• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun Version/Moon Version Review Thread

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What's the highest rated Pokémon game? S/M seem way up there so far

This is about on par with the last two Metacritic wise, but it's worth considering that review scores have seen significant and continued deflation over the past five years.

What's the highest rated Pokémon game? S/M seem way up there so far

I just searched on Metacritic, SM have the highest (at 88) along with Y which also has 88. X is at 87 for some reason lmao.

Most of the other Pokemon main title games are at the 80s/upper 70s. Pokemon Dash and My Pokemon Ranch hold the lowest at 47.

I think if you were to look as a whole on all game sites, many reviewers claim the latest game is the "best" because of the improvements it makes upon the previous titles. You have to consider that the reviewers are also more than likely to be huge fans of the series though too.

HardRojo

I'd buy the shit out of these 2 games if I still had my 3DS (why did I lose it?). I'd love to jump on that $99 n3DS deal on Black Friday but I no longer have a friend who can bring me stuff from the US as he doesn't travel as often anymore :(

Realeza

Banned
Damn, I like the legendary of Sun more but the idea of playing with an inverse clock in Moon sounds appealing. Don't know which to pick.

LotusHD

Banned
Damn, I like the legendary of Sun more but the idea of playing with an inverse clock in Moon sounds appealing. Don't know which to pick.

Sun became the easy choice for me once I saw it also had Alolan Ninetales and the Midday Lycanroc (Although that actually might not be completely exclusive from what I've heard) Kind of played myself though because I had to drop an early pre-order of Pokemon Moon, and now apparently I'll likely won't get the game till the 22nd.
Still worth it.

Maxinas

X/Y was a fluke in reviews, it deserved lower for what it offered. Sun/Moon are in every way superior to X/Y and OR/AS.

my_body_is_ready.png

Maxinas

Normally I don't have a problem with Gamexplain reviews but I couldn't agree with this.

"With the Animé wrapping up one of its best season."

The Kalos animé was just flat out boring.

Pokemon XYZ saga was great, up until ash lost again, where i just dropped the series as a whole. The Sun/Moon anime is giving me flashbacks of Black/White, so i won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

The Lamp

Good scores as expected.

Still mad about totally out of proportion Pokémon with trainer models in battle. Each score should -2 just for the fact that Wailord is shown as the size of a small horse.

DylanEno

Normally I don't have a problem with Gamexplain reviews but I couldn't agree with this.

"With the Animé wrapping up one of its best season."

The Kalos animé was just flat out boring.
It lacked the humor, charisma and charm of the first couple seasons, but it's leagues better than everything post Gen3, at least. Phenomenal animated battles (fucking finally), actual character development, fun episodes (like Ash entering a mirror world where everyone are opposites of their other self; Ash and co entering a Pokeball factory and Meowth trying to capture Pikachu with a Pokeball; cosplaying as Pokémon, etc.)... It has its filler episodes, obviously, but it's still surprisingly good. Have you even watched much of it?

Plus, it brought us the best pikachu yet.

013vHd1.jpg

Aters

This is about on par with the last two Metacritic wise, but it's worth considering that review scores have seen significant and continued deflation over the past five years.

To think the pile if garbage that is X/Y got 88, same guys must have reviewed FE Awakening.

Fireblend

Banned
Pokemon XYZ saga was great, up until ash lost again, where i just dropped the series as a whole. The Sun/Moon anime is giving me flashbacks of Black/White, so i won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

You stopped watching before it got pretty good. Those last episodes that dealt with Zygarde/Team Flare were stellar. If only we'd gotten a fraction of that in the actual games...

SaniOYOYOY

Really want to pick this up. how much is 2ds again in europe (Netherlands)? found one in markplaats worth 60e but seems really fishy

btw #teamprimarina

Without willing to set too many Pokéfan pulses a-racing, that overflowing sense of style and character means that Pokémon Sun and Moon are genuine rivals to Gold and Silver as some of the very best games in the series

PULSE A RACIN'.

Disappointing to hear about all the hand holding on island 1 tho.

Dartastic

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Anyway, is there a way to transfer my Pokemon from the last 3DS game to this one? I'm sure there is, but I just don't know how. :)

Revven

This worries me. I have the original 3DS XL, I just hope it doesn't run like complete shit....

I have an OG 3DS since its early days, I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. :/

According to GameXplain, it sounds like it's pretty bad during Double Battles and the Totem Pokemon battles. Like, it sounded worse than X/Y with turns taking an extra few seconds because the trainers freeze up a bit before the attacks begin. And X/Y's main framerate drops were during Horde Battles with Double Battles being bearable. But now it sounds like it's legitimately slow for anything other than Single battles.

According to GameXplain, it sounds like it's pretty bad during Double Battles and the Totem Pokemon battles. Like, it sounded worse than X/Y with turns taking an extra few seconds because the trainers freeze up a bit before the attacks begin. And X/Y's main framerate drops were during Horde Battles with Double Battles being bearable. But now it sounds like it's legitimately slow for anything other than Single battles.

God damn. Not completely convinced, I just hope I can see for myself how bad the performance drop is if I could try the game on a OG 3DS/XL at a Gamestop or wherever before I buy. I doubt it though, most likely they will have the game running on a new 3DS...hmmm

DylanEno

I have an OG 3DS since its early days, I hope it's not as bad as it sounds. :/
If the demo is any indication, the battles at least are going to run like molasses. Especially during totem battles / battles that feature more than 2 Pokémon. I mean, it's been like that since XY, but it still sucks to see that it's even worse in Sun and Moon. How they can't get it to run well by now is astounding. The games aren't exactly doing anything particularly impressive visually.

SuperSah

Banned
Didn't expect it to review so well.

For someone who found XY boring but hardly touched ORAS, should I keep my preorder?

Wagram

"Story less intriguing than expected"

They were expecting a story in a franchise that has bottom of the barrel stories?

If the demo is any indication, the battles at least are going to run like molasses. Especially during totem battles / battles that feature more than 2 Pokémon. I mean, it's been like that since XY, but it still sucks to see that it's even worse in Sun and Moon. How they can't get it to run well by now is astounding. The games aren't exactly doing anything particularly impressive visually.

Have you seen what the hardware is like on the OG 3DS? Nothing substantially powerful....even though the visuals aren't mind blowing, it is just too much for the OG 3DS hardware. I don't know how the VRAM works, but on Wikipedia, it notes that it has only 6 MB VRAM and 128 MB FCRAM. So yeah, doing anything that involves multiple things might get strenuous..

LordKano

Now, who's surprised by these scores ?

This is what happens when you decide to skip a year to focus on the quality of the game, Game Freak. You should do that more often.

Top Bottom