• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon lore can be very dark and disturbing (or, How TPC killed off Pikachu today)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What about humans eating Pokemon?
Edible_Magikarp.png

Anyone want some sharpedo fin soup?

Today's menu: eggxecute stuffed kingler, fried pidgey wings, bulbasaur bulb salad
Whats dark with this?

ibyea

Banned
The Sinnoh myth referring to Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf:

"Look not into the Pokémon's eyes.
In but an instant, you'll have no
recollection of who you are.
Return home, but how?
When there is nothing to remember?
Dare not touch the Pokémon's body.
In but three short days, all emotions
will drain away.
Above all, above all, harm not
the Pokémon.
In a scant five days, the offender
will grow immobile in entirety."

In essence, if you look into Uxie's eyes, you will lose all memory, if you touch Mesprit's body, in three days you will seize to have emotions, and if you harm Azelf, your body will be completely paralyzed.

If this counts as "very dark and disturbing" I'd advise you keep from watching the news. Or going outside.
This seems like a shit post to be honest.

You don't think it's at all dark and disturbing that in this series that is generally considered very kid friendly, there are these creatures that steal the life force of other creatures, and leave their ill will behind?

The creature is something that might just as well be in some horror movie (but I guess, in your opinion a person can't consider a horror movie dark and disturbing either, because horrible things happen in real life, right?), but it being in a setting from which you wouldn't expect something like this, it makes it a bit more disturbing still.

Daemul

The whole trapping them in balls to only be let out to fight was pretty dark. I mean, what happens to the pokemon if/when their trainer dies out in the wild? Do they just rot in the balls?

Pokemon can leave their balls at will, they don't have to stay in there.

What about humans eating Pokemon?
Edible_Magikarp.png

Iirc didn't someone stop their daydreaming in its tracks and tell them that Magikarp arent actually edible?

zoukka

Sure if nature and wildlife is "dark and disturbing" to you.

For me it's one of the happiest and optimist game series out there. I couldn't imagine another game series that was less "dark".

DigtialT

That dead pikachu could be..

Nope, mimikyu is actually just a pokemon that is sensitiveness to light and so it wears a veil to protect itself. It drew on its veil to make it look like pikachu because the popularity of pikachu merchandise in the pokemon universe, hoping to make friends with people.

Pokemon can leave their balls at will, they don't have to stay in there.

What's the point of catching them then? If they were willing to follow someone you wouldn't need to force them into the balls, which they clearly don't want to be in since they try to break free when you first catch them.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
One thing that always lingered in the back of my mind. If cubone jr. mom is a cubone, what happens to the skull the mother was wearing? Do they just swap skulls? Has this ever been explained?
It just makes sense for individual cubones. There are far to many running around that this is thing to be taken serious.

Piers

I like the working theory that the Pokédex entries are like an internet messageboard filled with tryhard shit that obviously isn't true as they don't gel with the Pokémon world at all.

"My mate Gary says that Herdier's can't look up!"

That confuses me as well. Presumably they're written on the idea of how that Pokemon would function in our world and not Pokemon's.

Pokemaniac

The whole trapping them in balls to only be let out to fight was pretty dark. I mean, what happens to the pokemon if/when their trainer dies out in the wild? Do they just rot in the balls?

The anime generally implies that Pokemon are fully capably of leaving their balls whenever they want.

ASIS

This is so cute, I wonder what is based on

ooh
WTF is that?!

And to the people saying "lol its like nature what's dark about that?" Well nature can be absolutely horrifying, sometimes even more than the wildest of imagination. Case in point, that ungodly picture 0_0

WTF is that?!

And to the people saying "lol its like nature what's dark about that?" Well nature can be absolutely horrifying, sometimes even more than the wildest of imagination. Case in point, that ungodly picture 0_0

Thats's a caterpillar fungus, a parasitic fungus that uses caterpillars to grow. If you want to know more use this wikipedia link.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
If Pokemon Lore is real then it doesn't make sense how people in that world aren't constantly dying. You've got Pokemon that steal souls, can cause earthquakes at will and all kinds of insane shit.

May be there is a reason why the Pokemon world spent so much time, technology, and resources on cockfighting. The society even consider it more important than school. May be living in that world is a constant non-stop human vs nature war for survival. The whole pokemon training/battle is just a training program preparing kids for the real war.

Also explain why Ash is still 10 after 20 years, must be taking anti growth hormone to avoid being sent to the war, and he can't win tournament, because once Ash got recognized he would be drafted for the front line.

The Pokedex is weird in that entries vary from plausible, to failures of science (almost anything that uses quantitative measures*), to urban/folk legend , to mentions of locations on our Earth, to obvious lies.

*The temperatures of many Fire / ice Pokemon would end all life on the planet. An IQ iq of 5000 is a) meaningless (doubly so since it would be normalized to the sentient species taking it) and b) if we pretended it mapped to human is 1 in 1.16*10^23175 . That's a number with ~23000 more zeroes than the number of atoms in the universe multiplied by the age of the universe in seconds.

Conan-san

If Pokemon Lore is real then it doesn't make sense how people in that world aren't constantly dying. You've got Pokemon that steal souls, can cause earthquakes at will and all kinds of insane shit.

Humans in the pokemon world tend to be able to endure a lot of shit. Your average day in PokeSpec would kill your average JoJo's side character.

Paras and Parasect are my favorites. I love the fact that the same zombie-inducing-mushroom that inspired The Last of Us is also the inspiration for a pocket monster. Y'know, for kids!

Also I am somewhat concerned over the number of Pokemon that explicitly eat their prey alive. Like Glalie, for instance:
Glalie has the ability to freely control ice. For example, it can instantly freeze its foe solid. After immobilizing its foe in ice, this Pokémon enjoys eating it in leisurely fashion.

KHlover

Banned
The Pokedex is weird in that entries vary from plausible, to failures of science (almost anything that uses quantitative measures*), to urban/folk legend , to mentions of locations on our Earth, to obvious lies.

*The temperatures of many Fire / ice Pokemon would end all life on the planet. An IQ iq of 5000 is a) meaningless (doubly so since it would be normalized to the sentient species taking it) and b) if we pretended it mapped to human is 1 in 1.16*10^23175 . That's a number with ~23000 more zeroes than the number of atoms in the universe multiplied by the age of the universe in seconds.

Pokedex_8dfed4_2535918.jpg

Cheerilee

One thing that always lingered in the back of my mind. If cubone jr. mom is a cubone, what happens to the skull the mother was wearing? Do they just swap skulls? Has this ever been explained?

The Mother Kangaskhan and Baby Kangaskhan are essentially joined at the hip. There is no one without the other. They are likely one single Pokemon. Female Kangaskhans are born with a Baby already in their pouch.

When the Mother Kangaskhan is killed but the Baby survives (the Mother is said to fiercely protect the Baby), the Mother is reduced to (at minimum) a skull and bone. The Baby Kangaskhan picks up it's Mother's bone for use as a club and puts the skull on it's face, and undergoes a Pokemon evolution to become a Cubone (a helpless half-Pokemon makes itself semi-whole again using weapon-and-armor derived from it's deceased half). A Cubone is no longer a Kangaskhan. It can never go back. It has changed on the Pokemon level.

If a Cubone evolves into a Marowak, the bones become sleeker and seem to become a more integral part of the creature (more like an exoskeleton than a helmet).

If a Cubone or Marowak gives birth, the resulting Pokemon isn't a Kangaskhan (nether Mother or Baby or both), it's a Cubone. This newborn Pokemon is born lonely and grief-stricken, wearing it's dead mother's skull, and that dead mother was for all intents and purposes a Kangaskhan (even though technically it's mother was a Cubone/Marowak), because this Pokemon is a creature of sadness, trapped in an endless loop of sadness. A broken and bandaged Pokemon whose children will never even be able to regain the happy innocence that was lost.

Nope, mimikyu is actually just a pokemon that is sensitiveness to light and so it wears a veil to protect itself. It drew on its veil to make it look like pikachu because the popularity of pikachu merchandise in the pokemon universe, hoping to make friends with people.

You can't fool me. That's a Purge mask.

Ultratech

Did people forget about the Rockets and the Slowpoke Well in GSC?

They were going in there and cutting off the tails of Slowpokes to sell for a ton of money.

(Also, you can eat them too.)

And IIRC, the manga had instances where Pokemon could straight-up be killed or lose limbs.

Like this poor Arbok...

Dreavus

Usually it's "folk tale" style entries for the pokedex, you almost never see the 'mons doing what it says in some of those passages, either in-game or other media like the show, especially the really dark ones. It's like old stories about faeries and boogeymen and stuff like that (although it IS presented as a scientific "entry", so it's kind of off balance).

Things like "it's the mother's skull!" on cubone feed into that. It stops making sense as soon as you look at them as a species with breeding and stuff like that, since they hatch with a skull on them (?), or holding the leek, or any other myriad of objects certain pokemon seem to "come with", whereas if it was like a story someone's telling you about this monster (pokemon) it makes more sense that it'd be this mysterious thing.

It is distressing that there's a picture of it actually doing as described in this case though!

Top Bottom