• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Shuffle |OT| Every Day I'm Shuffling

RiggyRob

Do the Delay Disruptions last for the whole stage? I used one on Mega Altaria and it didn't disrupt anything for the entire battle, but the item's description isn't exactly clear.

Just to answer my own question, Delay Disruptions don't last the whole stage, since Mega Mawile managed to shrug it off, but it does seem to last a good 10 or 15 moves and the enemy's countdown timer is paused on whatever number it starts with, so you could potentially get a few extra moves without any disruptions.

zroid

Banned
Fuck you, Vaporeon!

zlCfzTCsLu8uzKKaOs

Macka

This is surprisingly fun, been playing it in bursts all day. The waiting is eventually going to kill the game for me though.

Dak'kon

I had to cheese Mega Mawile by grabbing Lucario, Charizard and Combusken and then using Torchic in the Mega slot and just doing combos of 3 + 3s and 4s when possible to whittle down her health. Took me around 30 lives in total trying various strategies but I've still not spent any in-game currency.

So the game uses Street Pass, why didn't they decided to use Play Coins too?
Since it already uses Street Pass, it would be a nice way of "buying" Crystals or Hearts, Pokeballs or whatever.

The game's very addictive, but the problem is that I don't think the F2P model works as well on a portable console than it does on a smartphone, for instance.

zroid

Banned
I'd be surprised if play coins weren't discussed at some point during development. It seems really obvious.

I'm guessing that not supporting them was a conscious decision, unfortunately.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Sir, if we implement play coins, people will just abuse it & not spend money!"

"YOU LEAVE PLAY COINS AS CURRENCY OUT, THEN!"

Dreavus

+1 for play coins.

So the game uses Street Pass, why didn't they decided to use Play Coins too?
Since it already uses Street Pass, it would be a nice way of "buying" Crystals or Hearts, Pokeballs or whatever.

The game's very addictive, but the problem is that I don't think the F2P model works as well on a portable console than it does on a smartphone, for instance.

It's close, IMO, but I agree it's not quite there.

Biggest problems are having the system with you and having the game launched.

If you can literally only play for 10 minutes because of the heart system, having to: exit out of whatever you were playing before, launch the game, play a few rounds, and quit out, starts to feel like a bigger pain than it probably is.

On a smartphone you can switch over to whatever game in an instant.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Not at all. It's perfectly playable for 10-20 minutes at a time without spending a penny. Perfect to have on a handheld, IMO.

It is fun. I'm actually sad when I run out of hearts, but happy I can play again soon. And all without spending a dime!

I agree! This game is fun. After my 5 hearts, I'm pretty much done playing and ready to go on to something else, and then I feel ready to come back to it later.

It's so well done, I feel BAD because I'm never going to give them my money - for a good little game.
But I supported Rusty's Real Deal Baseball experiment, so I don't feel that bad.

"Sir, if we implement play coins, people will just abuse it & not spend money!"

"YOU LEAVE PLAY COINS AS CURRENCY OUT, THEN!"

Why would they ever use Play Coins? How in the world would that make them ANY money, at all?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
If you can literally only play for 10 minutes because of the heart system, having to: exit out of whatever you were playing before, launch the game, play a few rounds, and quit out, starts to feel like a bigger pain than it probably is.

On a smartphone you can switch over to whatever game in an instant.

... I'm confused. Isn't that EXACTLY what you do on any mobile game? Play a few rounds, exit out and play something else?

I think what you're saying is that the 3DS OS is not as "speedy" when switching out games, than a mobile device? I can agree with that, but we're talking about seconds. I have no "patience issues" when pressing the Home button and clicking another game on the screen and waiting for the bootup. I'm not sure how much time that is VS a mobile game but it's pretty negligible.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Why would they ever use Play Coins? How in the world would that make them ANY money, at all?
Exactly. It's easy to exploit earning play coins, so there was no point in putting them in. People would just continue earning Play Coins because, despite taking longer, it's at least free.

RiggyRob

Mega Altaria giving me trouble. Tips?
I found using a Delay Disruption helped to stop it freezing my Pokemon in place. Use as many superffective Pokemon as you can with the strongest Mega you have.

... I'm confused. Isn't that EXACTLY what you do on any mobile game? Play a few rounds, exit out and play something else?

I think what you're saying is that the 3DS OS is not as "speedy" when switching out games, than a mobile device? I can agree with that, but we're talking about seconds. I have no "patience issues" when pressing the Home button and clicking another game on the screen and waiting for the bootup. I'm not sure how much time that is VS a mobile game but it's pretty negligible.

Not to mention, the New 3DS should be quicker in closing/booting up games anyway.

aka_bueno

He probably means that on phones, you can suspend games without having to quit out of them when opening another, since phones can run multiple apps at a time in the background.

On 3DS you can't suspend one game for another, you have to save your game if you don't want to lose unsaved progress and then completely shut down and exit one game before opening up another. So you can't jump in between games in an instant like he's describing.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Exactly. It's easy to exploit earning play coins, so there was no point in putting them in. People would just continue earning Play Coins because, despite taking longer, it's at least free.

Right, I agree. Was someone suggesting that they should have put them in? I was disagreeing with that person: there was no reason for them to put in Play Coins.

He probably means that on phones, you can suspend games without having to quit out of them since phones can run multiple apps at a time in the background.

On 3DS you can't suspend one game for another, you have to save your game if you don't want to lose unsaved progress and then completely shut down and exit one game before opening up another. So you can't jump in between games in an instant like he's describing.

Okay, I understand, that's a fair point.

I personally do not play any mobile games, at all. So I have no problem waiting seconds for another game to boot up while I back out of another game. I guess if my "normal" was mobile gaming, then maybe I'd be annoyed at the delays in close and reopening another game.

Maybe it's just a generational thing. Like when people complain about "loading times". Hell, if you grew up with a PlayStation/Saturn era - you don't ever bitch about load times. Everything beyond that era loads INSTANTANEOUS to me.

Not to mention, the New 3DS should be quicker in closing/booting up games anyway.

I think that he is complaining because you need to close the game you were playing... let's say I'm playing Smash Bros. and want to play a quick Pokemon Shuffle game, I need to close Smash, launch Shuffle, I finish playing Shuffle and want to switch back to Smash I need to boot it up again.

This is a behavior present on all consoles AFAIK

aka_bueno

Right, I agree.

Was someone suggesting that they should have put them in? I was disagreeing with that person: there was no reason for them to put in Play Coins.

Play Coins could have been used in this now that I think about it, another missed opportunity to incorporate a 3DS feature. Just treat it like they do with Street Pass. Limit it.

Maybe you could spend a certain amount of Play Coins on a specific boost. One separate from the rest that you can buy with in-game coins. Limit the amount you can buy in a day if you want. Several ways they could have added in Play Coins without even remotely hurting their pay model.

zroid

Banned
Lucario is a pain in the arse

the gameplay in the EX stages is so different from the regular stages. it's so spammy.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Play Coins could have been used in this now that I think about it, another missed opportunity to incorporate a 3DS feature. Just treat it like they do with Street Pass. Limit it.

Maybe you could spend a certain amount of Play Coins on a specific boost. One separate from the rest that you can buy with in-game coins. Limit the amount you can buy in a day if you want. Several ways they could have added in Play Coins without even remotely hurting their pay model.

Good point.

I mean I have a lot of Play Coins anyway that never get used... it's always refreshing when a new game remembers they exist.

But obviously they weren't trying purposely to use all the console features, this game doesn't even have 3D! The could've at least had the monsters on the top screen in 3D and have them bouncing around on the screen would've been neat or cute.

aka_bueno

Good point.

I mean I have a lot of Play Coins anyway that never get used... it's always refreshing when a new game remembers they exist.

But obviously they weren't trying purposely to use all the console features, this game doesn't even have 3D! The could've at least had the monsters on the top screen in 3D and have them bouncing around on the screen would've been neat or cute.

Yeah, like I've said before: this game has no production value. I get that it's a free to play game, but man the presentation is lazy. The top screen battle monsters are just flat 2D head shot images of monsters that get bouncy stretched to signify movement heh.

Having the battles at least resemble a traditional Pokemon battle on the top screen, even if not as advanced as the mainline 3DS Pokemon titles, would have at least been fun to watch unfold. If that's too much then at least give the top screen Pokemon have some more movement to them, anything to get rid of how static everything is.

Anywho, game is still fun and addictive! I'll be playing this for a while if they keep adding content to it. But did this make anyone else just want Puzzle and Dragons Z and Super Mario Edition that much more?

Dreavus

Right, I agree. Was someone suggesting that they should have put them in? I was disagreeing with that person: there was no reason for them to put in Play Coins.

Okay, I understand, that's a fair point.

I personally do not play any mobile games, at all. So I have no problem waiting seconds for another game to boot up while I back out of another game. I guess if my "normal" was mobile gaming, then maybe I'd be annoyed at the delays in close and reopening another game.

Maybe it's just a generational thing. Like when people complain about "loading times". Hell, if you grew up with a PlayStation/Saturn era - you don't ever bitch about load times. Everything beyond that era loads INSTANTANEOUS to me.

Yeah, I was thinking about suspend here. I was also referring specifically to the F2P style games that limit your play time and making a comparison across there. It's not a generational thing at all.

In these kinds of games you can't sit down and play for half an hour, because the game is designed to not let you do that unless you're going to drop some cash. Thus, you are relegated to short bursts of about 10 minutes (or less if you've played recently) at a time. Personally, on a smart phone I think this works out better, because my phone is pretty much always on me, apps get suspended and load up instantly, and you can jump in for a round or two during a spare moment and all it takes is pulling out my phone.

If we're talking about the same thing on the 3DS, unless I have the game open already, I need to exit out of my other game and launch this one up. Depending on the game we're probably talking more about a few minutes then seconds (Have you tried switching games from SSB4? It's a good minute or so). At the risk of sounding impatient, this isn't the best environment for these quick burst F2P games. That's saying nothing of the difference between having a 3DSXL somewhere on my person versus just having a phone in my pocket. I'm not saying the game is unplayable by any stretch. I'm not saying the 3DS is bad for playing a game on the go, or that the load times are too long in other situations. I was just agreeing with Ally of Justice that F2P games like this are much more convenient on a smartphone.

If they released this particular game on smartphones, which probably won't happen, I'd choose that version over the 3DS version any day of the week.

MicH

Lucario is a pain in the arse

the gameplay in the EX stages is so different from the regular stages. it's so spammy.
It's so weird going from the regular "take your tine" faceplate to the EX matches. I sometimes completely panic and can't find a single match :lol

zroid

Banned
It's so weird going from the regular "take your tine" faceplate to the EX matches. I sometimes completely panic and can't find a single match :lol

and the thing is you don't even need to find matches, since it allows free swapping. the game plays more like Pokémon Puzzle League.

Robin64

Play Coins could have done something, but no limit on what that is would be dangerous. There's a browser exploit floating around that allows you to get as many Play Coins as you want.

Kouriozan

Slowly reaching the last normal level (134 at the moment) but oh man I'm so broke after Mega Glalie *-*
Need the weekend Meowth event.

Edit : apparently, when you finish the Mew stage once per day it gives you 1000 coins, will try this soon then.

Haines

Banned
Game still has its hooks in me...and my wifey now. Logged on and caught the daily as well as mew. I might play some later but I imagine I'll just give the hearts to the wifey.

I'll never put money into it as I see absolutely zero reason to, but it's a fun free diversion.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'm curious if anyone is spending money on this? I play it every few hours and never had the desire to spend money.

I have the desire.

The fact that I have about $15 to my name until pay day helps. Hopefully I don't have the desire when I get paid!!!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Welp fuck, I didn't mean to spend coins on the great ball when the Pokéball with a catch rate of 55% failed. :|

Ah well at least I get 500 coins a day just for checking in, though I do wish I could use them to buy hearts. Honestly have three currency is just annoying.

Top Bottom