• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon cries

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The only people that hate the pokemon after the first gen are hipsters or people that never bothered to play the way more fucking improved games that came after.

No, I am completely on board with the fact that the later games are much better games. It's just that the majority of Pokemon designs beyond Gen 2 are forgettable and derivative of what came before. Totally unmemorable.

And this isn't a "better when I was a kid" thing because I was 22 when Red/Blue hit the U.S.

CorvoSol

I think it may be the opposite lol

I hear way more people who say "Everything went to shit after Gen I" than people who adore all the new Pokemon.

crazy black 2 loving hipsters

I like to think of myself as cosmopolitan in tastes. Every Gen has some I find really appealing, and some I find no good.

Gen I has Charizard, Mewtwo, and Dragonair. Gen II has Typhlosion, Espeon and Lugia. Gen III has Rayquaza, Tropius and David Bowie. Gen IV has uhm, nothing comes to mind, but it has something. And Gen V has the indomitable Vanilluxe, Darminatan, and that fire moth thing.

Actually, the only Gen with designs I would say I dislike is Gen IV. Gen 4 has the dumbest protagonist designs, and some of its Pokemon were really lame, like Darkrai. Gen 5 is a return to form, although B2 and W2's protagonists are incredibly dorky compared to the cool kids from B1 and W1.

I love Gen V's cries myself. They're all very fitting, from Musharna's psychadelic mumblings, to Gothitelle's Psycho chords to Scrafty's "Come at me, bro!" there's plenty of variety to go around. Special props goes to Krokorok's awesome electric guitar riff cries.

Anyone who says Gen I is strange, though. Some of them are really ear-piercing (here's lookin' atchu, Raichu) and some are just lazily reused (Charizard and Rhyhorn and Parasect and Mewtwo are the most obvious). I'm in the camp who thinks that the games have just gotten better with every new generation, so take that as you will.

They reused Charizard and Mewtwo's cries because they were so cool.

COOL TRAINERS:

OKAY TRAINERS:

WHAT WENT WRONG:
http://imgur.com/2Na5U

Note I only am speaking about the boys. No opinion on the girls
Hilda is the best of the girls

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think it may be the opposite lol

I hear way more people who say "Everything went to shit after Gen I" than people who adore all the new Pokemon.

crazy black 2 loving hipsters

Impossible, as objectively speaking every new game draws more audiences. :p

I don't think that's fair. I just grew out of the games, that's all. Don't have to be a hipster for that to happen.

Yeah but wouldn't that mean people who are more into the game see the variance much more?

Just sounds like a Gameboy vomiting out random sounds.

Well, if you refer to Gen 1-2, I agree. I really doubt you'd say the same to 3, let alone 4 and 5.

Oh my mind. Wow

Yeah Gen 1 in particular (and some in 2) have reused cries.

Nidoking is my text alert sound.

Anyway, it was nice listening to all the cries again. Good memories. They definitely get more unique and varied as the gens go.

Top Bottom