• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon cries

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just remember that, no matter how truly awful the fan art, Mewtwo is still the coolest Pokemon.

1)Deep, MANLY voice that penetrates your brain.
2)Almost destroyed the world by literally flicking his wrist.
3)Kidnapped Nurse Joy and held her against her will for goodness knows how long.
4)Legitimately a better Pokemon trainer than Ash and everybody on the show.
5)EV and IV trained before it was cool.
6)Even in today's world, is able to go toe-to-toe with the very Gods of Pokemon.

Mewtwo is a boss.

Well... he's the byproduct of one of the gods own creations. And the actual GOD pokemon would still stomp him.

Galang

Banned
I love the cries. I hate seeing the games docked in reviews because of the "outdated cries" as I hope they stay a while longer than they already have.

Articuno/Staraptor are my favourite, but each generation there's a handful of ones I like. Been a while since I played so I can't remember.

hiryu64

tumblr_lihtgj7mvZ1qc4debo1_500.png

Chopper

Holy fuck I need this.
To be fair, I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in pokemon, despite the price. It's a beautifully produced little package and the quizzes are fucking awesome. Especially if you think you're a pokenerd. They don't get much harder than the cries though. There are hundreds of pokemon,for Christ's sake. How am I supposed to know any but the most distinctive?!

AlexBasch

Garbador?

Fucking hell, I'm glad I got out of Pokémon in the second gen.

By the way, I did use legendary Pokémons but they weren't my strongest team members by a long shot, they were basically tanks for resisting attacks when I needed to switch.

CorvoSol

Not necessarily. Arceus has more balanced stats. Well he has to get lucky lol.

I know Arceus has better stats, but still, with a Poison plate on he'd get maimed. It's Poison Type.

Still, while Arceus would have the advantage, I don't think Mewtwo would go down without a fight.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I know Arceus has better stats, but still, with a Poison plate on he'd get maimed. It's Poison Type.

Still, while Arceus would have the advantage, I don't think Mewtwo would go down without a fight.

If you want to go by story power levels Arceus has all the plates at once and can swap on the fly.

If you want to go by game then you can just make Arceus a dark type.

Deoxys because of form swaping on the fly would be another god tier story wise

Darryl

Banned
before this thread i never really separated the cries from the anime and video games, that is going to bother me a lot now.

the pokemon cries in the game are awesome though, regardless of version.

Wiseblade

This really helps illustrate how lame the designs of the Pokémon have become.

Maybe i'm just being nostalgic but I feel like the earlier cries have more character than the later generations, which just sound like low quality samples of real life sounds.

Garbador?

Fucking hell, I'm glad I got out of Pokémon in the second gen.

By the way, I did use legendary Pokémons but they weren't my strongest team members by a long shot, they were basically tanks for resisting attacks when I needed to switch.

Man, you think I'd be used to this foolishness by now...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
As much as I'm ready to defend a lot of accusations against some of newer Pokemon designs, Garbador is pretty horrible.

Idk
magneton.gif

At least Garbador has a theme to him

And if you look at his pre evo it's makes even more sense :p
200px-568Trubbish.png

The only people that hate the pokemon after the first gen are hipsters or people that never bothered to play the way more fucking improved games that came after.
Articuno's has always been my favorite. It sounds majestic and then there's a sudden ZAP at the very end.

So Atricuno is number one in your heart? :lol

Articuno's has always been my favorite. It sounds majestic and then there's a sudden ZAP at the very end.

Hell yeah.

And Garbador vs Muk is actually pretty symbolic of what people prefer in old/newer gens. I personally think Muk looks way better, it's simple and has some consistent pattern. Garbador looks like he has too many colors, really weird body shape, and an annoying facial expression.

Darryl

Banned
garbador is pretty bad by itself but it evolves from trubbish so it gets a pass. vannilish is the terrible one.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm they never made a mon as distinct as Kricketune eh?

garbador is pretty bad by itself but it evolves from trubbish so it gets a pass. vannilish is the terrible one.

Hell no, Vannilish line is actually pretty cool in a "fresh, weird but unique" way. Much better than generic "I die at the sight of rocks" dragon with poorer stats.

And Trubbish -> Garbador has a working theme on it. Grimer -> Muk was just like "hah I grow big and change color!" Trubbish -> Garbador is more on Trubbish getting so much trash that it explodes into a large pile of junk.

The Muk line is the embodiment of the old "get bigger and get angry eyes" stereotype for evolution.

Well, OK, Poliwrath is worse, but even so.

CassSept

Idk
http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/9846/images/magneton.gif[IMG]

At least Garbador has a theme to him

And if you look at his pre evo it's makes even more sense :P
[IMG]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/e/e2/568Trubbish.png/200px-568Trubbish.png[IMG]

The only people that hate the pokemon after the first gen are hipsters or people that never bothered to play the way more fucking improved games that came after.[/QUOTE]

I never said I love everything about Gen I and hate everything afterwards. Apart from nostalgia a lot of Gen I designs were indeed incredibly lazy.

Garbador may have a theme to him, but that doesn't change the fact he is incredibly ugly. Bleh.

Eidan

The only people that hate the pokemon after the first gen are hipsters or people that never bothered to play the way more fucking improved games that came after.

I don't think that's fair. I just grew out of the games, that's all. Don't have to be a hipster for that to happen.

And for the record, looking at the videos, I'd say all the generations had highs or lows. I just think the lows increased with each passing generation. Hell, my big problem with Gold and Silver back in the day was that I thought few of the new Pokemon compared to the Red/Blue ones. I don't envy the monster designers in these games. Must be tough coming up with new designs with every generation.

Anth0ny

I think it may be the opposite lol

I hear way more people who say "Everything went to shit after Gen I" than people who adore all the new Pokemon.

crazy black 2 loving hipsters

Nori Chan

This thread really makes me appreciate how awesome Pokemon was.
If there was a special on black or white 2 I would totally buy it.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I started to hate them after the 3rd gen. I really don't know why 3rd gen gets more shit than some of the later ones which are abhorrent.

CorvoSol

If you want to go by story power levels Arceus has all the plates at once and can swap on the fly.

If you want to go by game then you can just make Arceus a dark type.

Deoxys because of form swaping on the fly would be another god tier story wise

Well yeah, storywise I suppose Arceus would have to be a God still, although, the anime has also suggested that Mew was a God, and since Mewtwo is an enhanced clone of Mew (in the anime, anyway. In the games Mewtwo is the genetically altered son of Mew), I suppose the case could be made there.

Setting Arceus to Dark seems reasonable, unless Mewtwo has Aura Sphere.

Thank god Charizard also has natural sounding roars and growls in the anime rather than uttering his name.

Pretty sure Charizard still manages to growl "CHAR" at times.

This topic has made me want to play Pokemon again and also rewatch the first movie.

Seems like you guys hear this kind of thing a lot. I'll admit, I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold and Silver. Where can I go for someone to explain to me what the hell this is?

569Garbodor.png

A decent concept with bad art.
Like a lot of the new pokemon

I love Gen V's cries myself. They're all very fitting, from Musharna's psychadelic mumblings, to Gothitelle's Psycho chords to Scrafty's "Come at me, bro!" there's plenty of variety to go around. Special props goes to Krokorok's awesome electric guitar riff cries.

Anyone who says Gen I is strange, though. Some of them are really ear-piercing (here's lookin' atchu, Raichu) and some are just lazily reused (Charizard and Rhyhorn and Parasect and Mewtwo are the most obvious). I'm in the camp who thinks that the games have just gotten better with every new generation, so take that as you will.

Top Bottom