• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Y mechanical changes interview

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm surprised no one made a thread about it. Courtesy of Bulbapedia. It was from an interview as seen in the link.

1. Pokémon gain experience even when the opposing wild Pokémon is caught (as stated in another interview). A caught Pokémon gives the same experience points as a defeated one.
2. Sky Battles are limited to Flying-type Pokémon and those with the Levitate ability (as previously confirmed). Some moves can't be used.
3. There is an adjustment to the inheritence system of breeding.
4. Ghost-type Pokemon can freely escape from battle without being influenced by Shadow Tag. (The official website mentioned trapping moves.)
5. The item Exp. Share will revert to Exp. All as in Generation I, where when one Pokémon holding this item participates in battle, all other Pokémon in the team receive experience as well. Unlike in Generation I, the experience is not split but rather received by all Pokémon. This means that the participating Pokemon receive 100% experience, while non-participating Pokémon receive 50% experience.
6. When distributing new moves and abilities, priority was given to new Pokémon.
7. The CGI style is different from that of Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Battle Revolution, because those games were supposed to emulate "realism within fantasy". Since the handheld Pokémon series is supposed to be accessible to everyone, battles were made "cuter".
8. The standard selection process for Pokémon to be Mega-Evolvable is based on three points: visual looks, popularity and game balance.
9. The power-up of Mega-Evolved Pokemon is meant to elevate them to the class of legendary Pokémon, hence the restriction of only one Pokémon being allowed to hold a Mega Stone during battles.
10. The timing to Mega-Evolve is selectable.
11. Some moves, with focus on special ones, have had their power and accuracy revamped.

EDIT: Thanks to Firestorm

• Spore has no effect on Grass-type Pokémon
  • Mr. Morimoto anticipates a trend in which Drought Charizard is popular and teams are built in order to counter it.
  • Horde encounters were introduced because Mr. Masuda said, “I would love to see places where Pokémon flock together!”. It allows us a glimpse into the lifestyle of Pokémon.
  • The idea behind sky battles was that players might want to battle other (NPC) trainers in the traditional line of sight, even if they were at a different elevation level (as in up a ledge/hill etc)
  • “Lowering the threshold for battles” was a consideration in this game. Super training is a “crash course” of sorts with the purpose of allowing even players without detailed knowledge of EVs to be able to stand up to strong players. Through Super Training, players will be able to understand the fundamentals of Pokémon training.
  • It is recognised that events such as those part of the WCS circuit (in other words VGC events) suffer from a lack of being able to project battles onto the big screen.
  • Through broadcasting video feed from live competitions using Nico streams, the excitement from the venue will be able to be transmitted directly to viewers.

I'm loving the changes made to Exp. All. There's no real downside to using it now, and it seems it's just designed to help us increasingly busy/aging gamers save time grinding. Awesome.

OceanBlue

I hope they make the game harder to compensate for EXP All but they probably won't. Ah well.

So if you have an EXP All and catch a Pokemon, does it get the experience from being captured?

Zornica

Banned
5. The item Exp. Share will revert to Exp. All as in Generation I, where when one Pokémon holding this item participates in battle, all other Pokémon in the team receive experience as well. Unlike in Generation I, the experience is not split but rather received by all Pokémon. This means that the participating Pokemon receive 100% experience, while non-participating Pokémon receive 50% experience.

Not sure how I feel about this...
I should be glad, I guess

FSLink

Banned
I just never liked EXP All in Gen 1 because it took forever to go through the EXP gain messages with a full party. Obviously won't be a problem if they make the text speed fast.
Kind of disappointed at the lack of a mention of a challenge mode like BW2.

I hope they make the game harder to compensate for EXP All but they probably won't. Ah well.

So if you have an EXP All and catch a Pokemon, does it get the experience from being captured?

Are pokemon games really hard in general? I welcome anything that allows me to level up faster for tournaments and special events.
I like the sound of the new improvements but I have a feeling that the air battles will be underused as usual.

ash_ag

Exp. Share was useful when leveling up a newly caught Pokémon or training one that has lagged behind a little in training. I usually train more than 6 Pokémon for my playthrough which made it especially useful, but I don't think Exp. All is something I want to use.

The other changes are very well put though. I'll say that I'm especially excited about the way they use Mega Evolution:
9. The power-up of Mega-Evolved Pokemon is meant to elevate them to the class of legendary Pokémon, hence the restriction of only one Pokémon being allowed to hold a Mega Stone during battles.

It may be a relative controversial concept, but I can see where they're coming from. It should be their pursuit that each and every Mega Pokémon is on the same tier. It's reasonable that not all Pokémon are naturally equally strong, but Mega Evolution should give a chance to each and every one of them. And by every, I mean that Mega Mawhile should be able to face Mega Blaziken or even Mega Mewtwo.

Also appreciate this one:
7. The CGI style is different from that of Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Battle Revolution, because those games were supposed to emulate "realism within fantasy". Since the handheld Pokémon series is supposed to be accessible to everyone, battles were made "cuter".

I understood the different appeal they wanted to give off from day one, and I'm glad it is an intentional design choice. The console battle games have always been closer to realism -- this is odd when we're talking about Pokémon, but it's interesting to see different games try different things and the main games staying true to their original nature.

Changes in powers/accuracy, balancing and other details are also incredibly important to me. It may be early to tell, but it seems that Game Freak is doing more steps with this one than with any Pokémon game before.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought it was a given that they were going for a cartoon-like look in the handheld vs the realistic look in the console games.

Wait, so you get 350% of a pokemons exp if you're using the exp all? (100%+5*50%)

That's ridiculous if I'm reading this correctly.

The one in battle gets 100%. What he would usually get. The others get 50% of that amount. Each, I guess. But then if you're swap them in and out, I guess they all get the 100% amount since they participated?

Dr. Buni

Exp.All + Audinos, oh my
Now watch Audino not being available in the wild in XY :p
storafötter;83616333 said:
Are pokemon games really hard in general?

That really depends of how one play. If one overlevel their Pokémon or take 6 Fire-types to use against a Grass-type Gym Leader, the game obviously become easy, but otherwise they can be quite challenging. In other words, the difficulty of a Pokémon game is up to who is playing it.

OceanBlue

Are pokemon games really hard in general? I welcome anything that allows me to level up faster for tournaments and special events.
I like the sound of the new improvements but I have a feeling that the air battles will be underused as usual.

I don't think the story content is ever that hard, but it's an inconsiderate request on my part anyway. The audience for Pokemon is large, and I'm sure that even if it were hard for me, it'd probably be easy for most other people lol.

Hobobloke

Problem with Gen 1 Exp.all is you had to deal with a bajillion dialogue boxes as it told you all the experience you were getting.

L~A

Hmmm... When I first read about the Exp All, I was 'uuuuuuuggggghh'.... then I read the thing again, and I was like "Oh, that sounds pretty cool". Could be quite useful to keep all Pokémon around the same level, instead of having one ahead of the others.

Raonak

Banned
Im guessing EXP all will be a postgame item, to make it easier to complete the pokedex.

would screw up balance a lot if it were given mid campaign.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm up for anything that makes training teams of 'Mons easier.

Hopefully this and Super Training will discourage people who resort to Action Replays or GTS-DNS tricks or the like to get teams of perfect Pokemon.

Plus it helps me get closer to my goal of having a living dex where every single 'Mon is trained and battle ready.

Dr. Buni

Hehe. But there might be an equivalent or an experience farming spot.

Well, the Vs Seeker coming back in XY would be a nice alternative to battling Audino over and over again. Re-battling trainers is way funnier than battling Audinos.

God, the DPPt gadgets were so glorious.

I'm up for anything that makes training teams of 'Mons easier.

Hopefully this and Super Training will discourage people who resort to Action Replays or GTS-DNS tricks or the like to get teams of perfect Pokemon.

Plus it helps me get closer to my goal of having a living dex where every single 'Mon is trained and battle ready.

Doubt it. Neither this, nor super training actually do anything about the elephant in the room when you're talking about perfect pokemon.

Urgh, stupid random IVs

I have a question. Do we still need the mandatory "HM slave" Pokemon to take up space in our roster just to cut trees, move boulders, fly to way-points and cruse the sea?

I don't think the story content is ever that hard, but it's an inconsiderate request on my part anyway. The audience for Pokemon is large, and I'm sure that even if it were hard for me, it'd probably be easy for most other people lol.

That really depends of how one play. If one overlevel their Pokémon or take 6 Fire-types to use against a Grass-type Gym Leader, the game obviously become easy, but otherwise they can be quite challenging. In other words, the difficulty of a Pokémon game is up to who is playing it.

Well I find the games relatively easy until I reach Elite Four because I do not use tactics such as Double Team or Sword Attack to breeze through. The biggest appeal for me in Pokemon games is trying out new Pokemon tactics all the time and enabling me to level up new pokemons faster is just a bonus.

I have a question. Do we still need the mandatory "HM slave" Pokemon to take up space in our roster just to cut trees, move boulders, fly to way-points and cruse the sea?

I will not be surprised that we still need HM slaves since we are talking about Game Freak. Nothing is as bad as Gen 4 HM slaving but it still is bad no matter what.

Shengar

Bravo on XP All, which makes breeding process less tedious and easier to do.
Now I just want "Hard Mode" availble from the very start.

Sounds great.

EV training and leveling have never been an issue. EV training was super easy in Gen IV/V. The problem is purely with IVs, which aren't addressed by any of this.

Piers

8. The standard selection process for Pokémon to be Mega-Evolvable is based on three points: visual looks, popularity and game balance.
awakened_mewtwo.png
My ass.

L~A

Dem legendaries

Oh, I didn't think about that! It's gonna make that moment, when the Pokémon finally stops moving, even more sweet... But I'd like them to explain just how much XP your Pokémon get :

1) as much as if you KO'ed it?
2) only half the XP?
3) a fixed amount that doesn't vary?

EV training and leveling have never been an issue. EV training was super easy in Gen IV/V. The problem is purely with IVs, which aren't addressed by any of this.

Wasn't it only super easy once you'd put in hours and hours at the Battle Tower to buy all those EV-multiplying items? I never did my EV training in those games, but that's what I have a vague memory of.

Wasn't it only super easy once you'd put in hours and hours at the Battle Tower to buy all those EV-multiplying items? I never did my EV training in those games, but that's what I have a vague memory of.

Pretty much yeah, but it was still leagues ahead of before and not really "problematic" if you wanted to be legit. I always EV trained but just couldn't be bothered with pouring enough time in to breeding for IVs. Never went outside the game for them either though, just rolled with the best the game would give me. I was never hardcore enough into competitive battles to be worried by the couple of stat points difference, though. Figured if someone put the effort in, they deserved the advantage.

Oh, I didn't think about that! It's gonna make that moment, when the Pokémon finally stops moving, even more sweet... But I'd like them to explain just how much XP your Pokémon get :

1) as much as if you KO'ed it?
2) only half the XP?
3) a fixed amount that doesn't vary?

It says in the OP that a caught Pokemon will give as much experience as a defeated one.

Hobobloke

Yeah.

Thankfully it seems to carry over Gen V's magnificent, very fast text.

Haven't played Gen V myself, is the very fast text noticeably quicker than in prior Gen's?

I think they could just can the wall of text as a whole with this new Exp. all, could just have "X earned Y exp" and "everyone else earned Z exp".

Shengar

Mega Evolutions are the single worst thing to ever happen to Pokemon.

Tips of advice: Don't use them. Count it like the things never happened or maybe self-imposed challenge. The reason why I don't take Mega Evolution too seriously is because they are completely optional.

Cromat

I thought the bit about mega-evolutions making Pokemon equivalent to legendaries was interesting.

It seems to suggest that the stat boost associated with mega-evolution is quite big, if it's enough to make Pokemon like Absol and Mawile legendary like.

Robin64

EXP All is a wonderful addition. Levelling Pokémon was never difficult, it was just time consuming. Allowing people to get Pokémon to higher levels more quickly allows them to face the parts of the game that actually are difficult, such as battle towers and other players.

Atlantis

Nope, they're fairly simple.

As someone who likes the train a full team of Pokemon in-game, Exp. All sounds like an amazing time saver. Stocking up on Repels and skipping random Pokemon encounters completely sounds magical to me.

Top Bottom