• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold/Silver for 3DS VC

Mr-Joker

Banned
I could maybe see myself actually getting into Silver again; think I had 80 hours in my original, lost somewhere, cart. Crystal would get a purchase from me for sure though since I never played that iteration and folk talk it up a bunch. Tried playing the VC release of Red that came with my 3DS but it being the exact same game as what I played in the original three titles had me falling off a couple hours in. Some "new" content would go a long way to getting me interested.

You're missing the entire point of it releasing on virtual console, why would you even expect them to add new content that didn't exist in the original version?

First they didn't give me Crystal remake. Now they won't give me Crystal VC. Why are you hating on the best Pokémon game, Nintendo?? :(

They did do a crystal remake it was folded in with Gold and Silver in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, which is more than what Emerald got in the gen 3 remake.

We won't give you Crystal so you have to buy both versions to get all the lengendaries. And we will release it after you bought both versions.

How can this company be so greedy and not even try to hide it?

Between both versions you can catch all Pokémon in the, barring a few that require gen 1 and are event Pokémon such as Mew and Celebi.

You can get both Lugia and Ho-Oh in one cart, just that one will be at a higher level and will not have its exclusive move.

I'm a bit confused about the time capsule. On pokemon.com they talk about bringing over your own Pokemon in red and blue to gold or silver, but how would you trade with yourself? Would you not need two 3ds, one with red/Blue and one with gold/silver?

Yeah that is interesting to how they will handle it, as I do want to buy it so I don't have to replace the battery but it would require me to buy it on the 2DS for trading purpose.

Plus after buying the Switch I have kinda moved on from Virtual console on the 3DS and Wii U.

Neonep

How long do you think it will it take for Nintendo to actually have a significant user base with the Switch? With all the supply constraints, they are selling out but that's because there are just very few available for purchase.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
this is dumb as fuck. GF has no reason to when the install base isn't there

Nintendo should just not release any Switch games at all until the install base is large enough, which will just magically happen. Because THAT'S not dumb as fuck.

18-Volt

Nintendo should just not release any Switch games at all until the install base is large enough, which will just magically happen. Because THAT'S not dumb as fuck.

Pokémon games have to have community. You can't build a community on a console that doesn't even have enough units on shelves. Otherwise next championship would be between just a couple of people.

Robin64

What's the issue here?

In Gen 2, shininess is determined by IVs - specifically, Speed/Defense/Special must be equal to 10, and Attack must be 2/3/6/7/10/11/14/15. Pokebank attemps to take this into account, but gets the role of the Attack and Defense IVs exactly backwards. Meaning, Pokemon that would be shiny in GSC lose their shininess, and other Pokemon will gain shininess.

Kyzer

Banned
Game Freak acts in the best interest of The Pokemon Company, not just Nintendo.

udivision

Nintendo and Game Freak aren't one in the same. People think that it's just legal semantics, but it is clearly not.

MTC100

Banned
NINTENDO

put all your games on the switch

jesus christ

Right? What's so hard doing that? I'd also buy the new Fire Emblem for the 3DS in a heartbeat if they were to release it on the Switch.

Well I guess as long as they can't catch up with demand for the system itself, they won't do much of that sadly...

bobone

Any word on if there will be physical Japanese boxes like they had for Red/Blue/Green? I loved having those in my collection next to the OG games.

MetalSlug

I could get it for my 3DS, but I'd rather have it for my Switch.

Hopefully it will be on the Switch once the VC is up and running.

What's the issue here?
Shinies in Gen 2 were determined by stats, specifically if the Defense, Special (Gen 2 still only had one Special DV despite splitting it), and Speed were all 10 and the Attack was either 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15. So the DVs of a shiny Pokemon would be something like 8/15/10/10/10 (HP DV was determined by the other 4 instead of being its own thing). When Pokebank updated this year they included a formula to make sure if a Pokemon was shiny in Gen 1/2, it would be shiny in Gen 7. The problem is, they screwed up possibly due to a rushed patch (there were more things wrong with the conversion process too) and Pokemon with the DV spread 8/10/15/10/10 were being counted as shiny instead.

tl;dr: Bank is reading the stats wrong and if you sent the Red Gyarados to a Gen 1 VC game before they patch Bank with G/S stuff, it won't actually be shiny anymore.

So for those wondering why there's no Crystal, I have a pretty good idea why. In Japan, Crystal has a building called the PCC (Pokemon Communications Center) that used the Mobile Adapter GB to connect to dialup servers and essentially worked like the WiFi features in Gen 4. Now, with how they mentioned they didn't want to do Gen 1 without being able to trade, they probably also didn't want to do Crystal without its biggest feature possible.

Now for other problems:
- They can't cut the PCC in the Japanese games because it's where you receive the Odd Egg and Eon Mail.
- While most of the mobile features were translated into English, they definitely weren't for the other international languages.

Either way, it would be too much work for a VC title.

Yeah there was some work done, but not enough:
wHiw1jE.png

[Taken from The Cutting Room Floor]

As I posted on the last page, there's no way to release Crystal internationally without breaking a feature, "romhacking" the game, or only releasing in some countries (iirc Korea only got G/S which were partially based on Crystal's code).

Thank you for the informative posts, even though it seems like a majority of the thread didn't read them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Game Freak acts in the best interest of The Pokemon Company, not just Nintendo.

Yeah, but Nintendo is the majority owner of TPC, aren't they? I guess the structure isn't fully publicly known, but that's how I've understood it. But perhaps they still can't just say "port this game to the Switch", I don't know.

Dremorak

Banned
Okay, optimistic time:

They are saving Crystal for the switch virtual console reveal.

Pessimistic time:
Dammit Gamefreak, lazy devs

So...Heart Gold/Soul Silver is still the Gen 2 game to play, correct?

Absolutely. If you're not interested in a 'pitch perfect' experience for what the original was like and don't mind shelling out the extra cash, get HGSS.

OR you might consider the fact that pokemon caught in the VC ones are easily transferrable to the new versions of pokemon due to the bank. Getting your crew off of HGSS would be a giant pain in the ass.

I wonder how many people are going to go back to Gen 2 and realize how messed up the pacing is and how poorly the new Pokemon are distributed.

People planning on making an all Gen 2 team, don't get too excited unless you like using Togetic or Noctowl or whatever. The best Gen II has to offer are either very late game, tied to dumb swarms or trade evolutions.

Thinking about a potential team for me, I get

Feraligatr
Crobat
...err do I want to bother headbutting until I get a Heracross?
Umbreon maybe?
Xatu I guess?
Empty slot until I can get Donphan?

Meanwhile the dream would be
Feraligatr
Crobat
Scizor
Skarmory
Houndoom
Umbreon

But two are found way too late to matter and Scizor is a trade evolution. Umbreon is also kind of bad, since Dark is a Special type. Oh well...

When I replay Pokemon games, or play remakes, I often like to make my team as many of that gen as possible. First time through is whatever, I'll use whoever I like, but next passes I like to give new Pokemon a chance. But Gen II just makes that really, really hard, if not impossible, without making it too hard. Gen II Pokemon you can get before the Kanto are... bad.

Soul Silver I had a much easier time since I had Togekiss and Mammoswine (plus Typhlosion, Crobat, Red Gyarados and one other I forget, maybe Forretress? Or maybe it was Ampharos? Or Azumaril? Anyway, doesn't matter). No such luck this time around, and Togetic and Piloswine aren't really great at all.

Velcro Fly

I never beat gen 2 without using gameshark to level up before the elite four. 10 year old me knew that level curve was trash.

mebizzle

I wonder how many people are going to go back to Gen 2 and realize how messed up the pacing is and how poorly the new Pokemon are distributed.

People planning on making an all Gen 2 team, don't get too excited unless you like using Togetic or Noctowl or whatever. The best Gen II has to offer are either very late game, tied to dumb swarms or trade evolutions.

Feraligatr
Crobat
Umbreon maybe?
Xatu I guess?

Feraligatr
Crobat
Scizor
Skarmory
Houndoom
Umbreon

But two are found way too late to matter and Scizor is a trade evolution. Umbreon is also kind of bad, since Dark is a Special type. Oh well...

I like Togetic ;_;

Absolutely. If you're not interested in a 'pitch perfect' experience for what the original was like and don't mind shelling out the extra cash, get HGSS.

OR you might consider the fact that pokemon caught in the VC ones are easily transferrable to the new versions of pokemon due to the bank. Getting your crew off of HGSS would be a giant pain in the ass.

I don't care about having the same crew through 9 different games.
I probably won't even finish hgss...but it's nice to figure out the "definitive" versions.

How cool is it that we're a few months away from literally every generation of Pokemon being usable in a modern Pokemon game?

The only ones missing at this point would be Cystal's special Pokemon and Pokemon Stadium 1/2's special Pokemon, but the only difference for them is moves.

You know, they could have done some work translating for the languages they needed and fixing the content in the JPN release. Can't be to hard for a GBC game.

Peltz

How long do you think it will it take for Nintendo to actually have a significant user base with the Switch? With all the supply constraints, they are selling out but that's because there are just very few available for purchase.

Within 2017 they'll likely have an install base of 10 million or so if they can sell out. That's fairly significant.

You know, they could have done some work translating for the languages they needed and fixing the content in the JPN release. Can't be to hard for a GBC game.
I mean they could have, yeah. They just need to pay the localizers, the people who are now editing 17 year old code, the QA testers... aaaaand now Crystal is a $15-20 VC title which will promptly be classified as "Nintendo robbing us blind for 16 year old games".

I mean they could have, yeah. They just need to pay the localizers, the people who are now editing 17 year old code, the QA testers... aaaaand now Crystal is a $15-20 VC title which will promptly be classified as "Nintendo robbing us blind for 16 year old games".

Guess so, was just really looking forward to Crystal. Don't really want the other 2.

KHlover

Banned

Feraligatr
Crobat
Umbreon maybe?
Xatu I guess?

Feraligatr
Crobat
Scizor
Skarmory
Houndoom
Umbreon

When I replay Pokemon games, or play remakes, I often like to make my team as many of that gen as possible. First time through is whatever, I'll use whoever I like, but next passes I like to give new Pokemon a chance. But Gen II just makes that really, really hard, if not impossible, without making it too hard. Gen II Pokemon you can get before the Kanto are... bad.

Soul Silver I had a much easier time since I had Togekiss and Mammoswine (plus Typhlosion, Crobat, Red Gyarados and one other I forget, maybe Forretress? Or maybe it was Ampharos? Or Azumaril? Anyway, doesn't matter). No such luck this time around, and Togetic and Piloswine aren't really great at all.

Thyphlosion
HM trash

team done.

So for those wondering why there's no Crystal, I have a pretty good idea why. In Japan, Crystal has a building called the PCC (Pokemon Communications Center) that used the Mobile Adapter GB to connect to dialup servers and essentially worked like the WiFi features in Gen 4. Now, with how they mentioned they didn't want to do Gen 1 without being able to trade, they probably also didn't want to do Crystal without its biggest feature possible.

Now for other problems:
- They can't cut the PCC in the Japanese games because it's where you receive the Odd Egg and Eon Mail.
- While most of the mobile features were translated into English, they definitely weren't for the other international languages.

Either way, it would be too much work for a VC title.

They could literally alter the game to prevent you from going in the building and posting a sign saying it closed down. It would probably be less work than they'd done to get online trading with Box working

They could literally alter the game to prevent you from going in the building and posting a sign saying it closed down. It would probably be less work than they'd done to get online trading with Box working
There would be no Pokemon Center in Goldenrod, then. It replaces the Center from G/S, the international version put it back. They would also have to add the Odd Egg to the daycare because the Egg Ticket is obtained in there as well.
Pokemoncrystal_outside.png

Pokemoncrystal_pcc.png

It's a lot more trouble than it's worth to them, I guess.

Camjo-Z

Damn, Crystal was my jam. I don't know if I can settle for Silver.

here's my epic gen 2 team in case any of you want to copy my amazing strats from back in the day

Furret/Porygon2
Jumpluff
Ampharos
Kingdra
Forretress
Hitmontop

Crazyorloco

If it was so stupid, current gen consoles would literally just never get games because the predecessor always has a bigger install base, and since the new console would never get games it would never grow its install base and we'd just permanently be stuck with the last gen console.

This comment line is always ridiculous.

65 million versus 2 or 3 million users on the switch.

Actually that poster is right. People act like the Switch needs Pokémon right now. It doesn't. It's currently selling out without Pokémon. Mainline Pokémon games never release with a low install base. Check the records. Nintendo is making a good business decision here.

Plus let's get VC on the Switch first. That would be nice.

XandBosch

65 million versus 2 or 3 million users on the switch.

Actually that poster is right. People act like the Switch needs Pokémon right now. It doesn't. It's currently selling out without Pokémon. Mainline Pokémon games never release with a low install base. Check the records. Nintendo is making a good business decision here.

Plus let's get VC on the Switch first. That would be nice.

It's not about what it needs,

200.gif

Feraligatr
Crobat
Umbreon maybe?
Xatu I guess?

Feraligatr
Crobat
Scizor
Skarmory
Houndoom
Umbreon

I like lots of Johto Pokemon. I would have gone with Piloswine but I really like Lapras.
I mean you only really don't have access to Misdreavus, Houndour, Murkrow and another one that's slipping my mind till Kanto

You really don't need top tier pokemon in the single player, so yes, stuff like Umbreon is totally fine

Top Bottom