• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon: The Nuzlocke Challenge

Griss

Still surprised that anyone could 'game over' a Nuzlocke run after the first gym. By that stage you should have about 10-15 pokemon or so and be pretty much innoculated from being screwed over by losing any one or two of them. The core game is still a very easy one, after all.

I'm personally a fan of nicknaming when caught and releasing when dead since as it makes the run harder on the player having to go through that.

I always nickname every pokemon no matter what game I'm playing. Releasing the pokemon vs putting them in a coffin (box) for the next 50 hours is no psychological difference to me. You feel bad either way. The enjoyment I get from remembering which brave monsters fell along the way is worth it to keep their corpses around.

I love Nuzlockes I really can't play them normal anymore.

I used the following rules

- Faints release or box it (boxing mainly done for progressions sake if you lose your only pokemon with cut and you need to get past a part with cut then you have to do something so it makes more sense to bring that pokemon back out, you still can't use it to battle but you can at least still progress, that said if you have a new pokemon that can learn cut then you have to do that first)

- Can only catch the first NEW thing you see in each route (aka duplicates clause) so if you've already got a Pidgey on route 1 and the first thing you see on route 2 is another Pidgey you can't catch that it has to be something you don't have already like a Rattata. I like this rule because it prevents you from ending up with 6 of the same pokemon and it makes it so you are more limited on options you eventually run out of pokemon in certain routes (even before the end of the game).

- As an added note I also generally have it be so if I get a Pidgey and it dies before it evolves, and then I encounter a wild Pigeotto then I can catch that Pigeotto.

- Nickname all of your Pokemon (this is just a for fun thing)

- No healing items in battle. So this is largely done because towards the end of the game you can have so many potions you can eventually just heal through some enemies attacks and just survive until they start using struggle which I just think is cheating. Depending on the game sometimes I allow 2 healing items in boss battles (since most of the leaders and bosses can use two items) but as a whole I really don't like doing it, yes it can completely screw me over (and I've failed Nuzlockes many many times) but if you aren't going to make it challenging then what is the point?

- No in game or outside of game trades, I don't mind Gift Pokemon because they are generally very useful (for the most part) and you get locked out of some of the most useful pokemon if you don't get them (Eevee for example, hes not the greatest but being able to be multiple elements is very very useful). I don't like doing trades though because they are generally either completely useless anyway (Farfetched) or way to useful (the Onix you can get in G/S for a Belsprout right before the first Gym battle). No outside of game trades to prevent me from getting pokemon like Golem, Alakazam, ect.

- Set option instead of Switch - makes the game much harder and more realistic, when you lose a Pokemon the enemy trainers don't get a free turn to switch out to something else, why should you?

- In the newer games ExP Share set to off, I don't mind it in the older games when it only works on 1 Pokemon (just saves you a turn from switching out) but the newer ones just make it a joke and your levels are much closer in X/Y to what you are fighting instead of generally being like 10 levels over.

- If all of your Pokemon in your party die, even if you have more in the box, its game over have to start again.

I've done a Nuzlocke on pretty much every generation (besides the original and G/S as those don't hold up very well, remakes are great tho). I've only ever completed one of them with the above rules which was Leaf Green, don't be to surprised you might think it can be easy but Nuzlockes (especially with no healing in battle) is really really hard and when you get your favorite crit out of no where you will rage, hard.

What makes a Nuzlocke fun though is that it generally makes you use Pokemon you wouldn't normally touch otherwise, you have to use the really terrible ones (like that clam thing in R/S) and it makes you feel much closer to the ones you get because your options so few and generally they will die like flies in a trap at certain points (HG/SS is by far one of the hardest, I've never even made it past the elite 4 in that one, no Kanto for me XD)

Also to Griss - it's still very easy to lose after the first gym because of 2 things, crits out of no where and unknown trainers, there is a double battle in X and Y that if you don't know its coming (its right before the third gym) it can completely screw you. Also theres another in Platinum that wrecked me twice even when I knew it was coming the second time.

Edited for extra rules I forgot to mention.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I should note beforehand that I only had one-and-a-half runs of X/Y and I don't remember much of it. I'm no Pokemon expert by any means and I'm not using any online sources. I don't even remember the gym order. Anyway, expect some rapid failures.

Vaniville:

I start my journey in Vaniville which is aptly named since it is remarkably plain. I chat to my two soon-to-be-useless-trainers girrrlfriends and head off to the next town. There I evidently waste my single-mother's money to sit in an expensive cafe with my friends, who want to nickname me "Big-D" or perhaps "L'il D", despite these innuendos I still can't use "Twat" as a nickname.

I go with Chespin as my first Pokemon (Greninja is just too cool, can't have him on my team). I named him Marimo for lack of a better name.

Marimo beats on a little girl's frog a bit and my mum sends me off to meet with a stranger and travel the world.

Route 2
On my first nervous step, I encounter a level 3 Pidgey - SCORE!
I capture it like the Pokemon master that I am and name it Edward. I go rest my exhausted Pokemon, it has been a tiring step.
My captured Pokemon and I watch as Serena teaches us how to catch Pokemon, and then we move on to beating on local wildlife a bit as I suppress my deep-seeded desire to capture more Pokemon.

Santalune Forest
I encounter a Scatterbug straight ahead, but accidentally kill it before I captured it. It's not like I wanted it anyway, idiot! Practice on some bugs.

I make into Road 3, and after trashing preschoolers I boldly go into the tall grass and catch a level 5 Fletchling whom I name V2. Maybe I'll be a flying Pokemon trainer? Just gotta find a dirty old cage to carry around.

I go into Santalune City and jump straight into the gym. Going up against some child laborer with a Ledyba I almost lose Edward, but I have some potions so I save him from an early end. I curse my own hastiness and figure I should scamper off to train a bit more.
I walk around the giant web, and after encountering another trainer I realise-- there's no way out. Unless I've missed something out I can't exit the gym unless I die or defeat the gym leader. Edward is low on health, as is V2 (I figured I should let him train earlier..). I only have one potion left. Is this run going to meet an early end?!

My party after using my Potion on Edward:
50Z3FU2rbAUXMBo4R6iW6yo0qFtpXt-eZ7PV2OITUGxbGSUSFNM5Akj-Z-IAfqH8Gb4KGKw7ZS8q4Lqzb2PPet_qwR5AZ3e5BArWK7z9FJdH224yp50Gu0TO4ojEzN6wbmn4lX8fXEtytxs_HXMMb9F4Hl2a0szxHCQLbIH00Hdq5Vz-m_nBHC0clfcLs6uZQCvU02hSzP6xDKjlQBkZ5nd4zDFWNytV1oVoJbz6XY_kknn9WK16a_ii6a4dcd9gKr-RIoZ8xI5eRLukAnYlM6MyDT2EuWJgdtpWVj0gu0zRh8oUsV19g8wSXrxfMr0PbrW_huYu4bvZeTFMinQtJTcMScC8ugykcXYB3FB-ycdVyjOmhDuIzZh914u8oOeaBOJ85Oujn71pmj41DBoUvbJZdYUA5L5yy6qVlMYFhqJrwxhtIO4ORYbTNuejhrgMa6-pqULvbKPV_szMRPn8_y-IkGtbInTyzM5Yw8jVCP8diz90bmqwvdXMAArrWA95OnM6iRBBTLG3P32it1_s5n9Qzi25DTxijimKnKPmAjk=w890-h667-no

I should note beforehand that I only had one-and-a-half runs of X/Y and I don't remember much of it. I'm no Pokemon expert by any means and I'm not using any online sources. I don't even remember the gym order. Anyway, expect some rapid failures.

Vaniville:

I start my journey in Vaniville which is aptly named since it is remarkably plain. I chat to my two soon-to-be-useless-trainers girrrlfriends and head off to the next town. There I evidently waste my single-mother's money to sit in an expensive cafe with my friends, who want to nickname me "Big-D" or perhaps "L'il D", despite these innuendos I still can't use "Twat" as a nickname.

I go with Chespin as my first Pokemon (Greninja is just too cool, can't have him on my team). I named him Marimo for lack of a better name.

Marimo beats on a little girl's frog a bit and my mum sending me off to meet with a stranger and travel the world.

Route 2
On my first nervous step, I encounter a level 3 Pidgey - SCORE!
I capture it like the Pokemon master that I am and name it Edward. I go rest my exhausted Pokemon, it has been a tiring step.
My captured Pokemon and I watch as Serena teaches us how to catch Pokemon, and then we move on to beating on local wildlife a bit as I suppress my deep-seeded desire to capture more Pokemon.

Santalune Forest
I encounter a Scatterbug straight ahead, but accidentally kill it before I captured it. It's not like I wanted it anyway, idiot! Practice on some bugs.

I make into Road 3, and after trashing preschoolers I boldly go into the tall grass and catch a level 5 Fletchling whom I name V2. Maybe I'll be a flying Pokemon trainer? Just gotta find a dirty old cage to carry around.

I go into Santalune City and jump straight into the gym. Going up against some child laborer with a Ledyba I almost lose Edward, but I have some potions so I save him from an early end. I curse my own hastiness and figure I should scamper off to train a bit more.
I walk around the giant web, and after encountering another trainer I realise-- there's no way out. Unless I've missed something out I can't exit the gym unless I die or defeat the gym leader. Edward is low on health, as is V2 (I figured I should let him train earlier..). I only have one potion left. Is this run going to meet an early end?!

My party after using my Potion on Edward:
2 things, yes you can get out you can no back the way you came and climb up to heal, and second the Pidgey is actually something you ALWAYS run into in X/Y so I generally don't count that as the first thing you see since the game decides that for you (although I've ended up with a Pidgey there anyway xD).

Good Start so far, man this is making me want to start up a Nuzlocke again... what game tho...

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
2 things, yes you can get out you can no back the way you came and climb up to heal, and second the Pidgey is actually something you ALWAYS run into in X/Y so I generally don't count that as the first thing you see since the game decides that for you (although I've ended up with a Pidgey there anyway xD).

Good Start so far, man this is making me want to start up a Nuzlocke again... what game tho...

Phew, I can indeed get out by going back to where I started and pressing A. Very intuitive.
I didn't know about the Pidgey, no matter.

I sorta feel like this is cheating, could have been epic had I gone into and survived that gym match. I wasn't sure about this earlier but from now on I won't look up anything online (and won't ask questions here). If my ignorance shall be my downfall, so be it.

EDIT: Also, is "no healing items" too harsh a rule? Or "no healing items mid-match"?

I always thought it was an interesting challenge, but releasing them seems to be overkill. Why not just box them permanently? That way you can use them for post game stuff.

And maintain a permanent remainder of all the Pokémon that died in your service.

Phew, I can indeed get out by going back to where I started and pressing A. Very intuitive.
I didn't know about the Pidgey, no matter.

I sorta feel like this is cheating, could have been epic had I gone into and survived that gym match. I wasn't sure about this earlier but from now on I won't look up anything online (and won't ask questions here). If my ignorance shall be my downfall, so be it.

EDIT: Also, is "no healing items" too harsh a rule? Or "no healing items mid-match"?

Some people do go with rules about once you enter a gym you cannot leave but personally whenever I've done that it just makes me grind more which defeats the purpose, I generally like to have my Pokemon near the same levels not massively over leveled to make it a joke. Also some of the later Gyms are insane not so much in X and Y but Platinum... my god.

I always run no healing items in battle it makes the game much much harder, and I will freely admit I generally lose because of it, but I think thats part of the fun, can you beat the challenge that you set.

Meffer

Instead of making up rules to make the game harder, Nintendo needs to start adding difficulties to their games including pokemon. Pokemon online is amazing because all the different strategies people use and it shows you just how hard the game is. The story on the otherhand is overly-easy. no reason they couldnt add difficulties to make the game harder.

As for the Nuzlocke challenge, ive known people to do it but im not interested in it.
You're right. The Nuzlocke community was formed from a desire to have a more challenging experience, more emotional moments (with your Pokemon) and use different Pokemon and methods you wouldn't normally use. The games themselves can't provide this kind of experience normally unless people implement these rules by themselves. The community is huge with many challenge spin offs and rules.
Gamefreak will likely never put in a hard mode, because the series is only for children when its for basically everyone young and old.

From X/Y I found the online mode far too hard to get into. I leveled up as necessary to match online level cap, but no matter who I came up against my pokemon were KO'd in one shot. It was the opposite of the single player.

Yes, there is a big investment for teams online. With items, abilities, and different pokemon the stategies are endless. At times you sit there and think "Wow that was smart" but when you play story its just pound on everything.

Honestly there is no excuse for Nintendo to not include difficulty settings. This is probably my one biggest reason I get annoyed with Nintendo. And even if they don't own Gamefreak, they still have a big hand in Pokemon so push them for difficulty settings.

Sigh... I kinda wish I could have finished my Fire red run.

http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/topic/8713773/8/

I had some really epic ideas involving Eldritch abominations, Mewtwo being genetically related to the player character, Legendaries joining forces to open wormholes, Arceus and Missingno being the Creation and destruction Deities, The PC and their Charizard falling in love.. (Yeah, I was hinting that for a while..)

it was awesome.

But then my save corrupted.

EDIT: I also Predicted Mega Evolution A YEAR BEFOREHAND.

One day I think I'll go back. maybe.. I'd need to find myself an artist.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I guess will no longer use healing items mid-match, then.

Alright, so I escape the gym by using the GAF hive mind. I go on practicing in Route 22. I fight some random trainer and go into the grass and meet.. a Dunsparce. I quickly capture it and bask in the glory of being the first person to ever willingly use a Dunsparce. I christen him "Dull".

I trained for a bit and then returned to the gym, where I easily beat the leader with V2. A bit of an anticlimax.

I did a blind nuzlocke run of Omega Ruby. I had never played the original gen 3 games. It was fun, managed to complete the game with three Pokemon in my party after the elite four. Most if the game isn't too hard until I had to go through the E4 with no revives. Also lost my starter half way through to a random crit. No one is safe. Now I think there is no other way to play the story mode.

The rules I used:

- Fainted Pokemon went into a "dead" box as I intended to use the same file for VGC after.

- Gift Pokemon are allowed, as it was my first try at a nuzlocke run. Ended up using Steven's Metagross through the game.

- Battles are on Set.

- Catch, but don't use, legendaries.

- Starter is chosen at random

Really make the challenge your own and have fun with it.

I guess will no longer use healing items mid-match, then.

Alright, so I escape the gym by using the GAF hive mind. I go on practicing in Route 22. I fight some random trainer and go into the grass and meet.. a Dunsparce. I quickly capture it and bask in the glory of being the first person to ever willingly use a Dunsparce. I christen him "Dull".

I trained for a bit and then returned to the gym, where I easily beat the leader with V2. A bit of an anticlimax.

You were pretty much overleveled for the first gym anyway but lol at Dunsparce of all things, I have never caught that lion cub thing there but I've always wanted one on a Nuzlocke.

emb

I've tried this a couple times.

The first time was on Emerald. I made it up to the Psychic doubles gym, and gave up. Lost to the gym leader multiple times, none of my monsters had advantageous moves, and I didn't feel like grinding hard enough.

Now I'm working through Leaf Green. Got up to Vermillion, took a break for a couple years, played some more recently. I got a Mankey right at the start that has been valuable. Lost a lot of team members that were already leveled up, so that was kinda sad. The main difference this run, is that I've kinda gotten scared into grinding a ton. Trying to be more legit, and consider it a loss if I completely lose a battle has me too afraid to rush into things. Kinda got lazy later though, leading to losing Butterfree and Vaporeon. :( So far I'm up to Cinnabar/Saffron gyms, not ready for either.

My general rules that I go with:
-No starter, as soon as you catch anything else
-Catch 1 pokemon from each named route/cave/city. If I miss the first, too bad.
-Put dead things into Dead box.
-No healing items whatsoever. Not during or outside of battle. Makes getting poisoned terrifying.
-And recently, if all my Pokemon get knocked out, that's game over (or they're all dead when I restart, if I have extras).
-No guides (important since I don't have levels/moves from gym leaders memorized).

It's an interesting sort of run, but it feels like the proper way to play is just to be too safe. Ends up kinda grindy and annoying, but making concessions to heal etc feels like I'm cutting corners.

Gentuu

Banned
My team:

bNrQE0C.jpg

Aquacorde Towen - Fennekin(Karvakorva)
Route 2 - Pidgey(Nokkis)
Santalune Forest - Weedle(Karpa)
Route 3 - Dunsparce(Olio)

Just beat first gym leader with pidgey/fennekin, looking good!

Sandfox

Still surprised that anyone could 'game over' a Nuzlocke run after the first gym. By that stage you should have about 10-15 pokemon or so and be pretty much innoculated from being screwed over by losing any one or two of them. The core game is still a very easy one, after all.

I always nickname every pokemon no matter what game I'm playing. Releasing the pokemon vs putting them in a coffin (box) for the next 50 hours is no psychological difference to me. You feel bad either way. The enjoyment I get from remembering which brave monsters fell along the way is worth it to keep their corpses around.

My issue was that all of my Pokemon had similar weaknesses and crits happen.

jnWake

A rule I like to use is to forbid myself to box Pokémon. That is, I shall use whatever the game hands me in the first routes. If one of my guys dies, then I have to pick one random guy from the box. That way maximizes the chance of using Pokémon you wouldn't normally use, which is a big part of the Nuzlocke fun IMO.

Also, since you don't get to pick you may reach some gyms without super effective or resistant mons, which is very fun (and challenging). Emerald is very hard to Nuzlocke with these rules.

Gentuu

Banned
This challenge makes me realize how bad I'm at this game haha.

My catches/deaths so far:

Aquacorde Towen (starter) - Fennekin(Karvakorva)
Route 2 (catch) - Pidgey(Nokkis)
Santalune Forest (catch) - Weedle(Karpa)
Route 3 (catch) - Dunsparce(Olio)
Route 4 (catch) - Combee(TupuHupuLupu)
Route 5 (catch) - Doduo(Jupe)
Route 6 (catch) - Espurr(Erkka)

Route 6 (RIP) - Nokkis, TupuHupuLupu and Jupe died against double furfous.

Route 7 (catch) - Volbeat(Antura)
Connecting cave zubat roost (catch) - Whismur(Luppis)
Route 8 - (catch) Spoink(Veeti)

Route 8 (RIP) - Karpa died to Axew.

Route 9 (catch) - Hippopotas(Jakki)
Glittering Cave (catch) - Cubone(Stikki)

Route 9 (RIP) - Jakki died to Sandile. (Sand-attack/sand-tomb combo BS)

Currently using Fennekin/Dunsparce/Espurr/Cubone.

Heading towards Cyllage city now.

KidB

This challenge makes me realize how bad I'm at this game haha.

My catches/deaths so far:

Aquacorde Towen (starter) - Fennekin(Karvakorva)
Route 2 (catch) - Pidgey(Nokkis)
Santalune Forest (catch) - Weedle(Karpa)
Route 3 (catch) - Dunsparce(Olio)
Route 4 (catch) - Combee(TupuHupuLupu)
Route 5 (catch) - Doduo(Jupe)
Route 6 (catch) - Espurr(Erkka)

Route 6 (RIP) - Nokkis, TupuHupuLupu and Jupe died against double furfous.

Route 7 (catch) - Volbeat(Antura)
Connecting cave zubat roost (catch) - Whismur(Luppis)
Route 8 - (catch) Spoink(Veeti)

Route 8 (RIP) - Karpa died to Axew.

Route 9 (catch) - Hippopotas(Jakki)
Glittering Cave (catch) - Cubone(Stikki)

Route 9 (RIP) - Jakki died to Sandile. (Sand-attack/sand-tomb combo BS)

Currently using Fennekin/Dunsparce/Espurr/Cubone.

Heading towards Cyllage city now.
There's a trainer with a Hawlucha in Reflection Cave that almost made me lose my Nuzlocke of Y. Make sure you're prepared in terms of Potions and levels.

Gentuu

Banned
There's a trainer with a Hawlucha in Reflection Cave that almost made me lose my Nuzlocke of Y. Make sure you're prepared in terms of Potions and levels.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I should be okay with 2 psychic pokemons in team. Hope these are not the famous last words.

PsionBolt

Maybe it's time I try another Pokemon challenge run... I've been a bit reluctant after my last failed attempt. I tried Gen I with all the usual Nuzlocke restrictions plus a "no Pokemon Centers" rule; it seemed possible for a while, but I ultimately failed with 6 badges. The most troublesome restriction when not using PCs is definitely PP usage -- you're forced to catch new Pokemon constantly and learn sub-par moves just to replace ones that have run out of PP.

I might go for it again soon with a Gen VI game. Gen I makes misses and crits so, so painful.

dity

I'd love to do one of these to make the game more interesting but I bet my entore party would end up faiting at some point. I'd like have to restart the game then right?

Gentuu

Banned
Do you guys consider cities as a different area to catch a pokemon?

For example from route 8 the water continues to Cyllage city, can I catch a water pokemon now from that water?

Anth0ny

I've tried it before, never have been successful.

I don't understand how you beat the elite 4 in a nuzlocke... I guess you have to grind like crazy?

Illucio

Banned
Did a Diamond Nuzlocke run.

I became very emotionally attached to a lot of my Pokemon and ended up losing to a fisherman (I think it was a fisherman...) because all my Pokemon were weak and I didn't have any potions leftover.

Gentuu

Banned
Well the 2nd gym leader rekt my ass, game over. Next time I probably should prepare better / grind some levels more. Overall interesting little experience which I'm gonna try later again some time.

Luigi87

Nuzlocke runs are always intriguing. I've never done one myself, but I have owned Black 2 since release, but never played it past the first gym. If I ever decided to start fresh I would definitely do so via Nuzlocke.

I had a friend who was excited to start one, and then she lost in the very first match in the game after you pick your starter.
... I don't think she tried again.

RedShift

I can't play Pokemon any other way now.

I have additional rules to make it a bit more challenging:
  • No starters. You can keep it until you have another Pokemon trained up to level 5, but then you release it. They're too good, they can basically solo the game.
  • Boxless. This makes it pretty hard. You're only allowed six Pokemon at a time, any others have to be released. If you catch one and it goes to the box you have to decide whether to keep it (and release one in your team) or let it go next time you're at a PC.

Does anyone else read Pettyartist's Nuzlocke comics? The leaf green run is complete (and great), and the Heart Gold run has been releasing at an amazingly slow pace for literally 4 years now and she's only at the lake of rage, but it's somehow interesting enough that I still regularly check for updates.

Decided to start up a Soul Sliver Nuzlocke because of this thread... it's not going great so far XD

Just reached Union Cave and I have...

Geodude (Shill) Level 14
Hoothoot (Ponta) level 10
Rattata (Bitster) Level 11
Zubat (Vonetta) level 8
Ghastly (Goosebumps) level 3
The Togepi Egg

Also in the bank I have a level 4 Ekans that I don't remember what I called it right now. You'll notice I don't have a starter... well... When I fought Falkner (the first gym battle) I thought the Pigeotto was level 11 (since the Pidgey was level 9) and its really 13 so after Shill beat the Pidgey he was down to like 18 HP and even with resistance his special def. sucked and he had been sand attacked several times so I switched him out for my starter who was level 13 (Cynaquil named Pyreback) he takes a tackle crit which knocks him down to 15 HP but does some damage with ember, Tackle only did about 12 damage so I think I'm fine his special def is higher then his normal defense anyway so I can take 1 more then switch back to Shill for the kill... Then Gust crits and kills Pyreback. Geodude thankfully got a Rock throw crit in return but I'm now without my starter and the rest of my team is garbage (Zubat eventually gets good but it takes a loooong time, Geodude/Gastly can't fully evolve, Rattata is shit and kill die to the first crit he takes and Ponta is like the worst normal/flying Pokemon ever, it learns Psychic moves but no type bonus to really benefit from it) I'm going to have a really hard time on the next rival battle (although the gym battle should be easy with Shill) oh and I missed out on catching a bellsprout on route 28 or wherever he first shows up because Zubats leech life crit, don't ask me how the crap that kills things but it found a way.

Opening I can at least get an Onix in the union cave, might use my old rod I just got if I can't get one to show up, need something from there.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I have watched people doing Nuzlocke but I will never do one, since I set up my own head story and set a 3-6, depending on how many Pokémon the gym leader has, Pokémon limit during Gym battle.

I always thought it was an interesting challenge, but releasing them seems to be overkill. Why not just box them permanently? That way you can use them for post game stuff.

Some people do.

Karu

Started one in Ruby (GBA, inner battery dead, though, apparently. lol) about 45 minutes ago.

Tonni, Mudkip Level 10, died to an Seedot using Bide.
Fritz, Zigzagoon Level 4, dead.
Sono, Wurmple Level 6, dead.

Awesome. =) Was fun while it lasted. :D

Mr-Joker

Banned
Started one in Ruby (GBA, inner battery dead, though, apparently. lol) about 45 minutes ago.

Tonni, Mudkip Level 10, died to an Seedot using Bide.
Fritz, Zigzagoon Level 4, dead.
Sono, Wurmple Level 6, dead.

Awesome. =) Was fun while it lasted. :D

Pro tip: Don't use an attacking move instead use a non attacking move, such as growl, leer, etc and bide will fail.

MLH

Thought I should give this a go, playing Pokemon Heart Gold on DS. Going for the basic Nuzlocke rules (First encounter in an area is to be caught & faint means gone forever).
So far I have:

Picked Cyndaquil (Cinder) as my starter
Pidgey (Pecky): Caught at Level 3 on Route 29
Caterpie (Isabelle): Caught at Level 4 on Route 30
Didn't realize route 31 was a thing and killed my first Caterpie encounter
Rattata (The1%): Caught at Level 5 in Bellsprout Tower
Just beat Falkner.

I have a few questions: The story gives me the Togepi egg, can I use that? Also, can I trade Pokemon with NPCs?

I never use the legendary pokemon, even in normal play, but I intend to capture them during my play through just for pokedex completion later (I guess that is okay?).

Thought I should give this a go, playing Pokemon Heart Gold on DS. Going for the basic Nuzlocke rules (First encounter in an area is to be caught & faint means gone forever).
So far I have:

Picked Cyndaquil (Cinder) as my starter
Pidgey (Pecky): Caught at Level 3 on Route 29
Caterpie (Isabelle): Caught at Level 4 on Route 30
Didn't realize route 31 was a thing and killed my first Caterpie encounter
Rattata (The1%): Caught at Level 5 in Bellsprout Tower
Just beat Falkner.

I have a few questions: The story gives me the Togepi egg, can I use that? Also, can I trade Pokemon with NPCs?

I never use the legendary pokemon, even in normal play, but I intend to capture them during my play through just for pokedex completion later (I guess that is okay?).

Egg's given to you are consitered Gift Pokemon, what I generally say is wherever you get that gift from counts a Pokemon from that area so you can either use Togepi or throw the egg in a box and use a fishing rod to catch something in the Town since thats where you get the egg.

Gift Pokemon and trades are up to you, I think the Onix you can get from the first trade in HG/SS is really OP though so I generally say no to them but I like things extra hard.

Yes its fine to catch legendaries for Pokedex reasons, hell some of the games (like X and Y) require you to catch the Pokemon. I don't have a rule against using legendaries personally (generally because by the time you get one my team is really really screwed) every time I've gotten far in Soul Silver I actually end up using Lugia because everything you can catch at the Whirlpool islands I already have generally and Lugia is the first thing I see that I don't already have (I use the duplicates clause so I don't end up with 10 of the same Pokemon) but its really all up to you.

Karu

Pro tip: Don't use an attacking move instead use a non attacking move, such as growl, leer, etc and bide will fail.
Thanks! Yeah, I stopped playing Pokemon a decade ago when you "naturally" do as a teenager and I never fucked with any details like that. "Oh he uses Bide? Haha, what an useless attack." :D

Will start my second, paranoid to the max-run at it. If I loose again I'm done. (Other than that, though. This is the way to play, period, as far as I could tell.)

Gather round Gaf and today I shall tell you the story of the legendary Blitzbug!

In the Johto region a young Pokemon trainer: Nuzzy, was struggling. After losing his starter at the first gym and more followed, by the time he beat the second gym, the rival, and got the cut HM he was down to 3 Pokemon (A Ekans, a Slowpoke, and a Geodude) and things were looking grim, the Ekans managed to crit a Kakuna of all things killing it meaning he couldn't capture anything in the forest when he was so desperate for new team members... Thats when Headbutt sensei arrived, teaching Geodude (Shill) the masterful skill in ways of knocking Pokemon out of trees. Armed with this new ability Nuzzy returned to Azalea town, he couldn't capture a pokemon here before since no water and no grass but armed with Headbutt there were Pokemon in the trees to find...

And that's when they met. Nuzzy had struggled and nearly given up at that point but all he needed was a little hope, and thats when Heracross appeared as a shining beacon of light in the dark depressing world of the Nuzlocke, Nuzzy named him Blitzbug as nothing else seemed appropriate, Blitzbug had one goal, Blitz the enemy and destroy them before he could fall.. He was young still at only level 5 but his stats were oddly high for his level and Nuzzy began training him right away, it was not easy being deathly afraid of any flying type move that would completely wreck his Fighting/Bug typing but Blitzbug endured and he finally showed what he was capable of at the 4th Gym.

Nuzzy had a full team again at this point (Heracross, Geodude, Slowpoke, Ekans, Raticate, and Farfetched) but he had herd the 4th gym was really serious with the leader having a fully evolved Pokemon but Nuzzy had a plan he knew the gym was Ghost type and he prepared his team as best he could teaching his two normal type Pokemon (Raticate and Farfetched) Dark type moves, making sure Slowpoke was at least a decent level, and Shill just about ready to evolve, and he even had a meatshield with Ekans if someone needed to take a hit. The only Pokemon Nuzzy wasn't able to really prep was Blitzbug, he was a decent level (20) but didn't know any moves that would be able to even hit a Ghost type pokemon accept for Aerial Ace. Despite this Nuzzy was confident, he had a good team and they were all around the same levels as the Pokemon in the gym and the trailers within fell before Nuzzy one after another however the gym leader Morty was another story...

It started well, Knawster (Raticate, Bitster my earlier Rattata died before evolving) easily took out the first pokemon a Gastly but when Haunter came out Nuzzy could feel the tone change, Knawster was put to sleep and murdered by crits before he ever had a chance to awaken, Vera (Farfetched) was able to take out the Haunter but this gym was not screwing around and out came Gengar. Like a minion of death itself it proceeded to murder Vera, Shill, Dopenahana (Slowpoke), and Norsefta (Ekans). Nuzzy felt it was over, all he had left was Blitzbug which even if he managed to beat Gengar there was still ANOTHER Pokemon after that. But as Nuzzy sent out Blitzbug the relatively young Heracross looked back at Nuzzy, nodded his head and faced off against Gengar.

Gengar was faster, critting Blitzbug, but to both Nuzzy and Gengars surprise Blitzbug took it. It hurt, pushing him down to just a few hit points but still he stood and as if the payback of all of the fallen Pokemon had joined with Blitzbugs soul, he struck down Gengar with an Aerial Ace (crit) and his game face was on... but it wasn't over yet. Another Haunter came out before Blitzbug. Blitzbug was weak but Nuzzy wasn't giving up, he had underestimated Blitzbug. He had a drive that no Pokemon Nuzzy had caught before had shown him. He refused to give up, he wasn't afraid to take crits or super effective attacks, his tenacity stood above all but it was more then that, Blitzbug wasn't just hard headed or lucky he was strong... and fast...

Before Haunter ever had a chance to do anything Blitzbug wasted him in a single move (not a crit my jaw dropped when this happened. Haunter and the others of that line don't have a great Defense but 1 hit on a Pokemon 3 levels higher them that wasn't a super effective attack or a crit? I didn't see it coming at all). The lights came back on and Nuzzy ran to Blitzbug and hugged him, it wasn't Nuzzy's victory it was Blitzbug's and he took proudly. Despite losing the rest of his team Nuzzy understood that he had made many mistakes and would likely make many more but what Blitzbug taught him that day stayed with him and their journey continued.

Through countless battles they fought together made new allies and lost many more but no matter the mistakes Nuzzy would make when the going got tough the Blitzbug came out and settled all bets before the cards were dealt. Gym after gym, Rocket team after Rocket team were toppled by this trainer and his unstoppable Heracross, the people began to whisper and despite the trainer getting much of the glory what people ingrained into their minds was not the trainer or his accomplishments, it was his smile when he brought out this Heracross with a level of trust like no trainer ever had for another Pokemon and this Heracross that refused to back down, refused to stop, he just kept Blitzing, taking out enemy after enemy before they could take him out. Many tried but every battle ended the same with this strange bug Pokemon standing proud and refusing to back down from any challenge, rumors spread that he could take on gods and when the people imagined the strongest Pokemon there was always one at the very top above all others, and thats when the legend began.

TLDR: Blitzbug my Heracross is beyond amazing and has saved this run of Soul Silver multiple times my team is currently Blitzbug (the biggest MVP I've ever had), Spinround (Electrode), Lialani (Gyarados, not the shiny one), Mockendack (Steelix, didn't even know you could catch one in the wild but it showed up in the cave that leads to the Safari zone, murdered like 2 Pokemon but hes been so worth it so far XD), and Yonem (Goldeen, basically here to surf and I ran out of other water Pokemon). It's not a full team and I've lost about 30 Pokemon in this run (some of the gyms are crazy and I swear the Rocket bosses just jump up in levels out of no where) I've got the 7th badge and finished off team rocket, I think I have to head to Whirlpool islands to get Lugia but that'll be difficult as the 5 Kimono girls and their Eeveeloutions are much higher levels then my current team.

Current goal: Train up everyone (Goldeen XD) and get moves for some of my Pokemon that are desperately needed (I played the stupid Voltorb flip for like 4 hours yesterday and got 8800 coins, need 10000 for Thunderbolt for Electrode XD) and figure out if Whirlpool isle is next or if its towards the 8th gym, hoping for the latter since I desperately need more people on my team (I've seriously thought about heading towards Victory road just to capture a few possible new Pokemon that would be decently leveled but I'm terrified of getting in a trainer battle I'm not ready for XD) Also need to find out where I get the Exp share, would make getting Goldeen up much much easier.

So with all that, anyone else working on a Nuzlocke run still, this topic got awfully quiet fast XD

dr_mario

Im thinking about doing a crysal run, simultaneously with afriend. Crystal i my favorite pokemon game, has a bunch of content,and perfect for my first ever nezlocke. Just today I read the whole comic.

I dont like the game over rule so I'll probably not regard it. Otherwse, I'll use:

- coffin box
- catch only first new pokemon
- decide on starter byID if possible in crystal, if not, I ask my gf 😉
- dunno about set rule. Does it change much?
- unsure about healing items. Thinking about fight-only so poison might be more dangerous without the fights being to hard on my first run. Maybe doing somekind of usage restriction would be good, regarding potion as pokecenter goodies or like a estus flask: just use 5 items per pokecenter cycle

Did I forget anything?

Tried doing one in platinum. Was doing well until the cranidos at the first gym swept my entire team (My turtwig was the only one who stood a chance, but it got one shot by headbutt due to it's defense being previously lowered by screech twice)

Top Bottom