• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Remakes Announced for 3DS

georly

Why are people saying it has to be an straight remake or a sequel? Can't it be a unique adventure in Hoenn not really related to the originals, but with references and recurring characters for those who played the originals to notice?

Spiritual successor to ruby and sapphire? :p

Why are people saying it has to be an straight remake or a sequel? Can't it be a unique adventure in Hoenn not really related to the originals, but with references and recurring characters for those who played the originals to notice?
That's what people mean by sequel lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's weird since I think Brock is actually easier to deal with in Gen I since you can just use Growl/Tail Whip while Onix uses Bind and it doesn't have Rock Tomb.

It takes forever though. They did it this way so that Brock would actually have a (really bad) Rock move and so that the kids who like only Charmander and didn't pick up anything else wouldn't have to squish bugs until level 20 or so in viridian forest.

Tiamant

I can't believe what I'm reading.

Shiftry>Ludicolo, everyone knows that. Here, let me make it easier for you:

dark forest guardian > water mariachi

Ok? Ok.

Keyouta

My prediction for the next few years of Pokemon would be this:

2014 - Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

2015 - Pokemon Z or X2/Y2 (Nintendo will also reveal and release a new handheld this year)

2016 - No new Pokemon games from Gamefreak

2017 - Gen 7

So that gives a good four years between Gen 6 and 7's title games.

Dr. Buni

My prediction for the next few years of Pokemon would be this:

2014 - Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

2015 - Pokemon Z or X2/Y2 (Nintendo will also reveal and release a new handheld this year)

2016 - No new Pokemon games from Gamefreak

2017 - Gen 7

So that gives a good four years between Gen 6 and 7's title games.
I think Gen 7 will come in 2016, but I'd love to be wrong about that.
I can't believe what I'm reading.

Shiftry>Ludicolo, everyone knows that. Here, let me make it easier for you:

dark forest guardian > water mariachi

Ok? Ok.
Oh yes, finally another Shiftry supporter. Dark-type Tengu > Mexican Pineapple thing.

TheOGB

Banned
ibivaXCMdlM74t.gif

Avixph

If they allow trainer customization won't they have have to adjust Gym Leader Norman's appearance based on player's initial choices?

Also they should add additional smaller islands along the ocean routes to make the traversal less tedious.

I really doubt they will release sequels to 11 years old games. Part of the current Pokémon fandom weren't even born when RSE was released.

Hopefully Pokébank won't be available until late in the game, then. I don't want to read people complaining about the game being easy when the easiness is entirely their fault.

One thing is for sure, if the EXP share is the same as XY I will turn it off until post game.

I'm glad that people with a 3DS can finally play a Pokemon game! Oh wait...

I don't get it.

Edit: To clarify, I get that remakes of old games are popular, but this seems like a pure nostalgia play for a very specific age group. Maybe that's all people want. Did this game have complex story line that is worth replaying?

If they allow trainer customization won't they have have to adjust Gym Leader Norman's appearance based on player's initial choices?

Also they should add additional smaller islands along the ocean routes to make the traversal less tedious.
Did they do that with your mom in XY?

Frologic

This is probably the first time I've been excited about a Pokemon announcement, Ruby was the last Pokemon game I played and I played it a lot. I plan on getting the other Pokemon games but this is where I spent most of my time and I look forward to revisiting it.

Qurupeke

Eh it's pokemon. Does Norman even look like a father? lol

What don't you get?

Who is this for? For people who played this as their first Pokemon game and therefore have a lot of nostalgia for it? Was this game greatly different from a lot of the other games and is therefore worth bringing back? Was there a strong storyline worth re-experiencing? What's the appeal beyond nostalgia?

Ragus

Banned
I'm probably too hyped, just as I was with HGSS annoucement, as I was quite disappointed with those remakes. But who cares, choo-choo. I still remember playing Ruby on my silver GBA. The nostalgia is too big for me not to get hyped.

Did RS have a lot of post game content? If I remember correctly, there was a shitload more to do than in XY.

What's the appeal beyond nostalgia?

Secret bases and Berry Blender minigame.

Toxi

Banned
Who is this for? For people who played this as their first Pokemon game and therefore have a lot of nostalgia for it? Was this game greatly different from a lot of the other games and is therefore worth bringing back? Was there a strong storyline worth re-experiencing? What's the appeal beyond nostalgia?
I'd assume it's both for nostalgia and because the games are so far back most of the target audience hasn't played them, so they'll be "new" and Gamefreak can reuse assets.

The appeal for me is that Hoenn produced flawed but interesting games, and I want to see if they can take everything good about Gen 3 while fixing the bad.

Nostalgia. people give Gen 1 fans shit, but then again most of the gen 3 fans are just as bad, if not worse.

Yes.

What's a father supposed to look like?
I don't see why they couldn't do this again then.

Yes, yes, yes. It's a Pokemon game in a different setting with update graphics and mechanics from the original.

Nostalgia. people give Gen 1 fans shit, but then again most of the gen 3 fans are just as bad, if not worse.
But the WORST are Gen 2 fans. And don't even get me started on Gen 4 fans. Gen 4 fans are so bad they make Gen 5 fans look like Gen 6 fans!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm probably too hyped, just as I was with HGSS annoucement, as I was quite disappointed with those remakes. But who cares, choo-choo. I still remember playing Ruby on my silver GBA. The nostalgia is too big for me not to get hyped.

Did RS have a lot of post game content? If I remember correctly, there was a shitload more to do than in XY.
Seeing as XY had like nothing...

Sandfox

Secret bases and Berry Blender minigame.

Pokemon games really don't have a ton of post game content unless they're a remake or 3rd version.

jholmes

I find it frustrating and baffling that so many people complain that Nintendo is doing nothing interesting, worthwhile or original with the Wii U, and yet so many people are bouncing off the walls with excitement over Nintendo remaking the worst Pokemon game just a decade after its initial release.

This will be the first Pokemon RPG release I do not buy. Zero interest.

DNAbro

I'm glad that people with a 3DS can finally play a Pokemon game! Oh wait...

I don't get it.

Edit: To clarify, I get that remakes of old games are popular, but this seems like a pure nostalgia play for a very specific age group. Maybe that's all people want. Did this game have complex story line that is worth replaying?

I don't understand what's confusing about a remake. It's a game that people liked and a new generation haven't experienced. That simple.

Also unrelated but X/Y is waaaaay more enjoyable without exp. share. 2nd playthrough feels a lot more rewarding like this.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok the more I think about it I don't want that X/Y crap in my RSE :/

The graphis/fps in X/Y were poor, I prefer sprite work, BW2 were very good already.
Also I miss having a better overview where I am.

I was so disappointed with X/Y, I'm just scared they pull another one like this. Think about giving us a challenge GF, give us an aviable Hard mode from the start, with higher levels on the enemies. Give us late game and rebattleable gymfights.

I find it frustrating and baffling that so many people complain that Nintendo is doing nothing interesting, worthwhile or original with the Wii U, and yet so many people are bouncing off the walls with excitement over Nintendo remaking the worst Pokemon game just a decade after its initial release.

This will be the first Pokemon RPG release I do not buy. Zero interest.
That was five years ago. Haven't you gotten over it by now?

Gen 2 is the only extensive post game that's not in a third version/remake.
Which is why the Johto region is completely gimped and Kanto is a wasteland when compared to the originals!

Top Bottom