• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun Version/Moon Version Review Thread

Trey

Hoenn is the worst region by far. If it weren't for certain pokemon, I'd say pretend the entire generation never existed.

Berordn

I don't understand how anyone can think Sinnoh was the worst region? I find that opinion genuinely baffling. Like, not because Sinnoh is my favourite or anything, but just... it's definitely not the worst at any particular thing. It's incredibly well-rounded. There's aspects where it isn't as good as any other specific region, but as a whole?

Kind of like I state above, it's more of the technical side of how the region ran that ruins my opinion of it. The other side that Kalos is also guilty of is just how generic it felt (at least prior to Platinum sprucing the whole place up). Most of the region felt very by the numbers, as though they were just filling out the checkboxes to make Pokemon Region 4 rather than give it any unique identity.

While admittedly all the surfing got tiring after a while, I always remember Hoenn for its remarkably diverse, but still distinctly tropical setting. Unova may have been a pretty straight line to the end, but the sprawling urban setting tickled my fancy. Sinnoh (and Kalos) just felt like they were trying to repackage Kanto/Johto again. Thankfully in Platinum, Sinnoh got a bit of a facelift and became a somewhat colder climate, and that ultimately saves it in my book.

Ultimately that's why I'm looking forward to Alola. From the NPCs to the environment itself, it seems like it has its own identity.

Real Hero

people hating x and y story (who cares) and post game are forgetting all the great additions, amie, the online, wonder trade, the variety of Pokemon etc. Those games totally deserved good scores.

Sterok

I find it interesting that there are few notes on the competitive multiplayer. Not that I blame reviewers since it usually takes months to figure out what's broken and what really works competitively. But in most multiplayer games reviewers usually try to get a feel on how balanced the multiplayer is.

Well, we'll figure that out along the way. The main singleplayer adventure sounds great with lots of interesting features and challenges, which is what I wanted reassurance on after the disappointment of XY.

Espada

people hating x and y story (who cares) and post game are forgetting all the great additions, amie, the online, wonder trade, the variety of Pokemon etc. Those games totally deserved good scores.

The problem is that for all the good it did, its faults drag it way the hell down. And since it didn't get an updated version, it's stuck with those. A lot of the games people praise as being excellent are actually revised versions of a gen (Platinum, BW2). Sun & Moon look like they're some of the strongest first entries to a generation in a long time. Though I do think the lack of a postgame is going to hurt people's impressions of the games.

As an aside, I still can't believe how badly they dropped the ball with Team Flare, Lysandre, and Diantha. Those are things I don't even expect much out of in a pokemon game and they still messed up bad.

Kazooie

Banned
Can't wait.

What version are you guys getting?

Everytime I contemplate Moon I just picture Solaire of Astora looking so disappointed.

Trey

with how Pokemon's multiplayer community is, it makes little sense for a reviewer to throw out a hot take opinion that will absolutely be wrong probably within a week's time, especially when only people who are knowledgeable about Pokemon's competitive scene will even care about said opinion. it's moot to even pay lip service to it; just mention some of the mechanic changes and keep it pushing.

mkenyon

Banned
Just curious, is there anything noted yet in terms of difference between the N3DS and the regular 3DS? Wife has a regular, wondering if I should buy the N3DS for her specifically for this game.

Just curious, is there anything noted yet in terms of difference between the N3DS and the regular 3DS? Wife has a regular, wondering if I should buy the N3DS for her specifically for this game.

Gamexplain's review mentioned there's slowdown in the 2 on 2 battles on regular 3DS but not on N3DS

DylanEno

Hoenn is the worst region by far. If it weren't for certain pokemon, I'd say pretend the entire generation never existed.
Worst...region?

300px-Slateport_City_Mt_Chimney_artwork.png

Hoenn is incredibly diverse, with its many colorful beaches to islands to stormy tropical rainforests to landscapes basked in falling ash to cute little hot springs to bustling city life to a space station to mystical ruins inhabited by ancient legendary Pokémon to underwater caverns to a mountain cemetery to a treehouse city to a *BREATHES*

Kalos, on the other hand, is weirdly structured, poorly paced and cluttered with tons of stuffy, gaudy architecture, all of which equates to the region being largely forgettable. I can't recall a more miserable experience traversing a region in a mainline game.

Ultimadrago

Absolutely. ORAS barely even makes up returning to it at all. I still can't help but to love its Legendaries, however.

I find it interesting that there are few notes on the competitive multiplayer.
-New judge function lets you breed for 30's AKA HP breeding is way more accessible
-Rental teams lets newbs get BP items much easier
-Can now queue eggs
-EV training's as easy as last gen ocne you know what you're doing

Among other things that I can't elaborate on right now because I have to get to work shit just noticed the time bye guys

Dekuboy

Neo Member
-EV training's as easy as last gen ocne you know what you're doing

Among other things that I can't elaborate on right now because I have to get to work shit just noticed the time bye guys

I thought there are no horde battles anymore?

Also about the BP thing, I asked this once but no one said it to me. Is there a postgame battle facility besides Battle Royal. You can even spoiler it. Just tell me if its something like PWT or like Battle Maison.

Espada

Just to clarify: is there a lack of postgame or is it a lacking postgame?

It suffers from what plagues most first version: It has a post-game, it's just barely there that's all. It's something you see echoed in a lot of reviews. I wish they actually gave the first versions a meaty post-game, holding them back for potential updates is a scummy move.

Dekuboy said:
Also about the BP thing, I asked this once but no one said it to me. Is there a postgame battle facility besides Battle Royal. You can even spoiler it. Just tell me if its something like PWT or like Battle Maison.

There is, but the
Battle Tree is more like the Battle Tower of previous games with notable NPCs from the past showing up after certain streaks..

I thought there are no horde battles anymore?

Long story short you can chain pokemons that calls other pokemons for help. Done properly you can max out a EV in like a 7 chain.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
There is, but the
Battle Tree is more like the Battle Tower of previous games with notable NPCs from the past showing up after certain streaks..

Thanks anon
Is it still hard? Do I at least get trophies/achievments/badges or at least a diifferent colored trainer card if I win against all of them? I think in Gen 6 you get trophies for beating the sisters? I never did it but want to do it now. And in previous gens you got stars on your trainer card or got a different color on it

Also thanks @Helacious I know about the chaining but didn´t know about the EV thing.

Has there been any specific talk about difficulty? Is the game still dead easy?

Generally more difficult than most games in the series. It's not SMT, but you might have a couple of good close calls if you turn the battle Style to Set in the options menu and turn off the EXP share.

UberTag

Can't wait.

What version are you guys getting?

Everytime I contemplate Moon I just picture Solaire of Astora looking so disappointed.
Just so people in this thread have ready access to specifics on version exclusives before the question gets asked...

SUN

New Pokemon -
Alolan Ninetales / Buzzwole / Kartana / Passimian / Solgaleo / Turtonator
Returning Pokemon - Braviary / Carracosta / Rampardos / Whimsicott

MOON

New Pokemon -
Alolan Sandslash / Celesteela / Drampa / Lunala / Oranguru / Pheromosa
Returning Pokemon - Archeops / Bastiodon / Lilligant / Mandibuzz

Just so people in this thread have ready access to specifics on version exclusives before the question gets asked...

SUN

New Pokemon -

MOON

New Pokemon -

Damn Now I wanna get Sun instead of Moon

Sou Da

SUN

New Pokemon -

MOON

New Pokemon -
Fantastic.
👌

cackhyena

If I found Y boring and hated the navigation in hubs or wherever it was, am I gonna feel the same about this? Never played one before Y but I just couldn't make it past a few hours.

Berordn

If I found Y boring and hated the navigation in hubs or wherever it was, am I gonna feel the same about this? Never played one before Y but I just couldn't make it past a few hours.

By all accounts the control in areas without a top-down camera is improved.

But if you found Y boring it's probably not going to hook you right away, but it does deviate from a lot of the series usual traps.

So when the OT goes up can we have in the first post a guide to ev, iv, and breeding since its different from previous games? Also a guide on how to get hidden abilities of Pokemon?

Mik317

yes.

Its still Pokemon at the end of the day.

while there are changes to the formula overall...its Pokemon.

SUN

New Pokemon -

MOON

New Pokemon -

You missed the Garchomp and Flygon lines in Sun and the Metagross and Goodra lines in Moon.

Top Bottom