• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

[url=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87975941&postcount=13037][/url]

Title(s) - Pokémon X/Pokémon Y
Platform(s) - 3DS and 2DS
Genre - RPG
Publisher - Nintendo
Developer - Game Freak
Release Date - October 12 (Out Now)

wec0N7K.png

Any discussion of certain information regarding any unreleased game elements goes in the spoiler thread.

UrlKSoL.png

RHgTjp0.png

Chances of getting at least a certain number of 31 IVs on a given Pokemon captured:

Code:
Wild:
At least 1: 17.34% (about 1 in 6)
At least 2: 01.35% (about 1 in 74)

Wild Friend Safari (guaranteed 2):
At least 3: 11.93% (about 1 in 8)
At least 4: 00.56% (about 1 in 178)

Wild No Egg Group (guaranteed 3):
At least 4: 09.09% (about 1 in 11)
At least 5: 00.29% (about 1 in 348)

RI1inT2.png

Shiny Hatching (Advanced)

Enter SV Info Here

SV List

gDYC0EA.png

At the very core it IS easy.

Controls

Tap to shoot balls. Hold to charge shots. Move with the Control Stick. Press L to block. D-Pad up to fly closer to the Pokemon baloon, D-Pad down to put more distance between you and the Pokemon baloon.

Gameplay

Try to shoot these balls into the white target markers. Don't get hit. Keep moving to avoid getting hit by the opponent's balls. At the beginning it is usually wise to keep using uncharged shots until the Pokemon baloon starts to emit steam and the white target markers are replaced by a single red one. To force this change you need to hit all of the white markers, if you are too slow they disappear. Unlike the white markers this marker won't disappear for a few seconds, making it the perfect time to sneak in a few charged shots and score higher.

After you've got some experience (and accuracy) you should begin to use more and more charged shots on the white markers, which will improve the time it takes you to clear the stage.

Training Lv 1: +1 EV
Training Lv 2: +4 EV
Training Lv 3: +12 EV

GENERALLY YOU CAN START AT Lv2. The training is easy enough and will give you more EV. After a few sessions change to Lv3!!!

Against the attack of the baloon you have two options: Dodge or block.
Usually you dodge the balls (keep in mind: You'll briefly stop moving if you fire a ball), blocking is a last resort for two reasons:

- It takes a few frames to deploy the block
- You cannot attack during the duration of the block

However, depending on your stats (I'll come to this later) blocking multiple balls is possible with a block.

Going back to dodging, usually enemy attacks follow a certain pattern. Mostly they are deployed at a fixed time in a fixed pattern. Like yourself, the Pokemon baloons can charge their attacks. You'll notice a purple glow around them if they do. Try to hit all remaining target markers ASAP, this can sometimes disrupt them.

Special enemy ball forms

- Giant Ball -> Keep moving
- Barrage -> Follow the pattern of the attack to dodge it (usually a spiral)

- Horizontal large balls -> Fly upwards/downvards
- Vertical large balls -> Fly left/right
=> Usually those two are used together. Flying in a circle is necessary to avoid getting hit. If you are confused the shield will be your best bet to avoid losing points.

Barrage of Horizontal Giant Balls: Wait until they are close. Slowly move up/down to fit in the narrow gap between them (or block)

Stats

There are Six Different Stats in Super Training:

Attack
- 4 points of Attack increase the "real" Attack stat by 1
- Increases the "damage" of your Balls

Special attack
- 4 points of Sp. Atk increase the "real" Sp. Atk stat by 1
- Increases the "damage" of your balls

HP

- 4 points of HP increase the "real" HP stat by 1
- Decreases the damage you take when an enemy ball hits you

Speed

- 4 points of Speed increase the "real" Speed stat by 1
- Increases the speed and accuracy of your balls

Defense

- 4 points of Defense increase the "real" Defense stat by 1
- Decreses the charge time of your Super Shots

Sp. Defense

- 4 points of Sp. Defense increase the "real" Defense stat by 1
- Decreses the charge time of your Super Shots

Training bags

They are dropped after each round. If you manage to get the medals you'll get dropped better ones.

Size S: +1 EV
Size M:+4 EV
Size L:+12 EV

You also can get certain special bags with unique effects, such as 2x EV, 2x stats during the training and more. Tap them yourself to increase the speed in which they are activated.

Secret training

After gaining all 510 EV two more levels of training are unlocked. You can earn unique items and better Punching Bags in this training, but it is far more difficult with unique victory and loss conditions.
Super Training is always harder at the onset. Your Pokémon won't be doing much "damage" per goal. So try using a punching bag in Core Training first. For example, say you want to max out your Attack. From the main Super Training screen, tap the punching bag icon in the lower right corner, and check to see if you have an Attack bag. Small bags give 1 EV, medium bags give 8 EVs, and large bags give 12EVs. Select, tap it rapidly, and you'll gain those points.

Of course, if you're just starting out, you probably won't have the appropriate bags. So go straight to Super Training. First you'll need to unlock all three levels, each of which has six games, one for each stat. For example, the Lv. 1 games have an HP game, Speed game, Attk game, Def game, Sp. Attk game, and Sp. Def game. They give 4 EVs for completion. The Lv. 2 versions give 8 EVs for completion, and the Lv. 3 versions give 12 EVs for completion. Use a Pokémon you don't care about to unlock the games, since they'll be gaining mixed EVs in the process.

The games ramp up in difficulty with each level. The balloon bots have more HP. And your shots are weak at first, but grow stronger as you go along. The different EVs affect them. For example, training for Attk makes your shots do a lot more damage. Training for Defense makes them charge more quickly.

Speaking of charging, that's the key to success. Use the stylus to move the aiming reticule over the target on the balloon, and hold it so the orange ring at the bottom of the screen fills up. Your aiming reticule will flash yellow, and then red. Lift the stylus off the screen the instant the reticule flashes red -- you will unleash a super-powerful charge shot that will do exponentially more damage.

Often it comes down to unleashing as many charge shots as you can. Sometimes you have to anticipate the movements of the balloon bot, since the targets might be on its wings or head, and often they move when they charge up to try and attack you.

Speaking of THAT, if you see them flash purple, you can avoid the incoming shots in a number of ways. Tapping L generates a shield you can hold a bit to absorb shots, but usually one enemy shot is all it takes to shatter it. I usually just keep moving, tapping the shield to be safe if the shots come near. You can go up and down in addition to left and right. You can also continue to return fire and charge shots while zipping all over the field. The enemy usually tries to track you, so keep moving and the shots will always be one step behind.

There are four different colors of balls you will use, depending on the Pokémon, with different properties. For example, when I was EV training my Shellder, he had a ball that was rapid fire -- it would make many weak hits in quick succession, rapidly adding up to massive damage. My Tyrunt, on the other hand, had slow powerful shots that did a lot of damage.

As you gain EVs, you'll see them reflected on the graph. The bar to the right of the graph fills up as you gain EVs; you'll know you're almost done when it's about full.

You'll also know you've gained all the EVs Super Training will allow in a given stat (252 EVs per stat, as opposed to 255 in the wild) because instead of the usual +12 gain in that category on the graph (assuming you just did a Lv. 3 game), it'll say +11, +5, etc, indicating it couldn't give you the full allotment, which means that stat is fully trained.

As you complete each game, you'll gain punching bags for that stat category. So alternate between Super Training and Core Training. Do a minigame, gain EVs and win a punching bag, then use the punching bag to get more of those EVs, so that when you go and do the minigame again, it'll be even faster since you'll be doing more damage, charging more quickly, etc.

My Tyrantrum was beating the Lv. 3 Haxorus minigame in two or three charge shots by the time his Attk stat was about full. Simply amazing.

Oh, and if you get a Double Up Bag, only use it if you plan to do a Lv. 3 game afterward. The Double Bag makes it so that the next time you do a minigame, you'll get twice the points, so using it before a Lv. 3 games means 24 EVs instead of 12! You get special bags like Double Up Bags and the cherished Reset Bag (which resets base stats) at random while your Pokémon is standing next to the invisible bag on the main screen.

I hope this helps!
In Super Training, you can only have 252 points (what we call EVs) in each base stat. However, in total you cannot have more than 510 EVs between all your stats. So no, don't train in all six categories. Pick two categories and stick with them. If you need to start over with your EVs, get a Reset Bag (awarded at random) to reset the EVs to zero. (This does NOT affect your level, so no worries.)

What people often do is they look at their Pokémon's nature and think of how they will use that Pokémon. For example, I just EV trained a Kangaskhan I want to move fast and hit hard. The Speed stat will be important; so will the Attack stat, which powers the physical moves I will be using. So I got a Kangaskhan with Jolly nature, which makes the Speed stat grow more and the Sp. Attack stat grow less. This is fine since I won't be using the Sp. Attk stat. A table of the different natures and what stats they increase and decrease is HERE. You can see your Pokémon's nature on its Summary page; also, its stat listings will have the "beneficial" stat in red, and the "low-growth" stat in blue.

So first you'll want to make sure your Pokémon has the right nature for what you plan to do. It's easy to breed babies with that nature if you make one of the parents a Ditto with the same nature and holding an Everstone -- the baby will be the non-Ditto parent and have a 100% chance of having the Ditto's nature. Hence why I'm always in here asking for Dittos of different natures. :)

(Also, pro-tip about hatching: Have a Pokémon like Talonflame with the ability Flame Body in your party as you race up and down the road outside the Day Care Center trying to get in necessary steps to hatch your egg -- they'll hatch much faster!)

Anyways, once you have a Pokémon with the right nature, I usually recommend maxing out the beneficial stat and the other stat you'll be using. So in Kangaskhan's case, I wanted Attack and Speed, so I did the Speed minigame and punched the Speed bags until it said his Speed stat couldn't go any higher (252 EVs in Super Training). Then I did the same for Attack. After getting 252 in both those stats, I still had 6 EVs left before I hit the 510 EV limit. So I just do one round of the HP minigame to get 6 EVs in HP.

Technically, you can get 255 EVs in each category, but you'll have to train against wild Pokémon and know which wild Pokémon give those EVs. I recommend sticking to Super Training. Three EVs' difference is negligible.

I hope this helps.
Three EVs' difference is non-existent. 4 EVs grants 1 point in that stat at level 100.

This is the reason that Super Training caps EVs for each stat at 252; it's a system designed for players who aren't already familiar with how EVs work, so it safeguards against common mistakes.

The effective cap for EVs is actually 508, because it's the closest number to 510 that's evenly divisible by 4. Those last 2 EVs serve no purpose, and it doesn't matter where you put them.

ZLDXqa3.png

Nugget Bridge - Introduction to Competitive Pokémon

The Pokémon Video Game Championships are the official competitive tournament circuit for the Pokémon video game series. Tournaments are held all over the world on five different continents with even a few select events online. Players compete throughout the season in hopes to represent their respective countries at the Pokémon World Championships.

The official ruleset for Pokémon X and Y have yet to be released, but they should be out in the next few weeks before the end of the month. The only part we know is that it will be Double Battles (Bring 6, Pick 4), This is the current known list of events (there is a list of dates for most of these events on Nugget Bridge):

Regional Championships
North America
January
  • Salem, Oregon
  • Long Beach, California
  • Orlando, Florida
  • Doswell, Florida
It’s expected that St. Louis, Missouri will have an event in January as well.

April
  • Seattle, Washington
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Athens, Georgia
  • Sturbridge, Massachusetts
It’s expected that Madison, Wisconsin and/or Kansas City, Kansas will have an event in April as well.

Africa
  • Cape Town, South Africa - March 14th, 2014
  • Pretoria, South Africa - March 28th, 2014
  • East London, South Africa - April 18th, 2014

National Championships
  • Bochum, Germany - May 3rd to 4th, 2014
  • Cape Town (unconfirmed), South Africa - June 14th to 15th, 2014
  • Indianapolis, USA - July 4th to 6th, 2014
It’s expected that there will also be National Championships in Italy, United Kingdom, Japan, and Korea. There’s also a high chance of a National Championship in Australia and next to none of there being one in Canada.

World Championships
  • Washington, DC, USA - August 15th to 17th, 2014

Please keep an eye on the Nugget Bridge Event page for more events. International events will be added once a prize structure and/or ruleset is announced.

The main page will announce WiFi tournaments as they happen. There are expected to be a few official tournaments between January and the World Championships.

Thanks to:
  • lordfroakie for the original |OT| (you should read it, it's great)
  • Horse Detective for providing the original banner and text images (it's a tough occupation)
  • ScraftyDevil for copy-editing on the original |OT| (super-editing powers are GO)
  • The work of every fan site that provides people with the info they need to play the game to its fullest (complete devotion...)
  • PokéGAF, for providing the quotes and the hype (get ready to ramp it up for the next release!)
  • Firestorm, for writing up the VGC section
  • And YOU (you star you)
A2qR2xz.png

there's a lot of great and useful info in the OP, thanks! as a longtime fan but casual player, Y has been very overwhelming. i haven't done any breeding or super training, and can't understand the whole affection thing.

Busaiku

This was like the smartest I ever played, but then I made the stupidest 2nd to last move ever...
ZRCG-WWWW-WWW2-JC3U

I don't know why I didn't bet on Draco Meteor...
If it missed, it was over anyways...
If it hit, I won...

GAAAAAAH

Neiteio

For the new thread:

ATTENTION BUTT JESTERS:

xQd2qpM.jpg

The following Bold Sturdy Carbinks trades (each with at least two perfect IVs) have been completed:

1) Charlie0108
2) DedValve
3) ohlawd
4) Mother Green
5) spindashing
6) MicH
7) AmICoolYet
8) Otakemegane
9) Unicorn
10) ED Cantu
11) Strigiday
12) Replica
13) haunted_taco
14) NEO0MJ
15) QP3
16) Smedwicks
17) Ralts42
18) Natiko
19) fek
20) SeZMehK
21) SkullHydra
22) C. Qwark
23) BraXzy
24) Kiri
25) EMT0
26) Macklelol
27) Devo
28) TWILT
29) Ultimadrago
30) LunaticHigh
31) CornBurrito
32) Ramyeon

33) XtaLarge
34) Aggrotek
35) Riou
36) B-Dubs
37) PBalfredo

If you're NOT in bold, PM me with your Friend Code and in-game trainer name.

My FC is 3952-7030-5695. My character name is Alizée.

Reposting, since the past thread was just murdered:

Well now I have a delimma. I bred the shiny Eevee to have a Bold Nature and Wish, and it has max IVs in HP, Sp.A, and Sp.D. It doesn't have it's hidden ability either. Should I go with another Vaporeon, or go with the newcomer Sylveon (Who has a better shiny)? My current Vaporeon is a Hydration/Rest variety.

Help me PokéGAF!

Kokonoe

Banned

Well now I have a delimma. I bred the shiny Eevee to have a Bold Nature and Wish, and it has max IVs in HP, Sp.A, and Sp.D. It doesn't have it's hidden ability either. Should I go with another Vaporeon, or go with the newcomer Sylveon (Who has a better shiny)? My current Vaporeon is a Hydration/Rest variety.

Help me PokéGAF!

I will halp

u can give me it

;)

Firestorm

I've finally started breeding and oh my gosh this is so much better than it was in Pearl. Already have a Charmander I would have died for in Pearl but gonna go for 5 IVs Perfect.

Help me PokéGAF!
I'd go with Sylveon, right now Cute Charm is better than Pixilate.
#TeamSylveon

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Help me PokéGAF!
Sylveon it is then.

TWILT

Banned

Help me PokéGAF!
Sylveon!

Firestorm

Didn't notice that Nugget Bridge link; is anyone going to try for VGC?
I've already been to the Northern California and Arizona Regionals that happened in October (though they were in BW2) and will be at the Oregon and Washington Regionals if anyone wants to say hi. I'll also be at the US National Championships and World Championships.

Hope to at least ladder with all you folks during the WiFi tournaments!

FSLink

Banned

Help me PokéGAF!

SYLVEON! :D

As cool as Vaporeon is, gotta jump on that Gen 6 Shiny train.

Aytrial

Help me PokéGAF!

I will halp

u can give me it

;)

No me.

qq more

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... NO.

I guess I'm going with Sylveon! Thanks all.

NO DON'T DO IT!!!!

STOP NO!! THAT'S A WASTE OF A SHINY EEVEE!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quest1

I've already been to the Northern California and Arizona Regionals that happened in October (though they were in BW2) and will be at the Oregon and Washington Regionals if anyone wants to say hi. I'll also be at the US National Championships and World Championships.

Hope to at least ladder with all you folks during the WiFi tournaments!

Hey firestorm, I asked this in the last thread but I don't think you saw it.

As someone who plays a lot I 3v3 and 6v6 on showdown, how do I go about getting into vgc doubles? I have no experience playing doubles, so what are some things I should look for? What makes the doubles meta unique and how do I approach team building. I know I could go over to nugget bridge, but I figured I'd start here for some simple and early pointers. Thanks!

Also, anyone wanna battle? Always up for 6v6.

Kokonoe

Banned
FYI Sylveon shiny is Blue and that'll make it not girly thus the reason everyone wants a Sylveon.

Don't worry man, I'm trying to get Perfect Shiny Flareon.
We're gonna win this.

I believe. Band together and channel the soul of Flareon.

Top Bottom