• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

It's faster to hatch a bunch of Magikarp up to the shiny and then switch your daycare Pokémon to what you want, instead of say hatching 200 Gibles. Just do 199 Magikarp and the 1 Gible.

Oh, right. Yeah I missed that part. I guess I'll be doing this as well in the future. I assume the Magikarp and desired shiny should also both be foreign to do the Masuda method?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I'm a lazy bum but technically even just doing 1 Island Scan for the Global Missions would count me for the minimum reward of 400+BP right

Ahnez

While I see the logic of the situation you're explaining it doesn't really seem to match up to my experience of farming mareanies. I've never had one actually kill a corsola and often find the miniscule damage the Mareanies do to the corsola with peck and the like to be very little threat.
I wish I could give you some kind of special advice but all i ever did was pop the orb, false swipe them down and swap to my checker when a mareanie popped up. Admittedly, for me at least, the corsolas would often just keep spamming recover so they'd usually be at half health or so when a mareanie appeared.

If it's causing you problems though, you could always equip your corsola farmer with heal pulse and throw that out before the mareanie gets to attack?

edit: wait, where are you farming them out of curiosity? For reference sake I used the fishing point off the coast of kukui's house. Perhaps you're doing it somewhere where they're higher level or something?
I got it already, actually.

It took me four tries, tho

First was koed by a peck (corsola was already at 1hp). The next one was poisoned and didn't call for help in time. I broke the third chain because it called a shiny

It might just be my luck, it was the 19th mareanie who KOed the corsola on the first try, and the 16th in the second. The third was at 17 mareanies.

The one I captured was the 29th of the chain, the very first HA.

I lost track on how many corsola I KOed doing this lol

Demoli

So, for the swap shiny method, do you ust hatch an ivnentory of magikarps at a time, then swap the slot that would be shiny and it keeps the shinyness?

Are the IVs and nature locked o the karp egg or the new egg? the image i saw explaining left me a bit confused.

Cause i'm nearing 450 hatched beldum eggs with masuda+charm and i'm losing hope.

jelmerjt

Lol I caught a Beldum in a Beast Ball. Only had to throw like 8 balls. It was paralyzed, but had a lot of health left lol (around 80%).

Clear Body is still the best ability for a Mega Metagross right (used in Battle Tree)?

EDIT: Never mind. From Serebii:

Light Metal: This Pokemon's weight is halved. Believe it or not, Metagross is actually so heavy that even with Light Metal, it's still taking the maximum amount of damage from Low Kick and Grass Knot. So yeah, Light Metal is basically useless. Stick with Clear Body.

LOL.

Alright GAF I have a question for you.

I've been avoiding spoilers for this new generation (other than the competitive aspects) and am almost ready to take the plunge into buying Sun/Moon but I'm not in the mood for the mindless repetition of how these games usually go.

So my question is: What percentage of my time during the main quest will be spent fighting some poorly motivated evil team's underleveled poison/dark/fire/Rattata-esque Pokemon? And be honest! I don't want to buy the game only to find out that I was deceived by the internet.

ionitron

I've been avoiding spoilers for this new generation (other than the competitive aspects) and am almost ready to take the plunge into buying Sun/Moon but I'm not in the mood for the mindless repetition of how these games usually go.

So my question is: What percentage of my time during the main quest will be spent fighting some poorly motivated evil team's underleveled poison/dark/fire/Rattata-esque Pokemon? And be honest! I don't want to buy the game only to find out that I was deceived by the internet.

Not that long. A lot of the story is crammed to the end. Occasionally you fight a couple of mooks. But I can only think of about 3/4 times before the end-concentration where that's the case. I definitely don't think it's as bad as other games.

This is from what I remember though, you might want more opinions. Also, this time around I didn't mind fighting the mooks, they're actually kinda funny.

I am dying to hear about Bank compatibility. I've reached a point where I need some utility Pokémon that I don't want to remake because I spent a long time making special shiny ones in XY. I want to use those ones. They are my friends.

I was fine with the Bank delay at first because it meant you had to play the new games from scratch. But I thought we would have heard about an update by now. I think I always expected Bank to go live January 1st. And now I'm basically waiting for Bank before I do anything else.

Ryan_09

My luck has been outstanding this generation. In Moon, caught a shiny Poliwag (now a Politoad) while SOSing for Poliwrath/Politoad. It doesn't have Drizzle, but it did have a Modest nature and 4 perfect stats. :D Very usable, especially after I bottle cap her. A few days ago, I caught an shiny Adamant Raticate in Sun while trying to catch a Komala. She also doesn't have her hidden ability, and her IVs are pants, but will definitely be usable after a golden bottle cap.

If that weren't enough, I caught Pokerus last night! I know it's easy to get from online trading now, but it was still really cool to see. The only other time I got Pokerus myself was back in Platinum, which I transferred up to Gen 5 and 6.

After I finish the (post-game spoilers)
the Ultra Beast missions
in Sun, I'll be able to trade over all the Sun exclusives and finish my Alola Dex in Moon. ^-^ Honestly, I'll probably end up finishing my Alola Dex in Sun as well 'cuz I'm crazy like that. xD

Unfortunately, I think I'm finally burnt out on Pokemon. I thought Sun/Moon would bring me back but there's just not enough changes to the core loop to keep me going on a long adventure like this.

I did enjoy the increased challenge. The Elite Four plus follow up fight was way tougher then stuff I encountered in past games. But the largely same core gameplay combined with an increased focus on a dull story (seriously Lillie, please shut up and let me play!) really burnt me out quick post 2nd island.

Demoli

So, for the swap shiny method, do you ust hatch an ivnentory of magikarps at a time, then swap the slot that would be shiny and it keeps the shinyness?

Are the IVs and nature locked o the karp egg or the new egg? the image i saw explaining left me a bit confused.

Cause i'm nearing 450 hatched beldum eggs with masuda+charm and i'm losing hope.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Ahnez

Anyone know the answer to this?
The new egg will have the same inheritances and rolls from the magikarp egg

If the shiny karp inherited hp, atk, def from the ditto, and satk, sdef from the parent magikarp, then the new egg will inherit hp, atk, def from the ditto again, and satk and sdef from the other parent.

The random rolls will be the same too, so if the shiny karp is timid and has 27 speed, the new egg will be timid with 27 speed

Edit

Ah, you're breeding a beldum

Beldum is genderless, so you will have to do the reject egg thing

Ahnez

So if its genderless i can't do the swap method? that sucks.

Also, you can confirm beldum is nto shiny locked right?
Only legendaries are shiny locked

And you can do the method with genderless/fixed gender pokemons, but it requires extra steps

Opa-Pa

If you're worried about repetition in general then don't worry, this is the most different Pokemon game by a large margin. But as far as fighting grunts go, there aren't that many fights. They'll show up sporadically until the 3/4 of the game where the team gets real focusband and the overall story reaches its climax... It's extremely condensed tho, to a fault, so that doesn't take too much time.

The first two hours or so have some annoying hand-holding, but the rest is pretty good and this time there are trainers who use real strategies with decent teams, it's great.

Could someone please be a dear and help me evolve a polygon? I've got a few extras that are perfect in every stat except speed. And I think 29 in defense. Hell ill give you a cosmog if you help me out. I just don't wanna train the guy until I know it's a porygon2.

Red

Could someone please be a dear and help me evolve a polygon? I've got a few extras that are perfect in every stat except speed. And I think 29 in defense. Hell ill give you a cosmog if you help me out. I just don't wanna train the guy until I know it's a porygon2.
I can help if you are available right now. Tough to coordinate these things.

ionitron

Someone save me from trying to hatch a shiny miniors. This will not be ending anytime soon.

If no one gets back to you in an hour I'll be home by then and help you out. No worries about the cosmog though lol, that's not necessary.

Could someone please help me out with an adamant and/or modest synchronizer?
I don't have much to offer except some timid breedject meowths in moon balls with parting shot and foul play and 0 attack IV's. I also have some spare evolution stones.
Thanks
FC: 0834-1025-5907
IGN: Sandy

Regiruler

NO FUCKING WAY

THE FINAL ZYGARDE CELL WAS JUST HIDDEN IN A CORNER ON PONI PATH?

I wasn't even looking for it, I was just going to get the Emboar I scanned.

Took my 12 full boxes of Magikarp, but at 2:30 last night, on what would have been my first Magikarp of my 13th box, I got a shiny again. I immediately reloaded my save, pulled out my Magikarp, put in a Rowlet, and now I have a shiny Rowlet! I don't think I can go through that again for Popplio, I might just try to GTS that.

DNAbro

Decided I'm going to work on a Alola living dex. Only ones I'm worried about currently are getting another Type:Null and Cosmog and Cosmoen.

Crocodile

Anybody got any high quality Pichus (or Pichu eggs)? Modest (preferably) or Timid with some number of max IVs but it doesn't have to be 6IV. I ask since I know alot of people here are just sitting on mounds of eggs they aren't using.

>Pheromosa used High Jump Kick!
>Glaceon avoided the attack!
>Pheromosa kept going and crashed.

>Glaceon used Blizzard!
>Pheromosa fainted.

So my 90% (or 81% if it was holding Brightpowder/Lax incense) attack misses, but they hit with a 70% Blizzard with no Hail...BS.

Articalys

>Pheromosa used High Jump Kick!
>Glaceon avoided the attack!
>Pheromosa kept going and crashed.

>Glaceon used Blizzard!
>Pheromosa fainted.

So my 90% (or 81% if it was holding Brightpowder/Lax incense) attack misses, but they hit with a 70% Blizzard with no Hail...BS.
Always relevant:
comic259nkoyd.png

http://awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=072312
RNG in any RPG is a bitch.

I mentioned it before, but the only reason I won a single match with an awful team in the Battle of Alola was because I got stupid lucky and managed to hit through a Double Team and dodged two Zen Headbutts.

Spent so long grinding in Poni Gauntlet that I found a shiny Bewear. I guess that's not unexpected. I bet there's a an unnaturally high amount of shiny Pelipper, Bewear, Granbull, Raticate, Golduck, and Gumshoos out there. I even remember some people in this thread complaining about their first shiny being a shiny Granbull or Pelipper.

Always relevant:

RNG in any RPG is a bitch.

I mentioned it before, but the only reason I won a single match with an awful team in the Battle of Alola was because I got stupid lucky and managed to hit through a Double Team and dodged two Zen Headbutts.

Never saw that image before hahahaha! RNG will always go out of it's way to prove people wrong.

I'm sorry, 2 ZEN HEADBUTTS!?

alvmew

Anybody got any high quality Pichus (or Pichu eggs)? Modest (preferably) or Timid with some number of max IVs but it doesn't have to be 6IV. I ask since I know alot of people here are just sitting on mounds of eggs they aren't using.

If anyone doesn't, I will probably have some by day's end. Think this is going to be my next breeding project. :)

Mine too. I'm going for a modest Alolan Raichu in a Fast Ball. I really wish I could get an Alolan Raichu with Surf though. Maybe they will make it an event.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I always seem to be lacking a good Thunder type in these games...

ionitron

If anyone doesn't, I will probably have some by day's end. Think this is going to be my next breeding project. :)

Hey, did you ever get your Minior? I'm taking on that using the Minior that you gave me, I both really appreciate it and also feel your pain, lol.

Got to 42 straight wins in Battle Tree Super Singles with Pheromosa, Wishiwashi, and (Mega) Salamence. The loss was my own fault for having Return on Salamence instead of Double Edge and I may replace Rock Slide with Earthquake as Poison and Electric types made things harder. In the end, I'm pretty satisfied with my results and netted a ton of BP in the process!

alvmew

Hey, did you ever get your Minior? I'm taking on that using the Minior that you gave me, I both really appreciate it and also feel your pain, lol.

Not yet. I stopped because I was getting frustrated. Since then I've hatched a shiny (Riolu), which upsets me that it wasn't Minior but all in due time haha

I don't get this Poke Pelago thing. I had wild Pokemon visit, but then the next day they were gone. What was I supposed to do in that time?

Regiruler

Man, my minior has been getting quite a few near kills. I may have to take the effort and bring it to 100 just to fix its slightly imperfect offenses, as it's only just barely surviving water attacks as it is so I can't take much more out of its Hp EVs.

The team makeup is fun though. Silvally and Golisopod are a good pair.

Ok.. can someone explain Toxic Spikes to me?

It's feels underwhelming. Is it like regular spikes where the more layers you put the more Toxic damage the poison will do?

If so how many layers should I aim for?

Top Bottom