or two. Mind you, I already have one so it'd just be for convenience. Is there anything I could give you in return?
I'll put you down for two. I'm already up to 17 Lucky Eggs. -_-

If you have a spare Bagon or Trapinch, I'll take one. If not, don't worry about it. Everyone here has been extremely generous and I feel like giving back. :)

OMG Aero

Could I have one or two lucky eggs too please? I want to add some new Pokemon to my team in Kanto before I take on the gym leaders, but it's taking quite a while to get them up to the levels as my team.

Bii said:

Would you be able to hang on to one for me please? I'm in the UK so 5:30pm PST is too late for me (works out at 1:30am), but I don't mind waiting until a more suitable time to trade with you.

Top Bottom