• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon lore can be very dark and disturbing (or, How TPC killed off Pikachu today)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
...who steals your soul if you look at its back.

Which you do, if you use it in Pokemon Battles.

OH SNAP.

In any case, I doubt the Pikachu in the promo is THE Pikachu that the TPC uses for advertisements. Just a clever easter-egg nod to people like OP that think they did.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Drowzee:
250px-096Drowzee.png
In Pokemon Go, the area around where I live is just full of these things. Drowzees are easily my most seen and caught pokemon in that game.

Cerity

I'd really love to see some sort of darker pokemon ranger type game (and not those DS ranger games). Bugger gyms and becoming a pokemon master off. You become a ranger, help ward off some of these more disturbing pokemon, shit escalates and you find something like mewtwo or team so-and-so as the antagonists. Set in a darker world like HxH, man that'd be amazing.

I don't know if this will show up but...

Shedinja’s hard body doesn’t move—not even a twitch. In fact, its body appears to be merely a hollow shell. It is believed that this Pokémon will steal the spirit of anyone peering into its hollow body from its back.

""Oh look at that-- dead"

292.png

Stealing souls since 03.

Mr-Joker

Banned
You should check out the plot of gen 6, it's pretty dark.

But they're only supposed to faint :(

Nope, it has been stated many times that Pokémon do in fact die.

how do folks get their protein in the Pokemon world?

They eat Pokémon.

EDIT: Also a lot of things in the Sinnoh region are very unsettling or bizarre... I love that region for that =3

Yeah, Sinnoh folk lore was really interesting and is part of the reason why I love that region.

Did anything ever come from that?

Nope, unless Sun and Moon touches upon it.

Pokemon teaches kids that slavery is acceptable.

Pokémon aren't slaves they are partners and the games makes that quite clearly even stating that Pokémon are smart creatures and if they don't want to be around Human they can easily choose to hide away from them.

Nope. It's just the latest in a long line of haunted locations that have no closure. Just like the girl that was killed by Darkrai in Black/White.

That plot was explored end explained in Black and White 2.

The one in X and Y isn't fully explained at all, along with other plot points of X and Y like the Horde of Faceless men or the Froakie that turned into a boy.

Fandangox

Shedinja’s hard body doesn’t move—not even a twitch. In fact, its body appears to be merely a hollow shell. It is believed that this Pokémon will steal the spirit of anyone peering into its hollow body from its back.

""Oh look at that-- dead"

that's just such a cheap trick for a pokemon to use

Yeah, that's dark as hell. When I saw the Z-moves for sun and moon that pretty much eviscerated the other Pokémon... It seemed like Pokémon deaths are now becoming a thing. I'm not entirely sure if this is recent since I seen it in that but it certainly is... New.

Sableye is creepy as fuck.

It's idle animation has it twitching around like something from a horror movie. When you hit it it recoils, looks at you, sprouts a big, creepy fucking grin and then hobbles back.

So check out one of the lore entries for Palossand, the new sandcastle Pokémon:

"Palossand loves the vitality of Pokémon and drags small Pokémon into its body so it can steal their life force. Its sandy vortex swallows them up in a heartbeat! Pokémon dragged into Palossand leave traces of their ill will behind. It’s thought that this negative energy may be the starting point of new Sandygast..."

pokemon-770x562-palossand.jpg

Now, long-time fans know Pokémon is no stranger to ideas that could best be described as "dark" and "disturbing." But I find it amusing/unsettling how TPC went so far as to provide key art of their most popular character dying a horrible death.

On that cheery note... What's your favorite bit of effed-up lore from Pokémon?

That dead pikachu could be..

casiopao

U guys know what, i would love if there if TPC would create a manga which focused on all the crazy lore of the pokemon as slice of life+horror genre lol.

Imagine each chapter will be like Youkai Watch where they will showcase a single Pokemon and what destructive thing it can do lol. It is going to be a blast to follow.^_^

Conan-san

Indeed.

Here's Drifloon's HGSS entry

"It is whispered that any child who mistakes Drifloon for a balloon and holds on to it could wind up missing"

250px-425Drifloon.png
I mind one of the DP entries noting that it tries to do it but is so light as to be incapable of doing so and the child just roughhouses it like any other balloon.

So it goes from creepy to hilarious.

Durden77

325Spoink.png

This thing freaks me out. Not that it's scary or anything, but I remember reading that it bouncing on it's spring is actually what makes it's heart beat. The idea of it tipping over or something and it's heart just stopping is errie...

Yup, Drifloon's entry is straight up creepy.

Cubone's is almost as frightening:

And that's EVERY FUCKING CUBONE!!! Not just one, but EVERY Cubone wears it's mother's skull.

And then many of them evolve into a Marowak. Which means that if they propagate, THEY BECOME the skull their children wear.

Life. What a bitch.

Teknoman

Which you do, if you use it in Pokemon Battles.

OH SNAP.

In any case, I doubt the Pikachu in the promo is THE Pikachu that the TPC uses for advertisements. Just a clever easter-egg nod to people like OP that think they did.

Shedinja creepy pasta gaf go!

I like Cacturne.
250px-332Cacturne.png

If a traveler is going through a desert in the thick of night, Cacturne will follow in a ragtag group. The Pokémon are biding their time, waiting for the traveler to tire and become incapable of moving.

Amalthea

Banned
Well Pokemon are supposed to be a big part of the franchises ecosystem.

I love how fucked up nature is and how much it surprises people when they find out about all that wacky stuff.

The whole trapping them in balls to only be let out to fight was pretty dark. I mean, what happens to the pokemon if/when their trainer dies out in the wild? Do they just rot in the balls?

Top Bottom