• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X and Y will not receive a patch for compatibility with ORAS's new Megas

Usobuko

Banned
In this case with the creation of the Poke Bank and this taking place in the same generation, I thought this time, we would be able to send them back and forward for once.

I was mistaken though. Then again the Poke Bank doesn't allow you to have held items.

Dunno if I feel like getting all the Mega Stones, including the new ones in ORAS, again.

It's not just the stones you have to consider, how about all the battle items too like Choice stuff, leftovers etc? Trade them 1 by 1?

Lol GameFreak.

But I really don't think that sending new monsters backwards to older games was ever part of the promise of pokemon, and financially, GF has every reason to push the players onto the new game, which in my opinion is perfectly fair.

The other issues people have raised in this thread regarding skin colour and the engine they're using are both perfectly correct, though. GF needs to get it together on those points.

You are right, it isn't a Pokemon thing of sending them back, it doesn't make sense, it never did and in the past there was no way to patch games. However now in this day in age though they can patch games and since its on the same system, engine and still the same generation of pokemon (If it was a new generation, area and loads of new pokemon that aren't just forms, it would make sense if this happened and no one would be mad) this sounds possible to patch. I don't work from Game Freak so maybe it wasn't.

Financially though it wouldn't hurt them though. Why? You would still have to buy the game anyway to get the new stuff anyway.

Trainer stuff is stupid to me still though.

It's not just the stones you have to consider, how about all the battle items too like Choice stuff, leftovers etc? Trade them 1 by 1?

Lol GameFreak.

Don't remind me, it still irks me that they do this.

I'm not at all surprised about this or the removal of trainer customisation, I am however very disappointed. I think maybe it's because of the steps forward X & Y took along with the introduction of the Pokebank, but I feel far more attached to my trainer and team in that game than I have before. To me OR/AS feel like a side-story that I want to go through and beat once, then transfer what I've earned back to the main game.

Also look at it this way: Has any generation of Pokemon ever had releases with such a drastic gap in available content that the older title becomes completely unusable for competitive battling? You've always been able to trade back mostly everything aside from like a couple of hold items and forms.

I know, it's Game Freak. They've been cutting shit and making weird changes for no particular reason for years. I thought with X & Y they'd finally saw common sense though, that future titles would refine and expand on the great template rather than just continuing with the cycle of removing content and putting up more pointless barriers and restrictions.

Linkark07

Banned
Don't care too much about Mega Evolutions on X/Y, but no player customization in ORAS? Screw this. Now I'm less hyped than before.

ORAS features new Megas, attacks and abilities, none of which will be usable in battles against players with X and Y. The reason? Fuck you, pay us.
Can a mod please remove this bullshit from the OP? Nowhere does it say this, all it says is that they won't patch XY to let you obtain the Megas.

Wait, I didn't know about no more clothing and skin tone. This is bullshit, GameFreak.

And reacquiring every single item again will be a pain in the ass too, but that I knew when they revealed the PokeBank (still think it is bullshit, they should let us trade at least the Mega Stones).

Can a mod please remove this bullshit from the OP? Nowhere does it say this, all it says is that they won't patch XY to let you obtain the Megas.
Here is what they've said:
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/239469-junichi-masuda-shigeru-ohmori-talk-pokemon-omega-ruby-alpha-sapphire-video-interview said:
- Pokémon X / Y will be compatible with ORAS, but there will be no patch to make the primal evolutions available in X and Y. The same goes for the new mega evolutions.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/10/14/pok-233-mon-s-developers-on-virtual-console-absences-twitch-and-super-smash-bros.aspx said:
So for example these titles are compatible with Pokémon X and Y, you can battle and trade between the two series of games.
Presumably that means battle without the new features.

Dryk

Lol GameFreak.
You're going to grind for them for the 10th time and you're gonna like it. Pokemon Bank has been such a fucking joke, there was real potential for them to make moving between areas completely painless but nope, trade everything up again guys.'

Ugh I'm not going to bother with ORAS at launch. I've given Gamefreak enough chances to change.

Will OR / AS have character creation? I'm not sure I like the idea of the preceding game being better in some ways but worse in others.

Grexeno

Wait, since when did people not like roller blades? Those were rad.
Since you couldn't turn them off, your only options for movement that wasn't flying around like a runaway goat were constantly having the Dowsing Machine on or using the D-pad.

Wynnebeck

Banned
LOL FUCK YOU GAME FREAK. This was one of the reasons why I haven't sold Pokemon X off. Shit is getting traded off this week. Done with Pokemon.

Anteo

People expect new features to be patched for free for the old game? wut?
What's the point of developing a new game then if people are just gonna battle using X and Y?

LOL FUCK YOU GAME FREAK. This was one of the reasons why I haven't sold Pokemon X off. Shit is getting traded off this week. Done with Pokemon.

I'm sorry but lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

What did you want to do with X after OR/AS were released? Adventure in Kalos with the new Megas?

Not buy the new games and continue being able to battle against the entire competitive population?

Yeahhhh I hopped back on the pokemon train for the last 3ds game, but I guess that's where I get off. Not going to support this archaic bullshit, but no surprise coming from Gamefreak and Nintendo.

trixx

No character customization? That is so lame.

If theres no battle frontier/little post game i'm likely going to skip. Pokemon x was pretty wack, only thing i liked was the online.

Hmm thinking about it, there would be a very easy way to retain customization and yet stay faithful to the original characters which is just to use customization for Multiplayer only. It's a compromise sure but then both sides of the problem would be partially solved atleast :/

Ugh. I don't really see why they couldn't do it. 3DS can handle it...maybe Game Freak can't.

I think we'll likely have the same scenario with Rotom/Giratina/Shaymin where they can Mega Evolve (if playing ORAS to XY) but XY wont be able to see the changes, yet they'll still have the stat boosts.
Although its not really clear how the text would be in XY tho...maybe "The opposing X's stats have increased!"

Mr-Joker

Banned
Since you couldn't turn them off, your only options for movement that wasn't flying around like a runaway goat were constantly having the Dowsing Machine on or using the D-pad.

Oh god the Roller stakes where so got damn annoying and I was baffled to why Game Freak didn't give me the option to take them off.

It was one of the things I disliked about Pokémon X and Y.

Someone's mad and is kinda behaving like a baby throwing his rattle out of the pram.

Why not buy Pokémon OR/AS, transfer the Pokémon over via Bank trade some derp for the Items and then trade Pokémon X in and boom you have the lastest copy with both X/Y and OR/AS mega.

Holy hell.... WHY?!

Because they weren't in the original so they aren't going to be in the remake, despite Game Freak making other changes that weren't in the original either.

Yeah it doesn't make any sense.

TI82

Banned
This shit is straight up ridiculous. I'm fairly close to waiting for a massive price drop for OR and just getting fantasy life instead.

Who does that?

I'm pretty when Gran Turismo 6 came out, they patched all the new cars from that game into GT5.

No they didn't.

And when Capcom updates Street Fighter 4, you get all the new characters for free if you have the old version of the game.

LOL

Sandfox

So I'm stupid and entitled because I was hoping that a game just released less than a year ago is going to become obsolete and I should just get on board and buy the new games no questions asked? You all can stick with that. I'm out.

The way you described it sounds pretty typical for games that come out this often tbqh.

Dryk

I think the divide in this thread is stemming from people that have viewed the remakes as sequels vs people that have viewed them as spin-offs/expansion packs

What did you want to do with X after OR/AS were released? Adventure in Kalos with the new Megas?

Not buy the new games and continue being able to battle against the entire competitive population?
Buy the new games, enjoy them, strip them of all relevant items and moves and cloud ship them back to the region I prefer to breed and train in with the character design I actually like from the game that didn't come out a decade ago. With cloud saving, these games have so much potential that's just being lost. Why do I still need 2 3DSes to jump between regions it's two thousand and fucking fourteen.

Some people mentioned save incompatibility? They could've planned for that. Others mentioned that you could just clone the stones and send them back to people that don't own the games? Easy, make it so that only copies of X and Y registered to a Global Link account that has Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire registered can receive the new content.

Gamefreak is so good at wasting potential it hurts :(

I'm pretty when Gran Turismo 6 came out, they patched all the new cars from that game into GT5.

No they didn't.

And when Capcom updates Street Fighter 4, you get all the new characters for free if you have the old version of the game.

LOL

Aren't both of those franchises experiencing a large decline in players? You sure showed us!

No they didn't.

LOL

Those games didn't come out a year before the next game.

That comparison doesn't work.

I'm annoyed too but damn I could feel your anger from this post.

What's the point of developing a new game then if people are just gonna battle using X and Y?

That isn't what we are talking about. We wouldn't have gotten them for free since we would have to get ORAS anyway. Just ability for X/Y to communicate on the same level with ORAS would have been nice.

And giving the people the option to battle on either version would have been neat. I know that isn't what they want though.

Those games didn't come out a year before the next game.

That comparison doesn't work.

Wrong. Street Fighter is updated pretty much yearly.

Replace Gran Turismo with Forza, a yearly franchise. Forza 3 owners didn't get Forza 4 cars. And they certainly didn't get them for free.

I don't get it. Are you guys new? Do you not understand the concept of video game sequels?

Muzy72

Banned
First mainline Pokémon that I don't buy since I started playing Pokémon with Crystal. Not supporting bullshit like this.

I understand being upset that there is no trainer customization, but I can't believe anyone honestly expected them to patch the new mega evolutions into the old game. Like that would never happen.. They want you to pay the $40 for the new game (although, I'm not saying you should).

Zareka

Wasn't it because you could previously do this with other gens? e.g. I'm led to believe you could trade and battle with players using Ruby/Saphire/Emerald if you had FireRed/LeafGreen. Now we're in the same situation later down the line and we're unable to do that, purely because "lol, can't be bothered" from Game Freak.

I could be wrong with this, though. Please correct me if I am.
Wait, no performance improvements either?
lol nope. Game's gonna sell millions even if it averaged at 10fps; why put any effort in to improving it?

Ugh, I hate it when companies get away with crap like this. They don't need to put any effort in to their product because people are gonna lap it up anyway.

Wynnebeck

Banned
The way you described it sounds pretty typical for games that come out this often tbqh.

When I buy a Pokemon game, I expect a certain level of quality. Telling your consumers that the game they just bought less than a year ago is pretty much dead and having people try to defend it with ridiculous comparisons such as:

No they didn't.

LOL

Doesn't make me want to go out and buy the game anymore now than later.

Sandfox

I'm annoyed too but damn I could feel your anger from this post.

That isn't what we are talking about. We wouldn't have gotten them for free since we would have to get ORAS anyway. Just ability for X/Y to communicate on the same level with ORAS would have been nice.

And giving the people the option to battle on either version would have been neat. I know that isn't what they want though.
That really isn't true since trading is a thing.
Wasn't it because you could previously do this with other gens? e.g. I'm led to believe you could trade and battle with players using Ruby/Saphire/Emerald if you had FireRed/LeafGreen. Now we're in the same situation later down the line and we're unable to do that, purely because "lol, can't be bothered" from Game Freak.

I could be wrong with this, though. Please correct me if I am.

lol nope. Game's gonna sell millions even if it averaged at 10fps; why put any effort in to improving it?

Ugh, I hate it when companies get away with crap like this. They don't need to put any effort in to their product because people are gonna lap it up anyway.
This is basically the same as the older generations if you look at Mega Pokemon as formes. They've always been used to get people to buy new versions within the same gen and they're simply doing the same here.

When I buy a Pokemon game, I expect a certain level of quality. Telling your consumers that the game they just bought less than a year ago is pretty much dead and having people try to defend it with ridiculous comparisons such as:

Pokemon has been this way since 4th gen.

Replace Gran Turismo with Forza, a yearly franchise. Forza 3 owners didn't get Forza 4 cars. And they certainly didn't get them for free.

I don't get it. Are you guys new? Do you not understand the concept of video game sequels?

ORAS isn't a sequel, that's the problem.

This is basically the same as the older generations if you look at Mega Pokemon as formes. They've always been used to get people to buy new versions within the same gen and they're simply doing the same here.

True, but there wasn't any online patches for Nintendo DS games. Just DSi.

Unless I am wrong somewhere.

Sciz

Pokemon has had annual major releases since '09, at this point. Is the problem that there's actually a significant amount of exclusive content for once?

NeonZ

There were never this many forms before though. The incompatibility here will be much bigger than between any other Pokemon games of the same generation.

Still, it'll be amusing to see Ruby and Sapphire yet again become the lowest selling Pokemon games.

Street Fighter has only gotten updates ever since SSF4 though. They haven't tried releasing another completely standalone game priced accordingly. This isn't a paid update for X and Y, this is a separate game. Still, it's a separate game that was supposed to be part of the same generation, but now will have tons of incompatibilities with it, apparently. Previous remakes didn't need tons of new forms to sell, so the need to obtain them in that game could be enough, but it apparently wasn't and now Gamefreak is basically breaking their generation system...

I hope there's also a lot of new moves then. I'm excited, I got Pokemon Y and I don't even want to play it, is going straight to trading when Ruby comes out.

Top Bottom