• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT| Ultra Beasts and where to find them

Demoli

Nanu's Krokorok is one shotting all of my pokemon lol. Earthquake on Ninetails, Earthquake on Grimer, Crunch on Decidueye, Earthquake on Salazzle lol, outspeeding everything.

Araquanid managed to take it out with a scald, phew.

Astronaut Spider always comes through

I think the Gen 2 and Gen 5 starters are available through the Island Scan feature, but which ones you get is random, depends on the island you are on when you use Island Scan, and you may get a different non-starter mon altogether.
It's not random actually, its based on the day. Since it's Monday, you can get Totodile in Melemele Island.

Demoli

So how viable in competitive is Wishiwashi? I haven't really looked closely, but I love the concept of Schooling.

He should be fine til january provided you build a team around him.

He's dead come january tho

He is the definition of a shallow movepool.

You know sometimes the Pokedex entries really don't work with the game play. Let's take Passimian
They form groups of roughly 20 individuals. Their mutual bond is remarkable—they will never let down a comrade.
They battle with hard berries for weapons. Their techniques are passed from the boss to the group, generation upon generation.
That is why they never call their own kind to help? Then again I might pin this one down to it feeling like Moon is the lead version (you see NPC Oranguru around and also
a few late game cutscenes make a lot more sense with Lunala
).

Quick question about egg moves.

Lets say my I'm breeding a Poke for EMs, but with the starting moves it can only get 2 egg moves at a time.

If i breed for more egg moves using the Pokemon that already learned the moves and has all 4 moveslots filled up, will the new moves still be passed down?
Yes they will, the egg moves take priority over the starting moves so in your example you would end up with something like Sand Attack, Aqua Jet, Spikes and Harden (struggle bug available at the reminder plus the egg moves that particular pokemon hatched with will always be available from there too)

Now of course only 4 egg moves can be passed down so don't ask me what happens if you have two Wimpod; one with Aqua Jet, Spikes and Harden, the other with Wide Gaurd and Metal Claw.

DrArchon

So how viable in competitive is Wishiwashi? I haven't really looked closely, but I love the concept of Schooling.

I can't see him doing well because his movepool is so awful. It's just terrible on every level, special or physical. And his bulk is diminished because of his low HP (that's effectively cut by 25%), so really it's just a super slow heavy hitter with a bad movepool.

I'd love somebody to prove me wrong though. Those offensive stats are super tempting.

Shallow Movepool but basically gets everything it needs to hit hard and has access to U turn for Utility. Pairs well with wish passers too. The main problem is speed.

Neiteio

Pretty much none of my Pokemon have been defeated so far. Been one-shotting most enemies. (God bless you, Skill Link Toucannon with many five-shot moves.)

Smasher89

Is there a place that sells Thunderstones or do I have to rely on Pelago?

I think its at the opposite of the pokemon center in heahea or what its called, a trial captains house!
where you see the letter to go to ruins of life i think it was, same town as eviolite and volt tackle move tutor

Daemul

Funniest online battle finale I've seen in a long while

pvXCtP5.gif

Jesus, I haven't seen such an final act of desperation from soneone in an online match in a long while, I understand why he did it but shit still had me bursting into laughter though, it was only going to end one way.

To explain what happened, I was matched up in Battlespot Singles against a guy with A-Ninetales, Garchomp and Gyrados against my Tapu Bulu, Mence and last but not least the lovely Primarina.

>Match opens up Primarina v Ninetales, he Aurora Veils, Primarina's Moonblast still takes away 40% health (the power of Specs my boys)
>He switches to Garchomp, and I decide to sacrifice Mence in order to bait the Outrage
>He takes bait and takes out Mence but not without taking damage first, Primarina comes into the Outrage which does nothing due to her immunity, she then Ice Beams Garchomp to the afterlife
>Gyrados comes in and I switch to Bulu, anticipating him to Mega
>He doesn't mega, but instead Dragon Dances and uses Waterfall, giving Bulu an easy kill
>Decide to leave Bulu in against Ninetales since I want Primarina to be at near full health for the final showdown, Bulu dies(RIP Bulu)
>Primarina vs Ninetales, we both know it's a win for Primarina, her Specs Moonblast hits like a truck
>Dude seeing all hope is lost, uses fucking SHEER COLD, which inevitably misses, and Primarina's Moonblast takes out Ninetales

Why the fuck he even had Sheer Cold on his Ninetales is beyond me, surely he did not foresee that he would be in that sort of situation? Sheer Cold is an ass move to rely on. Funny as fuck though.

omgkitty

Is there a decent guide / walkthrough for this game anywhere online yet? I've looked up some stuff on Bulbapedia, but obviously very little is fleshed out compared to the other games yet.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Why the fuck he even had Sheer Cold on his Ninetales is beyond me, surely he did not foresee that he would be in that sort of situation? Sheer Cold is an ass move to rely on. Funny as fuck though.

Just out of curiosity, why not use a dragon move on Garchomp instead of double-edge with mega-mance?

Likely wouldn't have changed the end result, I would think, but if he wasn't going to switch, can't really see what else he'd use on mega-mance other than outrage (maybe stone edge?)

I also have no issues on my N3DS. But I think Sun/Moon was actually optimized for switch...

;)

Either I'm failing at missing sarcasm, or i call shenanigans.

Just out of curiosity, why not use a dragon move on Garchomp instead of double-edge with mega-mance?

Likely wouldn't have changed the end result, I would think, but if he wasn't going to switch, can't really see what else he'd use on mega-mance other than outrage (maybe stone edge?)

Either I'm failing at missing sarcasm, or i call shenanigans.
The worst slowdown is better than XY on OG 3DS

Berordn

In case he did switch, aerilate Double Edge would deal more damage to megamance's checks.

Vena

Posted in the community thread instead of here by accident:

So...

Blind Nuzlocke (no shops, no exp share, no grinding, one Pokemon per route/location, no resets/mulligans, etc., Pelago is allowed and Refresh is allowed since its easy to accidentally use it at end of battle and be stuck) on Sun is a fucking nightmare challenge. I've made it to Olivia once, wiped, then I made it twice to Lurantis... wiped (fuck you crit, Power Herb, Solar Blade).

Z-Moves are a real fucking fear too since they can occasionally one shot a pokemon out of nowhere and I regularly have had to sacrifice a pokemon to a Z-Move in anticipation of being used. Also fuck you criticals and 5 flinches in a row.

You can get exceptionally fucked by bad rolls on typing in this game unlike any other Nuzlocke I've played (of course it doesn't help that I don't have a clue as to what is ahead of me since I am playing this blind). The Kahuna's and Captains have such a wide typing spread that its very easy to just hit a typing wall if you get a bad roll or lose valuable pokemon (like Zubat...).

But damn if this shit isn't a fun challenge as all hell. I will cheer whenever I finish a Totem or Kahuna with all of a single pokemon left to my name.

Also I am of the opinion that this run is damn near impossible if you don't pick Popplio first. Litten has too many Kahuna weaknesses early on and you need to depend on your starter heavily, and Rowlett is fucked at various stages of bad typing issues. Popplio doesn't have a typing issue until Lurantis and a Zubat (which you're next to guaranteed to have) tends to cover that well.

Nuzlocke is a bitch in this game.

Juicy Bob

I'd like to find whoever designed the 'call for help' wild pokemon 'feature' and batter them over the head repeatedly with a life-sized rubber Magikarp.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Finally found the last Zygarde Cell. It was the night only one in Poni Wilds. That has to be one of the worst Pokemon sidequests ever. At least the reward is worth the effort.

Fandangox

I'd like to find whoever designed the 'call for help' wild pokemon 'feature' and batter them over the head repeatedly with a life-sized rubber Magikarp.

But this makes EV training so fast.

Maybe in the next game they should make it so you can catch while two are out.

Hylian7

So here's a though: If Mega Evolutions were relegated to a postgame thing in this game, what's going to happen to Z-Moves in Gen 8? I feel like they are more gimmicky than Mega Evolutions and will be one of those things that will be put into the postgame.

I just hope GF doesn't keep doing things like this and then having them be an afterthought in the next gen and they reach a critical mass.

I actually liked Mega Evolutions.

Trakan

So here's a though: If Mega Evolutions were relegated to a postgame thing in this game, what's going to happen to Z-Moves in Gen 8? I feel like they are more gimmicky than Mega Evolutions and will be one of those things that will be put into the postgame.

I just hope GF doesn't keep doing things like this and then having them be an afterthought in the next gen and they reach a critical mass.

I actually liked Mega Evolutions.

Megas were super broken, and z-moves aren't.

Z-Moves don't seem like they'd be hard to throw into every game going forward.

Just have some dude selling all of the gems in a post game area.

Or just keep giving them out with gyms or other important battles. There aren't really a lot of them and they're themed by type which is a common thing for themed battles in Pokemon anyway.

I feel like they could have balanced Megas though rather than throwing them by the wayside though.

Z-Moves feel super gimmicky to me though, regardless of how balanced they are.

Z-Moves are going to make Porygon Z a top tier, and anything that does that is okay in my book. If the only reason they exist is to break Porygon Z, then by all means keep them around.

Top Bottom