• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun and Moon will be 3.2 GB, almost twice the size of XY

I highly doubt it's more contents.
I remember reading somewhere that this will be the first full 3D game, not like XY or oras where it was just the encounters that where 3D (as well as viewing pokemon) so I would think that's why it's so large.

I remember reading somewhere that this will be the first full 3D game, not like XY or oras where it was just the encounters that where 3D (as well as viewing pokemon) so I would think that's why it's so large.
I thought overworld was still 2D?

Sol1dus

People need to relax. New Pokemon models and sound bites make up most of that size. I think people expecting a second region should keep their expectations in check.

I'm a little hyped

MuchoMalo

Banned
Going back to Kalos would be cool, but I kinda doubt it. I think the more likely culprit is all of those Z-moves adding what are basically a ton of cutscenes to the game.

Those are all in-engine and have basic backgrounds. They most likely barely take more space than the regular moves.

I thought overworld was still 2D?

The overworlds of all of the 3DS games are full polygonal 3D. Even the DS games has 3D overworlds but with sprites for all characters and such.

aadiboy

I think it's more likely the extra space is for all the new Pokemon, moves, and better graphics (no more chibi character models).

MuchoMalo

Banned
I think it's more likely the extra space is for all the new Pokemon, moves, and better graphics (no more chibi character models).

I don't see how just that could cause such an increase in space. I don't know about a whole region, but it could at least mean an actual postgame.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, it's good to know the game is absolutely packed with content (even if it means higher texture count or sound samples or whatever), but another region is just not likely at all, and download size is a pretty bad hype indicator.

That said, I'm so damn hyped for this game. Can't wait for the game.

Those are all in-engine and have basic backgrounds. They most likely barely take more space than the regular moves.

The overworlds of all of the 3DS games are full polygonal 3D. Even the DS games has 3D overworlds but with sprites for all characters and such.
The previous 3DS games were 2D only in the overworld. Everyone made a big stink about it.

Weird that people are getting hyped over this game because of its filesize.
There was a thread a while back about someone who felt they were getting value for money with new Gears of War game because it was 50GB. My search skills fail me so some of that might be wrong.

I'm all for it, if it means we get more content. Really hope it's not an other X/Y scenario...

Btw... This block nonsense needs to die on the 3DS. Why even come up with such a stupid system and not use GB/MB/etc.?
The Wii U uses MB and GB. Then again the Wii U doesn't have themes and took way longer than it should have to get folders (a problem which continues to persist console OS) so who knows if that is what goes forward.

Still, Wii/DSi/3DS blocks are dead easy. Rough calculation is divide by 8; theres your megabytes, in other words these blocks are megabits...it's the 90s all over again (Nintendo wishes it was...). Since this got me talking...now the Gamecube memory card blocks...those were TINY as each block was 8 KiB (in other words the memory card 59s at launch were four times larger than PS1 memory cards while 16 times smaller than PS2 ones).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The previous 3DS games were 2D only in the overworld. Everyone made a big stink about it.
Oh, you mean 3D effect, as in "pop out". That's true, I hope Sun and Moon have the 3D effect enabled everywhere. But I seriously doubt it, every trailer has the "Game in 2D. Some areas playable in 3D" message, as do the game boxes shown there.

What's your explanation for the size then?
Larger assets? Each island is bigger than we think? I don't know, but I'm not going to get my hopes up and give Game Freak the benefit of the doubt on delivering a post game that isn't total suckage like XY and ORAS.

They mean stereoscopic 3D, which the Gen VI overworld did not have, and I'm pretty certain they've confirmed that Gen VII will be the same.

MuchoMalo

Banned

No, it was grid-based movement that caused people to say that it wasn't 3D. 2.5D is more appropriate. The point is that this doesn't have any bearing on the size of the games because Gen 6 is already 3D graphically. I don't think that removing the grid is enough double the game's size. And don't tell me that I'm wrong, I have the games.

They mean stereoscopic 3D, which the Gen VI overworld did not have, and I'm pretty certain they've confirmed that Gen VII will be the same.

Oh. Well, then these aren't 3D either and it really has no bearing on anything lol

M3d10n

So how does one safely transfer data from sd card to another? Never had to upgrade before.

1- Remove the old SD card from the 3DS.
2- Put it in a card reader on a PC/Mac.
3- Copy all files and folders from the card to a folder in your PC/Mac.
4- Plug the new card on your PC/Mac.
5- Format the new card as FAT32(*).
6- Copy all files to the new card.
7- Put the new card on the 3DS and turn it on.

(*Windows' formatting tools will not allow cards larger than 32GB to be formatted as FAT32, you need to use a 3rd party tool like this one: http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter)

Don't 3DS carts only hold 2 gb?

Edit: I guess not. It'll probably have the same startup thing as Smash and MH4 on regular 3DS's

3DS carts go up to 4GB. This has nothing to do with regular 3DS vs new 3DS: the "startup thing" for Smash and MH4 was due to them rebooting the regular 3DS into a different mode that disabled a bunch of home menu functionality to give the games 96MBs of RAM instead of the standard 64MBs.

No, it was grid-based movement that caused people to say that it wasn't 3D. 2.5D is more appropriate. The point is that this doesn't have any bearing on the size of the games because Gen 6 is already 3D graphically. I don't think that removing the grid is enough double the game's size. And don't tell me that I'm wrong, I have the games.

Oh. Well, then these aren't 3D either and it really has no bearing on anything lol
How could you not know I was talking about the graphics lol

But yeah, like I said I don't think it's changed.

CazTGG

3DS carts go up to 4GB. This has nothing to do with regular 3DS vs new 3DS: the "startup thing" for Smash and MH4 was due to them rebooting the regular 3DS into a different mode that disabled a bunch of home menu functionality to give the games 96MBs of RAM instead of the standard 64MBs.

So far as I recall, the correct maximum is 8 GB for a 3DS cartridge, though such a game that ultizes all that space does not exist at the moment. Probably won't ever unless some developer decides to cram in a lot of uncompressed voice acting and music as well as hi-res cutscenes but I digress.

Maybe there really is another region. All though, I don't see why they would do that considering going back to Kanto in G/S and HG/SS was a mistake.

I think you're probably the only person in the world who thinks that. I mean, it's all subjective but.. an actual mistake? Really?

MisterHero

151 gen 1 pokemon
2 genders most
Both kanto and alola forms for all
Shiny textures for all
Some guests from lamer gens

That's the pokedex, obviously

Mael

Gen VI are 2D games? wut?
The only thing 2D in these games are menus and text.
The overworld had "dramatic" camera movement at times and there's clearly areas with camera being different than just regular viewpoint you get in pokemon games.
And if you mean stereoscopic 3D compared to 2D overworld that wouldn't require cart space more than a more powerful system to begin with.
Like on new3DS they could probably pull it off but not regular 3DS.

ryan13ts

All that space has to mean way more relevant content. Wouldn't it be awesome if we get to go to Kanto post game and go through a proper league and gym battles? It's not TOO far fetched considering the focus on Kanto Pokemon being the only ones to get Alola forms (Outside of Genwunner pandering). The in-game explanation could be that Alola is super close to Kanto in the Pokemon world.

Ah, I can always dream....

tauroxd

People expecting another region like in G/S are probably letting their imagination and hype to go too far, I mean, it is not impossible but I don't think it is that possible. The best thing to do is to hope that all that extra space means a proper post game content this time. I don't really see a graphical update, but I haven't seen basically anything so I don't know it that's truly the case, and I don't think the new features and forms are enough to have almost 2 times the size of X/Y, so it will probably be postgame but not necessarily a whole new region like Kanto in G/S.

People expecting another region like in G/S are probably letting their imagination and hype to go too far, I mean, it is not impossible but I don't think it is that possible. The best thing to do is to hope that all that extra space means a proper post game content this time. I don't really see a graphical update, but I haven't seen basically anything so I don't know it that's truly the case, and I don't think the new features and forms are enough to have almost 2 times the size of X/Y, so it will probably be postgame but not necessarily a whole new region like Kanto in G/S.
Yeah, I think we can be pretty sure that they havenøt used up all the extra space on character models.
team_skull_new_sun_moon_trailer.jpg

cHinzo

Oh shit, it's gonna be TWICE AS BIG AS KALOS!

HIDDEN POST-GAME ISLANDS!

TWO REGIONS!

AN ALOLA CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT!

#HYPE

Complistic

Ah, I had no idea they upped the graphical fidelity so much. Just looked at some game play, I can definitely see how all the added detail would increase the game size.

Top Bottom