• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon X Y mechanical changes interview

Rizsparky

I thought it was a given that they were going for a cartoon-like look in the handheld vs the realistic look in the console games.

Judging by the stutters in framerate. I dont think the 3DS could handle a more 'realistic' look. Using the Pokedex 3D models would make the game play at a slow crawl.

Soodanim

Garchomp might be the first known case of a pokemon getting a mega evo that is actually a downgrade. IIRC the official site stated it lost speed which would likely make it worse than vanilla chomp.
But if it's getting an attack boost, then a baton pass of a few speed upgrades sounds very scary.

L~A

It says in the OP that a caught Pokemon will give as much experience as a defeated one.

Damn, didn't see that. I thought it was just a confirmation that catching Pokémon gives XP, didn't see the additional info. Thanks for pointing that out!

Well, this feature looks very interesting.

fraktur

Garchomp might be the first known case of a pokemon getting a mega evo that is actually a downgrade. IIRC the official site stated it lost speed which would likely make it worse than vanilla chomp.
even then, garchomp wasn't one of the pokemon who needed a megalution. it's already a pseudo-legendary. so why not make weakmons stronger?

I think a few Mega Evos are gonna be downgrades on the basis of missing out on hold items.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Haven't played Gen V myself, is the very fast text noticeably quicker than in prior Gen's?

I think they could just can the wall of text as a whole with this new Exp. all, could just have "X earned Y exp" and "everyone else earned Z exp".

Text scrolls really fast in battle in Gen V, almost instantaneous.

Firemind

I'd rather just get the main game over quicker to get access to the post game features. In that case I'd be an idiot not to use exp all.

While chomp didn't need a mega form, I understand why they did it. It's popular among the competitive crowd and is Cynthia's poster mon.

Tips of advice: Don't use them. Count it like the things never happened or maybe self-imposed challenge. The reason why I don't take Mega Evolution too seriously is because they are completely optional.
The reason I won't use them is I love Venasaur just the way he is. Back-flower size doesn't matter <3

Espada

6. When distributing new moves and abilities, priority was given to new Pokémon.

This is worrying. A lot of pokemon got shafted in Gen V by receiving almost nothing new. Hopefully they throw the older pokemon some bones.

DaBoss

Thank the heavens for EXP All. BW2 was really easy to make a team and level them up equally. X/Y seems to continue the trend.

clemenx

Banned
I think a few Mega Evos are gonna be downgrades on the basis of missing out on hold items.

Yep. Garchomp with its speed and choice band or whatever is probably going to be stronger than the Mega.
It's going to be very interesting how Mega Pokemon are going to fit in competitive scene. Held items are crucial.

DigitalOp

Banned
I dont remember Exp All? FireRed & LeafGreen?

I think its a good idea. I find myself training pretty evenly and then I get about 10 pokemon. I run through a cave or couple routes with a good set, and by the time I realize, the pokemon in my PC are outclassed by the wild..

On top of that, the pokemon in the wild will beat what I have by type! Its rather annoying being fainted while trying to train....

Now I can focus with one pokemon I want to push as a team leader and get the rest of the scrubs up to speed lol.

Elite Four runs and Audinos will be godly!

Side note: Guys!!! I snagged a 3DS XL!!! Whooo! So hype! I got a black one for 229 that comes with Mario 64 DS, Pokemon White, 999, and Fire Emblem Awakening!!!! I'm ready for this game!!

Does 3DS have a community thread like Vita does?

Bishop89

"The item Exp. Share will revert to Exp. All as in Generation I, where when one Pokémon holding this item participates in battle, all other Pokémon in the team receive experience as well. Unlike in Generation I, the experience is not split but rather received by all Pokémon. This means that the participating Pokemon receive 100% experience, while non-participating Pokémon receive 50% experience."

Awww helllll yeaahhh!!

trixx

Exp all should be post elite four to be honest because you really don't need to use an exp share unless a pokemon on your team is too weak or too low level to fight.

The main game isn't fun when your pokemon is overleveled at least in my opinion. Post game, yea who cares at that point

Revven

I honestly don't remember that thing at all.... What the....

I'm bout to boot up my Blue version and check my bag when I get home...

If you don't have it it's because you get it from one of the Aides depending on how many Pokemon you've caught iirc.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, the Exp. All thing seems to be one of the changes they were referring to on previous interviews about increasing the general pace of the game. Seems like they're trying to keep grinding to a minimum which sounds brilliant to me.

DigitalOp

Banned
If you don't have it it's because you get it from one of the Aides depending on how many Pokemon you've caught iirc.

Ahh I see, I tend to only catch what I like aesthetically... My true weakness.

Thanks for the info Gary! ;P

I wanted to get into breeding and raising this Gen though... Get involved with PokeGaf and trade babies. I think it might be time to actually work on catching them all.... I need to grab Black 2, and Soul Silver.. Maybe even Platinum...

Dawg

So, using exp all works like this:

Pokemon 1 -> switch to 2 -> switch to 3 ... -> switch to 6

And then you kill the opponent and everyone gets 100%?

ryan13ts

I'm pretty happy with these changes, especially the EXP all. It can only help the experience, not hinder it since the item is optional and you don't even have to use it if you don't want to. All it will do is help make training more Pokemon easier.

I agree that the games are usually easy, but if you're like I am, I tend to want to use more than just the same 6 Pokemon in single player, using alternates to my main team. This will help immensely with being able to keep my alternates up to level without having to sacrifice any progress I've made with my main team, a problem that I often ran into in previous gens.

It's a brilliant move on GF's part and I welcome the EXP-all back with open arms.

Espada

The Exp-All thing is really necessary because there are a lot of pokemon that are extremely weak and not fun to raise at all. A lot of Gen V pokemon are liabilities for your team until they hit their bizarrely high evolution levels.

Berordn

The Exp-All thing is really necessary because there are a lot of pokemon that are extremely weak and not fun to raise at all. A lot of Gen V pokemon are liabilities for your team until they hit their bizarrely high evolution levels.

Or they learn nothing in the way of usable attacks and their viable TMs are postgame or not available until evolution. Focusing distribution to the new 'mons is also a godsend.

icy_eagle

This is worrying. A lot of pokemon got shafted in Gen V by receiving almost nothing new. Hopefully they throw the older pokemon some bones.

Uhhh what?? Shell Smash Cloyster, Chlorophyll Venusaur, Speed Boost Blaziken, Drizzle Politoed, Drought Ninetales, Quiver Dance Venomoth.... I could go on

Depending on how early you get EXP All, smashing through the game with your starters seems all the more viable.

Another one who hated it in gen 1, seems not so bad here though.

Berordn

How did Exp. All/Exp. Share work in past gens? Was there a Gen without anything like it?

In Gen 1 having it in your bag would divide 50% of the XP earned to noncombatants. It ended up not being very much at all and it would take forever to show all the gains in the slow-ass text box.

In Gen 2 and beyond it was turned into a hold item, where it would always give 50% of the earned XP to the Pokemon holding it. (i.e. Pokemon A is on the top of the party and holding an XP Share, trainer switches to Pokemon B and Pokemon B defeats the opponent, Pokemon A gains 75% of the total XP for 'participating' and for the XP share, and Pokemon B gains 25%)

The XP Share has been included in every generation so far, in some form.

Dawg

In Gen 1 having it in your bag would divide 50% of the XP earned to noncombatants. It ended up not being very much at all and it would take forever to show all the gains in the slow-ass text box.

In Gen 2 and beyond it was turned into a hold item, where it would always give 50% of the earned XP to the Pokemon holding it. (i.e. Pokemon A is on the top of the party and holding an XP Share, trainer switches to Pokemon B and Pokemon B defeats the opponent, Pokemon A gains 75% of the total XP for 'participating' and for the XP share, and Pokemon B gains 25%)

The XP Share has been included in every generation so far, in some form.

And how does it work now? 100% for everyone? It's kinda confusing :p

Berordn

And how does it work now? 100% for everyone? It's kinda confusing :p

From the sound of it, 100% for participating Pokemon, 50% for non-combatants.

Or it just adds +50% XP to every Pokemon. I.E. Pokemon A and B fight and get 100%, Pokemon C doesn't and gets 50%; Pokemon A, B and C fight and get 83%.

Gonna have to see it in action to know for sure.

Zelias

Banned
Shame they were so vague about the breeding changes. Hope it's to make getting decent competitive pokemon easier though.

Top Bottom