• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon lore can be very dark and disturbing (or, How TPC killed off Pikachu today)

Madao

it's so common to see crazy pokemon that people lump in the "ran out of ideas" group which turn out to be very faithful to real animals that people don't know exist because people are ignorant.

the sand castle looks interesting. definitely grabbing one when i encounter it.

Kusagari

If Pokemon Lore is real then it doesn't make sense how people in that world aren't constantly dying. You've got Pokemon that steal souls, can cause earthquakes at will and all kinds of insane shit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Heatmor Pokedex entry is kind of gross.

"Using their very hot, flame-covered tongues, they burn through Durant's steel bodies and consume their insides."

250px-104Cubone.png

Its imploed that cubone wears its mothers skull

What happens if a Cubone litter has more than 1 Cubone? Do they fight each other to the death for the right to wear the skull? Cause you know... There aren't any living Cubone who don't have skull helmets...

Real Hero

If Pokemon Lore is real then it doesn't make sense how people in that world aren't constantly dying. You've got Pokemon that steal souls, can cause earthquakes at will and all kinds of insane shit.

how do you know there are not? There's not that many people around in Pokemon games, your home town always has like 3 houses

Makonero

What happens if a Cubone litter has more than 1 Cubone? Do they fight each other to the death for the right to wear the skull? Cause you know... There aren't any living Cubone who don't have skull helmets...

Sure there are! They're called baby kangaskhans. Kangaskhan was the first mother murdered, and her baby wore her skull, became a ground type, became a Marowak, got murdered, and then her baby became a cubone

The Pokemon cycle of life and murder

Actually, looking at the official site, it says the Crabbrawler's arms sometimes fall off in fights and are apparently delicious, so there you go.

We still don't know if people farm or kill pokémon for food, but they're not above eating discarded body parts.
Slowpoke Tail and Tauros pies

Fandangox

I wonder if the rumored dolphin Pokemon will have a lore entry to the effect of, "For years the people of nearby Kanto hunted this Pokemon despite protest from other countries, and out of misplaced guilt they did not include it in their popular monster-collecting videogame until just recently."

That'd be so meta!"

No its gonna be something like "For years researchers ran tests to fully unlock the potential of this pokemon, but inadvertently trained it to assassinate the president of the united states"

it's so common to see crazy pokemon that people lump in the "ran out of ideas" group which turn out to be very faithful to real animals that people don't know exist because people are ignorant.

the sand castle looks interesting. definitely grabbing one when i encounter it.
Better grab it before it grabs you lol

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I like the working theory that the Pokédex entries are like an internet messageboard filled with tryhard shit that obviously isn't true as they don't gel with the Pokémon world at all.

"My mate Gary says that Herdier's can't look up!"

Yeah this and finding the regis were so cook back in the day

I always wondered how you were supossed to discover the way to get to the regis. Using surf/fly, moving x steps left or right? Wtf?

OT: love this aspect of the pokemon games, adds more mistery and coolness to the whole world.

Neiteio

A pokemon based off of quicksand. What WILL they think of next
The picture in the OP isn't the Pokemon's main design. Palossand is a grudge that possesses sand and disguises itself as a sandcastle to lure in unwitting Pokemon that it then drags underground, sucking out their souls to create more grudges.

-If sproinks ever stops bouncing, their hearts stop
In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers your first mission is retrieving a pearl a Spoink lost in the second dungeon of the game. The Spoink says that they can't bounce without their pearl, so they're pretty much drawing closer to death until you get it back to them since even PMD follows some lore on the Pokedex.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The picture in the OP isn't the Pokemon's main design. Palossand is a grudge that possesses sand and disguises itself as a sandcastle to lure in unwitting Pokemon that it then drags underground, sucking out their souls to create more grudges.

...POkemon is scary

DedValve

Banned
Coconut crabs are like spiders with claws...

what's next, spiders with machine guns?

Australia probably had those before a violent gangwar between them and hornets with bazookas ended with the extinction of both.

for now.

Also this is the first new pokemon I'm seeing (bar the starters which I accidentally saw) since I'm on a blackout. WIsh the games were 2d for the possibility that its sprite will always contain a dead pikachu.

Please do this gamefreak. Just leave it there. Forever.

exfatal

Daaamn nature you scary!

Shedninja pokedex entry always scared the shit outta me as a kid.
Glalie Pokedex entry was no joke too
"Glalie has the ability to freely control ice. For example, it can instantly freeze its prey solid. After immobilizing its prey in ice, this Pokémon enjoys eating it in leisurely fashion."

My favorite low-key fucked up Pokemon

Muk:
grimer.jpg

Silver said:
Wherever GRIMER has passed, so many germs are left behind that no plants will ever grow again.

Dusclops:
250px-356Dusclops.png

Omega Ruby said:
Dusclops’s body is completely hollow—there is nothing at all inside. It is said that its body is like a black hole. This Pokémon will absorb anything into its body, but nothing will ever come back out.

Drowzee:
250px-096Drowzee.png

ORAS said:
If your nose becomes itchy while you are sleeping, it's a sure sign that one of these Pokémon is standing above your pillow and trying to eat you dream through your nostrils.
Silver said:
It remembers every dream it eats. It rarely eats the dreams of adults because children's are much tastier.

woopWOOP

We still need a Pokemon based on the absolutely massive Japanese Spider Crab
Okay now you're just doing this on purpose :p

My hair already stands up whenever I dive up one of those bastards in Animal Crossing New Leaf

please no spidercrab pokemon ever

darklin0

Banned
I always wondered how you were supossed to discover the way to get to the regis. Using surf/fly, moving x steps left or right? Wtf?

OT: love this aspect of the pokemon games, adds more mistery and coolness to the whole world.

The dots you find in caverns are clues and instructions. To most it seems like gibberish but easily translated because it is braille.

Strimei

If every Cubone wears its mother's skull, does that mean the mother Cubone always dies during pokebirth, or does every Cubone kill its mother?

Its best not to think about it too much.

Like how you can breed Yamasks, despite them being human ghosts. Though I guess you could explain it as the newly hatched Yamask is a freshly dead person.

I don't know why but Sigilyph terrifies me. I love the Pokemon, but it looks like the spawn of Claydol and Xatu, and it was created by ancients to be safety patrol sentinels. Actually, they remind me a lot of the sentinels from NMS, but with weird frantic flapping just trying to keep themselves in the air.

250px-561Sigilyph.png

Actually any of the "automaton" Pokemon (including Golurk and Claydol) simultaneously fascinate and terrify me.

Also the shiny for Sigilyph is amazinggggg

"Although Gorebyss is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this Pokémon inserts its thin mouth into the prey’s body and drains the prey of its body fluids." — AlphaSapphire pokedex entry

368Gorebyss.png

Based on the real-life hagfish

I just realized Gorebyss has a shell bra like Ariel.

Top Bottom