• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT| Ultra Beasts and where to find them

Razmos

I had a brief moment of liking Hau when he #Rekt Faba, but all that goodwill was lost at once when his Primarina knocked out my pokemon with Sparkling Aria... when I was on his team in a double battle. Fuck you Hau

emb

I haven't gotten the IV checker, but it sounds amazing. That plus just showing EVs on summary screen keeps everything so much more convenient.

Finally got all the power items and started EV training with Pokerus and SOS training. Good lord, you really can just chain seven pokes and be done. Nuts.

I asked in the trading thread and I'll ask in this.

Anyone with a HA Abra?

Or know the process of Obtaining one when Teleport is 20pp? Do I need like Fling+Arena Trap Leppa Berry Trapinch or something?

How come nobody gets arrested in this game? Like, what these people do is horrible and could have caused a ton of damage had an 11 year old with a giant snake monster god of the earth not helped them with their problems. But man, to not arrest anyone and just let them go back to their lives is a kick in the gut.

I don't care if you're in a coma, you can't just run off to Kanto after releasing unspeakable horrors on the planet, on top of doing no doubt illegal gross crimes against nature in your secret basement labs.

Who is it that the guy in the desert wants to see? Is Lunatone in the game as a QR scan?

Don't be ridiculous, why would Pokemon based off the Moon and Sun be in the game based around the Moon and Sun???

Hylian7

How come nobody gets arrested in this game? Like, what these people do is horrible and could have caused a ton of damage had an 11 year old with a giant snake monster god of the earth not helped them with their problems. But man, to not arrest anyone and just let them go back to their lives is a kick in the gut.

I don't care if you're in a coma, you can't just run off to Kanto after releasing unspeakable horrors on the planet, on top of doing no doubt illegal gross crimes against nature in your secret basement labs.

Don't be ridiculous, why would Pokemon based off the Moon and Sun be in the game based around the Moon and Sun???

Or they take over an entire town and not a single arrest...

Wiseblade

I haven't EV trained yet, but is it as difficult to get specific spreads as it seems? The nice thing about Gen VI was that between vitamins, horde battles and Super Training, it was surprisingly easy to makes very specific spreads.

With QR teams coming, I'm not even going to bother making my own teams.

I have a lot of fun battling, and I used to be pretty good at it back in Gen III, but the amount of work to build a team is just too much for me to bother.

My ultimate dream would be Showdown being built with a QR team generator built right into it. Now that would be something incredibly cool if they can reverse engineer the team QR codes.

emb

Finally got all the power items and started EV training with Pokerus and SOS training. Good lord, you really can just chain seven pokes and be done. Nuts.
It's crazy!

How does the system actually work now? For a 1 EV Pokemon does it go 1, 2, 4, 8, etc, or something else?

Seems like even without Pokerus it goes really quick.

With QR teams coming, I'm not even going to bother making my own teams.

I have a lot of fun battling, and I used to be pretty good at it back in Gen III, but the amount of work to build a team is just too much for me to bother.

My ultimate dream would be Showdown being built with a QR team generator built right into it. Now that would be something incredibly cool if they can reverse engineer the team QR codes.

Damn that would be a dream.

Daemul

Just out of curiosity, why not use a dragon move on Garchomp instead of double-edge with mega-mance?

Likely wouldn't have changed the end result, I would think, but if he wasn't going to switch, can't really see what else he'd use on mega-mance other than outrage (maybe stone edge?)

In case he did switch, aerilate Double Edge would deal more damage to megamance's checks.

Ah, gotcha.

Yep, my main goal was to bait his Garchomp into a Outrage so that Primarina could switch in without worrying about Poison Jab and take him out, but just in case he did realise the trap, I used Double Edge to do massive damage to anything else he brought in.

Competitive battling isn't really like in game battling, sure, knowing type match ups and knowing which moves are good and which to put on your team members for synergy are important, but prediction is key. Being able to look at every possible move that can occur and then accurately make a prediction on which of those moves your opponent is most likely going to do next is a skill that can turn a loss into a win, and something that divides the good players from the rest.

Most players would just look at a Tapu Koko vs Primarina situation for example and think, "All the Tapu Koko guy has to do is click Thunderbolt and he faints Primarina", without thinking of the A-Marowak with Lightening Rod the other opponent has. A player who has gained the ability to predict would notice the A-Marowak and think whether he should risk the Thunderbolt in case the opponent doesn't actually switch out(because remember, the opponent is trying to make predictions too), or just immediately bring in his A-Marowak counter in order to hopefully catch the other guy out, assuming of course the opponent doesn't predict that and bring in a counter to counter that A-Marowak counter.

It's 100% mind games.

Megas were super broken, and z-moves aren't.

Some Z-Moves are utterly ridiculous though.

Hylian7

Ula Ula Island Spoilers
Isn't that island's Kahuna keeping most of Team Skull penned in Po Town? Seems like he's doing as much as one man can.

Yeah, but they still took over an entire down, and it seems more like he just said fuck it and built a wall....and made them pay for it.

Type2

Does anyone have a spare icestone for my vulpix? I would like ninetales before I beat the game. Im currently up to the Ghost Trial.
Its so funny being around level 36 with only my starter as an evolved pokemon.

Aleh

Does anyone have a spare icestone for my vulpix? I would like ninetales before I beat the game. Im currently up to the Ghost Trial.
Its so funny being around level 36 with only my starter as an evolved pokemon.
You get an ice stone soon after the ghost trial, in Po Town

Daemul

Don't really mind Z-moves after thinking more about it. I see them as glorified/stronger Gems

Some of them may be glorified Gems, but only the ones that were advertised in the pre-release videos. GF hid all the actual good ones from the consumer eyes, there's some broken shit hidden in this game that non-competitive players will never know about.

The amount of times i've been wiped out in this entry is probably beyond the last 4 generations or so combined. Granted I've been more lax about it (which is to say not really going for the revives unless it's like Elite 4 territory) after learning the cost isn't that bad at all.
Yet I'd be lying if I didn't admit on occasions here I've just been straight up bested, the post game has a sneaky habit of throwing you into fights where I'm thinking "yeah, I'm ready" only to suddenly realise these guys are gunning for me with full teams of six pokemon with great type coverage in their movesets (fuuuck you flamethrower Slowbro!).

The games levelling has odd spurts of being too powerful and then plopped back in your place, not that I mind.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Megas were super broken, and z-moves aren't.
The only thing that bothers me is why go out of their way to create an alternative timeline to justify the existance of Mega Stones in ORAS if Mega Pokémon were going to kick the curve Game Freak style anyways? Because I certainly didn't ask for this alternative universe/timeline nonsense at the Emerald Episode in ORAS.

The thing that gets my about the alt timeline stuff is when it comes to characters from Gens 1-5 turning up now.

Is Colress still the guy that did some rather dubious things in here? I gots to know!

Crayolan

Is there a post game list of events somewhere?

Don't know, but here's everything I found:
Go to Kukui's Lab for a reward
Also in Kukui's Lab, Lillie's diary can now be read
Go to Iki Town for a short cutscene
Go to the house next to the motel on Route 2 to battle Guzma
Return to Hano Grand Resort to meet Kahili
Talk to one of the clerks at the Thrifty Megamart to start a quest
Go back to where you met Colress on Route 8 to meet him again
Start the Ultra Beast quest at the motel on route 8
Return to Aether Paradise to battle Faba
Also in Aether Paradise, you can find Gladion in the upper levels and get Type: Null
In the lowest level of Aether Paradise, you can get legendary items from previous gens
You can find Plumeria in one of the trailers just outside the desert, but she doesn't say anything interesting
Return to the Aether House west of Tapu Village to get a Porygon
Return to the pokemon center in Po Town to get a skull tank
Talk to a guy in the Seafolk Village pokemon center to battle a shiny exeggcute
Go to the area just outside the ruins on Poni Island to get Surf and Waterfall
Go to all the island's ruins to catch the Tapus
Return to the Altar of the Sunne/Moone(depending on your version) with Nebby in your party to enter a portal to another world. Once you're in the other world, go to the Lake of the Sunne/Moone.
Go east of Hapu's house/Vast Poni Canyon entrance to fight Dexio
After you beat Dexio, you can explore the eastern half of Poni Island
Refight the E4

Posted in the community thread instead of here by accident:

Nuzlocke is a bitch in this game.

A no grinding nuzlocke would be near impossible in this game. I did a no grinding/no items in battle/set/no refresh/no Z moves run and ended up really underleveled where a lot of stuff in endgame could ohko most of my team. That kind of disadvantage would be insane under nuzlocke rules.

Red

Seems like eggs produce way faster this gen? I left a Litten and Cyndaquil at the nursery and got five eggs within what seems like a minute and a half.

Yeah just timed it and an egg is produced every nine seconds. Holy hell.

Seems like eggs produce way faster this gen? I left a Litten and Cyndaquil at the nursery and got five eggs within what seems like a minute and a half.

Yeah just timed it and an egg is produced every nine seconds. Holy hell.

It's a % every 257 steps, with best conditions being 70%. RNG being rng, you will have clumps of luck eventually.

Skii

Okay I've found a bunch of new Pokemon recently. I need to decide if I want Fomantis, Crabrawler and Bounsweet on my team. I'm leaning towards Fomantis because I dont have a grass type. I'll probably swap it for the cutiefly. Or will there be better grass types later on?

Vena

A no grinding nuzlocke would be near impossible in this game. I did a no grinding/no items in battle/set/no refresh/no Z moves run and ended up really underleveled where a lot of stuff in endgame could ohko most of my team. That kind of disadvantage would be insane under nuzlocke rules.

Well I am allowing Pelago and Refresh, so that lets me get better returns on experience. I also allow Z-moves and in-battle items (basically, all rules that would in effect apply for any in-game trainer) but you cannot use the merchant/stores to buy anything, so you can only use a finite resource. I use Set, of course.

So far the issue has been typing, experience hasn't been a problem (and most of my team is still <2 hearts in Refresh) so long as I can keep the "main team" of four or so pokemon alive. Lurantis and Olivia wiped me due to typing issues, not level issues. I was generally at or above their level.

Kinsei

Banned
Okay I've found a bunch of new Pokemon recently. I need to decide if I want Fomantis, Crabrawler and Bounsweet on my team. I'm leaning towards Fomantis because I dont have a grass type. I'll probably swap it for the cutiefly. Or will there be better grass types later on?

You can get a better grass type from an NPC trade very soon. Catch a Lillipup for it.

Still desperately searching for methods to chain for HA Abras. Any and all tips appreciated.

Gastly+Mean Look+Toxic doesn't work due to the single Abra having 20pp of Teleport.

I've looked at Sandstorm+Arena Trap Trapinch but the same issue. I need to be able to continue the chain past 30 and at the same time check for magic guard so some form of entry hazard might be the only way, but I don't know how to achieve this.

Any thoughts?

Busaiku

Bounsweet is Grass and better too.

r1chard

Finally finished! Very happy with all my Pokemon buddies I took along with me: Decidueye, Magnezone, Ribombee, Alakazam, Feraligatr and Salazzle. Picked all of them except Salazzle up in my first session with the game and they stuck with me the whole way through :)

Top Bottom