• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun Version/Moon Version Review Thread

UberTag

You missed the Garchomp and Flygon lines in Sun and the Metagross and Goodra lines in Moon.
We were able to confirm yesterday that all 4 of these lines are available in both games (along with the Vanilluxe and Gigalith lines).

The pre-evos for Goodra, Garchomp and Vanilluxe all show up as additional SOS encounters that are randomly tapped for certain routes in place of the allies that are normally called. This data was excluded from the original encounter dump which led to confusion that more pokemon were exclusive than actually are.

Those 10 per game (technically, 15 counting pre-evos) are locked-in exclusives and cannot be obtained without trading.

Lkr

my amazon preorder won't be delivered until next week :(
not sure if it is really worth it to pay $10 more to get it from a store

We were able to confirm yesterday that all 4 of these lines are available in both games (along with the Vanilluxe and Gigalith lines).

The pre-evos for Goodra, Garchomp and Vanilluxe all show up as additional SOS encounters that are randomly tapped for certain routes in place of the allies that are normally called. This data was excluded from the original encounter dump which led to confusion that additional pokemon were exclusive than actually are.

Those 10 per game (technically, 15 counting pre-evos) are locked-in exclusives and cannot be obtained without trading.

Ah ok, I guess I missed that. Thanks for clarifying!

Menitta

my amazon preorder won't be delivered until next week :(
not sure if it is really worth it to pay $10 more to get it from a store

You can either spend the $10 more, fight a store crowd, and get it day of, or you could spend less, not fight a crowd, but get it 5 days later. I'm doing the latter because this is also Nintendo'a most preordered game ever, let alone a new Pokemon game. Going to a store will be a nightmare.

Has there been any specific talk about difficulty? Is the game still dead easy?

I don't use the exp share and switch my team around as I find new pokemons. I'm slightly underleveled compared to totem pokemons. I have used more X battle items like X Defense than I ever did in any other pokemon game combined.

I imagine if you use the exp share the game becomes the sweep fest most pokemon games are.

dickroach

just saw I pre-ordered the Sun/Moon steelbook from amazon a while ago. cool
time to run thru the game with all 3 starters. what what

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
People saying Hoenn and Sinnoh are the worst when Kanto exists lol

From a gameplay perspective and considering only the design of the region's routes and visuals rather than anything else associated with the game, I think Hoenn is fairly clearly the worst. The back half of the game is an absolutely painful slog involving far too much Surfing. All of those routes look almost identical because, well, you're out at sea, and they all have almost identical encounter tables. There's only so many Wingull and Tentacool you can cope with. It's a shame because I think the first half is quite strong, but everything after Winona is a sharp downhill slide.

Kanto and Johto are certainly a great deal plainer than the others, probably because of the graphical limitations of the time. They're similar but have slightly different problems. Kanto's problem is that because it had the luxury of being first, it didn't really do anything to capture a coherent theme to define itself. It's just... a series of nondescript paths and towns. There are a few stand-out points - Lavender Town, for example - but it's a rather plain affair. The one great strength it has is relative non-linearity, a big weakness of a lot of the other regions. Johto is interesting because it sort of makes Kanto's theme clearer by contrast: Kanto is suburban Japan, Johto is rural Japan, with more of the traditions and iconography of Japanese history. But precisely because they feature together, Johto ends up rather on the small side. I don't think that's necessarily a problem insofar as it means Johto is worse, but I felt it had more to give.

Sinnoh, I think, is the best region. I'm not a fan of Kalos, and I don't think I'm a fan of Alola. Both feel a little bit too much like caricatures. They overexaggerate their thematic bases - everything in Kalos screams 'France' with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face. Sinnoh manages to do a good job of subtly differentiating itself from the previous three generations, especially in Platinum where the colder side is played up (and I think it is fairest to judge Sinnoh on Platinum). It's still quite linear, but the sprawling and winding nature of the map 'hides' that much better than the later generations starting from Unova, which are dull A to B affairs. The locales are all reasonably interesting and they all contribute to the world-building, something much more strongly present in Sinnoh than any of the other titles.

If forced to rank, I think I'd tentatively say that Sinnoh > Johto/Kanto > Unova > Kalos > Hoenn. From what I've seen of Alola, it probably slots in between Unova and Kalos.

.JayZii

Banned
Just catch an extra of version exclusives and trade them on GTS, everyone. Pick your version based on legendaries and time of day considerations.

They didn't get rid of gts, did they?

It ain't that big of a deal.

Uh, it kinda is for me.

The Pokemon won't share your OT name, meaning you can't nickname it, it will disobey you in the early moments of the game (VERY annoying when you're trying to replace your starter), it'll get more experience points than the rest of your team, meaning it easily becomes overpowered in comparison to the rest of them, and using a traded 'mon has always taken the personal experience away from raising it (again, for me).

I just don't get why people seem so confused by someone wanting to use a Pokemon that's theirs.

Uh, it kinda is for me.

The Pokemon won't share your OT name, meaning you can't nickname it, it will disobey you in the early moments of the game (VERY annoying when you're trying to replace your starter), it'll get more experience points than the rest of your team, meaning it easily becomes overpowered in comparison to the rest of them, and using a traded 'mon has always taken the personal experience away from raising it (again, for me).

I just don't get why people seem so confused by someone wanting to use a Pokemon that's theirs.
You could breed it.

Uh, it kinda is for me.

Ask for a female and breed your own.

DR2K

Banned
Doesn't solve my personal gripe of wanting to catch my own. I only breed for starter replacements. Again, this is just my own issue. I'm SUPER picky with Pokemon. :p

Agreed. This is my stance on this. I like the personal flair to catching my Pokémon.

Agreed. This is my stance on this. I like the personal flair to catching my Pokémon.

Doesn't solve my personal gripe of wanting to catch my own. I only breed for starter replacements. Again, this is just my own issue. I'm SUPER picky with Pokemon. :p
Well you don't really have a choice in that case lol. Either pick Sun for Vulpix or Moon for everything else it has. It sounds like you want Moon more anyway

Or just buy both :p

krpiper

I haven't been following this super close. What is there for post game content besides breeding?

Also does someone have a brief guide on breeding? It's interesting to be but has always seemed very complex

You can either spend the $10 more, fight a store crowd, and get it day of, or you could spend less, not fight a crowd, but get it 5 days later. I'm doing the latter because this is also Nintendo'a most preordered game ever, let alone a new Pokemon game. Going to a store will be a nightmare.

I am planning to pre-order it tonight at the largest Pokemon Center in the area and pick it up after work the day of release.

Wish me luck. lol

sirap

This game deserves every praise it gets. It really is the first Pokemon in years that's made me excited about the series again. Game Freak did a wonderful job shaking things up with the new location and art-style.

Milijango

Also does someone have a brief guide on breeding? It's interesting to be but has always seemed very complex

That depends on what you're aiming to get via breeding. You could look at this for a start.

There are dozens of mechanics involved in breeding, though none of them are very complicated. If you want better odds of a shiny Pokemon, just breed two Pokemon that were caught by players using a different language. If you want to keep a parent's nature, just make them hold an everstone. If you want to get egg moves, just make sure one of the parents knows the move you need.

It only gets hard when you want to control all of the above, really.

There is, at least in the story where you see the trainers at the same time as the pokemons. Maybe not online though.
The impression I'm getting is there are two separate problems. Frame rate drops which everyone gets but the game sitting around doing nothing after you've selected attacks is o3DS only?

I know in Gen VI hordes had a similar issue (you would hit run then about 5 seconds later the game would tell you if you got away safely or not). Shame its been added to doubles. As for why...the pause is probably loading of some sort due to having to unload things (Sun/Moon use extra RAM like SSB did on o3DS but maybe this was not quite enough speaking of which...).

I wonder if turning move animations off could help (if it is move animations being loaded in them being disabled should stop them needing to load).

It's like SSB for 3DS. The system effectively reboots to free up some RAM on o3DS that was used for things like the web browser (so those no longer work).

Top Bottom