• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT| Ultra Beasts and where to find them

emb

Right below the daycare lady is a small enclosure. Once inside, you can use your Tauros and rush around in a small circle. Incredibly fast for breeding, and you can easily see from your screen if another egg has appeared.
What's the visual cue? I tried running around beside her a bit, but didn't really notice anything. Granted, I was also not very focused on my game's screen.

Wiseblade

Why couldn't Game Freak just treat Bottlecaps the way they treat Rare Candies? It would have done so much to make competitive play more accessible.

Forkball

What's the visual cue? I tried running around beside her a bit, but didn't really notice anything. Granted, I was also not very focused on my game's screen.

She crosses her arms. The little enclosure right below her by far is the best spot. You don't even have to spin your stick quickly since Tauros still charges as long as you make a constant motion no matter the speed.

I was breeding Abras and she had her arms crossed the second I stepped out the door after depositing them.

DrArchon

Right below the daycare lady is a small enclosure. Once inside, you can use your Tauros and rush around in a small circle. Incredibly fast for breeding, and you can easily see from your screen if another egg has appeared.

I used to be on board with this, but having to mount and dismount over and over again to get eggs is a pain in the ass. Now I just run circles in that little open area to the left of the nursery lady. That way I never have to get off of Tauros ever.

If someone can prove that the enclosure is faster for hatching I'll go back to doing that, but it doesn't seem like it is to me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

by the way, the purpose of the enclosure is to save your stick from breaking

Wiseblade

Just abuse the exploit if you get lucky
That bit right there is what I'm talking about. That exploit requires that I fill my Festival Plaza with with lottery shops and get a lucky roll. It's luck stacked on top of luck.

What could have been the perfect solution to those complaining about IVs is now just another Dice Roll in Pokémon.

emb

That bit right there is what I'm talking about. That exploit requires that I fill my Festival Plaza with with lottery shops and get a lucky roll. It's luck stacked on top of luck.

What could have been the perfect solution to those complaining about IVs is now just another Dice Roll in Pokémon.
I wish they would make this stuff a little more direct. Kinda like in X/Y, they had super training, but you had to play obnoxious mini-games to get it (though horde training was a fine improvement itself.) They had reset bags, but afaik those were pure luck. Now we have stuff like Festival Plaza and Pokepelago that sound like good resources, but both seem so annoying that I hope I never have to use them. Sounds like Festival is gonna be critical for some stuff though.

They should just have a guy who buys Tiny Mushrooms to reset your EVs.

By the end of the game I had like 20 of them, and they're not particularly hard to farm.

This berry nonsense is a huge step back from reset bags which took seconds once your got a decent number of them stored up.

Forkball

First roll from a summoned 2* or higher Treasure Hunter will always be a bottle cap. So if you have enough FC to summon those repeatedly you can get bottle caps whenever you want as long as you have a VIP with a 2* Treasure Hunter.
Too bad some jerks have not updated their plaza at all. I DON'T WANT THUMP BUMP PARK*

I just run into the corner to the left of daycare building. Don't even have to move anywhere, hah.

emb

They should just have a guy who buys Tiny Mushrooms to reset your EVs.

By the end of the game I had like 20 of them, and they're not particularly hard to farm.

This berry nonsense is a huge step back from reset bags which took seconds once your got a decent number of them stored up.
Yeah, that would be perfect. Would make all those mushrooms hidden around the game make so much more sense.

I think there's also a way to reset with some festival shop. Berries would be fine if they were easy to farm (ala gen 3/4). Not sure yet, but I think Poke Pelago might have a way to do something like that.

Yeah, that would be perfect. Would make all those mushrooms hidden around the game make so much more sense.

I think there's also a way to reset with some festival shop. Berries would be fine if they were easy to farm (ala gen 3/4). Not sure yet, but I think Poke Pelago might have a way to do something like that.

Yea, Pelago has a farm, but it takes a day to farm.

With upgrades you can farm, I think, 24 berry trees. And you can use beans to speed up the harvest

But it's still a hassle.

Wow the Team Skull boss theme sounds so good!

Quickly becoming one of my favorite songs in the series

Coppanuva

Was looking for Comfey and Passimian today when I found passimian! Then he SOS'd a trumbeak and it was shiny so I had to kill Passimian.

DrArchon

I'm still trying to get a female Rowlet to start playing. I'm at 50 resets now. This is just stupid

I was lucky to get a female without any resets, but the 87.5/12.5 ratio for starter genders is really getting old. I've bred tens of Rowlets and I haven't gotten a single female out of them. It's gonna be hell when I try to breed Popplios, because I really would prefer having a female Primarina.

I have no idea why they don't just have it so that starters are 50/50 male/female.

I was lucky to get a female without any resets, but the 87.5/12.5 ratio for starter genders is really getting old. I've bred tens of Rowlets and I haven't gotten a single female out of them. It's gonna be hell when I try to breed Popplios, because I really would prefer having a female Primarina.

I have no idea why they don't just have it so that starters are 50/50 male/female.

Something something multiple starters something something too much freedom.

I think it's overdone at this point. 50/50 gender ratios please.

The only time gender ratio mattered on starters was pre-FRLG Gen III, when there was no Ditto. So female starters were your one and only shot at breeding starters. This was incredibly annoying in Colosseum, since all the Johto Pokemon were one-off, so if they were male, that was it, no baby Larvitars or baby Pinecos or whatever. And your starters were male locked to prevent Eevee from being around before FRLG

What a frustrating time for Pokemon mechanics.

Neiteio

NO

NOOO

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Spoilers from start of Island 4:
Lillie stops wearing the boots! Why?! WHY?!

On a more serious note, I said it before, I'll say it again: This campaign is so good. This is, like, the first time I've been motivated by the plot in a Pokemon game. Genuinely enjoying every moment. This is also the first time I wish there were multiple save files just so I could quickly replay certain parts of the game whenever I want. The combo of
Po Town and the return to Aether Paradise
was so good!

Shit, will this be the first Pokemon game that forces my hand to buy the other version just so I can replay the story? Thank goodness that Pokemon Stars is apparently a thing, although I don't know if I can wait that long!

NO

NOOO

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Spoilers from start of Island 4:
Lillie stops wearing the boots! Why?! WHY?!

On a more serious note, I said it before, I'll say it again: This campaign is so good. This is, like, the first time I've been motivated by the plot in a Pokemon game. Genuinely enjoying every moment. This is also the first time I wish there were multiple save files just so I could quickly replay certain parts of the game whenever I want.

Shit, will this be the first Pokemon game that forces my hand to buy the other version just so I can replay the story? Thank goodness that Pokemon Stars is apparently a thing, although I don't know if I can wait that long!

Could always just reset your game once PokeBank comes out for Sun/Moon, but I agree the storyline, while not amazing, is really enjoyable and executed well; best in the series to date.

MicH

The only time gender ratio mattered on starters was pre-FRLG Gen III, when there was no Ditto. So female starters were your one and only shot at breeding starters. This was incredibly annoying in Colosseum, since all the Johto Pokemon were one-off, so if they were male, that was it, no baby Larvitars or baby Pinecos or whatever. And your starters were male locked to prevent Eevee from being around before FRLG

What a frustrating time for Pokemon mechanics.
I kept resetting Colosseum until I got a female of every exclusive Johto mon available. It was ridiculous but eventually I managed to get them all female.

Man, Colosseum was great though

Neiteio

Could always just reset your game once PokeBank comes out for Sun/Moon, but I agree the storyline, while not amazing, is really enjoyable and executed well; best in the series to date.
Yeah, I mean the story is just a joy to experience. I love all of the characters. Lillie and Gladion, and their relationship with
their estranged mother Lusamine
is especially fascinating. Guzma is great; Team Skull is great. Even Hau, who appears obnoxiously one-dimensional at first, has a character arc that makes him a bit more grounded and human.

Lillie is my clear favorite, though. I think she appeals to me because she feels REAL. While every other kid in the Pokemon universe is unflinching in the face of adventure, Lillie feels a bit uncertain and lost. Like a real kid, she doesn't necessarily know how to get around on her own yet. She is intimidated by the adult world, but she has unshakeable moral convictions protecting a vulnerable Pokemon, and that gives her strength. The way she has grown and continues to grow has been a joy to behold. Such a great character!

One touching detail I love (again, as of starting Island 4):
When they're leaving Aether Paradise and Lillie wants to sleep in her mother's bed like when she was little. Even after everything Lusamine has done, Lillie still loves her.

I kept resetting Colosseum until I got a female of every exclusive Johto mon available. It was ridiculous but eventually I managed to get them all female.

Man, Colosseum was great though

I knew Ditto was coming eventually, so I just caught them normally.

Ended up with a female Croconaw anyway, so that was cool.

Colo was a great game, though.

asagami_

Banned
The backtracking in this game is going to be insane lol I'm in Ula Ula Island and I realized that the route "leaders" give you TM. Between this, the inaccesibles places and the catch of Pokémon will be interesting return to former places.

emb

Yeah, I mean the story is just a joy to experience. I love all of the characters.
It really is impressive how much of a leap up this game is in terms of characters, plot, and setting. It all works together really well, and none of the main characters come off as completely flat (outside of your mute player avatar, of course).

Black and White's story seemed interesting, but from what little I remember it sort of fell flat. All the gens do succeed in various ways, but it feels like VII is really the first one to break the mold and really leverage world-building and story-telling to add a freshness.

Top Bottom