• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon XY |OT3| How's That? Owned, Suckah!

MicH

31/31/31/x/31/31 Tyrunt with Dragon Dance, Fire Fang, Thunder Fang, Ice Fang GET!
I need one these, man. If you somehow happens to have a female with these moves, it would be perfect (so I can use my already trained male one to breed). I can get some cool stuff, perhaps a female Serene Grace Togepi w/ Nasty Plot? Or some of my other stuff

So apparently, Power Herb + Solarbeam works with Magician Delphox.

:O
NO DON'T TELL PEOPLE MY SUPER SECRET SET :p
The best thing about battling is tricking the opponent. Like Jolteon taking out ground types with HP Ice just as they think they got me. Feels so damn good! Makes breeding for specific HPs worth it much more
If you ever wind up with any spare males with 5 of the right IVs for that, hook me up. >_> <_<

Holmes

Do the elemental fangs work with his Strong Jaw ability?
Yes! They're basically physical versions of Flamethrower, Thunderbolt and Ice Beam with a chance of flinching.
Awesome!

Have any reject males you wouldn't mind parting with?
Yes! Give me a few days though, I'm having issues with my 3DS (got the black screen of death, now internet connection problems on my replacement). But I will put one aside for you.

Ultimadrago

Yes! Give me a few days though, I'm having issues with my 3DS (got the black screen of death, now internet connection problems on my replacement). But I will put one aside for you.

Yikes, that's awful. I hope you get it worked out smoothly. And much obliged! I'll be sure to return the favor handsomely.

I thought Battle Institute only leveled things DOWN to 50? If it levels them up to 50 though that's fantastic, will make checking on babies 10x easier.

Aytrial

Well, I've got Gyarados now.

As per jchap's suggestion, imma breed a Skarmory. Second favourite Steel design after Scizor.

Holmes

IV breeding becomes soo much easier and faster once your collection of 5IV Pokemon expands. Gonna use my perfect Tyrunt to breed a Jolly Dratini with Dragon Dance, then use that perfect Jolly Dratini to make a Jolly Gibble.

Dragon Dance on Garchomp, yay or nay? The thing already has beastly attack and speed.

Battle Institute levels you UP to 50. It's the Battle Maison that doesn't.
Uh, yeah screw hidden power breeding. o_O I don't know how you guys can do that.
I checked the HP Ice spreads.

Turn out you only need a 30 in Def so it shouldn't be too bad, actually! Just breed like normal and once you get to the point where 31/X/30/31/31/31 is easy to get you just cross your fingers. Your chances are pretty good, actually.

upandaway

I used the Battle Institute. It does up-level to level 50, and it's great for IV checks. The only annoyance is that you have to reset the game to get out of it quickly.

Also the fact that you can't enter it with duplicate Pokemon

Battle Institute levels you UP to 50. It's the Battle Maison that doesn't.

I checked the HP Ice spreads.

Turn out you only need a 30 in Def so it shouldn't be too bad, actually! Just breed like normal and once you get to the point where 31/X/30/31/31/31 is easy to get you just cross your fingers. Your chances are pretty good, actually.
Just as you posted this, I was able to get a 31/X/X/31/31/31 Rotom. The only hard part about this all is that Rotom breeds with Ditto. I'd love to get a X/X/X/31/31/31 Ditto at least to make things easier.

I think I'll stick with it.

IV breeding becomes soo much easier and faster once your collection of 5IV Pokemon expands. Gonna use my perfect Tyrunt to breed a Jolly Dratini with Dragon Dance, then use that perfect Jolly Dratini to make a Jolly Gibble.

Dragon Dance on Garchomp, yay or nay? The thing already has beastly attack and speed.

Garchomp can't learn Dragon Dance through breeding. :(

RomanceDawn

Can anyone catch Mankey's in one of their Friend Safaris? I'm looking for a female captured in a Premier Ball(what ever the white ball is called) with the hidden ability defiant.

I've got lots of lucky eggs to trade for faster experience gains.

Holmes

Garchomp can't learn Dragon Dance through breeding. :(
Oh noo. It would be such a beast with Dragon Dance. How is Outrage on Garchomp? I've always been afraid to use it because of the confusion and not being able to stop it and use something else to fit the situation, and now that fairies outright resist it...

Oh noo. It would be such a beast with Dragon Dance. How is Outrage on Garchomp? I've always been afraid to use it because of the confusion and not being able to stop it and use something else to fit the situation, and now that fairies outright resist it...

Yeah Swords Dance is very Lethal on him though. I used this set last Gen:

Garchomp@Yache Berry/Focus Sash
Jolly EV's 252Attack/252Speed/4SPD
Swords Dance
Fire Fang
Earthquake
Outrage

It worked very well. You could use Dragon Claw over Outrage if your more comfortable with that.

Le Wow charges me 90k and I got Hatching O-Power from that guy. But Charizardite Y and Blastonite still cost 50k. What gives? Do I need more style or am I maxed?

Holmes

Yeah Swords Dance is very Lethal on him though. I used this set last Gen:

Garchomp@Yache Berry/Focus Sash
Jolly EV's 252Attack/252Speed/4SPD
Swords Dance
Fire Fang
Earthquake
Outrage

It worked very well. You could use Dragon Claw over Outrage if your more comfortable with that.
This looks good. How useful is Fire Fang? I think Poison Jab might be more useful now with the emergence of fairy types.

This looks good. How useful is Fire Fang? I think Poison Jab might be more useful now with the emergence of fairy types.

Yeah Poison Jab is solid. Its to bad he doesn't learn Thunder Fang, because Azumarill and Togekiss are going to be the most used Fairy types. And it wipes out Gyarados. But Fire Fang is needed for Skarmony and Ferrothorn.

Edit: I guess Poison Jab would be better than Thunder Fang anyway. I thought Togekiss was 4Xweak to Electric.

I wish that in the next game, some of the sounds don't interrupt the flow of music in a batle. E.g. When one of my Pokemon levels up, there's a sound that stops the music for a bit. I wish there's a sound but the music isn't interrupted for a split-second.

Minor quibble for me :p

And Mega Kangaskhan... Still figuring him out. Best answer I have is Prankster Klefki with Reflect and then T-Wave to at least disable the bastard, halve his Attack and get the jump on him in following turns, but even then Sucker Punch means no one is safe. His existence has hamstrung a number of 3v3 battles, where I see him in Team Preview and no one else on the enemy team would necessitate Klefki, but I send in Klefki anyways just in the event of a Kangaskhan lead, and often this imbalance has jeopardized my core.

Good stuff!

I haven't pinned down a definitive counter to Mega Kangaskhan yet, but Scarf Chandelure can 2HKO it with Heat Wave and is immune to Fake Out. Other than that I mostly just run priority moves (Mach Punch Breloom, Bullet Punch Scizor) and hope for the best.

Wichu

I haven't pinned down a definitive counter to Mega Kangaskhan yet, but Scarf Chandelure can 2HKO it with Heat Wave and is immune to Fake Out. Other than that I mostly just run priority moves (Mach Punch Breloom, Bullet Punch Scizor) and hope for the best.

Rocky Helmet is a fun hold item to use. Put it on a Rough Skin Pokémon (or Ferrothorn) and watch them lose half their health on a Fake Out. I don't think Kangaskhan can one-shot (two-shot?) Ferrothorn with Power-Up Punch, but I haven't tested it yet.

Quest1

Hey, I read yesterday that you got disable onto gengar. How?? I really want sub disable gengar and thought I would have to wait til December, but if you got him I can start now. Let me know please or if you can give me one of your breeding fodders I can give you whatever you want back, I even have an extra choice band you can have.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Here's something interesting I saw pointed out on /vp/...

I've noticed this a few times as well, but basically, in a Horde, sometimes a Pokemon is facing at an angle (in this case it was a Durant Horde), so the person speculated if perhaps that was a tell that that Pokemon was the Hidden Ability one.

When I get home tonight I'm gonna find some Hordes and test that.

DaBoss

Just spent an hour looking for a female Immunity Gligar. I swear these things don't exist
I can send you one.

I've noticed this a few times as well, but basically, in a Horde, sometimes a Pokemon is facing at an angle (in this case it was a Durant Horde), so the person speculated if perhaps that was a tell that that Pokemon was the Hidden Ability one.

I remember reading that they had a way to tell if a Pokemon had a HA, but I'm not sure. I thought that the orientation of the Pokemon is the way to tell, but it wasn't the case with a Zubat I caught, but I could be misremembering that. I can try it out more to see if it does work.
Hey, I read yesterday that you got disable onto gengar. How?? I really want sub disable gengar and thought I would have to wait til December, but if you got him I can start now. Let me know please or if you can give me one of your breeding fodders I can give you whatever you want back, I even have an extra choice band you can have.
Muk. I think Grimer as well.

rac

Banned

I've noticed that when getting infiltrator zubat. The first one facing that way had its HA after that the ones facing that way were all regular.

Neiteio

Nice! But... what protects Chandelure from being Sucker Punched for SE damage on one of those Heat Wave attempts?

Man, Mega Kangaskhan makes me nervous. That's why he's one of the three Pokémon I'm raising next.

Since I don't hide anything from you guys, might as well share my thoughts on the next version of my team:

Basically, I'll keep Carbink, Protean Greninja and Noivern since they're my MVPs and work together so well (I.E. Noivern moves in on Ground moves against Carbink, Greninja takes Ice Beams for Noivern, Carbink fortifies both, etc). But I'm thinking I'll:

- Replace Taunt on Noivern with Whirlwind to shuffle unfavorable targets and maybe inflict Stealth Rock damage in the process.

- Replace Klefki with Prankster Sableye running Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, Recover and Foul Play or Knock Off (tempted to go with Knock Off, actually -- if I'm to be as disruptive as possible, item removal is one way to do it). Quite simply, Prankster Taunt seems like the best way to stop most status-inducers. Prankster Will-O-Wisp and Prankster Recover is nothing to scoff at, either.

- Replace Aegislash with Rotom-W, running Will-O-Wisp, Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump and Chesto-Rest -- essentially a Full Restore to last a bit longer while Will-O-Wisp does its work. I considered Trick with a debilitating item, but it seems a bit situational and unpredictable given unfavorable item matchups. Volt Switch might be nice over Thunderbolt, but does it force you to switch? At any rate, another Will-O-Wisper to neuter the target's Attack and erode their HP. Along with Sableye, under protection of Carbink's screens, it could work nicely.

- Replace Mega Blaziken with Mega Kangaskhan, running Power-Up Punch, Sucker Punch, Earthquake and Return. I think this set is self-explanatory. Good coverage, and Kangaskhan would be Scrappy pre-Mega Evolution, for possible mind-gams with Ghosts. Although Sucker Punch kind of makes Ghosts a non-issue. Man, what a beast.

MicH

I can send you one.
That would help me out SO much! What would you like in return? I recently bred Scythers, Adamant Larvitars w/ Pursuit and Dragon Dance and Timid Larvestas.

Plus some of my older stuff; Midest Serene Geace Togepi w/ Nasty Plot, Modest Rotom, various Eevees w/ Wish and more

DaBoss

That would help me out SO much! What would you like in return? I recently bred Scythers, Adamant Larvitars w/ Pursuit and Dragon Dance and Timid Larvestas.

Plus some of my older stuff; Midest Serene Geace Togepi w/ Nasty Plot, Modest Rotom, various Eevees w/ Wish and more
No need to send me anything, but you're gonna have to wait a bit though. I only have one female left, so I'll breed it and get you a female one.

Nice! But... what protects Chandelure from being Sucker Punched for SE damage on one of those Heat Wave attempts?

Man, Mega Kangaskhan makes me nervous. That's why he's one of the three Pokémon I'm raising next.

Since I don't hide anything from you guys, might as well share my thoughts on the next version of my team:

Basically, I'll keep Carbink, Protean Greninja and Noivern since they're my MVPs and work together so well (I.E. Noivern moves in on Ground moves against Carbink, Greninja takes Ice Beams for Noivern, Carbink fortifies both, etc). But I'm thinking I'll:

- Replace Taunt on Noivern with Whirlwind to shuffle unfavorable targets and maybe inflict Stealth Rock damage in the process.

- Replace Klefki with Prankster Sableye running Taunt, Will-O-Wisp, Recover and Foul Play or Knock Off (tempted to go with Knock Off, actually -- if I'm to be as disruptive as possible, item removal is one way to do it). Quite simply, Prankster Taunt seems like the best way to stop most status-inducers. Prankster Will-O-Wisp and Prankster Recover is nothing to scoff at, either.

- Replace Aegislash with Rotom-W, running Will-O-Wisp, Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump and Chesto-Rest -- essentially a Full Restore to last a bit longer while Will-O-Wisp does it work. I considered Trick with a debilitating item, but it seems a bit situational and unpredictable given unfavorable item matchups. Volt Switch might be nice over Thunderbolt, but does it force you to switch? At any rate, another Will-O-Wisper to neuter the target's Attack and erode their HP. Along with Sableye, under protection of Carbink's screens, it could work nicely.

- Replace Mega Blaziken with Mega Kangaskhan, running Power-Up Punch, Sucker Punch, Earthquake and Return. I think this set is self-explanatory. Good coverage, and Kangaskhan would be Scrappy pre-Mega Evolution, for possible mind-gams with Ghosts. Although Sucker Punch kind of makes Ghosts a non-issue. Man, what a beast.

Yep Mega Khan Wrecks standard Gengar! I am glad some of these old school Gen 1 NU Pokemon like Khan and Pinsir finally got some Love.

Top Bottom