• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun Version/Moon Version Review Thread

Mendrox

I am guessing 2DS is just as bad? Disappointing, don't want to update this late in the cycle.

Yes it is. It's horrible this time and it does get even worse later on.

Edit: Oh thought it was about the FPS drops. Guys - the FPS drops are fucking horrible and not rare.

Was that not the case with the demo? Interesting.

I'd forgotten some 3DS games (MH4 in 2013, Smash in 2014, MHX) rebooted the original 3DS system to load into a "light" OS mode with disabled functionality in order to free up more RAM for the game.

Berordn

No it doesn't and Nintendo will probably never introduce that if they can help it, though they might not have a choice with switch if the saves are no longer on the game cards.

Moreover the size of the save data (and the fact that the game actually has a second backup save it uses in case of save corruption) makes it unfeasible for the 3DS games to have multiple saves.

The impression I'm getting is there are two separate problems. Frame rate drops which everyone gets but the game sitting around doing nothing after you've selected attacks is o3DS only?

I know in Gen VI hordes had a similar issue (you would hit run then about 5 seconds later the game would tell you if you got away safely or not). Shame its been added to doubles. As for why...the pause is probably loading of some sort due to having to unload things (Sun/Moon use extra RAM like SSB did on o3DS but maybe this was not quite enough speaking of which...).

I wonder if turning move animations off could help (if it is move animations being loaded in them being disabled should stop them needing to load).

It's like SSB for 3DS. The system effectively reboots to free up some RAM on o3DS that was used for things like the web browser (so those no longer work).

This happens on n3DS too but it's pretty rare and whenever it happens it's about 2 seconds max. Happens mostly in doubles, especially after the trainers intro and when they throw their first pokeball (I'm guessing loading 4 models at once isn't instant).

I wonder if turning move animations off could help (if it is move animations being loaded in them being disabled should stop them needing to load).

I play with battle effects off and it happens still.

Espada

Yeah, as much as I love my 3DS games the handheld itself is a piece of shit. That awful startup time basically kills any soft resetting on the old 3DS. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that this is the last GF pokemon game on the console.

TeegsD

As much as that slow boot up and frame drops suck, its not enough to get me to upgrade my old 3DS or my girlfriends 2DS. In reality, this will be the games we play for a while so sleep mode will be a god send. Ridiculous that it's occurring to begin with though, but at this point I can only hope GF transitions to the Switch

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
GAT DAMN

0wfk0Pf.jpg

My brain is ready to cease any function not mandatory for playing Pokémon

See you on the other side GAF

Hinchy

Yeah, as much as I love my 3DS games the handheld itself is a piece of shit. That awful startup time basically kills any soft resetting on the old 3DS. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that this is the last GF pokemon game on the console.

PROTIP: You can instant soft reset with L+R+Select without actually rebooting the game. Feature has been around since X/Y.

Am I the only one slightly annoyed that "Version" is in the thread title? (they don't do that anymore)

No. Trademark-wise, in-game-wise, and everything-else-wise, the title of this thread is simply inaccurate.

I'm going in with modest expectations. No pokemon game will captivate and engage me like Pokemon Gold/Silver did back in the day, but I do hope this game keeps me motivated to play throughout.

And hey this game comes out tomorrow night...where't the OT?

taco543

Got my pre load of sun downloaded, waiting on my double pack with steelbook from amazon to ship, I'M FUCKING READY!

Shikoba

I'm going in with modest expectations. No pokemon game will captivate and engage me like Pokemon Gold/Silver did back in the day, but I do hope this game keeps me motivated to play throughout.

And hey this game comes out tomorrow night...where't the OT?

The OT went up, but too early. Needs to be unlocked.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When I play Pokemon games I don't ever turn the system off though. I just close the lid and then plug it in.

Wichu

Is charmander in this Game?

Not until the Pokémon Bank update in January. It's not found anywhere in Alola, but once Bank is updated people will be able to transfer theirs from X/Y; at that point it should be easy to find someone who will give you one.

How is it running on 2DS?
Lmao that is pathetic. I need to see battles before I make a purchase decision, but this is quickly leaning into no-go territory.

I'd say I can't wait for us to be done with the 3DS line of hardware, but who am I kidding. Gamefreak doesn't inspire confidence and I'm sure the next installment will be terribly optimized too.

How is it running on 2DS?

Lmao that is pathetic. I need to see battles before I make a purchase decision, but this is quickly leaning into no-go territory.

I'd say I can't wait for us to be done with the 3DS line of hardware, but who am I kidding. Gamefreak doesn't inspire confidence and I'm sure the next installment will be terribly optimized too.

From what I read it runs really well on the N3DS with maybe a minor drop during Doubles and Totems battle.

And

Frame drops with the O3DS and 2DS during doubles and Totem battles with everything else running almost the same as the N3DS. I don't think it's terribly optimize, I think it the 3DS hardware and that it's simply old at this point.

Koppai

I'm on Ula’Ula island now bout to partake in another trial. I haven't really ran into alot of the new Pokémon yet.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Did ORAS load up faster on New 3DS too? It did take a bit of time on regular 3DS.

Teknoman

Game shipped but it would be nice if it was a surprise delivery later today. At any rate, im gonna attempt to bug people into having early game battles, since I really havent had the chance to do that since...well local people with X/Y.

The loading on older 3DS isn't that big of a deal. It seemed like a huge deal for Smash but I didn't load it all that often, I'd just leave the game in sleep mode.

But yeah, performance wise it is time to drop 3DS.

Litri

Who cares about the f***ing framerate?? It's not like Moon and Sun would make for a nice round-up at Digital Foundry, guys. I accepted this in Pokémon X&Y. Let's enjoy what is probably the best Pokémon in a decade.

SlickVic

Dan was speaking a bit about playing Sun/Moon on the last Bombcast. Pretty sure Giant Bomb's never reviewed a Pokemon game before. Wonder if this might be the first.

Top Bottom