• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Press Conference - September 10th - 06:00 UTC Today - "new business strategy"

Orayn

Conservative guess: "Yeah we're going to have Pokemon spinoffs on mobile now."
Bold guess: 3DS/mobile like Level 5's Snack World?

Hatchtag

Banned
Depending on how it's handled, I wouldn't be against Pokemon going partially on mobile. It's a turn based game so a lack of buttons mostly works fine. From a technical perspective, Pokemon would arguably only have things to gain going into an environment with higher resolution, better graphics and cellular features. In addition, Pokemon Showdown is the funnest way to play multiplayer Pokemon, imo, so playing Pokemon multiplayer on something other than a handheld isn't something I'm against. However, what I'm most worried for how this would affect the campaigns in Pokemon games. Those are by far my favorite part (although X/Y/OR/AS's sucked), and there haven't really been any wildly successful pay once to play the full campaign based mobile games.

But don't expect full mobile. Expect partial mobile. They're never going to go full mobile unless Nintendo does.

Oh god, they're gonna dumb the games down even more, and release them on mobile as pay to win, aren't they? :(

Please don't destroy the franchise I grew up with. :(

Being so sudden and the wording make it sound serious. Never cared for the franchise but I know it's important. Would be nice if GameFreak wouldn't be so tied to the franchise because they aren't very good.
This could be partners to help boost the franchise again like live action movies, amusement parks, or someone to help them out on mobile like DeNA

Cbajd5

we are ending the current pokemon anime and replacing it with cheaper cgi stuff

you will finally meet ash's dad

ash's dad is bowser, he was bowser jr. all along

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Expect the worse.

or

Pokemon Theme Park Attraction at Universal Studios
only in Japan

HYPE

kirby_fox

Banned
Reboot. Not all Pokemon survive the reboot. Some are completely eliminated from existence.

New game is going to have a handful of new Pokemon, and whoever survives the transition.

Types are going to be changed around just as much as mechanics are.

This is my prediction. I fear it.

MilesTeg

Banned
Pokemon performed extremely well on 3DS relative to userbase. This suggests the brand is still very strong regardless of hardware. Which means there theoretically is high potential of expansion of franchise even after all these years. It could possibly suggest that Nintendo hardware is holding back the franchise significantly which many would not argue with. I mean there is not a mainline Pokemon game in HD, and the franchise is doing great regardless. That's insane.

I really can't see Pokemon going third party, since I can't see Nintendo getting rid of their stake in the 2nd best selling game franchise of all time

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What if we get CoroCoro leaks right as this starts up...Pokemon Z revealed right as TPC announces they're going mobile from then on.

Reboot. Not all Pokemon survive the reboot. Some are completely eliminated from existence.

New game is going to have a handful of new Pokemon, and whoever survives the transition.

All my favorites are dudes who'll probably get the boot first.

Saraba, Lumineon...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Tsunekazu Ishihara leaving Pokemon Co to be new CEO at NCL
This actually sounds feasible, but if such a thing were to happen I'd imagine Nintendo would be the one making the announcement

Who would take the helm at TPC if Ishihara left? Masuda?

atbigelow

There's no other places to go to on handheld. Mobile would be the only place and if it's F2P like crazy and pay to win, that's going to kill the competitive scene. There's also an issue of cross compatability and local wireless trading and battling if it goes multiplatform.

All mobile devices can talk to each other if you want them to. Ever play "Space Team"? The tech is out there and not even that terrible.

Why the fuck would they have less overall Pokemon?

Anth0ny

remember when nintendo randomly announced a press conference in like 3 hours

AND THEY WENT FUCKING MOBILE

this feels eerily familiar...

Nanashrew

Banned
All mobile devices can talk to each other if you want them to. Ever play "Space Team"? The tech is out there and not even that terrible.

And if multiplatform between systems not just phones. that's largely what I meant. The servers and everything would need to connect or the userbase is split.

Sterok

Hopefully this is just related to the 20th anniversary and maybe doing something like shaking up the anime. Hopefully. I don't know if my heart could take a big Pokemon mobile project.

Top Bottom