• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon: The Nuzlocke Challenge

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
For anyone who doesn't know, the Nuzlocke Challenge is a challenging way of playing the mainline Pokemon games.

This comic explains it: http://www.nuzlocke.com/challenge-comic.html
In general, it means that:
* You can only capture the first Pokemon you see in each region.
* You must release any Pokemon who have fainted (as if they "died").

I was in the mood for Pokemon so I figured I'd finally try it. I'll try chronicling my adventures throughout playing Pokemon Y (I didn't like ORAS much, and I've played the other games too many times). I'm unsure if I'll be able to finish it but I might as well try.

Other rules I will be applying:
* Not using gift Pokemon (sorry Charmander).
* Not using EXP share (that's just cheating).
* Not using any healing items while in-match.
* Not checking stuff online.

Has anyone else done a Nuzlocke run? Want to tell us about it?

Robin64

The Starter can usually solo an entire game, so I'm assuming we need to put that away as soon as we catch our Bidoof or whatever.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Did it with Black 1 and found perma-death turned the campaign into a vastly more engaging experience. The other Nuzlocke rules are practically superfluous outside of limiting captures, but it's the only way to play a Pokemon campaign in my eyes now.

The Starter can usually solo an entire game, so I'm assuming we need to put that away as soon as we catch our Bidoof or whatever.

Yep, my starter has always been a tank. Beat most of the games without switching much at all, unless I have a type disadvantage.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam

Right, but I'm betting it's not infrequent that it gets knocked out at least once a game (in which case it is gone forever in the challenge).

sohois

What about Pokemon you are given, or Pokemon like legendaries or Snorlax? Can you still catch them?

Seems like X/Y would be too easy. I beat that game with only a single regular caught Pokemon. The rest were the 3 starters you get given, the Snorlax, one of the fossils and the legendary. I guess if you turn off exp. share it at least becomes slightly challenging

sohois

Only if they're the first thing you encounter on that route, right? So it's unlikely they would be.

I suppose you're right with Snorlax and legendaries, but gifted pokemon often occur within towns where you won't encounter any wilds. So that's still 2 other starters and a Lucario. Probably forgetting some others as well, seems like you were always being given shit in X/Y

SigSig

Nuzlocke runs are hard AF without abusing game mechanics, especially on the earlier games. It's always going well until by whatever freak accident one of your pokébros dies.
Check out the comic, it's amazing and so, so real.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I suppose you're right with Snorlax and legendaries, but gifted pokemon often occur within towns where you won't encounter any wilds. So that's still 2 other starters and a Lucario. Probably forgetting some others as well, seems like you were always being given shit in X/Y

You could read the OP and see that I'm not going to use any Pokemon who are gifted, nor use EXP share.

You will not be able to do it with a single Pokemon, you're gonna lose to some super-effective crit eventually.

Instead of making up rules to make the game harder, Nintendo needs to start adding difficulties to their games including pokemon. Pokemon online is amazing because all the different strategies people use and it shows you just how hard the game is. The story on the otherhand is overly-easy. no reason they couldnt add difficulties to make the game harder.

As for the Nuzlocke challenge, ive known people to do it but im not interested in it.

sohois

You could read the OP and see that I'm not going to use any Pokemon who are gifted, nor use EXP share.

You will not be able to do it with a single Pokemon, you're gonna lose to some super-effective crit eventually.

I was asking in general, not commenting on your run.

i do think that's the right choice for X/Y, game would still be too easy with the basic rules of the Nuzlocke challenge I'd imagine.

Caayn

So you can only capture one Pokémon per area? What happens if all Pokémon died, do you fail the challenge?

KidB

For an even greater challenge change the battle style to set, it adds another layer of depth to battles.

sgjackson

OH HAVE I!

I was bored one summer and had a copy of Leaf Green laying around, so I sat down in front of Bulbapedia and devised a strategy for completing a Nuzlocke with the traditional rules. This is what I came up with:

-The main fights to be concerned with are bosses. Normal trainers aren't really threats, especially if you've played RBY enough to have a general idea of what general types of Pokemon you can expect each trainer sprite to have and can pre-switch to account for that.
-There are a variety of Pokemon you can guarantee yourself access to, and building your team around these is wise.
-Picking Bulbasaur over Charmander or Squirtle minimizes your risk against Brock and Misty. There's not a lot of reason to pick Squirtle because water types are so numerous with the various fishing rods, and Charmander is basically hard mode.
-Surge lives right next to a cave with a 100 percent Ground pokemon encounter rate. They all know Dig. This is slightly risky because an Arena Trap Dugtrio is basically a wipe, but it's workable. In my actual run I ended up getting a Sandshrew next to Cerulean City.
-It's incredibly likely you'll encounter a flying type (Pidgey, Spearow, Doduo) that can handle Erika easily before you need to tackle her.
-All three of the Eeveeloutions have merit - Jolteon is a sick electric Pokemon, Vaporeon is a tough, hard hitting water Pokemon, and Flareon's actually really useful as a fire type and pseudo-dark type firing off Shadow Ball/Quick Attack/Dig off of 130 attack, cleaning house on Sabrina and Agatha. I ended up going with Jolteon but if you're patient and willing to grind in the event of a catastrophe it's not a bad idea to hold off on picking an Eeveeloution in case something goes wrong.
-Snorlax also does the Flareon thing - slower but tougher, and ghost immunity is relevant.
-The Hitmons are useful as fighting types should you not catch a Mankey or Machop (or can't trade Machoke to evolve it). They're the worst Pokemon mentioned here but fighting is an incredibly useful type throughout the game.
-You could probably repel your way through the Power Plant to Master Ball a Zapdos, but I decided to forego legendaries.
-There are a zillion good Water pokemon - my plan was trying to get Staryu in the towns/routes it shows up in, and if I didn't luck out going with Lapras. I ended up getting it on my last shot.

I ended up with a Venusaur/Primeape/Sandslash/Jolteon/Dodrio/Starmie/Snorlax team I'd rotate guys in and out of as appropriate, with solid backups raring to go for everyone in the form of Hitmonchan, Diglett, an electric type from the Power Plant that's totally slipping my mind right now, and Lapras.

My only death was a Pidgeot during Sabrina's gym when I wasn't paying attention during a fight against a Channeler and I subbed in a Doduo I got outside of Celadon. I got to Victory Road, realized I'd have to spend hours grinding to effectively make it through the Elite 4 without revive spam like I usually do (think I was high 40s), and quit.

The above is why OP is not using gift Pokemon, because it totally breaks the spirit of Nuzlocke. XY has a similar issue - you get really easy access to two starters, a Lucario, a Steelix, and a Lapras.

i was bored okay

It's the only way I play now. I also use the rule of you can only get a shot at the first new/uncaught Pokemon you run into, so you don't wind up with six Pidgey. Although going back to old gens and doing a little planning can make things a lot easier. For example, if one route contains Pidgey, Rattata, and Geodude and you want Geodude (and Geodude/Graveler/Golem is a good Pokemon for this sort of run, and yes I happily trade to myself to get trading evolutions), and nearby routes contain Pidgey and Rattata, you can catch one of each on those routes, and then walk around the other route until you find a Geodude. You still have to catch the first one or else you get nothing, though. Accidental critical hits can still ruin that careful planning.

As far as gifts, legendaries, and special Pokemon like Snorlax go, just use Repel until you get to them. ;)

So you can only capture one Pokémon per area? What happens if all Pokémon died, do you fail the challenge?

Yes. Total wipeout.

EDIT: Another little optional rule you can throw on is that for every Pokemon you catch, you must give them a nickname. It sounds stupid, but it increases the tension a bit psychologically.

Also, Team Rocket gets a lot more scary since they use Pokemon that like to blow themselves up such as Koffing and Voltorb. A Self-destruct usually results in a KO. I've lost my starter that way a few times.

ar4757

5f8769b4-f54e-4790-98b4-697644f03789.jpg

The past couple months I've tried nuzlocking Sapphire (the GBA one) at least 10 times. Farthest I've got's been Mauville.

Dem crits.
Starter ain't saving you.

trixx

How do you beat the elite four, up in this challenge using set? Never cleared through an elite 4 without blackouts even in shift(easy) mode. Then again I don't use revives and barely use potions

The only one where elite 4 is easy is pokemon x and y. probably gen 2 as well

How do you beat the elite four? Never cleared through an elite 4 without blackouts even in shift(easy) mode. Then again I don't use revives and barely use potions

That's why. In a Nuzlocke, you can afford a lot of potions and things, because you won't be spending money on Pokeballs and Revives, for obvious reasons.

Sandfox

I got five badges into a Fire Red run before I got wrecked. I might start a new one tomorrow just for the sake of it.

How do you beat the elite four? Never cleared through an elite 4 without blackouts even in shift(easy) mode. Then again I don't use revives and barely use potions

You have to clear the E4 as well.

Crayolan

I've considered doing a nuzlocke quite a few times before since I replay pokemon games a lot, but every time I think about it I realize I'd hate not being to use whatever pokemon I want.

My preferred self-imposed challenge is no using healing items in battle+no grinding. And in gen 6 games also no megas/no super training/no amie/no exp share.

ZenaxPure

I've been looking for an excuse to play Gold lately (as I have a Gold cart with no cleared game on it which feels weird) so maybe I should do this. Main story in all the pokemon games are always piss easy so this might make it fairly interesting.

Wildean

Pokemon online is amazing because all the different strategies people use and it shows you just how hard the game is.

From X/Y I found the online mode far too hard to get into. I leveled up as necessary to match online level cap, but no matter who I came up against my pokemon were KO'd in one shot. It was the opposite of the single player.

trixx

I've considered doing a nuzlocke quite a few times before since I replay pokemon games a lot, but every time I think about it I realize I'd hate not being to use whatever pokemon I want.

My preferred self-imposed challenge is no using healing items in battle+no grinding. And in gen 6 games also no megas/no super training/no amie/no exp share.
This is also usually how I play. No potions/revives/antidotes etc.. Never go out of my way to buy those things.

This is interesting though, likely play through black 2 with this.

ar4757

From X/Y I found the online mode far too hard to get into. I leveled up as necessary to match online level cap, but no matter who I came up against my pokemon were KO'd in one shot. It was the opposite of the single player.

But they made it much easier (although not easy) in gen 6! The training part, at least.

Sandfox

Battling consistently well takes experience and understanding of the meta, but you shouldn't get killed in one hit like that unless your just letting them hit you with powerful super effective attacks every turn or have major flaws in your teams.

Nightbird

That's why it's stupid that they made the single player mode so easy nowadays. It doesn't prepare you even a tiny bit for what awaits you online

Sandfox

That's why it's stupid that they made the single player mode so easy nowadays. It doesn't prepare you even a tiny bit for what awaits you online

Even if the game was harder it wouldn't really make a difference since the main thing is learning the meta and knowing how to use that knowledge.

Syntsui

You need to properly train your Pokémons, just note that this takes A LOT of time. Also, there are obviously better Pokémons. You won't have an easy time using your favorites, this game is matchup heavy.

I want to do this but i don't have am expendable saves right now. Hours upon hours spent breeding is a hard thing to delete for a nightmare run in a game i don't understand will enough to survive that way. Next one I buy.

Even my Fire Emblem no reset run is difficult as hell psychologically.

Sandfox

Each route you mean?

Also what about the usage of pokemon centers/potions? Limitless or?

I'm gonna try this in Y, sounds fun.

Normally you can heal up however you want, but many people like to impose custom rules upon themselves. There are even different variations of the challenge all over the internet.

Griss

It's really the only way to play single player pokemon.

Actually releasing 'dead' pokemon is stupid, though. What you need is a 'fallen allies' box on your PC so that when the journey is done you can see, chronologically, who you lost. The memories will come flooding back, it's like taking notes.

Not only that, but it allows you to have all those pokemon still there for end-game breeding and stuff once your playthrough is over (the Elite 4 / Champion is the end of the nuzlocke challenge) and you start playing normally again.

What's great about the nuzlocke challenge is that it means that finding and catching pokemon is exciting again rather than a collect-a-thon, and that you end up using the oddest pokemon. For Pokemon Alpha Pelliper ended up getting me through almost the entire second half of the game. I just had to have anti-electric guys to back him up, he did the rest. I could never have predicted that he would be capable of that.

Also, if you don't like the base rules don't be afraid to change them. For example 'If you've caught the first pokemon you see on a route previously, you're allowed to catch the next one instead.' etc etc.

Normally you can heal up however you want, but many people like to impose custom rules upon themselves. There are even different variations of the challenge all over the internet.

'No in-battle items' was definitely a rule of mine.

Karu

May try this on my old-ass GBA with Crystal - my eyes will have to pay the price. Started a normal run, but damn... the magic was gone. Will see.

Well starter cannot faint because it counts as death. Which makes it tricky.
I have done a few (R/S/E being last successful one). It is pretty tough dealing with crits.
Healing items ban is an extra rule you can add.

Also to answer someone's question, yes you fail the challenge if all you Pokemon faint. Some challenges ban Pokémon centers to add to the experience.

Gentuu

Banned

Oki, I guess I'm gonna stick to the endless heals since I've only played Y through once.

Sandfox

It's really the only way to play single player pokemon.

Actually releasing 'dead' pokemon is stupid, though. What you need is a 'fallen allies' box on your PC so that when the journey is done you can see, chronologically, who you lost. The memories will come flooding back, it's like taking notes.

Not only that, but it allows you to have all those pokemon still there for end-game breeding and stuff once your playthrough is over (the Elite 4 / Champion is the end of the nuzlocke challenge) and you start playing normally again.

What's great about the nuzlocke challenge is that it means that finding and catching pokemon is exciting again rather than a collect-a-thon, and that you end up using the oddest pokemon. For Pokemon Alpha Pelliper ended up getting me through almost the entire second half of the game. I just had to have anti-electric guys to back him up, he did the rest. I could never have predicted that he would be capable of that.

Also, if you don't like the base rules don't be afraid to change them. For example 'If you've caught the first pokemon you see on a route previously, you're allowed to catch the next one instead.' etc etc.

'No in-battle items' was definitely a rule of mine.
I'm personally a fan of nicknaming when caught and releasing when dead since as it makes the run harder on the player having to go through that.

DodgeDusk

I did this with my copy of X. Got two badges then lost in a Sky battle. That was heart-crushing. I've also done it with Blue, and actually managed to defeat the Elite Four, though not without a lot of casualties (I made this when my starter, Aron, got killed. I was using a randomiser that included all currently released Pokémon. If I'm remembering right, I think I lost 30 'mons altogether). Currently doing a Silver one, though I'm finding it really boring

I did a Nuzlocke for ORAS with some people, and I had a much nicer time with that game compared to the original. I typed out our rules for a friend's blog, so I can easily dig them back up.

• In Memoriam: Any pokémon that faints will be considered dead. The use of Revives is strictly forbidden, as is raising mons from the dead in a Pokécentre. Should an NPC accidentally heal my party, we have to adhere to the honour system and still consider it to be dead.
  • Gravekeeper: "Dead" pokémon will be deposited in the last PC box, which shall be our ‘graveyard’. This method will allow me to keep a neater log of our fallen comrades.
  • Game Over: The Nuzlocke challenge will be officially over when we are completely wiped out and have no more Pokémon. At that point, we’ll have to decide whether or not we have to start an entirely new save, or to continue playing Pokémon in the vanilla way using a boxed Pokémon and a deep sense of shame.
  • Patriarchy Protest: We shall only catch female or genderless Pokémon. If we get a male Pokemon through trading, he should get boxed. If your starter Pokémon is a male, you should get rid of it once you have a second Pokémon that is at least level 5. We'll have strong independent women who won’t need no man. *snaps fingers and bobs head* The reason for this rule is to be pickier with who we can catch, adding another layer of challenge.
  • Highlander:We will only have one Pokémon per species. First one we catch of a species will be the one we stick with. This rule is to prevent catching the same few critters over and over again to avoid having to level or comparing stats.
  • Pikachu is probably called “Pizza” in the UK: Any Pokémon we'll will catch will get a nickname. I want to see if this little bit of personalisation will make deads hit harder than they already will.
  • Dittos Can Be Classy Too: We shall not use a Ditto for breeding Pokémon. Similarly, we can only breed Pokémon when the purpose is to donate an egg to someone else, or to get a pre-evolution form. Breeding for stats or natures is explicitly forbidden.
  • Changing the guard: After each Gym, we'll box our highest level Pokémon and let her retire. This is to prevent powering through with only one or two heavy hitters. Retired pokémon can still be used for breeding.
  • Is bliss supposedly: While we’ve technically already played this game before, in the form of the original, we will still play this version as blind as possible. This means we will not look anything up. This means no checking which Pokémon are available and where they are, no looking up Gym Leaders, no looking up levels of when Pokémon evolve,... nothing. The only thing we'll going on is what we know and what we can figure out through the game itself.

Some of the rules were silly, but I think arbitrary challenges is what Nuzlocke runs are all about. I definitely had fun, and had to think more about the usual flow of Pokémon games. Especially the retirement rule made things significantly harder, since the trainer levels raised, while yours dropped routinely. It did help us spread our levels out, and we did use the EXP share stuff.

Most of the run itself went great, with only 4 mons in my graveyard, but the Elite 4 was a massacre. The only mon that survived to see me become a poké champion was Guttertrash the Ludiculo.

I liked to play the Wedlocke version that a youtuber created. The core is the same as a Nuzlocke (dead pokemon are boxed/released, one pokemon per route, etc), but the main change is that you need to pair your Pokemons (male with female, male with male, female with female, you choose). That means you cannot use ones without gender (Metagross, Magneton, etc), and that you cannot change to another pokemon out of the pair.

That plus another rule that I made about not going over the level of the current gym leader made the game a lot more interesting, since you need to choose a pair to fight the gym leader and if one of them dies, you will need to use the other one from the pair, even if they're weak against the matchup.

I tried it in Alpha Sapphire recently and it was fun to watch a Magikarp caught with my first rod become my main pokemon, since my starter died to a surprise critical hit.

Most of the run itself went great, with only 4 mons in my graveyard, but the Elite 4 was a massacre. The only mon that survived to see me become a poké champion was Guttertrash the Ludiculo.

Ludicolos are tough as fuck, mine was the one who killed Steven's Metagross after 3-4 deaths in my AS Wedlocke.

Forkball

I always thought it was an interesting challenge, but releasing them seems to be overkill. Why not just box them permanently? That way you can use them for post game stuff.

Top Bottom