• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon lore can be very dark and disturbing (or, How TPC killed off Pikachu today)

DedValve

Banned
What the! Why did it pull off its own arm? And can they grow back?

Crabs are adorable.

That arm was weak. Weakness must be cut at the root lest you become weak. That crab made a hard choice.

"Better to rip off your claw then commit sin with it by it being WEEEEAAAAAAAKKKKK" - Crab 6:15.

Neiteio

Pokédex entries are just myths, I thought that was common sense. Seems like I was wrong.
A pokedex is meant to be a scientific collection of information. You're tasked with filling it out by capturing Pokemon for a professor.

The ones that are about myths will preface it as such.

Kayhan

crabrawler.png

Crabrawler’s pincers are sometimes torn off during its bouts—and they are said to be delicious.

LMAO!

Damn, now I want some crab.

Neiteio

Wha? A crab boxer?? Must've missed this guy's reveal.

Crabrawler pincers gonna be the new slowpoke tail
Yep, Crabrawler was revealed today. Pure Fighting-type, because it's based on the coconut crab, which only appears on land.

Like the coconut crab, it knocks fruit down from trees. :)

o2cI0.jpg

Astral Dog

I saw a top 14 of the most disturbing Pokemon and you would be surprised about their backstories, Voodo dolls,children killers, former humans,cubone wears the skull of his mother, Pokemon that eat children dreams and kidnap them, etc.

DryvBy

If this is very dark, then you might not want to check out the books/games/movies I like. My heart is as coooooooooooold as ice!

SalvaPot

A pokedex is meant to be a scientific collection of information. You're tasked with filling it out by capturing Pokemon for a professor.

The ones that are about myths will preface it as such.
I always believed your character was filling the Pokédex. So the entries are written by a 10 year old kid.

L95

Oh yeah, lets not forget the official ghost pokemon art from a couple years ago on the Japanese official website

http://imgur.com/a/2vOYq

Most of these are pretty cute, though the Chandelure burning their trainer is... a standout <.<

Psxphile

Scary PokeDex Entries to Tell in the Dark™
More Scary PokeDex Entries to Tell in the Dark™
Scary PokeDex Entries 3: More Research to Chill Your Bones™

Neiteio

I always believed your character was filling the Pokédex. So the entries are written by a 10 year old kid.
You're sending the Pokemon data to the professor, who writes the entry and updates your dex. It's the professor's project and contribution to science.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
"Although Gorebyss is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this Pokémon inserts its thin mouth into the prey&#8217;s body and drains the prey of its body fluids." &#8212; AlphaSapphire pokedex entry

368Gorebyss.png

Based on the real-life hagfish

Close enough.

hagfish-teeth.jpg

edit: dammit, lttp

"Although Gorebyss is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this Pokémon inserts its thin mouth into the prey’s body and drains the prey of its body fluids." — AlphaSapphire pokedex entry

368Gorebyss.png

Based on the real-life hagfish
Hagfish don't do any of that. Its design is way too pretty to be a hagfish anyway.

The Japanese versions of the game clearly state that the Pokedex is a high-tech tool that records the data automatically. Can't remember if the English version does, though.

Neiteio

Alola is a region where they warn you to not hug the mascot bear because it will break your back... where pulling back the sheet on Mimikyu will strike you with a horrible illness... where the palm trees are alive... where a sardine will school up to form a terrifying sea monster... and where sandcastles can bury you alive and steal your soul.

...who's ready for a vacation!

DrkSage

Alola is a region where they warn you to not hug the mascot bear because it will break your back... where pulling back the sheet on Mimikyu will strike you with a horrible illness... where the palm trees are live, and where a sardine will school up to form a terrifying sea monster... and where the sandcastles can bury you alive and steal your soul.

...who's ready for a vacation!

Sounds like Australia to me

Delio

It's pretty awesome seeing people get exposed to Coconut Crabs for the first time. I wanted one as a Pokemon for so long that Crabrawler was kinda got a loud YES out of me.

Top Bottom